PDA

View Full Version : Knott

msstate7
02-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Looking at cb's, it appears knott is bama bound. Really hope he surprises some people and picks us.

GreenheadDawg
02-01-2016, 09:00 AM
I really don't understand kids that don't want to represent their home state and compete together but I can't fault a kid who wants to play for Bama and Saban. I think we would all have to give that offer a serious look. As long as he doesn't go to black hole up north

defiantdog
02-01-2016, 09:05 AM
It's the rings.... We aren't able to sell players on this yet

I seen it dawg
02-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Knott to Bama

civildawg
02-01-2016, 09:21 AM

We will never be able to sell players on rings if you are talking about national championships.

C222
02-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Per David Johnson at 24/7, if Knott choose Bama it's because they don't have room......

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 09:31 AM
This isn't good. The in-state schools have a done a good job in the past of keeping Alabama out of Mississippi, but this year it appears that Bama made a real effort to change that.

Bama could potentially land more top players out of Mississippi than MSU and Ole Miss with Davis, Knott, and Brown. That's a horrible year for Mississippi recruiting. The high school coaches and all involved have make sure this stops

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 09:34 AM

This is the problem with recruiting. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. We have no chance of winning rings while recruiting like this and we can't recruit better players without having rings. The system sucks and ensures that unless you cheat your ass off, the same 5 teams win every year.

MSU fans have to stop blaming our recruiting on lack of rings. That's a dead end and ensures we'll never recruit better. It's just an excuse that we use to hide our lack of commitment.

Ifyouonlyknew
02-01-2016, 09:36 AM
The high school coaches and all involved have make sure this stops

No no they shouldn't. We're bitching right now because of this very thing with Raekwon. So now you want them to get involved but to help OM & MSU. I hate to see kids leave the state but what I hate worse is coaches getting involved in kids recruitments just to steer them a certain direction.

defiantdog
02-01-2016, 09:37 AM
This isn't good. The in-state schools have a done a good job in the past of keeping Alabama out of Mississippi, but this year it appears that Bama made a real effort to change that.

Bama could potentially land more top players out of Mississippi than MSU and Ole Miss with Davis, Knott, and Brown. That's a horrible year for Mississippi recruiting. The high school coaches and all involved have make sure this stops

high school coaches promote it. Coach justice was an MSU guy and he never pushed kids to his alma mater. Some coaches push kids to a certain school and some respect a kid's decision. Meridian high school should start respecting kids' decisions.

mic
02-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Per David Johnson at 24/7, if Knott choose Bama it's because they don't have room......

Same shit ... Different year....

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 09:41 AM
No no they shouldn't. We're bitching right now because of this very thing with Raekwon. So now you want them to get involved but to help OM & MSU. I hate to see kids leave the state but what I hate worse is coaches getting involved in kids recruitments just to steer them a certain direction.

Yeah, I agree. My point was more directed towards high school coaches promoting the instate schools to high school kids at a young age. Not necessarily getting involved in the recruiting process.

MSU has made enormous strides in facilities, bowls, and profile and the recruiting landscape in the state this year appears like we are stuck in 1992.

klong-dog
02-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Pretty much , we can all thank saint Nick.

mic
02-01-2016, 09:48 AM

Agree... See Randy Carlisle...

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Everyone wants to blame the staff for potentially missing on AJ but Knott's sister goes to MSU and he's Fletcher and Nelson Adams' cousin.

There seems to be real real issues with how we present ourselves in the recruiting process when we are habitually missing 3 ft putts

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2016, 09:50 AM

THIS.

maroonmania
02-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Bottom line, it doesn't hurt our recruiting for Bama to be good (which they always will be), but it does hurt us a great deal when they are great like what Saban has done. Seriously, they are a stronger program nationally now relatively speaking than they ever were under Bear Bryant. If Bama wasn't so darn dominant we would probably get RDavis, Knott and AJ. We really need Saban to get burned out or something.

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-01-2016, 09:52 AM

And if David chooses a Big Mac, it's cause they all sold out of quarter pounders

Liverpooldawg
02-01-2016, 09:53 AM
Everyone wants to blame the staff for potentially missing on AJ but Knott's sister goes to MSU and he's Fletcher and Nelson Adams' cousin.

There seems to be real real issues with how we present ourselves in the recruiting process when we are habitually missing 3 ft putts

Perceived 3 ft putts. Unless you personally know the recruit, and know him very well, you have no idea how hard or how easy it will be to get him to a certain school. I wasn't an athlete and I loved MSU and came from a MSU family but I nearly went to Alabama for other reasons.

