PDA

View Full Version : Will Redmond

sandwolf
08-10-2013, 02:02 AM
Ok, so the Will Redmond debacle came up in a thread on Genespage the other day. It was basically the same stuff being discussed....several of us bitching about the way our compliance folks handled the situation and about how it looked an awful lot like we had thrown Redmond under the bus, and then several others defending Bracky, etc. Anyway, all the back and forth went on for a while, when David Murray (who, true to form, was one of the ones defending Bracky) makes this post:

Ok, time to settle this issue. I just called State about the two questions key to this thread.

1.Did Redmond and family have an attorney present at their first meeting with NCAA investigators? YES, he did as it turns out, per MSU staff. I italicize the last part for emphasis, as others might have said differently leading to the mistaken perception there was no lawyer present. There was. I asked twice just to be sure in fact.

2.Is MSU or any school allowed to provide an attorney or legal rep to a signee who has not yet enrolled at the school when speaking to the NCAA? NO, they cannot, per rules. Had the meeting happened after enrollment then yes the school could.

This surprised me, because from what I have seen posted about the situation here, I was under the impression that Redmond did not have any legal counsel present......so I just wanted to see if Political Hack or anyone else who has insight on that whole deal could comment as to the accuracy of what Murray posted.

Political Hack
08-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Wasn't there, but I've been told consistently that he did not have legal counsel provided by the school until after that meeting. The question that should've been asked: when did the school hire it's attorney and when did it hire Will's?

Also, compliance absolutely invited people to interview with the NCAA while discouraging them from seeking legal advice as it was "not a legal matter."

Either way, this needs to be dropped at this point. I hope they're doing the right thing by at least appealling the suspension length, but I don't know if they can appeal a penalty alone while not refuting the findings (since they already agreed to them), or how that works. Will just needs to be able to put this mess behind him and focus on college like a normal student. He deserves that opportunity after dealing with all of this for more than a year.

Goat Holder
08-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Gene signs David Murray's checks. How could you ever expect him to give an objective report on something so personal to Gene?

msstate7
08-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Speaking of will...how's he performing in practice? When he is eligible will he immediately step on the field?

Political Hack
08-10-2013, 09:29 AM
no clue about football, but heard he has a 3.5 gpa.

Coach34
08-10-2013, 09:33 AM
he's eligible for Game 6- Bowling Green

mic
08-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Im sure he is getting a lot of 2nd and 3rd team reps since he wont be playing till late Oct. But from the drills I saw in 2 days of practice he looked like the best CB in the one on one and 7 on 7 drills. Very smooth .. you can tell the kid is going to be very good..

msstate7
08-10-2013, 09:36 AM
he's eligible for Game 6- Bowling Green

I was talking about how well he's performing in practice. Can we expect him to play meaningful minutes when he becomes eligible?

mic
08-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I was talking about how well he's performing in practice. Can we expect him to play meaningful minutes when he becomes eligible?

I think he will play a lot .. Too good to keep off the field and he should be VERY HUNGRY to play..

msstate7
08-10-2013, 09:57 AM
I think he will play a lot .. Too good to keep off the field and he should be VERY HUNGRY to play..

Good to hear. Thanks

BeastMan
08-10-2013, 09:57 AM
While Murray could be technically right, it still doesn't accurately portray the situation. Does anyone think Don Jackson was good for Renardo Sydney? Per MSU's policy, no S-A will ever sit through any NCAA questioning without a lawyer present.

Goat Holder
08-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Any chance he could play some WR? That may be the area where we need help this season. I mean, dude was a QB in HS, you know he's an athlete. We've got alot of up and comers at CB already.

dickiedawg
08-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Per MSU's policy, no S-A will ever sit through any NCAA questioning without a lawyer present.

Based on what was quoted from David Murray, the issue would appear to be that he was not yet an MSU student-athlete.

I like David, and if he said that's what the University representatives told him, I'll take him at his word.

mic
08-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Zero chance

FlabLoser
08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Based on what was quoted from David Murray, the issue would appear to be that he was not yet an MSU student-athlete.

I like David, and if he said that's what the University representatives told him, I'll take him at his word.

Our guy gets investigated before he can step on campus. CJ Johnson stuff is coming 2.5 years later.

Bracky Brett must go.

