PDA

View Full Version : 2/2/2016 Severe Weather Event Thread

TheRef
02-02-2016, 09:16 AM
https://i.gyazo.com/2d683698d822cce62d250deb1c617472.png

This is the latest image from the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma. As you can see, pretty much all of Eastern Mississippi, Western and Central Alabama, and Middle Tennessee are under the highest risk for severe weather today. Let's look at a few of the other outlook graphics that SPC put out.

https://i.gyazo.com/3bc41d2de0fd25a7d5b2a8cfdcb8e34d.png

https://i.gyazo.com/18da0297b6945eba48afa1817a3ed8eb.png

The first image is the percentage chance of a tornado within 25 miles of a point and the hatched area means a 10% or greater chance for an EF2 tornado or stronger within 25 miles of a point within the hatched area. The second image is the SPC's percentage chance of severe winds (54 MPH or greater) within 25 miles of a point. What this does is explain WHY the highest risk area shifted further east. Basically, what the SPC sees in the latest model runs, and what I can see, is that the pre-front initiation will be in far Eastern MS and Western AL. Now the area between the two hatched areas should still watch out, because while you're not a part of the hatched area, you're close enough to keep a close eye on it.

Timing wise, it looks like we'll fire off about 4-5 PM with our pre-frontal storms. Now this is down towards the Meridian area, but everyone needs to be aware of where these storms fire up.

It_Could_Happen
02-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Ref you think they cancel class at 11?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Ref you think they cancel class at 11?

It's a possibility...there are two main things that will happen. Mid afternoon, the discrete cells will move over the area. Then later on tonight (think after the basketball game) the squall line will pass over.

It_Could_Happen
02-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm assuming the squall line is the worry right?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm assuming the squall line is the worry right?

Eh...Squall line will bring heavy winds and some hail. Discrete cells have the possibilities of much larger hail and tornadoes...so pick your poison.

It_Could_Happen
02-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Gotcha. Still new to all this stuff. Thanks for keeping us all updated

mstatefan91
02-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Eh...Squall line will bring heavy winds and some hail. Discrete cells have the possibilities of much larger hail and tornadoes...so pick your poison.

I'm not worried about class being cancelled. I just don't want to be stuck on campus when it hits.

I guess I'll have more info around 11.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Gotcha. Still new to all this stuff. Thanks for keeping us all updated

Of course! Also, please slap any person that says, "Oh it's so sunny out! I wish it would stay like this all day!" Because all they're doing is just adding fuel

mstatefan91
02-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Of course! Also, please slap any person that says, "Oh it's so sunny out! I wish it would stay like this all day!" Because all they're doing is just adding fuel

Can I also slap the people who are looking at the present radar (not future) and saying that nothing is there and everyone is worried for no reason?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Can I also slap the people who are looking at the present radar (not future) and saying that nothing is there and everyone is worried for no reason?

Yes...definitely. Tell them that they can say that after tonight.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Tell them it's there..they just aren't looking in the right place....

NWS New Orleans ‏@NWSNewOrleans 23m23 minutes ago
The enhancement within the outlined area is something we will be watching closely as it approaches. #lawx #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CaOEpGEVAAEhZJ6.mp4

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Ok sports fans. Heading out to the field. Flipped a coin and targeting the northern side of this between Tupelo and Oxford. Everybody stay safe and weather aware. Could be looking at a life threatening situation unfolding.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Ok sports fans. Heading out to the field. Flipped a coin and targeting the northern side of this between Tupelo and Oxford. Everybody stay safe and weather aware. Could be looking at a life threatening situation unfolding.

I'll keep you updated on stuff from my end, bud.

slickdawg
02-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Ref, aren't the overall synoptics very similar to the event just before Christmas that spawned the Holly Springs tornado, among others across the state? If I remember right, we had a powerful upper low moving through the plains towards the Great Lakes, strong jet, good fetch of Gulf Moisture .......

TheRef
02-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Ref, aren't the overall synoptics very similar to the event just before Christmas that spawned the Holly Springs tornado, among others across the state? If I remember right, we had a powerful upper low moving through the plains towards the Great Lakes, strong jet, good fetch of Gulf Moisture .......

Yes, but the position of the low is a little different and instead of this being a late-night system, this is more of a mid-afternoon system that is beginning much further East. But synoptic setup wise, yes it's very similar.

Beaver
02-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Won't be surprised if SPC shifts enhanced risk further west after seeing these 12z models...

TheRef
02-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Won't be surprised if SPC shifts enhanced risk further west after seeing these 12z models...

No change from the SPC on their risk areas. Everything is setting up as previously thought.

