PDA

View Full Version : NCAA in perfect position to flex

Reason2succeed
02-02-2016, 12:42 AM
I'm sure no one noticed late on Monday the ESPN ticker announced that NCAA president Mark Emmert had his contract extended to 2020 with an option for 2021.

I'm sure you're asking "Who cares? What does that have to do with anything."

Well, for our unfriendly neighbors up north that means that Mr. Emmert has a fresh new contract that makes him virtually untouchable unless the NCAA wants to eat his contract whole. I don't know what his future aspirations are but if you want to pay me the ungodly amount that I'm sure he's getting paid to sit on a beach and do nothing I would gladly oblige. However, that's not how things usually work. Methinks that he's probably going to flex his muscles and use the new, more strict NCAA rules for the first time. I hear that UNC has some outstanding issues that need to receive punishment and then it will be OM turn to receive their just desserts. Once again, if he doesn't reign in rouge programs now then the appearance of amateur athletic is about to take a severe pounding from other programs that decide to blatantly disregard rules.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Don't forget that OM is accused of both inappropriate recruiting inducements AND academic dishonesty. He may be able to turn a blind eye to money but the professors and deans will burn him on a stake if he lets teams make an open mockery of academia.

Jack Lambert
02-02-2016, 09:19 AM
I think it sucks that our faculty gets such good season ticket for football games and no bulldog contribution. I would love to have those seats. I hope they have to show ID with tickets to get in. I would really be piss knowing they are getting those seats and giving them away to family and friends. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Political Hack
02-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Jack is missing teeth and has missed on this thread...

More importantly, R2S is right. Not only that but Michael Adams was involved in this case and he had some personal insights from Richt about what happened with Tunsil. When the NCAA showed up in Oxford and he had a house, it put the investigation on steroids. They know what happened, but the disgrace of the NCAA investigators having to walk into a house to question someone about a relatively minor incident knowing full well where that house came from couldn't have sit well with them.

Not only did the investigation start from someone that was angry (the NCAA president himself), but now they've essentially flung it right in the face of NCAA investigators. The NCAA has no choice in this matter. It's a showdown and we'll see who wins. It will either be the end of the NCAA or the collapse of Ole Miss athletics. I don't see much wiggle room for anything in between.

SoJackDog
02-02-2016, 09:55 AM
I hope you are right. Here are some interesting reads with most recent NCAA dealings and their panty waist judgments:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/22/us/unc-report-academic-fraud/

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article32472684.html

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/11/the_cam_newton_case_how_auburn.html

http://www.daily-player.com/ncaa-football/miami-gets-slap-on-the-wrist-from-ncaa

BulldogBear
02-02-2016, 09:55 AM
It's a joy to be back from camping/hunting to the tune of Bears squirming and Colonel Rebel shrieking in pain.

Reason2succeed
02-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Everyone talks about the P5 leaving the NCAA and forming their own organization by I just don't see that happening. For one, they love the appearance of amateurism. Any other system would essentially be permission to pay for play with no rules. Even the big time schools don't want that because they would be forced to pay players in women's sports and Olympic sports that aren't revenue producing too. If they didn't then some small school would invest all their money in women's tennis and buy a bunch of national championships. It just upsets the apple cart too much.

The NCAA has to grow a pair right now before it's too late.