Shooter McGavin
02-01-2016, 09:55 AM
We really need Saban to get burned out or something.

Amen. My Dad and I were having a similar conversation about this yesterday. As long as he is there, it will be a Herculean task to beat them. I know even if he leaves they will hire Dabo Swinney who is a bad ass recruiter in his own right, but I'll take my chances against Swinney over Saban any day.

defiantdog
02-01-2016, 09:55 AM

AJ has a few connections to MSU as well

mic
02-01-2016, 09:56 AM

We get outworked in recruiting.. And that's not just my opinion..
Hopefully this new staff changes that a little...

Saying that, Knott has always leaned toward Bama.. No issue with the kid if that's where he wants to go.. Best of luck to him ... Just don't be surprised after today that no one hears the name Nigel Knott till around 2019

ElitedawgRecruiting
02-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Knotts dad played defensive back at Ole Miss. So I don't see where we have any clear advantage or tie there.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Saying that, Knott has always leaned toward Bama.. No issue with the kid if that's where he wants to go.. Best of luck to him ... Just don't be surprised after today that no one hears the name Nigel Knott till around 2019

Kinda disagree. I think if it wasn't so far he would have been committed to Oregon for a while. Now Bama might have still ended up with him in the end but he really liked Oregon.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Perceived 3 ft putts. Unless you personally know the recruit, and know him very well, you have no idea how hard or how easy it will be to get him to a certain school. I wasn't an athlete and I loved MSU and came from a MSU family but I nearly went to Alabama for other reasons.

Great point

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Knotts dad played defensive back at Ole Miss. So I don't see where we have any clear advantage or tie there.

Absolutely. I agree. Just saying.

Beaver
02-01-2016, 10:05 AM

I think the family ties stuff is a bit overblown sometimes. Knott's mom and dad went to OM. When I was 17 I didn't want to go to the same college as my sister either. I'm not saying you're wrong about missing 3 ft putts, just pointing out that a sister attending a school shouldn't equal an automatic commitment.

HancockCountyDog
02-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Just don't be surprised after today that no one hears the name Nigel Knott till around 2019

Can you edit this out of your post. We will be recruiting him down to the wire, regardless if he announces for Bama today.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 10:11 AM
I think the family ties stuff is a bit overblown sometimes. Knott's mom and dad went to OM. When I was 17 I didn't want to go to the same college as my sister either. I'm not saying you're wrong about missing 3 ft putts, just pointing out that a sister attending a school shouldn't equal an automatic commitment.

Agree. The best golfers still miss 3 ft putts every now and then, but they make an overwhelming amount. Maybe we are making most of them and the ones we've missed on just happen to all be in this class.

02-01-2016, 10:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_qxptGDcPQ

CadaverDawg
02-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Ha, he just finished saying on OOB that numbers were tight but they had room for a 4 star top player in MS like Knott. Johnson talking outta both sides of his mouth today.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Agree. The best golfers still miss 3 ft putts every now and then, but they make an overwhelming amount. Maybe we are making most of them and the ones we've missed on just happen to all be in this class.

Doesn't make it any better that they are MS players and 2 are in our backyard.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Can you edit this out of your post. We will be recruiting him down to the wire, regardless if he announces for Bama today.

Yea, It's true though. If he comes to State he's on the field in year 1 or 2....if he goes to Bama he probably doesn't see the field until his Redshirt Junior year, at best. I hope he reads that, because it's the truth. He can be an in-state hero at State or a "what happened to Knott?" At Alabama.

Bothrops
02-01-2016, 10:30 AM
I wish NSD was a couple of weeks earlier. This goes on too long.

defiantdog
02-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Yea, It's true though. If he comes to State he's on the field in year 1 or 2....if he goes to Bama he probably doesn't see the field until his Redshirt Junior year, at best. I hope he reads that, because it's the truth. He can be an in-state hero at State or a "what happened to Knott?" At Alabama.

Don't look for Hunohrey to go pro after next year either. Bobby has made it a point that he gets a degree. So Bama has Fitzpatrick and Humphrey for the next two years covering the outside. Knott will be a redshirt sophomore when he sees legitimate playing time. And even then, it'll be a fight to get out there. But a lot of these kids don't see it this way.