It_Could_Happen
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Ref honest opinion.. I get out of class at 1:45 would you stay on campus until that time?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 11:40 AM
Ref honest opinion.. I get out of class at 1:45 would you stay on campus until that time?

If I couldn't chase this? Yes.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Mesoscale Discussion #73 has been issued by the Storm Prediction Center. 60% chance of a watch being issued for the area.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd0073.gif

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 12:11 PM
If I couldn't chase this? Yes.

I see that the university has announced classes will resume. I teach at 2pm. Am I going to be stranded there?

Dawgbite
02-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Well if nothing eventful happens be sure and stop in at Moores Farm and Ranch in Pontotoc. That place is amazing. Never have seen so much "guy" stuff under one roof.

DownwardDawg
02-02-2016, 01:01 PM
All schools around Hattiesburg area are letting out early. PCS basketball game tonight cancelled.

mstatefan91
02-02-2016, 01:04 PM
I see that the university has announced classes will resume. I teach at 2pm. Am I going to be stranded there?

They are making another announcement at 1 pm.

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Basketball game is what concerns me tonight.

mstatefan91
02-02-2016, 01:18 PM
Basketball game is what concerns me tonight.
They will probably release a statement at 1 pm about the game as well. And it will probably say that they will make a decision around 4 or 5 pm lol

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 01:23 PM
What is it about MSU and Alabama playing basketball and tornadoes?

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 01:27 PM
First tornado watch is up....

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 9
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1220 PM CST TUE FEB 2 2016

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
EASTERN ARKANSAS
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
WESTERN KENTUCKY
SOUTHEAST MISSOURI
NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI
WESTERN TENNESSEE

* EFFECTIVE THIS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 1220 PM UNTIL
700 PM CST.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
A FEW TORNADOES POSSIBLE
SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE

SUMMARY...STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORECAST TO EVOLVE
ACROSS THE AREA OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS. STORMS CAPABLE OF DAMAGING
WINDS AND A FEW TORNADOES CAN BE EXPECTED.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 75 STATUTE
MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 50 MILES WEST NORTHWEST OF
OWENSBORO KENTUCKY TO 40 MILES SOUTHWEST OF GREENWOOD
MISSISSIPPI. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE
ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU9).
MS
. MISSISSIPPI COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALCORN ATTALA BENTON
BOLIVAR CALHOUN CARROLL
CHICKASAW CHOCTAW CLAY
COAHOMA DESOTO GRENADA
HOLMES HUMPHREYS ITAWAMBA
LAFAYETTE LEE LEFLORE
LOWNDES MARSHALL MONROE
MONTGOMERY NOXUBEE OKTIBBEHA
PANOLA PONTOTOC PRENTISS
QUITMAN SUNFLOWER TALLAHATCHIE
TATE TIPPAH TISHOMINGO
TUNICA UNION WASHINGTON
WEBSTER WINSTON YALOBUSHA

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaOrbf4WEAAbksP.png:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Guess who's in that watch? STARKVILLE BABY. In all seriousness, though, PLEASE have at least two forms of emergency communication nearby. Your phone, if enabled, will automatically warn you of any warnings issued for your area.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Update coming shortly via MaroonAlert on Twitter. Most likely will concern tonight's action and classes.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Also. A severe thunderstorm WARNING has been issued for Atalla and Leake counties until 2:15 PM

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Tornado Watch in effect for SE LA and S MS generally north of I-10 until 7pm. Graphics out shortly.

Tornado Watch 10 Is In Effect Until 700 PM CST For The Following Locations Ms Mississippi Counties Included Are Adams Amite Claiborne Clarke Copiah Covington Forrest Franklin George Greene Hancock Harrison Hinds Issaquena Jackson Jasper Jefferson Jefferson Davis Jones Kemper Lamar Lauderdale Lawrence Leake Lincoln Madison Marion Neshoba Newton Pearl River Perry Pike Rankin Scott Sharkey Simpson Smith Stone Walthall Warren Wayne Wilkinson Yazoo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaO6VouXEAAvdoX.jpg:large

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 02:22 PM
STAY ALERT....
Quincy Vagell ‏@stormchaserQ
Rotation just north of Redwater, MS, would not rule out a rain wrapped tornado: #mswx

Brandon Clement is chasing in that area right now on TVN

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Tornado Watch for ALL OF Mississippi until 7 PM. And I'm watching that storm....I don't like the direction its headed. At ALL

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Tornado Watch for ALL OF Mississippi until 7 PM. And I'm watching that storm....I don't like the direction its headed. At ALL

