PDA

View Full Version : Early signing period

Irondawg
01-31-2016, 09:31 PM
This whole recruiting year makes me really want an early signing period even more than I already did.

mic
01-31-2016, 09:41 PM
This whole recruiting year makes me really want an early signing period even more than I already did.

Agree...

Really Clark?
01-31-2016, 09:46 PM
I've wanted one and so have most coaches. It wouldn't have helped today but it would eliminate so much re-recruiting of commits.

Homedawg
01-31-2016, 09:48 PM
An early signing period changes the dates- not the results..it would move the pressure date from the coaches to the kids....in the end it honestly wouldn't do anything except make coaching harder Bc it would be I season.

gtowndawg
01-31-2016, 09:48 PM

Same here. It's out of hand.

gtowndawg
01-31-2016, 09:49 PM
An early signing period changes the dates- not the results..it would move the pressure date from the coaches to the kids....in the end it honestly wouldn't do anything except make coaching harder Bc it would be I season.

What if you have an early signing period in the summer? After camp season but before practice starts.

mic
01-31-2016, 09:51 PM

Disagree ..

Homedawg
01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
What if you have an early signing period in the summer? After camp season but before practice starts.

That just means the kid gets pressure like crazy before he's a sr instead of in the winter of his sr year. Again, dates change, but that's about it. Jmo. At least on the elite guys....which are the problem.

mic
01-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Kids are gettin bombarded as Jr's already ..
It won't effect a lot of the elite guys that want to go thru the process.
But some elite kids may not like all the bullshit and would love to just concentrate on their sr season , maybe their grades, early enroll, Ect....

It could be done where if the head coach leaves during or after the season or gets fired kids would be allowed to get out of their NLI and open their recruitment back up..
It would for sure clean up all the Bullshit that goes on the final few weeks..

Irondawg
01-31-2016, 10:06 PM
I think the kids should be allowed to sign anytime between the first of August up to fall enrollment. Too may non-commutable offers and such. It's just become an ordeal for everybody involved. When a kid decides he should be able to sign. If a coach offers he should be ready to accept a commit. Right now both kids and coaches jerk each other around. You can't cut it out completely but you could quickly weed out who is serious and who isn't

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-31-2016, 10:06 PM
Would it really change anything? Would AJ, Simmons, Knott, etc. have signed early? I'm not sure it really would help. The ones that were completely sure it would, but those not sure would do exactly what they have done now. And those that want to take all the visits and be in the limelight and want the drama would wait it out just like they have.

confucius say
01-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Kids are gettin bombarded as Jr's already ..
It won't effect a lot of the elite guys that want to go thru the process.
But some elite kids may not like all the bullshit and would love to just concentrate on their sr season , maybe their grades, early enroll, Ect....

It could be done where if the head coach leaves during or after the season or gets fired kids would be allowed to get out of their NLI and open their recruitment back up..
It would for sure clean up all the Bullshit that goes on the final few weeks..

This is the best way to do it. And homedawg, it's not like the kids would have to sign early. It would be solely for those who already know what they want.

Taog Redloh
01-31-2016, 10:16 PM
An August signing period is such an obvious, logical fix that it almost makes sense that we don't do it. That puts pressure on the kid AND the program to stick to each others' word, and it takes pressure off of both because the commitment is done. It's not rocket science. This should have happened 20 years ago. Now the circus has become so profitable, I'm not sure they really want to change it.

confucius say
01-31-2016, 10:17 PM
An August signing period is such a 'duh' way to fix things. That puts pressure on the kid AND the program to stick to each others' word, and it takes pressure off of both because the commitment is done. It's not rocket science. This should have happened 20 years ago.

Yep. Common sense.

662dawg
01-31-2016, 11:44 PM
How about once a player commits to a school, then give him a one week period to reconsider. If he sticks to his commitment after that period-he's no longer eligible to be recruited by another program.

OR

Once a player commits to a school and then decides to flip-he and the school he flips too are both penalized. Maybe take away his future redshirt opportunity, suspend 6 games, etc etc. Something.

That said, allow the player to reopen their recruitment if the head coach leaves or gets fired. Make this the ONLY exception to the rule.

Maybe it's time that the NCAA starts holding these young men accountable for their word as well as holding coaches accountable for teaching them that commitment doesn't mean anything anymore.

Big4Dawg
02-01-2016, 01:08 AM
I'll never happen. The SEC outside of Mullen is fully against it.

djaymsu5
02-01-2016, 01:17 AM
This is the best way to do it. And homedawg, it's not like the kids would have to sign early. It would be solely for those who already know what they want.

The ones that already know what they want are the ones that stay committed the whole time and don't flip to 2-3 different schools. I wouldn't be against it though make it like basketball and that way once they sign it's over.