PDA

View Full Version : Knott to Bama

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Weird situation.....

Not sure what to make of this, but it could be huge.

This could mean that Bama isn't ready to take him, which could push him to us.

TJ Werre ‏@TJ_WJTV 4m4 minutes ago
I've been told no public announcement by Nigel Knott today at the school. He's supposed to release a video w/ decision at some point

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2612926-the-commitment-watch-4-star-cb-nigel-knotts-behind-the-scenes-announcement?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-mob-art-mid-23?is_shared=true

CadaverDawg
02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Freeze won't hang up the phone.*

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:29 PM

No doubt. That's the most likely situation.

Hopefully, it's Mullen that won't hang up.

DEAR NIGEL, WE ACTUALLY WANT YOU HERE & WE JUST LOST OUR STARTING CBs.

PendingTransaction
02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
Happy Birthday Nigel.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Nevermind, Nigel just committed to Alabama

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2612926-the-commitment-watch-4-star-cb-nigel-knotts-behind-the-scenes-announcement?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-mob-art-mid-23?is_shared=true

CadaverDawg
Knott picks Bama

louisvilledawg
The ole miss talking heads on the twittersphere are saying he delayed bc the decision is between OM and Bama

Jack Lambert

I thought today was the start of a dead period before signing day or can you still call?

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Mullen - 0

Saban/Freeze - 2

This sucks. Hate to Mississippi kids leave the state. It's so counterproductive.

maroonmania
02-01-2016, 02:36 PM
I thought today was the start of a dead period before signing day or can you still call?

Only thing prevented is in person contact.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:38 PM
I think this is one that we really botched. His sister goes to MSU. We have a great track record of developing corners. And our depth chart is wide open at corner. I actually think Knott made a poor decision today. I don't see him ever starting at Bama. It's a shame we couldn't make him see the light or develop a strong enough relationship that he could trust our staff.

Thick
02-01-2016, 02:39 PM
We need Simmons before Knott. That's not a position of need for us. My opinion is no big deal OL/DL are where you make hay.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:40 PM
I think this is one that we really botched. His sister goes to MSU. We have a great track record of developing corners. And our depth chart is wide open at corner. I actually think Knott made a poor decision today. I don't see him ever starting at Bama. It's a shame we couldn't make him see the light or develop a strong enough relationship that he could trust our staff.

Of course he made a poor decision, but all kids see is the bright lights.

I'm honestly not sure how bad Saban wants Knott or if he just took him to stick it to the Mississippi schools.

MSUDawg99
02-01-2016, 02:40 PM
The ole miss talking heads on the twittersphere are saying he delayed bc the decision is between OM and Bama

HA. Stupid ***'s. They were never in the discussion. Was us or Bama.

bulldawg28
02-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Mullen - 0

Saban/Freeze - 2

This sucks. Hate to Mississippi kids leave the state. It's so counterproductive.

How did Freeze score a point with your math?

msstate7
02-01-2016, 02:41 PM
We need Simmons before Knott. That's not a position of need for us. My opinion is no big deal OL/DL are where you make hay.

I think CB is very much a position of need

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:42 PM
How did Freeze score a point with your math?

Just taking that from the discussion a few days ago.

Really Clark?

If we botched how bad did UNM screw up with their ties? That's our talking point they finished 3rd with an even stronger tie. Hate to lose the player but he has wanted out of the state bad for a long time.

HoopsDawg

I'm honestly not sure how bad Saban wants Knott or if he just took him to stick it to the Mississippi schools.

I think Saban had a spot open, Knott really wanted to go to Bama, so Saban said why not, can't have too many cover guys. Honestly, I'm not even disappointed about Knott. I would have him #5 out of the big 5. Simmons is def no. 1.

Taog Redloh
Alonzo Lawrence says hello!

Some of these kids just have to learn things the hardest way possible.

EAVdog
02-01-2016, 02:43 PM
His folks both went to OM and his Dad played Football up there too, that has to sting the Confeds.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:44 PM
If we botched how bad did UNM screw up with their ties?

They screwed up with him about as much as we did with Octavious Cooley. Knott was never going to Ole Miss. We had actually had a shot. I thought we had him about 3 weeks ago.

msudawglb

What??? We have a great track record of developing corners? We play a very soft zone. We have never let a corner be on an island, one on one. Elite corners do not like to come to MSU for that reason. We played Banks (a 2 star) as a corner when he should have been a safety. Slay was good but he didn't even play but one of his two years at MSU. That was another mistake on our coaches.

ShotgunDawg
I think CB is very much a position of need

Maybe, but Smitherman & Knott are basically the same player & Durr maybe more talented than both.

CB is an important position, but it's not a position where you have to have great depth at. If you have 2 or 3 good ones, your fine.

I would have loved to have Knott, but I doubt we'll be a different football team without him.

mic
02-01-2016, 02:46 PM
If we botched how bad did UNM screw up with their ties? That's our talking point they finished 3rd with an even stronger tie. Hate to lose the player but he has wanted out of the state bad for a long time.