Sacrifice
02-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Good lord man, it's starting to look really bad for us. I may just check back in next week to see how it went. We're gonna have to start wining some big games if we expect to improve our recruiting. Going 2-4 in the West damn near every year isn't helping.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Good lord man, it's starting to look really bad for us. I may just check back in next week to see how it went. We're gonna have to start wining some big games if we expect to improve our recruiting. Going 2-4 in the West damn near every year isn't helping.

What exactly is the formula to winning big SEC games when you don't have similar talent on the field?

Winning doesn't just happen. It's a culmination of having better players than the other team.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Don't look for Hunohrey to go pro after next year either. Bobby has made it a point that he gets a degree. So Bama has Fitzpatrick and Humphrey for the next two years covering the outside. Knott will be a redshirt sophomore when he sees legitimate playing time. And even then, it'll be a fight to get out there. But a lot of these kids don't see it this way.

Yep, and that's not even counting guys they will land the next 2-3 years that have more size than Nigel. He's got to get bigger AND try to crack a loaded depth chart. Meanwhile we are losing our top two corners. Makes zero sense.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Ha, he just finished saying on OOB that numbers were tight but they had room for a 4 star top player in MS like Knott. Johnson talking outta both sides of his mouth today.

Every time Bo brings Johnson on or plays his interview, I turn off the show. I have less than zero interest in hearing about how many players Ole Miss has bought off.

BoomBoom
02-01-2016, 10:40 AM
What exactly is the formula to winning big SEC games when you don't have similar talent on the field?

Winning doesn't just happen. It's a culmination of having better players than the other team.

It's called coaching.

ShotgunDawg
02-01-2016, 10:45 AM
It's called coaching.

Meh, it's about 15%-20% coaching. It's 80% players. LSU runs Madison Central's Mike Justice era schemes. Not rocket science.

Sacrifice
02-01-2016, 10:57 AM

I get that but your never gonna have similar talent if you can't jump up and upset the Bamas, LSUs, A&Ms and now the OMs of the world everynow and then. This was supposed to be the class we benefited from after the great season we had 2 years ago.

maroonmania
02-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Yep, and that's not even counting guys they will land the next 2-3 years that have more size than Nigel. He's got to get bigger AND try to crack a loaded depth chart. Meanwhile we are losing our top two corners. Makes zero sense.

Exactly, much higher chance to get buried in the depth chart for a number of years at Bama than at MSU. One of the things that will hurt MS players going to Bama is that because Bama recruits so much nationally and because MS kids tend to be less developed and not as ready to hit the field, it will likely take them significantly longer to see the field as a starter. I mean even with the very best players in MS, they just don't get the development nor play against the level of competition that a lot of these kids do from other States with higher populations and who have more resources for coaching and training staffs.

GreenheadDawg
02-01-2016, 11:10 AM

We were #1 in the country and had one of the best QBs in the country. It ain't beating Bama and LSU that will help our recruiting. The previous and some current staff are incompetent. Like someone else said, hopefully the changes the past month will help for next year

Sacrifice
02-01-2016, 11:19 AM
We were #1 in the country and had one of the best QBs in the country. It ain't beating Bama and LSU that will help our recruiting. The previous and some current staff are incompetent. Like someone else said, hopefully the changes the past month will help for next year

You honestly believe that beating the 4 teams I mentioned wouldn't help us in recruiting? If you really believe that, then we're gonna have to agree to disagree. I'm not saying it's the only reason we don't recruit well but it's a huge part.

BoomBoom
02-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Meh, it's about 15%-20% coaching. It's 80% players. LSU runs Madison Central's Mike Justice era schemes. Not rocket science.

And LSU vastly under achieves with jts talent of late.

Ole Miss does not have the talent to blow us out like they have. They have plain outcoached us. We wouldnt beat them with Bama's players.

HoopsDawg
02-01-2016, 11:34 AM
It's called coaching.

That's ridiculous. Saban lost to Croom b/c he didn't have the players. Think about that, Saban lost to Croom and I think Mike Henig was the QB.

Bama to MSU recruiting is the same as MSU to La Tech. Sure they can beat us once every 10 games if everything lines up, but the odds are stacked against them and us.

MetEdDawg
02-01-2016, 11:46 AM
This is my only post on recruiting. We've done this to ourselves by being 1-7 against Bama and OM the four years these kids were in high school. So we can make ourselves feel better by blaming Dan's recruiting and our staff and our process. It's all garbage people. Until you beat these teams on the field, they beat you for these players more often than not. Not saying we won't get any of them in the next few days, but for everyone getting pissed about us potentially missing out on all of them, we've got to be more objective as to the reason why. Why are you shocked that the national champion and our in state rival who is 3 out of the last 4 against us are POTENTIALLY beating us for the best recruits in the state? That shouldn't really shock us.

