PDA

View Full Version : Name all the MS kids that have played at Bama and how they faired

whosyourdawgy
02-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Freddie Milons was good a great high school player who had a good career at Bama
Jimmy Johns was supposed to be great coming out of high school but never did anything and definitely would've been better off and had a more productive career in MS and may have stayed out of the pen

klong-dog
02-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Alonzo Lawrence. Absolutely zilch. Think he ended up a druggie or something.

klong-dog
02-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Tee did not play at Bama. Freddie did. Tee played at State.

klong-dog
02-01-2016, 11:07 PM
Anthony Steen had a pretty good career.

Billy Ray Valentine
02-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Paul Ott Carruth. He was aight

C222
02-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Freddie
Dwayne Rudd
Deshea Townsend
Kevin Norwood

Billy Ray Valentine
02-01-2016, 11:10 PM
The Kang

Skydawg1
02-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Paul Ott Carruth

Leroy Jenkins
02-01-2016, 11:14 PM
2008 ESPN- "Alabama's already thin linebacker corps took another hit Tuesday when senior Jimmy Johns was dismissed from the team following his arrest on multiple drug charges." (Cocaine)

Also this should be on a loop somewhere, gif guys. Dude got rag-dolled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Nb7l3DSqU

whosyourdawgy
02-01-2016, 11:17 PM
Tee did not play at Bama. Freddie did. Tee played at State.

Oops. Exactly right. I fixed it. Tee just rolled out of my mind

JDog13
02-02-2016, 12:03 AM
With 5 stars as back ups, I wouldn't be going there unless it was a slim position.

Thrill1
02-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Joe Carter, RB, Starkville. 4th rd pick Miami 1984

John Sullins, LB, Lafayette Co. Captain of '91 squad. Played 1992 with Denver

Justin Woodall, S, Lafayette. Started on Champ team. Now in MiLB.

Probably more I couldn't think of. Yeah I'm pissed like the rest of you. But, being from Starkville and watching a kid like Antuan Eswards go to Clemson, then Freddie, it is never a sure thing. You have to remember a lot of these kids don't grow up going to all the games like you and I. The attachment is just not there. That's why there staff should have to work doubly hard on the locals.

TUSK
02-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Joe Carter (starkville, I think), Ray Perkins (petal) are two that haven't been mentioned...

RougeDawg
02-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Double post

RougeDawg
02-02-2016, 01:38 AM
Wish someone would do some percentages of highly rated players going to each school who actually got significant PT and then went on to the NFL. No way there is that dramatic of a difference in percentage of Bama putting players based on ratings into the NFL than would State. Bama is chocked full of players that would/could start for over half of the SEC, yet rarely get PT. so rather than go be the 3rd string at your position at Bama, rarely play, and head off to piggly wiggly after your playing days are done, why wouldn't your choose somewhere you will get to play and make a name, instead of wait your turn? Doesn't make logical nor common sense. But then again common sense isn't so common these days.

And if there's any chance of a SECWest coach, that we compete with, not being there after 2016 (other than Miles) it's Saban. Dan isn't going anywhere and no one wants to subject their campus trees to Bucky, so who else will be moving, save maybe dumpster fire Sumlin. How we lose any in state recruit to go ride the pine out of state is something I'll never quite understand. Why we don't use the hundreds of "lost in the wash"' Mississippi players who do nothing out of state, while your in state schools could have and would have used you, is strictly on us.

Howboutdemdogs
02-02-2016, 07:49 AM
Jackie Sherrill, played HS Football in Biloxi, MS

RougeDawg
02-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Jackie Sherrill, played HS Football in Biloxi, MS

Comparing any players pre 1990ish is pointless. The recruiting game and programs were light years apart prior to that date. Given the current landscape of the SEC and us showing last season that you can rise to #1 and be on the cusp of the playoffs at Mississippi State. This should be a real thought in the minds of every kid on Mississippi, yet it is not. Part of it is we do not self promote our program and success as much as others do. Another part is our inability to convey this to potential recruits for whatever reason. Our coaches would apparently have a difficult time selling a bottle of water to a person stranded in the desert. Lastly when you have a HC openly window shopping every year, including the #1 10-3 year, it sends only negatives to any potential recruit. Period. this year does not surprise me one but once you sit down, look big picture and connect the dots.

Jack Lambert
02-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Once they leave Mississippi I don't care how they do.