They actually probably didn't even finish 3rd.. That was just to build drama.. Better chance he went to Oregon than Oxfrod..

Thick
02-01-2016, 02:46 PM
It's just my opinion, but no one ever felt like we would get him from the beginning. I never read where anyone here felt a sense of urgency about getting him, like he was a must get for us.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 02:47 PM
They screwed up with him about as much as we did with Octavious Cooley. Knott was never going to Ole Miss. We had actually had a shot. I thought we had him about 3 weeks ago.

You mentioned his sister here but don't bring up his parents ties to UNM. It's a narrow narrative you are painting. If you are going to hammer us about ties to recruits them they completely failed to even get him to consider them. Perspective.

MarketingBully
02-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Mullen - 0

Saban/Freeze - 2

Why are you grouping Saban with Freeze? Freeze has 0 right now and Saban has 2.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 02:48 PM
They actually probably didn't even finish 3rd.. That was just to build drama.. Better chance he went to Oregon than Oxfrod..

Probably but momma eliminated Oregon for him as a choice.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:48 PM
You mentioned his sister here but don't bring up his parents ties to UNM. It's a narrow narrative you are painting. If you are going to hammer us about ties to recruits them they completely failed to even get him to consider them. Perspective.

He's also Fletcher & Nelson Adam's cousin.

Not a huge deal IMO, he'll play very little at Bama IMO. He'll get some tackles on special teams against us & maybe a nickel back at some point.

bulldawg28
02-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Maybe, but Smitherman & Knott are basically the same player & Durr maybe more talented than both.

CB is an important position, but it's not a position where you have to have great depth at. If you have 2 or 3 good ones, your fine.

I would have loved to have Knott, but I doubt we'll be a different football team without him.

I agree with everything you said with the exception you only need 2 or 3 and your OK.

Jacksondevildog
02-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Alabama was in the drivers seat after Alabama set up a special doctor to work on his knee after his ACL injury.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:54 PM
What??? We have a great track record of developing corners? We play a very soft zone. We have never let a corner be on an island, one on one. Elite corners do not like to come to MSU for that reason. We played Banks (a 2 star) as a corner when he should have been a safety. Slay was good but he didn't even play but one of his two years at MSU. That was another mistake on our coaches.

WTF are you talking about? Banks is starting at corner in the NFL. He was a 2star/3star. Calhoun was a nobody, now he's going to get drafted. Slay is in the NFL. Redmond is going to be a 2nd round pick and he's the only highly touted guy we have signed.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:54 PM

So his mom going one semester to Ole Miss is the same as his sister currently going to MSU? Got it.

Thick
02-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Not a good post.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:56 PM
It's just my opinion, but no one ever felt like we would get him from the beginning. I never read where anyone here felt a sense of urgency about getting him, like he was a must get for us.

He was coming to us if Bama didn't have room. Bama did a great job of making him feel wanted while they kept him warm. They decided to go ahead and offer after his official and that was it.

Red Sox Dawg
02-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Didn't his dad play football at umiss? Or was it another sport?

jumbo
02-01-2016, 02:57 PM
So his mom going one semester to Ole Miss is the same as his sister currently going to MSU? Got it.

His dad played at OM

Jack Lambert
02-01-2016, 03:00 PM

I don't think that's the reason. He has not done that since he's been at Alabama. I think we just had a good crop of High school seniors.

TUSK
02-01-2016, 03:05 PM
I don't think that's the reason. He has not done that since he's been at Alabama. I think we just had a good crop of High school seniors.

yup.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 03:05 PM
yup.

And...the rebels feel really good about Shyheim Carter.

HSVDawg
02-01-2016, 03:07 PM

Couldn't disagree more. At this point, our starting corners next season are Cleveland and ???. One guy who we know can't play and another who couldn't beat out the first guy who we know can't play. No difference makers anywhere on the roster at the CB position. Knott would be an immediate starter. On the DL, our depth isn't great with Jones leaving, but we at least have a solid starter back in James along with the Adams brothers, Corey Thomas, Hoyett, etc. who aren't liabilities out there. Knott was the biggest single need in the class, followed closely by all the OL we have brought in, with Simmons third and AJ 4th.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 03:13 PM

I said parents. You know. The dad who played for UNM. Don't be a dumbass

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 03:15 PM
I said parents. You know. The dad who played for UNM. Don't be a dumbass

Who cares? Seriously who cares. That's such a dumb thing to argue about. Ole Miss was never in it. We were. Ole Miss is getting a better prospect in Shyheim Carter and that hurt us b/c Carter would have taken Knott's spot at Bama.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Who cares? Seriously who cares. That's such a dumb thing to argue about. Ole Miss was never in it. We were. Ole Miss is getting a better prospect in Shyheim Carter and that hurt us b/c Carter would have taken Knott's spot at Bama.

Spin it baby. You brought up the sister angle and how we botched it up because of that. You bought that narrative and UNM don't eat their own for them crapping the bed on a legacy. But we do for a sister.