This is where we have diluted ourselves. We keep thinking we should be doing better in recruiting in the area. But in our best season last year, our two losses are to the teams who seemingly have an edge over us in recruiting. It's really not that shocking people. I'm an MSU homer until I die, but let's get real people. These kids saw us beat OM and Bama one time while they were in high school. Connections or not, we've got to do better on the field. Win on the field and you will win more in recruiting, especially for the really big targets we go toe to toe for every year.

dawgs
02-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Of all the recruiting cycles to sell recruits on it though, it was this one. We spent 5 weeks ranked #1 last season. Yet Mullen is too busy dropping his ****ing name into every job discussion in the country instead of focusing on making his job at msu as easy as possible, he's setting himself up to get his ass fired before he lands another P5 job he apparently covers so much.

CadaverDawg
02-01-2016, 12:00 PM
This is my only post on recruiting. We've done this to ourselves by being 1-7 against Bama and OM the four years these kids were in high school. So we can make ourselves feel better by blaming Dan's recruiting and our staff and our process. It's all garbage people. Until you beat these teams on the field, they beat you for these players more often than not. Not saying we won't get any of them in the next few days, but for everyone getting pissed about us potentially missing out on all of them, we've got to be more objective as to the reason why. Why are you shocked that the national champion and our in state rival who is 3 out of the last 4 against us are POTENTIALLY beating us for the best recruits in the state? That shouldn't really shock us.

This is where we have diluted ourselves. We keep thinking we should be doing better. But in our best season last year, our two losses are to the teams who seemingly have an edge over us in recruiting. It's really not that shocking people. I'm an MSU homer until I die, but let's get real people. These kids saw us beat OM and Bama one time while they were in high school Connections or not, we've got to do better on the field.

What's LSU's record vs OM & Bama the last few years? Yet they have the #1 class in the country.

Bottom line, I keep hearing excuses, when the real reason is we got outworked. If it's bc we aren't cheating enough, it's time to decide if we're all in or if we need to focus on baseball & basketball

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Bottom line, I keep hearing excuses, when the real reason is we got outworked. If it's bc we aren't cheating enough, it's time to decide if we're all in or if we need to focus on baseball & basketball

Truth!

BoomBoom
02-01-2016, 12:13 PM

This is where we have diluted ourselves. We keep thinking we should be doing better in recruiting in the area. But in our best season last year, our two losses are to the teams who seemingly have an edge over us in recruiting. It's really not that shocking people. I'm an MSU homer until I die, but let's get real people. These kids saw us beat OM and Bama one time while they were in high school. Connections or not, we've got to do better on the field. Win on the field and you will win more in recruiting, especially for the really big targets we go toe to toe for every year.

To add, its one thing to lose a kid to the national champion because he wants to win it all. But its another problem entirely if he is convinced he will play early when its obvious he wont. If another coach sold a kid on a lie and you couldn't sell him on the truth, don't blame the rings. You just got outrecruited.

Jack Lambert
02-01-2016, 12:15 PM
To add, its one thing to lose a kid to the national champion because he wants to win it all. But its another problem entirely if he is convinced he will play early when its obvious he wont. If another coach sold a kid on a lie and you couldn't sell him on the truth, don't blame the rings. You just got outrecruited.

Or out lied?

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Sorry but if it's that the scenario, that's not being outrecruited. At some point our society has to admit that integrity means something. If you want to hold the players to a commitment and a standard that the vast majority of the society lives their daily lives by, then the leaders need to be held accountable for enabling the cess pool that recruiting has become. And the fans have to completely disavow the win at all cost mentality. As a fan and support of MSU athletics I want all of our programs to do well. I want championships. But not at the expense of integrity and enabling lies to be the cornerstone of what it takes. Our daily walk has to be by example. It is THE main reason I have so much trouble for a man like Freeze who stands on his bible and preaches and recruits from the Christian belief system and yet lies and enables destruction to enter his players lives in the name of keeping them eligible to win games. Sorry but our championships are much much greater in the afterlife than here in this world. For those who believe like me. I understand it is a dirty business but you do not have to lose your integrity trying to win here. There is so much more to developing these young men than a trophy. And on that point, Mullen excels. We are developing men to enter the world with a foundation that they can take for the rest of their life.

