PDA

View Full Version : Is Mullen focusing on 2017 class because he knows OM will be on probation?

EAVdog
01-30-2016, 06:04 PM
A lot of our media guys have said this year will be a 'bridge' year and 2017 will be a really strong class. So is Mullen positioning based on knowing what is coming to OM? If he knows they are under the spotlight and going to extreme lengths to build this class it would be smart not to wade into that game.

Liverpooldawg
01-30-2016, 06:18 PM
It's been pretty much common knowledge that the Confederates were going all out to stock the inventory before the hammer dropped in an effort to survive what was coming. It made for a bunch of meltdowns among our fan base but we really don't need to get involved with what they are doing. If it hurts us this year then so be it. Let's see how loyal their mercenaries are when the hammer drops and the checks stop coming. When that hammer drops they have a get out of jail free card.

Coach34
01-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Bridge year is code for getting our ass handed to us in recruiting

SDDawg
01-30-2016, 06:39 PM
I disagree on the 2016 vs. 2017 stuff- more than a year ago the recruiting guys were saying '15 was a State year, '16 looked to be more of an OM year and '17 would flip back to State. That doesn't excuse misses by our staff or a lack of contingency plan out of state, but the reality is that this has been know for a while that 2017 would be a bigger year for MSU. Isn't a new dynamic.

mic
01-30-2016, 08:21 PM
There are no "bridge " years in recruiting...

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Hopefully the NCAA is keeping an eye on what they're doing this year as well as looking in the past. Truth be known, as long as they watch them, they'll never finish investigating.

ckDOG
01-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Good recruiting years are always 2 years away at msu

GreenheadDawg
01-30-2016, 10:41 PM

Bingo. Call a spade a spade. A old fashioned wood shed ass whoopin

Liverpooldawg
01-30-2016, 11:49 PM
I disagree on the 2016 vs. 2017 stuff- more than a year ago the recruiting guys were saying '15 was a State year, '16 looked to be more of an OM year and '17 would flip back to State. That doesn't excuse misses by our staff or a lack of contingency plan out of state, but the reality is that this has been know for a while that 2017 would be a bigger year for MSU. Isn't a new dynamic.

EXACTLY. Chill out people, and stock up on popcorn. This is going to be fun. Buy some REALLY decent adult beverages if it helps get you through this year. I recommend Bunnahabhain 18 or Ardbeg, but then I'm a Islay lover. Beer from Southern Prohibition will do.

ShotgunDawg
01-31-2016, 12:01 AM

Problem is that our good year will net us a 15-20 class and, assuming OM isn't on major probation, their down year will net them a 15-20 class, while our down year is an 25-35 class and their good year is a top 10 class.

We don't need to recruit in the top 10. I'm not calling for that. I just want to consistently be in the top 20 and my disappointment is that I thought we were about to do that, but this year could be a step back in that goal. If we could ever net 4 or 5 straight top 20 classes, I believe we'd accumulate enough talent to really compete for Atlanta, but these down years leave us with holes in our depth chart.

solodawg
01-31-2016, 07:41 AM

Totally agree with this!! OM was way out in front on this class last year while we were still celebrating Lewis, Peters, and Adams...

RougeDawg
01-31-2016, 05:01 PM
Hopefully the NCAA is keeping an eye on what they're doing this year as well as looking in the past. Truth be known, as long as they watch them, they'll never finish investigating.

Believe this is part of their thought process. Their actions this year seem to support it.

SoJackDog
01-31-2016, 09:44 PM
Interesting thoughts but as my Ole Miss coworkers say, it looks like Dan is doing to us what Nutt did to them. Take the money an run.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Interesting thoughts but as my Ole Miss coworkers say, it looks like Dan is doing to us what Nutt did to them. Take the money an run.

That makes zero sense.

Mjoelner34
01-31-2016, 09:56 PM
A lot of our media guys have said this year will be a 'bridge' year and 2017 will be a really strong class.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--wae2-CS---/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18hz23v42b9l6gif.jpg

Political Hack
01-31-2016, 10:32 PM
we really don't need to get involved with what they are doing. If it hurts us this year then so be it.

Yep. Great post and everyone should understand this. If we lose anyone to OM come NSD, it's probably for the best.

RougeDawg
01-31-2016, 10:36 PM
Good recruiting years are always 2 years away at msu

Yep, until they get other offers. No excuse for us to not have a top 20 class this year after our season last year. Let me repeat, NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT IS OCCURRING.

Bothrops
01-31-2016, 10:38 PM
A lot of our media guys have said this year will be a 'bridge' year and 2017 will be a really strong class. So is Mullen positioning based on knowing what is coming to OM? If he knows they are under the spotlight and going to extreme lengths to build this class it would be smart not to wade into that game.

The answer to your topic question is no.