Political Hack
02-01-2016, 03:25 PM

They're the only fan base I know of that brags about coming in 2nd in recruiting. They'll have more to brag about soon, because they'll be second behind SMU in having the most harsh sanctions in the history of the NCAA thrown at their athletic department.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 03:29 PM
Spin it baby. You brought up the sister angle and how we botched it up because of that. You bought that narrative and UNM don't eat their own for them crapping the bed on a legacy. But we do for a sister.

I named a bunch of things and you focused on the sister/parent thing. It's kind of creepy how you stalk me. Again, we were a player for Knott, Ole Miss wasn't. We have a need at corner, we have a recent history of developing corners, Bama is stocked at corner, his sister CURRENTLY attends MSU, he has cousins on the team. We have no other 4 star corners on the roster. Ole Miss and Bama do. This is a guy we really needed to land and we couldn't get it done. But yes, his parents did attend Ole Miss....awesome.

TUSK
02-01-2016, 03:30 PM
And...the rebels feel really good about Shyheim Carter.

Riiiiiiiight, they pull that off and it will be a giant "bird" to the NCAA.....

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Riiiiiiiight, they pull that off and it will be a giant "bird" to the NCAA.....

Haven't they been doing that for 3 years now?

Not sure why they'd shy away now. Will the NCAA put them in Double trouble?

Thick
02-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Couldn't disagree more. At this point, our starting corners next season are Cleveland and ???. One guy who we know can't play and another who couldn't beat out the first guy who we know can't play. No difference makers anywhere on the roster at the CB position. Knott would be an immediate starter. On the DL, our depth isn't great with Jones leaving, but we at least have a solid starter back in James along with the Adams brothers, Corey Thomas, Hoyett, etc. who aren't liabilities out there. Knott was the biggest single need in the class, followed closely by all the OL we have brought in, with Simmons third and AJ 4th.

Knott was going to do nothing this year for us...redshirt that's it. Have you seen him up close? SEC WRs would block his little ass all over the field. Bear, Quon etc would have their way with him. Start as a freshman in the SEC coming off knee surgery his senior year, no way! Plus under Dan, name a true freshman that has STARTED at the toughest spot on the field. Simmons is a day one player, probably won't start. We have bodies with college experience at CB. We did not sign Durr to eat pine. OL/DL are musts to compete in the West. Corners are important, but we have enough right now to make our defensive scheme work.

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Im not hearing OM for Carter. LSU people are hearing Bama. I think Carter told the bear coaches what they wanted to hear, everyone but the bears are expecting Carter to Bama.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 04:01 PM
I named a bunch of things and you focused on the sister/parent thing. It's kind of creepy how you stalk me. Again, we were a player for Knott, Ole Miss wasn't. We have a need at corner, we have a recent history of developing corners, Bama is stocked at corner, his sister CURRENTLY attends MSU, he has cousins on the team. We have no other 4 star corners on the roster. Ole Miss and Bama do. This is a guy we really needed to land and we couldn't get it done. But yes, his parents did attend Ole Miss....awesome.

I don't stalk you. Get over yourself. I call out a bunch of people if the info is wrong or if I have a difference of opening. I never go searching for a specific poster, asinine. And I didn't say we didn't have an in but they did as well and he was a legacy. You brought it up as another negative to the staff. Fine but to be fair it's a bigger deal that he didn't ever want to go to UNM. And you know as well as I do, the kid has wanted to leave the state badly. For a while. We had a shot, we recruited him hard, he wanted to leave. It is what it is. And if it wasn't for his mom he would have committed to Oregon a long time ago and probably signed they're as well. Although, I think Bama would have won out in the scenario in the end. And through all that, UNM still couldn't get in his top 3 until mom threw out Oregon. There is a while thread saying the same thing

jumbo
02-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Knott was going to do nothing this year for us...redshirt that's it. Have you seen him up close? SEC WRs would block his little ass all over the field. Bear, Quon etc would have their way with him. Start as a freshman in the SEC coming off knee surgery his senior year, no way! Plus under Dan, name a true freshman that has STARTED at the toughest spot on the field. Simmons is a day one player, probably won't start. We have bodies with college experience at CB. We did not sign Durr to eat pine. OL/DL are musts to compete in the West. Corners are important, but we have enough right now to make our defensive scheme work.

I'm sure some will say it's sour grapes, but I agree with you. Knott is a hell of an athlete and will be great. He's going to RS wherever he goes because as you mentioned he's undersized. He's also very raw as a DB. He was able to shine in HS because you can get by on athletic ability at that level. That does not happen in college, let alone the SEC West.

miketice
02-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Doesn't seem fair to me. Freeze misses yet his "team" gets a point.

Thick
02-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would take him right now, but he's not an impact player for anybody. Our main concerns are OL/DL. That's where the rubber meets the road.

mic
02-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would take him right now, but he's not an impact player for anybody. Our main concerns are OL/DL. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I said it earlier this morning..
Good luck to Knott.. Would have loved to have him as a dawg...
But we won't hear the name Nigel Knott again until probably 2019.... If then , and if we do hear it before then it might it be at Alabama...