Yep... crazy...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaO7C5tWIAEKiVh.jpg:large

and Yes... watching it closely ass it goes along 25.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaO6otKUMAA6srI.jpg:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:41 PM
From Maroon Alert on Twitter

MSU Starkville Campus will suspend afternoon classes as of 3:30 PM today Feb. 2nd. Also, the campuses will close at 4 PM and all non-essential employees dismissed at this time. Colvard Union, Sanderson, and Library are operating under normal hours. All dining facilities will operate under normal hours. Tonight's basketball game will CONTINUE AS SCHEDULED. Use your best judgement in making decisions regarding your travel to and from game.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:49 PM
From the latest SPC Mesoscale Discussion that was just released:

DISCUSSION...SEVERAL DISCRETE SUPERCELLS ARE DEVELOPING WITHIN AN
APPARENT LOW-LEVEL CONFLUENCE AXIS EAST OF THE I-55 CORRIDOR. THE
LATEST RAPID REFRESH SUGGESTS SOUTHERLY 850 MB FLOW IS IN THE
PROCESS OF STRENGTHENING IN EXCESS OF 50 KT ALONG AN AXIS JUST EAST
OF THIS ACTIVITY...WHICH WILL SPREAD TOWARD THE ALABAMA/MISSISSIPPI
BORDER AREA THROUGH 21-22Z. COINCIDING WITH ENLARGEMENT OF
CLOCKWISE CURVED LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS...THE BOUNDARY LAYER CONTINUES
TO DESTABILIZE WITH INSOLATION AND INCREASING LOW-LEVEL MOISTURE
ACROSS MUCH OF EASTERN MISSISSIPPI. THIS ENVIRONMENT IS BECOMING
INCREASINGLY CONDUCIVE TO TORNADIC DEVELOPMENT...PARTICULARLY
NEAR/WEST THROUGH NORTH OF MERIDIAN...TOWARD STARKVILLE. THIS
INCLUDES THE RISK FOR A STRONG TORNADO.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
The part that we need to pay attention to is the part where it says: "This environment is becoming increasingly conducive to tornadic development. Particularly near/west through North of Meridian, Towards Starkville. This includes the risk for a STRONG tornado."

This is getting feisty out there.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 02:56 PM
Severe Thunderstorm WARNING until 2:30 PM for Choctaw and Winston Counties. This thing has some rotation on it via the storm relative velocity product on radar, but not enough to warrant a tornado warning yet. It's something I am keeping an eye out on though. This storm MAY clip Starkville on the Western edge.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:05 PM
The part that we need to pay attention to is the part where it says: "This environment is becoming increasingly conducive to tornadic development. Particularly near/west through North of Meridian, Towards Starkville. This includes the risk for a STRONG tornado."

This is getting feisty out there.

How often is Starkville called out in a Mesoscale Discussion?....

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/mcd0076.gif

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Michael Haynes ‏@MichaelHaynes 50s51 seconds ago
Tornado Warning for Scott and Smith County in MS until 2:45pm. #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPCgsFWYAE7jvo.jpg:large

Severe Warnings ‏@severewarn 51s52 seconds ago
Tornado Warning for Choctaw and Oktibbeha County in MS until 3:00pm CST. #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPCg1sWYAEWZzW.jpg:large

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:07 PM
NWS repeater in Ackerman is down. If you know anyone there MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALERT

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:08 PM
TORNADO WARNING for Choctaw and Oktibbeha Counties until 3 PM CST. This warning box ends right at the Starkville city limits, but I'd continue to watch it.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Current radar image for Choctaw/Oktibbeha warned storm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPDTBAWQAEz_Vm.jpg

It_Could_Happen
02-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Ref I'm seeing on tv the Starkville storm is going west of town are you seeing the same thing?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Ref I'm seeing on tv the Starkville storm is going west of town are you seeing the same thing?

Yeah. Looks like the current path has this storm going between Starkville and Mathison. I'd say near Wolf Run if not a little East of that.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Keep an eye on that cell north of Louisville... Looks to be getting stronger...

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:22 PM
A tornado WARNING has been issued for Neshoba County until 3:15 PM CST

Beaver
That area of dangerous rotation just went right over Ackerman. Yikes

ScoobaDawg
Just inbetween ackerman and sturgis right now...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPF23cVAAAZaPa.jpg:large

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:24 PM
A tornado WARNING has been issued for Neshoba County until 3:15 PM CST

Radar shows circulation right north east of sebastopol right now. tracking to Philadelphia

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:25 PM
All over.....

weatherUSA ‏@wxusa 56s56 seconds ago
Tornado warning is in effect for Scott, Jasper and Smith Counties in MS until 245. Pineville, MS is its path. #MSWX

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPGwwZVIAEAR3S.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPGjUPWEAACpxl.png:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I told y'all this would be a busy day for Meteorologists. This is our signing day today.

