PDA

View Full Version : I just noticed that Howland signed a Top 7 class.....

Taog Redloh
01-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Good for 2nd in the SEC following you know who. That followed up a #20 class last year. Think it might be time to get fired up about basketball again, in the way I did back about 1994. Yeah I enjoyed Stans' run but I never really got fired up, even in 2004/2005 I sort of had a feeling we'd get bounced, and never really felt a foundation was being built, what with all the transfers in and out and what not. Back to the point, looking at our 2 classes signed by Howland so far, I see a bunch of good players but not many that will leave early outside Newman, and we may get another year from him hopefully. Program building type stuff. If he can continue the 4 star on-slaught, and wrap up the 5 stars in MS, we might finally get there.

Either way, carry on about Ole Miss probation. Just an observation from me. Next few years may be pretty exciting in all 3 big sports (and women's bball obviously), considering the way we've been recrootin.

C222
01-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Good for 2nd in the SEC following you know who. That followed up a #20 class last year. Think it might be time to get fired up about basketball again, in the way I did back about 1994. Yeah I enjoyed Stans' run but I never really got fired up, even in 2004/2005 I sort of had a feeling we'd get bounced, and never really felt a foundation was being built, what with all the transfers in and out and what not. Back to the point, looking at our 2 classes signed by Howland so far, I see a bunch of good players but not many that will leave early outside Newman, and we may get another year from him hopefully. Program building type stuff.

Either way, carry on about Ole Miss probation. Just an observation from me. Next few years may be pretty exciting in all 3 big sports (and women's bball obviously), considering the way we've been recrootin.

Best class we've ever had and this was before Howland ever coached a game. We will be loaded next year.

Political Hack
01-31-2016, 11:20 AM
We need to improve our track recruiting.***

Next year's class is probably the best ever at State. I don't know how it compares to other rankings but it's the best group we've signed that I'm aware of. We've got some freaky good kids. I will say this though, the headliners may not be the eventual stars in that class. There's two that aren't praised as much by the fans that I think will end up being two of the best we've ever had (assuming they have a good head on their shoulders).

civildawg
01-31-2016, 11:21 AM
The more I think about it, the more it amazes me we can pull top classes in baseball and basketball but can't even keep elite kids from going elsewhere that are in our own backyard in football.

engie
01-31-2016, 11:23 AM
Where have you been?

This class isn't finished yet either...

civildawg
01-31-2016, 11:27 AM
I know it's not finished but it just seems that way to me from all the topics on this board. I don't follow recruiting closely due to that 2011 class. We will find out this week though.

Taog Redloh
01-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Where have you been?

This class isn't finished yet either...

I don't keep up with basketball too much. I didn't play it and don't know much about it. I watch when we are good, that's about it. Pretty much background noise for me from football to baseball/golf.

CadaverDawg
01-31-2016, 12:02 PM
We need to improve our track recruiting.***

Next year's class is probably the best ever at State. I don't know how it compares to other rankings but it's the best group we've signed that I'm aware of. We've got some freaky good kids. I will say this though, the headliners may not be the eventual stars in that class. There's two that aren't praised as much by the fans that I think will end up being two of the best we've ever had (assuming they have a good head on their shoulders).

Yep, Eli Wright may end up a star.

Bully13
01-31-2016, 12:09 PM
I don't keep up with basketball too much. I didn't play it and don't know much about it. I watch when we are good, that's about it. Pretty much background noise for me from football to baseball/golf.

I'm kind of the same way. But when we're competitive, I get zoned in cuz it's the dogs. On a side note, with these new foul rules, do we need more players that can drive to the basket to get more free throws? And more and better bigs that can score in the paint which also draws a lot of fouls?

TheRef
01-31-2016, 12:14 PM
I'm kind of the same way. But when we're competitive, I get zoned in cuz it's the dogs. On a side note, with these new foul rules, do we need more players that can drive to the basket to get more free throws? And more and better bigs that can score in the paint which also draws a lot of fouls?

Yes. The new contact rules benefit those who will drive and welcome contact in the paint. At the same time, you want defensive guys who will defend without contact.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-31-2016, 12:24 PM
I can't wait to see who Howland pulls to add to this class...I hope we can get an Arnette Moultrie type transfer or a top JUCO big.

Bully13
01-31-2016, 03:06 PM
Yes. The new contact rules benefit those who will drive and welcome contact in the paint. At the same time, you want defensive guys who will defend without contact.

Wonder how we stack up so far in conference play in free throw attempts?

TheRef
01-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Wonder how we stack up so far in conference play in free throw attempts?

We are last in FTA, but we are #2 in FT%

http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/team/free-throws/freeThrowsAttempted

http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/team/free-throws/freeThrowPct

MarketingBully
01-31-2016, 03:17 PM
What is really cool is how Howland stepped into a goldmine by the sheer number of legacies we will get over the next couple of years such as: Malik Newman (Horatio Webster), Tyson Carter (Greg Carter), Garrison Brooks (George Brooks), and Robert Woodard II (Robert Woodard). Our recruiting is stocked with legacies over the next couple of years and the best of all of them might be Robert Woodard II. That should keep Howland here as he should be able to get as much talent as he could handle to go deep in the tournament and make another final four or win won.

Bully13
01-31-2016, 04:58 PM
We are last in FTA, but we are #2 in FT%

http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/team/free-throws/freeThrowsAttempted

http://www.secsports.com/statistics/mens-basketball/team/free-throws/freeThrowPct

I would be willing to bet the top ranked teams prolly are top ranked in free throws too. Has a rule change in recent memory so radically changed the game?

drummerdawg
01-31-2016, 05:04 PM
What is really cool is how Howland stepped into a goldmine by the sheer number of legacies we will get over the next couple of years such as: Malik Newman (Horatio Webster), Tyson Carter (Greg Carter), Garrison Brooks (George Brooks), and Robert Woodard II (Robert Woodard). Our recruiting is stocked with legacies over the next couple of years and the best of all of them might be Robert Woodard II. That should keep Howland here as he should be able to get as much talent as he could handle to go deep in the tournament and make another final four or win won.

Don't forget Q's brother too.

MarketingBully
01-31-2016, 06:00 PM

I'm just talking former player's sons. It's pretty awesome if you think about it.

smootness
01-31-2016, 09:07 PM

If that kid really is better than Q...

SoJackDog
01-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Maybe our next baseball coach can recruit and beat Ole Miss :mad:

Taog Redloh
01-31-2016, 10:31 PM
Maybe our next baseball coach can recruit and beat Ole Miss :mad:

They see you trollin'......they hatin'......