PDA

View Full Version : Hopson to USM

BrunswickDawg
01-30-2016, 09:13 PM
Hopson to USM. Guess that is about the best they could hope for.

Not that I think he is a bad coach, I'd just hate to be in their shoes.

C222
01-30-2016, 09:15 PM
Good call football scoop.

CadaverDawg
01-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Not a good hire. Shoulda gone with an Offensive minded up and comer in my opinion.

Spiderman
01-30-2016, 09:18 PM

I like Jay, but this is surprising.

Really Clark?
01-30-2016, 09:22 PM
They had several pull their names over the last few days. Seems like Hopson was the last man standing.

ETA. Oh yeah...screw you scoop. Wrong again with us

Dawgology
01-30-2016, 09:38 PM
Next football scoop headline

"Hopson snubs MSU to go to USM". I bet you a $20 bill.

This is exactly why they made up that "Mullen trying to hire Hopson" rumor that was completely false.

HailState39110
01-30-2016, 09:50 PM
he was 3rd or 4th on their list . Good for Jay .

Saltydog
01-30-2016, 09:56 PM
could've done worse, IMO. He's done a great job at Alcorn and he knows this State and has connections. Considering the circumstances, I think they did o.k.

Todd4State
01-30-2016, 10:31 PM
I think they want someone who will be loyal like Bower and not use them as a stepping stone.

BayouDawg
01-30-2016, 11:50 PM
I think they want someone who will be loyal like Bower and not use them as a stepping stone.

Agree. They really screwed the pooch when they forced Bower out. If they had let him stay he would probably be retiring about now and leaving their program in good shape

Liverpooldawg
01-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Next football scoop headline

"Hopson snubs MSU to go to USM". I bet you a $20 bill.

This is exactly why they made up that "Mullen trying to hire Hopson" rumor that was completely false.
This guy GETS it.

Jack Lambert
01-31-2016, 08:02 AM
This will end up being the best hire in the history of USM. Just watch.

Dawgface
01-31-2016, 08:21 AM
If he does well, he wont turn down any good offers that comes his way. USM will always be a stepping stone as long as there is another step.

Political Hack
01-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Someone please hammer football scoop on Twitter. What a bunch of idiots. I've never seen a "scoop" media outlet be wrong so many times. It's comical.

Bothrops
01-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Good hire. He will improve their regional recruiting with his connections and likeability. Monken was unhappy from the day he was hired there.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
01-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Solid hire for Southern...Jay could be there for 5 years or he could be there for 15 years. Who knows? But this hire could bring Bower back into the picture in some capacity with USM. What capacity? Again, who knows but there's a relationship with Jay and Bower. I believe Jay will do well at Southern and hope Alcorn hires another good coach as I've liked them since The Godfather and Whitney days and would like to see them continue to compete for SWAC titles.

Political Hack
01-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Solid hire for Southern...Jay could be there for 5 years or he could be there for 15 years. Who knows? But this hire could bring Bower back into the picture in some capacity with USM. What capacity? Again, who knows but there's a relationship with Jay and Bower. I believe Jay will do well at Southern and hope Alcorn hires another good coach as I've liked them since The Godfather and Whitney days and would like to see them continue to compete for SWAC titles.

Yep. I like seeing him do well. A class act according to people who know him.

CadaverDawg
01-31-2016, 03:37 PM

That's stupid if so. Give me the next Fedora or Monken if I'm a USM fan over a guy that will be there longer but not win as much. USM should look to become the stepping stone program for great OC's looking to become major head coaches. It has been working for them. Hopson may be there longer, but he won't win 9+ games many times, if ever IMO.

fishwater99
01-31-2016, 07:32 PM

He's a good guy. Went to HS with him.

I bet he is glad he turned Mullen down for that DB job.

Todd4State
01-31-2016, 09:01 PM
That's stupid if so. Give me the next Fedora or Monken if I'm a USM fan over a guy that will be there longer but not win as much. USM should look to become the stepping stone program for great OC's looking to become major head coaches. It has been working for them. Hopson may be there longer, but he won't win 9+ games many times, if ever IMO.

I do think it is somewhat shortsighted and based on "the moment" plus the fact that any ill will from Bower is over. But that's how USM typically does things.