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 03:28 PM
Gotta hand it to MSU....they drag their feet until 1:40, then don't cancel class. I get 5 minutes into my 2 o'clock lecture, and we all get tornado warnings on our phones. Thanks for that.

Rayburn8
02-02-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm stuck in class. How's the storm looking for MSU?

Rayburn8
02-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Gotta hand it to MSU....they drag their feet until 1:40, then don't cancel class. I get 5 minutes into my 2 o'clock lecture, and we all get tornado warnings on our phones. Thanks for that.

Me too, sitting through physical science survey 2. Rather be out and back to my dorm. This was a huge **** up on MSU's part.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Clay County is under a TORNADO WARNING until 3:45 PM CST.

RC3
02-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Those buildings on campus are safer than your cheaply constructed apartment

Rayburn8
02-02-2016, 03:44 PM

My dorm is a building on campus. I'm a freshman.

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Me too, sitting through physical science survey 2. Rather be out and back to my dorm. This was a huge **** up on MSU's part.

It's really dumb. My students started getting alerts, so I stuck my head out the door and ask another faculty "what now?". Just a few minutes before the university message was classes would resume until 3:30. Despite that, we decide to let them go. Why not just get out front and cancel class? It's better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 03:46 PM

True, but it's just the confusion that I have a problem with. Why make students walk across campus for a class, when you know bad weather is on the way?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:47 PM
It's really dumb. My students started getting alerts, so I stuck my head out the door and ask another faculty "what now?". Just a few minutes before the university message was classes would resume until 3:30. Despite that, we decide to let them go. Why not just get out front and cancel class? It's better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

Because the University didn't want them on the road when a possible tornado was inbound...but that's just my guess. You wait a bit, let the first line of storms pass through, then you let them leave and let them get home in the relative calm.

RC3
02-02-2016, 03:48 PM
True, but it's just the confusion that I have a problem with. Why make students walk across campus for a class, when you know bad weather is on the way?

Safer than sending them to their cars

Rayburn8

Really tho. I get wanting to try to look good and have class. But they should of canceled everything after noon.

confucius say

Well we've screwed everything else up this week. Why stop with football.

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Well we've screwed everything else up this week. Why stop with football.

Ha! True dat.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:50 PM
SWC Tornado Warnings ‏@swc_tornado 1m1 minute ago
Tornado Warning until 03:45 PM local for Lauderdale & Newton Counties in MS... #mswx #myswc

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Because the University didn't want them on the road when a possible tornado was inbound...but that's just my guess. You wait a bit, let the first line of storms pass through, then you let them leave and let them get home in the relative calm.

I can buy that. That's why they should have just played it safe and cancelled everything after noon. That would have given everyone time to get where they needed to be, regardless if things escalated or not.

Rayburn8
02-02-2016, 03:51 PM
Safer than sending them to their cars
Delete

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 03:56 PM

Also, since both the City of Starkville and the public schools made their announcements earlier in the day, I'd think it would make sense for the university to follow suit.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Jason Cooley ‏@operation_chase 1m1 minute ago
Reported #tornado south of Newton, #Mississippi right now. #mswx #storm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPNtI-UMAEPHqw.jpg:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Newton county is getting hit hard right now.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Tornado Warning: Lauderdale, Newton MS (Meridian) until 3:45PM CST #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPQFskWYAAUJzS.jpg

BeardoMSU
02-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Sorry to sidetrack this thread guys, I really do appreciate y'all's updates.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:08 PM
CONFIRMED ON THE GROUND.

At 2:58 PM CST, a confirmed tornado was located 7 miles East of Newton, moving NE at 50 PH, confirmed by radar

Jennifer Watson ‏@JWatson_Wx 2m2 minutes ago
Debris signature on #tornado warned storm west of Meridian, MS...moving NE at 50 mph, seek shelter if in path. #MSwx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPQBdjWkAI7Mhv.jpg

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPR2agUkAAB7Py.jpg

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:17 PM
From MHP: Homes damaged in Newton County. No reports of where yet #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPQ2HgWAAEbHGV.jpg:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Collinsville, Daleville, and Prismatic are in the path right now of that storm.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Damage photos rolling in on Twitter from Newton County. I RT'd them all on @mwnweather

TheRef
02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
TORNADO WARNING for Noxubee and Winston Counties until 4:15 PM

