PDA

View Full Version : Suppose this class really isn't that good

msstate7
02-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Could we mask this class some by RSing only the better players instead of mass RS's? Here's last year's RS list...

Thomas
Mixon
Gibson
Adams
Rankin
Williams
Stamps
Smitherman
Lewis
Washington
Jung
Murphy
Moon
Tiano
Spivey
Mullins
Story
Green

So, if we don't redshirt most the class this year and '17 really is a good year recruiting, couldn't we avoid a drop off in a few years by doing this? Am I thinking right?

Op4isabitch
02-01-2016, 12:22 PM
We red shirted some filthy players last year! If we can get the OLine guys we want in this class we will,be in pretty good shape.
I think we actually field a surprisingly good team this year, wouldn't surprise me at all to win a few that we aren't suppose to win.

Jack Lambert
02-01-2016, 02:01 PM
I don't think one class hurts you if the classes on both sides are ok. Wasn't Daks class like in the 40's. We let what Ole Miss is doing effect our emotions too much. One good class got them 10 wins. I don't think this class will turn out to be as good as that one. Maybe in the recruiting rankings but not on the field.

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2016, 02:05 PM
I don't think one class hurts you if the classes on both sides are ok. Wasn't Daks class like in the 40's. We let what Ole Miss is doing effect our emotions too much. One good class got them 10 wins. I don't think this class will turn out to be as good as that one. Maybe in the recruiting rankings but not on the field.

The vaunted 2013 class turned out to be extremely top heavy. Some great players, but zero depth, I think it's hurts them next year.

smootness
02-01-2016, 02:21 PM
How would not redshirting a subpar class help?

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Could we mask this class some by RSing only the better players instead of mass RS's? Here's last year's RS list...

So, if we don't redshirt most the class this year and '17 really is a good year recruiting, couldn't we avoid a drop off in a few years by doing this? Am I thinking right?

That's really not the way to look at it. If a kid can help you, you play him. If he's not ready, you redshirt him. Looks like we might sign 5 O-linemen, all 5 will redshirt. Hopefully 2 of those 5 become solid starters for us.

We got some good TE's coming. And we have some hungry players like Dantzler, Erroll Thompson and Morgan-Walker that I think will be contributors.

msstate7
02-01-2016, 02:33 PM
How would not redshirting a subpar class help?

Bc if you RS a subpar class then that class counts against your 85 for an extra year

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Bc if you RS a subpar class then that class counts against your 85 for an extra year

If you aren't on the 2 deep by the end of your redshirt sophomore season, it's time to be processed.

msstate7
02-01-2016, 02:37 PM
If you aren't on the 2 deep by the end of your redshirt sophomore season, it's time to be processed.

I agree, but we aren't doing that are we?

Commercecomet24
02-01-2016, 02:38 PM

I agree completely. We let what they do effect us way to much.

smootness
02-01-2016, 02:45 PM

It just depends on what our coaches think of these guys. If they think they can pull some McKinney's and Preston Smith's out of this class, then it will definitely help to redshirt them.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 02:46 PM
I agree, but we aren't doing that are we?

Yeah, we do. We process guys every year. Guys like Jake Thomas and Irvin-Sills.

TUSK
02-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Yeah, we do. We process guys every year. Guys like Jake Thomas and Irvin-Sills.

this guy gets it... if ya have a "filthy talented" player, ya put him on the field, even if it's ST or as a backup... if ya got a cat that's going into his 3rd or 4th year on campus, and he's not contributed significantly, it's time to move along...

Coach34
02-01-2016, 03:17 PM
one bad class doesnt hurt- its 2 in a row.

Last year's class was damn good.
We'll see about this one
Next year's has to be very good again- no exceptions

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 03:23 PM
one bad class doesnt hurt- its 2 in a row.

Last year's class was damn good.
We'll see about this one
Next year's has to be very good again- no exceptions

I can agree with this, & the saving grace with this class is that it could be the best OL class we've had under Mullen. If your going to have a bad class, that's not a bad position to be your best at.

With the way we redshirt, one bad class won't kill us, but it does put a ton of pressure to kill it next year. Every MSU supporter should take this year to heart & be determined to kick ass on the recruiting trail next year.

If Mullen can build a good OL, get the RB situation figured out, & continue to develop QBs, we are going to be fine.

My biggest frustration with this class is due to me believing that this program was about to really turn the corner. No matter how we spin, if only marginally, we lost ground on the rest of the SEC West in this class. Again, it may just be a very small loss of ground, but we won't likely get closer to winning the West.

Coach34
02-01-2016, 03:31 PM
We've already lost ground on the SEC- we finished 6th this past season in the West- and will be hands down the pick to finish 7th in 2016

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 03:35 PM
We've already lost ground on the SEC- we finished 6th this past season in the West- and will be hands down the pick to finish 7th in 2016

No doubt. And we just lost 7 of our most talented players: Chris Jones, Dak, Bear, Redmond, Calhoun, Beni Brown, and Ry Brown. There's a drop off in talent at every spot I just named.

Sacrifice
02-01-2016, 03:35 PM
About this same time last year somebody said this would be a down year for us in recruiting and next year we should kill it. I don't know who it was but it looks like they may be right.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 03:38 PM
No doubt. And we just lost 7 of our most talented players: Chris Jones, Dak, Bear, Redmond, Calhoun, Beni Brown, and Ry Brown. There's a drop off in talent at every spot I just named.

All this while Alabama & LSU have projected 1st & 2nd rounders choosing to return to school.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 03:40 PM
What scares me is that I feel like we've been here before. Right after Sherrill's 10 win season & 9 win season, I thought we were becoming a national contender, only to fall on our face.

Now, the threat of probation was involved with that, but, with this class, it seems like we are on probation.

msstate7
02-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Who do you expect to replace b. Brown?

Bothrops
02-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I think this will be an undervalued class. But we aren't meeting our goals on the DL, just didn't do well there. I like what we have, but the numbers aren't there and we should have had them, easily.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Who do you expect to replace b. Brown?

We will have to see what Sirmon wants to do. I hope we fully commit to the 4-2-5 and play Richie Brown and Leo Lewis inside and slide Gerri Green out to WDE. Then we could play Peters as the extra man in the back 5. This gets our most talented players on the field and more speed on the field.

msstate7
02-01-2016, 04:08 PM
We will have to see what Sirmon wants to do. I hope we fully commit to the 4-2-5 and play Richie Brown and Leo Lewis inside and slide Gerri Green out to WDE. Then we could play Peters as the extra man in the back 5. This gets our most talented players on the field and more speed on the field.

That's why I asked... If Leo or Gerri are the ones that replace brown, I don't think we drop of at talent any... Football IQ, perhaps

Coach34
02-01-2016, 04:16 PM

I actually agree with this 100%

Jack Lambert
02-01-2016, 04:31 PM
What scares me is that I feel like we've been here before. Right after Sherrill's 10 win season & 9 win season, I thought we were becoming a national contender, only to fall on our face.

Now, the threat of probation was involved with that, but, with this class, it seems like we are on probation.

JWS built the program with JUCO guys who enrolled in school in January. They were able to go through Spring Camp and summer work out. He signed a big class of JUCO and the SEC changed the rules and they could not enroll until Fall. Plus many of those JUCO in that class did not pan out.