HSVDawg
02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Amen. My Dad and I were having a similar conversation about this yesterday. As long as he is there, it will be a Herculean task to beat them. I know even if he leaves they will hire Dabo Swinney who is a bad ass recruiter in his own right, but I'll take my chances against Swinney over Saban any day.

In addition to the Saban / National Championship factor, the one thing nobody mentions is that nobody has a more sophisticated and deep pocketed recruiting network than Alabama. People talk about Ole Miss's network like they operate with the precision and resources of the CIA, but they aren't shit compared to Bama. Not even close.

GumpDawg
02-01-2016, 01:34 PM
In addition to the Saban / National Championship factor, the one thing nobody mentions is that nobody has a more sophisticated and deep pocketed recruiting network than Alabama. People talk about Ole Miss's network like they operate with the precision and resources of the CIA, but they aren't shit compared to Bama. Not even close.

Lot of truth in that post

HaggardDawg
02-01-2016, 01:34 PM
I believe Bama refers to it as The Machine. It controls not only recruiting but day to day life at the University and Alabama politics. It truly is the man behind the curtain.

Percho
02-01-2016, 01:40 PM

What does outworked mean? Please give three or four examples of outworked.

Percho
02-01-2016, 01:44 PM

ONE. You have to take chances early and through out games. Esp on the defense.

Percho
02-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Sorry but if it's that the scenario, that's not being outrecruited. At some point our society has to admit that integrity means something. If you want to hold the players to a commitment and a standard that the vast majority of the society lives their daily lives by, then the leaders need to be held accountable for enabling the cess pool that recruiting has become. And the fans have to completely disavow the win at all cost mentality. As a fan and support of MSU athletics I want all of our programs to do well. I want championships. But not at the expense of integrity and enabling lies to be the cornerstone of what it takes. Our daily walk has to be by example. It is THE main reason I have so much trouble for a man like Freeze who stands on his bible and preaches and recruits from the Christian belief system and yet lies and enables destruction to enter his players lives in the name of keeping them eligible to win games. Sorry but our championships are much much greater in the afterlife than here in this world. For those who believe like me. I understand it is a dirty business but you do not have to lose your integrity trying to win here. There is so much more to developing these young men than a trophy. And on that point, Mullen excels. We are developing men to enter the world with a foundation that they can take for the rest of their life.

One of the very best post ever. AMEN!

BoomBoom
02-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Agreed. To be clear, I wasnt saying we should lie too. I was saying that if someone else is selling then on a lie, that you know it, and you STILL can't get the recruit to see the truth and sell him on it, then you are a shitty salesman.

Really Clark?
02-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Agreed. To be clear, I wasnt saying we should lie too. I was saying that if someone else is selling then on a lie, that you know it, and you STILL can't get the recruit to see the truth and sell him on it, then you are a shitty salesman.

But you say it all in your post, doesn't matter how good a salesman is, if someone wants to believe a lie it will always, always be a prettier picture than the truth. That's how deception works. That is from the beginning how it works. God couldn't sell Eve on the truth? No she choose to believe the lie that sounded wonderful. Have all the knowledge of God. It's as old as time.

TUSK
02-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I believe Bama refers to it as The Machine. It controls not only recruiting but day to day life at the University and Alabama politics. It truly is the man behind the curtain.

"The Machine - A coalition of select fraternities and sororities designed to influence campus politics."

Gawd, I can't believe I still remember that verbatim from my brief time there....

TUSK
02-01-2016, 03:39 PM

I think Bammer may have sold him on the "Star" or "Money" position in the secondary...

just speculation on my part, though.

Bass Chaser
02-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Based on what I've read he would have redshirted for us too. Needs to gain weight. Anyway at Bama he'll RS then play nickel and ST then start as a RS Soph.

Bama_Dawg
02-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Good for him, best of luck in Tuscaloosa.

BoomBoom
02-01-2016, 04:33 PM
But you say it all in your post, doesn't matter how good a salesman is, if someone wants to believe a lie it will always, always be a prettier picture than the truth. That's how deception works. That is from the beginning how it works. God couldn't sell Eve on the truth? No she choose to believe the lie that sounded wonderful. Have all the knowledge of God. It's as old as time.

But you cant let that apply year after year. At some point you have to have history on your side, and convey that to recruits.

Dawgology
02-01-2016, 04:39 PM
He's going to be great on Special Teams as a Senior at Alabama. Good luck to him.