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Isaac Williams ‏@Wx_Isaac 26s26 seconds ago
Tornado warning Noxubee and eastern Winston Counties until 4:15 PM. NOT including Louisville. DOES include Brockville. #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPUjytWAAATKsk.jpg

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Tornado Warning: Lauderdale MS (Bailey) until 3:45PM CST #mswx

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Brian Hutton Jr.Verified account ‏@brianwx 1m1 minute ago
Damage reported in Schamberville #mswx

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Alan Matthew ‏@AlanMatthewWx 44s44 seconds ago
Tornado Warning including De Kalb MS, Scooba MS until 4:30 PM CST #mswx #gtrwx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPVg65UUAAOY1n.jpg

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 04:31 PM
I'm watching the Noxubee storm. It looks like it may pass between Vernon and Millport, just south of me.. fingers crossed.. Then there is another cell behind it down near Jackson that could head this way. Got my WX radio, and 3 apps on the phone and Spann on cue...

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:33 PM
3:26 PM: CONFIRMED tornado over Martin showing debris signature. Dangerous situation!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPWkQoUEAEf0uE.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPV4xKW0AAZeT5.jpg

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Brian Hutton Jr.Verified account ‏@brianwx 1m1 minute ago
Injuries and entrapments in Suqualena on Highway 494 #mswx

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Joel Young ‏@WTVAJoel 5m5 minutes ago
Winston Co has been dropped from the tornado warn. It continues for Noxubee Co until 4:15 pm. Rotation is near Mashulaville moving NE. #mswx

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Lots of chasers on the storms mentioned in this thread. Some streams can be found here: https://tvnweather.com/live

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Johnny Kelly ‏@stormchaser4850
Developing: (@Newscenter11) reports "major damage" in northern #LauderdaleCounty #MSwx w/ confirmed #tornado

Josh JohnsonVerified account ‏@JoshWeather 8m8 minutes ago
Hearing damage reports from Collinsville and northern Lauderdale County, MS from WTOK @Newscenter11 #mswx

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:46 PM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/12615158_1020660087980537_3633364067038244747_o.jp g

TheRef
02-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Guys this storm is getting HOT. Scooba, De Kalb, and Electric Mills need to be in cover NOW

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
MDOTVerified account ‏@MississippiDOT 1m1 minute ago
Debris on MS 504 at MS 15 in Newton Co blocking all NB lanes. Details: http://ow.ly/XRSBo #MShwys #mswx

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Affected Area: Kemper

A Tornado Warning Remains In Effect Until 430 PM CST For Central Kemper County

At 344 PM CST... A Confirmed Tornado Was Located Near Blackwater... Or 9 Miles Northwest Of Meridian Station... Moving Northeast At 40 MPH. Hazard... Damaging Tornado. Source... Radar Confirmed Tornado. Impact... Flying Debris Will Be Dangerous To Those Caught Without Shelter. Mobile Homes Will Be Damaged Or Destroyed. Damage To Roofs... Windows And Vehicles Will Occur. Tree Damage Is Likely. This Tornado Will Be Near... De Kalb Around 355 PM CST. Electric Mills Around 405 PM CST. Other Locations Impacted By This Tornadic Thunderstorm Include Scooba. Tornado... Observed Hail... <.75in

To Repeat... A Tornado Is On The Ground. Take Cover Now! Move To A Basement Or An Interior Room On The Lowest Floor Of A Sturdy Building. Avoid Windows. If You Are Outdoors... In A Mobile Home... Or In A Vehicle... Move To The Closest Substantial Shelter And Protect Yourself From Flying Debris. Heavy Rainfall May Hide This Tornado. Do Not Wait To See Or Hear The Tornado. Take Cover Now.

Tornado Warning was issued on February 02 at 3:45PM CST until February 02 at 4:30PM CST by the National Weather Service in Jackson.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:04 PM
TORNADO WATCH to 10PM CST KY TN AL 70mph winds

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPdGZJW0AAnorC.jpg

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Picture: #TornadoDamage: RT@kristophiry: #Collinsville #MS hit by a #tornado 3:30 pm. @NWSJacksonMS #MSwx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPaBTeUcAAf29W.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPaB9oUkAAa73X.jpg

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Confirmed tornado on the ground about to cross 45 in Scooba. Brett Adair is streaming on TVN

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:17 PM
just wow.....
Scott McClellan ‏@bamasevere 1m1 minute ago
415pm: 105mph+ rotation near Scooba, MS. #mswx

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPgXyzWAAIBTAL.jpg

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Quincy Vagell ‏@stormchaserQ 1m1 minute ago
Scooba, MS #mswx 4:16 p.m.

https://vine.co/v/iJMe5PUO5KT

TUSK
02-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I am about to get smoked....

