PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss and the "2nd Letter"

Big4Dawg
02-02-2016, 11:23 AM
I've seen a lot of rumors about a "2nd letter" coming from NCAA. Could the reason for the 2nd letter instead of one large letter be this?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2012/10/30/ncaa-enforcement-infractions-new-structure-penalties-mark-emmert/1668621/

The NCAA approved a new enforcement structure Tuesday that will dramatically change the way it punishes rules-breakers in college athletics.

The changes ? which take effect Aug. 1, 2013 ? mean coaches will be held more accountable for infractions that happen under their watch and could be penalized in a way that follows them if they change jobs....

....The NCAA said conduct breaches that occurred before Oct. 30, 2012, and are processed before Aug. 1, 2013, will be subject to the current process and penalties.

Could this letter be for infractions before Oct. 30, 2012 and the 2nd letter be for after?

The telling thing will be if Tunsil is mentioned at all in this letter. If not - then a 2nd letter is almost guaranteed.

The only thing I've seen about another letter is this (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/29/report-ole-miss-receives-notice-of-allegations/):

The NCAA opened up a second investigation last season following the news regarding Laremy Tunsil and his connection to a sports agent. That investigation was a separate incident and is not connected to this ongoing investigation, as far as anyone knows at this stage.

We'll see.

Ralph
02-02-2016, 11:26 AM
May be wrong but I thought byork confirmed the tunsil agent situation was in the first letter. I have a feeling that 2013 class is being looked at hard.

Big4Dawg
02-02-2016, 11:29 AM
May be wrong but I thought byork confirmed the tunsil agent situation was in the first letter. I have a feeling that 2013 class is being looked at hard.

Ah. You're right.

"Outside counsel for the University of Mississippi received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA - another step in a more than three-year process. Included in the notice are alleged violations of NCAA bylaws in women's basketball in 2012; track and field in 2012-13; and in football, with many of the allegations dating back to the former football staff in 2010 and the withholding and reinstatement process around Laremy Tunsil in fall of 2015."

Jack Lambert
02-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Until there is a second letter there is no second letter.

blacklistedbully
02-02-2016, 11:44 AM
I wonder if it has something to so with wanting to avoid any complication due to statute of limitations. Even though there appear to be enough provisions in the rules to bypass the SOL, there still might have been a timeline issue that caused the NCAA to break it up into 2 NOA's.

Coach34
02-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Until there is a second letter there is no second letter.

Sounds like an OM fan talking about the 1st letter

Jack Lambert
02-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Sounds like an OM fan talking about the 1st letter

That's what they are saying. It's going to be a fun day when we all hear about the second letter.

AlmostPositive
02-02-2016, 12:17 PM
The New York Times, which doesn't give enough of a shit about college football to lie, says their source says there is indeed a second separate investigation which means yes, another letter. Who knows when. Whatever else you think about the NYT, they have scrupulous editors and fact-checking. This is not the case with 99% of southern sports journalists/bloggers/random assholes at the water fountain.

JoseBrown
02-02-2016, 01:09 PM
The New York Times, which doesn't give enough of a shit about college football to lie, says their source says there is indeed a second separate investigation which means yes, another letter. Who knows when. Whatever else you think about the NYT, they have scrupulous editors and fact-checking. This is not the case with 99% of southern sports journalists/bloggers/random assholes at the water fountain.

Don't forget the "AP" also mentioned the "ongoing investigation" when explaining the timeline included in the first letter..and beyond..