PDA

View Full Version : The OFFICIAL Elitedawgs drankin thread

FlabLoser
08-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Bourbon post....

Woodford Reserve is my favorite bourbon. It is almost like drinking scotch.

OK, but Pappy...I've not had any pappy or any other uber expensive or rare burbons.

Tonight, I'm trying some Four Roses Small Batch. So I've learned Four Roses means made from four bourbons. So it is a bourbon blend. FR Small Batch in particular tastes really good. I like Woodford Reserve better, but FR Small Batch is good. But...its pretty sweet for a bourbon. I like it, but I doubt I would make this a mainstay. I think the sweetness will get old after a while.

I take my Woodford and FRSB over a couple pieces of ice. I'm not into drinking anything neat.

My favorite cheap bourbon is Old Charter 12, which is sold out and out of production. :( Haven't tried the 8. The 12 was passable over ice and good with diet coke.

Maker's is a premium brand, but I don't care for it much over ice. The flavor is just too...different and not in a good way for me. I do like it over diet coke.

I've had many others - Bulliet, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses (not small batch) and others I can't remember. I could take or leave those guys.

I have never had a bad bourbon.

CadaverDawg
08-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Bourbon post....

OK, but Pappy...I've not had any pappy or any other uber expensive or rare burbons.

Tonight, I'm trying some Four Roses Small Batch. So I've learned Four Roses means made from four bourbons. So it is a bourbon blend. FR Small Batch in particular tastes really good. I like Woodford Reserve better, but FR Small Batch is good. But...its pretty sweet for a bourbon. I like it, but I doubt I would make this a mainstay. I think the sweetness will get old after a while.

I take my Woodford and FRSB over a couple pieces of ice. I'm not into drinking anything neat.

My favorite cheap bourbon is Old Charter 12, which is sold out and out of production. :( Haven't tried the 8. The 12 was passable over ice and good with diet coke.

Maker's is a premium brand, but I don't care for it much over ice. The flavor is just too...different and not in a good way for me. I do like it over diet coke.

I've had many others - Bulliet, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses (not small batch) and others I can't remember. I could take or leave those guys.

You lost me on a few of those.....but then you regained me with that last sentence.

Dawg61
08-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Ha after about two glasses of bourbon I can no longer taste the bourbon. Not good when the glass is half full of it.

SheltonChoked
08-09-2013, 09:16 PM
My go to is rip van winkle 12. I started drinking it in about 2001 (msu related) Specs in houston used to have it for $37 a fifth. Now it's almost impossible to get. I bought several bottles so I still have some, but not enough to share anymore. I always liked the 12 enough to pass on pappy. Even then it was just too much money.

I like woodford reserve, bulleit, and blantons. My bar base is makers.

FYI. Several Houston bars have exceptional bourbon selections. Pappy, small batch, rare etc. If that's what you are looking to drink. Try out Anvil, Poison Girl ( kind of a dive but they specialize in bourbon) and okra.

FlabLoser
08-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Good tip. I see Specs had a 80,000 sq ft place in Houston. I'll look for some Rip.

If we win, I'll look for some Pappy.

Political Hack
08-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm a single malt guy, but I grew up on bourbon.

SheltonChoked
08-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Specs is out of Rip this year. They will put you on a list and call you when they get some in.

If you have never had it, stop by anvil and try some. I like poison girl and they are more likely to have some, but I'm always warry of sending people there I don't know. It can have an alternative vibe at times.

WeWillScrewItUp
08-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I am a makers guy. Makers on the rocks is hard to beat.

Political Hack
10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
I am a makers guy. Makers on the rocks is hard to beat.

try some glenmorangie on the rocks. they age it in makers barrels. I didn't know why I liked it so much so quickly but it's because I could taste the makers, which is what I used to drink.

FlabLoser
10-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow. I had no idea.

Bullmutt
10-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Scotch drinkers: If you're looking for a good game-time snack to go with scotch, try the Black Pepper and Olive Oil Triskits or some Smokehouse almonds. Good matches, especially with Islays.

J-Dawg
10-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Elijah Craig 12-yr is sneaky good.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Bourbon post....

I agree on the WR, but the OC 10 is my favorite drinking bourbon. The 8 was a little bitter and the 12 was a little sweet for me. I found this post from 2007 and hopefully the same thing is happening now:http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?8195-New-to-board-10-year-Old-Charter