TheRef
02-02-2016, 05:29 PM
I am about to get smoked....

Aliceville is next in line.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:37 PM
Scott McClellan ‏@bamasevere
Damage confirmed at East MS Community College in Scooba, MS. #mswx

I'm hearing it might just be the baseball field... hoping so

TUSK
02-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Aliceville is next in line.

It'll likely miss me to the SE then, I'm North of A'ville and a lil West.... Just talked to a HWY Patrolman that was parked on the road.... "I'm here for the community storm shelter", he said...

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Adair is on a big Wedge tornado near aliceville

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:40 PM
Joel Young ‏@WTVAJoel 2m2 minutes ago
GOOD NEWS: Emergency managers in Scooba have told @WTVAKatie that there have been no injury reports out of this storm in their area. #mswx

THANK GOD

THE Bruce Dickinson
02-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Hey Ref are we expecting a second round of severe storms tonight ? Or just an isolated possibility ?

TheRef
02-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Hey Ref are we expecting a second round of severe storms tonight ? Or just an isolated possibility ?

Second round...mostly straight line winds and hail.

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Adair is on a big Wedge tornado near aliceville

Huge tornado just northwest of Aliceville. Heads up anyone in Carrolton

TUSK
02-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Huge tornado just northwest of Aliceville. Heads up anyone in Carrolton

awesome*

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Connor Tornado King ‏@tornado_junkies 3m3 minutes ago
Tornado warning on our storm! Seek shelter in Holly Springs, MS!!! #mswx #tornado

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPn0CwUcAAPAIT.jpg

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Tusk, I think it will still go south of you.. keep us informed if you can.. raining like a Bama signing day up here near Vernon...

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Tusk, I think it will still go south of you.. keep us informed if you can.. raining like a Bama signing day up here near Vernon...

Looks to be another tornado on the tail of this one. Stay in your safe place!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks to all for updating these threads and keeping everybody informed.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Tusk... damage confirmed north of McMullen, Hwy 19 and MLK ... looks like it hit a community storm shelter possibly but about 30 people ran out per Brett Adair when he drove up..

STAY SAFE... 3 more STORMS are going to come very close to this same path

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPryV8UkAA7gCe.jpg

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Looks like it went more towards the McMullen area. Still showing a huge hook echo on radar, heads up if you are south of Reform.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 06:11 PM
It's stopped raining here and it's kinda quiet, now....

hmmmmmm?

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 06:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPr3ZIUkAARWzN.png

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Tornado Warning: Noxubee MS (Macon) until 6:00PM CST #mswx

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 06:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPrJgzUsAAEVlW.jpg:large

Nick Dilbeck ‏@NDilbeck_Wx 10m10 minutes ago
At least three additional rotation couplets SW of the Aliceville storm in #Mississippi #ALwx #MSwx

TUSK
02-02-2016, 06:19 PM
what? THREE 'naders?????

c'mon, mane....

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 06:21 PM
what? THREE 'naders?????

c'mon, mane....

Nothing else on the ground right now. Just radar indicated rotation

State82
02-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Hunker down, Tusk. Stay safe.

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 06:28 PM
kinda off topic for a second, but speaking of rotation, I was driving up 25 a couple weeks ago during the last event, and between Flowood and Canton I saw some of the nastiest, weirdest clouds. Giant "black" wall cloud with white clouds below it, no higher than 200 ft, that were swirling in random directions... gave me the chills...

Now back to our regularly scheduled reports....

TUSK
02-02-2016, 06:28 PM
Hunker down, Tusk. Stay safe.

I knew I shoulda put some extra trailerhouse anchors down for my still & meth lab,,,,

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 06:32 PM
I knew I shoulda put some extra trailerhouse anchors down for my still & meth lab,,,,
and that copper wire bundle you have yet to burn the insulation off needs to be shored up too.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 06:34 PM
and that copper wire bundle you have yet to burn the insulation off needs to be shored up too.

dude, you been stalkin' my place???

I gotta have a talk with my dogs...

TUSK
02-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Thunder is Kickin' ass here... lots o' lightning, too....

wind is negligible... dogs aren't wiggin' out, yet...

mstatefan91
02-02-2016, 06:40 PM
First Baptist Church in Collinsville, MS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaPyVGeUsAEGDgU.jpg:large

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 06:47 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaP0_QqUMAEGs2I.png:large

I seen it dawg
02-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Best weather team around. Stay safe people.

