PDA

View Full Version : Last 2 SEC bowl tie ins

BeastMan
04-05-2013, 09:51 AM
To give proper credit, shotgundawg on sps had me look at this in his thread about the Alamo Bowl. I looked at that John Solomon article (B'Ham bowl losing sponsor) and a John Pennington article saying all the bowl deals expire in '13. I link both of those and give my top 5 bowls I wish the SEC would get in on. I think my #1 is an absolute no brainier

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/04/05/sec-should-revamp-lower-level-bowl-ties/

I would like to open debate on my most controversial pick of a bowl I think the SEC should get in on, The Mobile Bowl
-mobile is a highly underrated town w/really good seafood and activities
-Daulphin street is really cool
-"Ladd Peebles is a dump" , while I agree with this, so is Legion field and the Indy Bowl. Mobile is a better town
-Close enough to Gulf Shores that you could do a weekend beach condo if you wanted
-It's a good proximity to most SEC schools,
- I went to the mobile bowl in 2005 for USM vs Ohio and it was a blast. For the game, the surrounding area is well policed and the locals are friendly. We parked in some guys yard for 5 bucks. Never did we feel like it wasn't safe as some say Lad is

FISHDAWG
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Mobile, NOLA, & St. Pete way better than Birmingham

BeastMan
04-05-2013, 10:47 AM
If we don't get in on the N.O. Bowl after the contracts expire, I'll be extremely disappointed

dickiedawg
04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
1. New Orleans Bowl- Obviously a great city and a good fan destination. We already have a tie-in here, though, so that pushes it down the list for me some. There's also the prestige factor, which is currently zero.

2. Beef O Brady- We already have three tie ins in Florida- Gator, Cap One, Outback. Also, it seems like after the SEC tourney in Tampa that everyone seemed to hate Tampa as a location. That was probably just MSU fans because it was so much farther.

3. Alamo- Would be cool to have the PAC-12 matchup, but as you said distance would be a concern. If the goal is to add a game in Texas, the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Houston would make sense, too, for another Big 12 matchup.

4. Godaddy.com- I agree with all of what you said, and a tie-in with the Sun Belt champ could be cool (I realize at this time Mobile doesn't necessarily get the conference champ). I can't really speak to the stadium being a dump, but so are the Liberty Bowl and Legion Field.

5. Belk- Another good choice. It's obviously not in a "footprint" state but it's certainly in the region. With the Big East the way it is, we could certainly supplant them when the tie-ins expire.

Why is there not a bowl game in Missouri? St. Louis would be a great bowl site, and there's not a game within several states. Kansas City would also be an option.

engie
04-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm ALL for adding the Alamo Bowl against the Pac12 as a high-level matchup...but other than that?

2014(average year for SEC):
1) SEC playoff(say hosted at Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl on this given yr)
2) Champions/Sugar Bowl
3) Orange Bowl(ACC vs highest ranked B1G, SEC, or Notre Dame available)
4) Cotton Bowl
5) Cap 1 Bowl
6) Alamo/Outback Bowl
7) Alamo/Outback Bowl
8) Gator Bowl
9) Music City Bowl
10) Liberty Bowl

On the absolute worst year, we have 2 fewer teams represented here(not in Orange -- and lose our spot in Cotton to the "league of 5" school)...
In the "best year", we will have 5 teams in the "new BCS" scenario -- with 2 in the playoffs -- meaning the Liberty gets SEC team #11...How many more tie-ins do we need?

ETA: Expansion to 16 puts all this talk back in play IMO...and we probably need 12 total tie-ins...

dickiedawg
04-05-2013, 07:03 PM
The OP is speaking of replacing the Birmingham and independence bowls.

engie
04-05-2013, 07:55 PM
The OP is speaking of replacing the Birmingham and independence bowls.

I'm aware -- but those bowls are most likely going away anyway in the playoff. That's all I'm saying...

BeastMan
04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
There is always the possibility of picking up a better bowl like the Alamo or Belk and bumping the music and liberty down to 9 and 10. I'm ok w/that too but I think we need to get that lower bowl in Nola for sure