PDA

View Full Version : Article: Do Recruiting Rankings Matter?

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 02:05 PM
insightful article here by Stewart Mandel

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/signing-day-recruiting-rankings-5-stars-rashan-gary-derrick-brown-demetris-robertson-020116

Beaver
02-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Good stuff from Mandel right there. Hard to argue with statistics. I'd say MSU has been one of those 'outliers' like Michigan State, Stanford, or Baylor in terms of getting the most production with the least "talent." **See thread about 2012 class re-rankings if you disagree**. However, the big difference between MSU and those schools is that we play in the SEC West. That's just how it is. Either Mullen has to recruit better players, develop every 3 star into a 5 star, or hope the rest of the conference stumbles backwards.

KB21
02-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Honestly, I think the rankings comparison he shows actually hurts his argument. Of the top 20 teams from 2012-2015, 8 of them had recruiting classes outside the top 20. That's a bit more than being an outlier. There are some others like Clemson who are 10 slots higher than their recruiting ranking.

I've always felt that player development is far more important in the long run than where your class ranks. If you can't develop the players you get, then half of those 5 star athletes will end up washing out.

Bully13
02-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Nice. This is why it matters.

Beaver
02-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Honestly, I think the rankings comparison he shows actually hurts his argument. Of the top 20 teams from 2012-2015, 8 of them had recruiting classes outside the top 20. That's a bit more than being an outlier. There are some others like Clemson who are 10 slots higher than their recruiting ranking.

I've always felt that player development is far more important in the long run than where your class ranks. If you can't develop the players you get, then half of those 5 star athletes will end up washing out.

Yes, but of those 8 teams, 7 of them were not in the SEC. The only SEC team to recruit outside the top 20 and finish in the top 20 was Mizzou--who benefited from playing in the much weaker SEC East.