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 06:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaP0_QqUMAEGs2I.png:large

NWS Jackson briefly called a confirmed tornado on that cell just to the East of Macon, haven't seen anything else on it since then. Path looks to be Northwest of the previous storm that hit McMullen/Aliceville area

TUSK
02-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Oh. Shit.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Stay safe....

UGGHHH wait??? something about prisoners missing from a jail that was hit.. dont know where.. guessing in Alabama.

and.. this...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaP3g_zUUAAaB9d.jpg:large

MSUDawg13
02-02-2016, 07:03 PM
Stay safe....

UGGHHH wait??? something about prisoners missing from a jail that was hit.. dont know where.. guessing in Alabama.

and.. this...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaP3g_zUUAAaB9d.jpg:large

Prison in Aliceville is reporting damage. Stay safe Tusk, prisoners on the loose**

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Raining sideways... lightning nearly hit my crib... this is wilder than a big recruiting visit at the Phi Mu house in Oxford....

msbulldog
02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys for all this good info. Past us now, but prayers for those to the east.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Ha! Missed me, BITCH!

get your head down Barking13....

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaP4_NSUEAALH2g.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaP5CV_UEAALQTB.jpg

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Prison in Aliceville is reporting damage. Stay safe Tusk, prisoners on the loose**

they won't go anywhere... they are safer in the pen than in the countryside of Pickens County....

MaxedOutMaroon
02-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Ok, I'm very much an amateur on weather and such. I just follow an app called, "storm" because it's simple to read for an average person. On it, it often has a section of the storm as "Meso-cyclone." What is a mess-cyclone?

mcain31
02-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Ok, I'm very much an amateur on weather and such. I just follow an app called, "storm" because it's simple to read for an average person. On it, it often has a section of the storm as "Meso-cyclone." What is a mess-cyclone?

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Buddy of mine in Collinsville reports it went 1/8 mile from him. No damage, but the neighborhood adjacent to him wasn't so lucky.

So far everything has gone east of tusk and south of me.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:32 PM

good news, it was the women's prison... I may get laid and some laundry done....

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Buddy of mine in Collinsville reports it went 1/8 mile from him. No damage, but the neighborhood adjacent to him wasn't so lucky.

So far everything has gone east of tusk and south of me.

I've had two pass within a couple miles or so of me... all is quiet, now...

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Ref must have gone to the game.. he just disappeared.

TheRef
02-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Sorry for being MIA for a bit. Had to do some stuff around here for work, but I'm back in the saddle right when all the tornado warnings end.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Sorry for being MIA for a bit. Had to do some stuff around here for work, but I'm back in the saddle right when all the tornado warnings end.

Just in time for us to talk about the game.... Man..what a day....

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:44 PM
A storm photo from Nebraska.... just wow

http://twitter.com/FreddyMcKinneyR/status/694645032461139968/photo/1

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:45 PM

dude, I was gettin' HAMMERED here.... tsk, tsk....

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Keith Grillman ‏@Weather_Lover 4m4 minutes ago
No #Tornado warnings are issued currently! That's a relief for residents in the south. Only 1 severe #Thunderstorm warning in #MS

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:48 PM
http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/Severe-Weather-Damage-Reported-in-East-Mississippi-367415751.html

TheRef
02-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Hey...I was watching on my phone...you know I'd let you know, Tusk. I ain't THAT mean.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 07:49 PM

We knew you would be out chasin tha women from the jail... and would be alright

Barking 13
02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
We knew you would be out chasin tha women from the jail... and would be alright

speaking of, we could probably find a couple of them we could sign tomorrow***

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:53 PM
thanks guys,,,, I'll save yall a "parolee"...

TUSK
02-02-2016, 07:55 PM
speaking of, we could probably find a couple of them we could sign tomorrow***

I'm gonna let that softball just rolllllllll to the backstop....

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 09:11 PM
NOT OVER... Crap

Tornado Warning including Columbus MS, New Hope MS, Caledonia MS until 8:45 PM CSThttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaQUTfiWAAAJ_u4.jpg:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 09:12 PM
It is headed STRAIGHT FOR DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS. I mean....dead Downtown.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Potential Tornado Near Bent Oak or 7 Miles SW of Columbus Moving NE At 50 MPH.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaQWG2jWAAQRk-o.jpg:large

TheRef
02-02-2016, 09:15 PM
WCBI is taking shelter as this potential tornado heads straight for Columbus and their studio.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 09:15 PM
You guys are breakin my balls... another one????

keep me in the loop, I'm goin' to get some beer to ride this shit out....

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Of course it waits till I'm home and through Columbus.

jbjones
02-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Just heard over the Columbus repeater (ham - 147.000) that a tornado was on the ground...didn't state a location or where that confirmation came from..