CadaverDawg
08-10-2013, 11:25 AM

I may be way off on this, but regardless of whether or not he was enrolled at MSU yet....wouldn't you think we would at least point him towards good council to prepare him for NCAA questioning? Or tell him not to say anything? Or quietly pay for his representation anyway, regardless of what the NCAA says? Like every other school would have done.

Mississippi State has been abiding by "policy" for as long as I can remember, and all it ever does is hurt us worse.

And David Murray sounds like he is falling back on the "policy" speak so that he can deflect the conversation away from his boys Gene and Steve. But again, I wasn't involved so Im just trying to put 2 and 2 together.

Todd4State
08-10-2013, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't trust any of the guys at Genespage. They have been known for putting out misinformation or wrong information and have even banned posters for putting out information that is true.

What else do you expect MSU to say if you interviewed them? "Yep, we dropped the ball. Now buy season tickets"?

The whole "not a student-athlete" thing is a cop out.

Political Hack
08-10-2013, 11:50 AM
I may be way off on this, but regardless of whether or not he was enrolled at MSU yet....wouldn't you think we would at least point him towards good council to prepare him for NCAA questioning? Or tell him not to say anything? Or quietly pay for his representation anyway, regardless of what the NCAA says? Like every other school would have done.

Mississippi State has been abiding by "policy" for as long as I can remember, and all it ever does is hurt us worse.

And David Murray sounds like he is falling back on the "policy" speak so that he can deflect the conversation away from his boys Gene and Steve. But again, I wasn't involved so Im just trying to put 2 and 2 together.

None of what they're saying changes the fact that one of their employees advised a street agent to go on a media tour where he ripped Will and the University just to make a poster on a message board look bad.

Political Hack
08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't trust any of the guys at Genespage. They have been known for putting out misinformation or wrong information and have even banned posters for putting out information that is true.

What else do you expect MSU to say if you interviewed them? "Yep, we dropped the ball. Now buy season tickets"?

The whole "not a student-athlete" thing is a cop out.

A basketball player had a baby and left the team to be closerto his son. Stans told some of the media people before a press briefing, but requested that it not be shared. Murray or one of them published it on their board and when I called them out and said that was supposed to stay private they asked me to leave the site... and then removed the post. They have never been about the kids... what they said about that kid who announced for OM over in Alabama (can't remember his name) was awful. Called him a liar and the worst recruit they've ever dealth with, etc... They report on the recruiting "game" and then rip kids when they play the recruiting "game." Go figure.

coastdoglover
08-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I trust Murray about as much as I trust LT. Brackey was only interested in protecting MSU in his eyes and his stupidity hurt MSU. Will should have been told he doesn't have to tell the NCAA anything or at worst, have an attorney present. He had no such advice before that meeting until he enrolled at MSU. Gene and his entire board have always been in the pockets of the administration and AD. I can only simply say does anybody think Bama, Ole Miss, or LSU, would have handled this the way we did?

Vandownbytheriver
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
I really hate it when these guys do stuff just to make money no matter the consequences. I know it's a business, but sometimes you have to take a step back.

Gordon Gekko
08-10-2013, 12:30 PM
I really hate it when these guys do stuff just to make money no matter the consequences. I know it's a business, but sometimes you have to take a step back.

The really disappointing thing is these folks make their money from MSU fans. They could be put in their place tomorrow if MSU fans quit buying their service.

MarketingBully01
08-10-2013, 12:30 PM
My biggest issue with all of this is that everytime a kid gets a suspension from the NCAA for us it's 1.5 years. I can kind of see it with Sidney and his issues and not cooperating with the NCAA but the other two are absolutely rediculous. The only constant seems to be us not questioning the suspensions and continuing to get hammered for it. Redmond should not have to sit out any games. The most suspension he should have served was maybe maybe having his redshirt year taken away but immediatlely being able to play. Heck, AJ Green got suspended four games for $1000 for an autographed shirt. It's possible Manziel will get away Scott free even though we know he was paid five figures. This is just really rediculous and something's got to give whether we replace our compliance department or not. We need to do something.

Vandownbytheriver
08-10-2013, 12:33 PM
The really disappointing thing is these folks make their money from MSU fans. They could be put in their place tomorrow if MSU fans quit buying their service.

This X's 1000.