KentuckyDawg13
02-02-2016, 10:19 AM
H.S.: Murrah
College: Bama
Pro:
2003?2004 Utah Jazz
2004?2008 Milwaukee Bucks
2008?2011 Cleveland Cavaliers
2011?2012 Los Angeles Clippers
2012?2013 Utah Jazz
2013?2014 Portland Trail Blazers
2014?2015 Minnesota Timberwolves
2015 Charlotte Hornets
2015?present Cleveland Cavaliers

Taog Redloh
02-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Freddie
Dwayne Rudd
Deshea Townsend
Kevin Norwood
Yeah I think we probably need to go on and end this thread now. I doubt we're going to be able to win this one.

Dawgology
02-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Based on looking through 247 Bama site they have signed approximately 20 MS guys since 2002. Three have ended up in the NFL playing any significant minutes. One of those got good playing time at Bama and the other two showed out in the combine and worked their way onto an NFL roster. Now...compare that to what State has done with MS athletes in the 7 years he has been here.

Taog Redloh
02-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Based on looking through 247 Bama site they have signed approximately 20 MS guys since 2002. Three have ended up in the NFL playing any significant minutes. One of those got good playing time at Bama and the other two showed out in the combine and worked their way onto an NFL roster. Now...compare that to what State has done with MS athletes in the 7 years he has been here.
Yeah....or not.

First of all, define your sample size. Then adjust for per capita. I would imagine you're going to see the EXACT same success rate for a certain level of player, no matter where they go.

Nobody said they couldn't have the same success at MSU. I'm simply arguing that going to Bama isn't the dead end choice you all are making it out to be. That's certifiably insane.

Political Hack
02-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Norwood and Stein are the only two under the Saban regime that I can think of.

Dawgology
02-02-2016, 11:33 AM
Yeah....or not.

First of all, define your sample size. Then adjust for per capita. I would imagine you're going to see the EXACT same success rate for a certain level of player, no matter where they go.

Nobody said they couldn't have the same success at MSU. I'm simply arguing that going to Bama isn't the dead end choice you all are making it out to be. That's certifiably insane.

Well no shit it's not a dead end choice. What most of us are saying is that with less competition the high 3 star and 4 star guys get on the field faster at State. Game time = more stats. More stats = better chance at NFL. It's not rocket science. Certainly, a 5 star stud looking to go to Bama would probably be fine. But even then I can see many instances where he would still see the field at State before he would at Bama.

You are right regarding per capita but that's why I didn't do a statistical analysis based on my brief review of the 247 site. Obviously State has more MS guys and will by default have more successful MS guys. What surprised me was looking through the list of MS guys that went to Alabama during that time period and seeing the over all lack of success there. I was also surprised by how few MS guys Bama typically takes and Saban tends to focus on community college guys out of MS.

BankerDog
02-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Milton Talbert, Hattiesburg
Rod Woodson, Olive Branch
Kevin Norwood, D'Iberville
Anthony Steen
Matt Womack, Southaven
Terry Grant, Lumberton
Jimmy Johns, Brookhaven
Alonzo Lawrence, George County
Malcolm Facine
Mike McCoy, Brandon
Justin Woodall, Oxford

Those are the ones recently. Of that list only Steen and Norwood are in the NFL. Woodall was a two year starter. McCoy was the 3rd WR on his team. I believe everyone else was processed.

Dawgology
02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Cliff Davis - QB 3*
Travis West - OG 3*
David Scott - CB 4*
Malcolm Facione - TE 4*

A boat load of CC guys from EMCC and Copiah: Jonathan Taylor DT 4*, Jarren Reed DT 4*, D.J. Pettway SDE 4*, Deion Blue CB 3*, Quinton Dial CB 4*, Brandon Lewis DT 3*, Michael Ricks S 4*....to name just a few. All in our back yards. All snapped up by Bama and then processed out or running on the scout team.

Good stuff.

BiscuitEater
02-02-2016, 01:07 PM
Malcolm Faciane, 4*, Dandy Dozen TE from Picayune, rated as #7 player in Mississippi, ESPN rated as #2 TE in the country

At Bama ..

2011 Redshirt
2012 Played 0 catches, 0 yards, 0 TDs
2013 Appeared in 5 games, 2 catches, 2 yards, 0 TDs
2014 Appeared in 7 games, 2 catches, 14 yards, 0 TDs
2015 Processed .. transferred to UT Martin

Total Bama stats .. 4 years, 4 catches, 16 yards, 4 yards per catch, 0 TDs

BiscuitEater
02-02-2016, 01:10 PM
First of all, define your sample size.

Have to look at the ratings for each player. Based on just a glance .. their ROI divided by star rating sucks.

fishwater99
02-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Michael Myers from Vicksburg..

Played DT was drafted by Dallas and ended his career with the Broncos...