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 09:18 PM
At least I got the one that hit Scooba. I followed it into AL till we lost internet service and radar.

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Well...maybe I'll get some sleep tonight....

Tornado Watch
TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 12
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
650 PM CST TUE FEB 2 2016

TORNADO WATCH 12 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 300 AM CST FOR THE
FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

MSC005-007-019-023-025-029-031-035-037-039-041-045-047-049-059-
061-065-067-069-073-075-077-079-085-087-089-091-099-101-103-105-
109-111-113-121-123-127-129-131-147-153-157-159-030900-
/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0012.160203T0050Z-160203T0900Z/

MS
. MISSISSIPPI COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

AMITE ATTALA CHOCTAW
CLARKE CLAY COPIAH
COVINGTON FORREST FRANKLIN
GEORGE GREENE HANCOCK
HARRISON HINDS JACKSON
JASPER JEFFERSON DAVIS JONES
KEMPER LAMAR LAUDERDALE
LAWRENCE LEAKE LINCOLN
LOWNDES MADISON MARION
NESHOBA NEWTON NOXUBEE
OKTIBBEHA PEARL RIVER PERRY
PIKE RANKIN SCOTT
SIMPSON SMITH STONE
WALTHALL WAYNE WILKINSON
WINSTON

ScoobaDawg
02-02-2016, 09:38 PM
At least I got the one that hit Scooba. I followed it into AL till we lost internet service and radar.

very interested to hear about your trip and any pics you got.

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 10:06 PM

Just downloaded what I got. Nothing spectacular sadly. Let me see if I can find a couple to post.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Just downloaded what I got. Nothing spectacular sadly. Let me see if I can find a couple to post.

dude, you could just park on my gravel driveway and get tornado pics.... prolly kill a few deer, too...

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Next time, Tusk. I was on the storm that went near your house. We started out in Tupelo as that was supposed to be one of the big spots but it quickly fizzled. So after lunch at the Neon Pig it was time to book down South to Scooba where we caught up with this tornado. This was the one that eventually went near Aliceville and Reform. We chased it into Alabama and got some good views of it but since we were always behind it we never really stopped to try and get a picture. I got one on my phone of it waaay off in the distance. Eventually, it got dark and we lost all internet signal so we broke it off and came back home. I ain't chasing blind. Here it is in Scooba. Little hard to see but you can see the whitish colored funnel in the center of the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/DOMPbb3.jpg

starkvegasdawg
02-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Next time, Tusk. I was on the storm that went near your house. We started out in Tupelo as that was supposed to be one of the big spots but it quickly fizzled. So after lunch at the Neon Pig it was time to book down South to Scooba where we caught up with this tornado. This was the one that eventually went near Aliceville and Reform. We chased it into Alabama and got some good views of it but since we were always behind it we never really stopped to try and get a picture. I got one on my phone of it waaay off in the distance. Eventually, it got dark and we lost all internet signal so we broke it off and came back home. I ain't chasing blind. Here it is in Scooba. Little hard to see but you can see the whitish colored funnel in the center of the picture.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 10:44 PM

I've seen some of your pics, already, buddy... next time, yall stop in....

Mjoelner34
02-02-2016, 11:04 PM

Scooba, here is the Scooba tornado north of Geiger, AL. We stopped for pics here because it was the best view we had recently gotten and we were on an unfamiliar, tree-lined, 2 lane road. I think we were about 3 miles away right here.
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/tflynt66/Geiger%20tornado_zps2ihgragu.jpg

TUSK
02-03-2016, 12:28 AM
whats the new word for East of Columbus????

Mjoelner34
02-03-2016, 12:32 AM
whats the new word for East of Columbus????

How about TUSKnado ally?

ScoobaDawg
02-03-2016, 12:50 AM
Isaac Williams ‏@Wx_Isaac 6m6 minutes ago
Tornado watch CANCELLED for all of the Golden Triangle region. #mswx

TUSK
02-03-2016, 12:52 AM
How about TUSKnado ally?

Been gettin lit up over here, daddio... you cats need to swing by next time, MJ...

BeardoMSU
02-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Been gettin lit up over here, daddio... you cats need to swing by next time, MJ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1Q806wMR8

Jk, Tusk, Jk...

TUSK
02-03-2016, 01:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1Q806wMR8

Jk, Tusk, Jk...

You're twisted, too, aren'tcha?

BeardoMSU
02-03-2016, 01:16 AM
You're twisted, too, aren'tcha?

Ha...that's more in reference to the non-weather events that happened today, that I'm sure will continue tomorrow.