PDA

View Full Version : HURRY UP DEFENSE!!! How are defenses going to combat scheme-wise the

cheewgumm
08-09-2013, 03:52 PM
up tempo offenses?

I've seen no legitimate answer to this question.

I don't have one either...beyond getting your D in better shape. If Collins knows a way, I hope he is teaching it now.

Anyone have any ideas on how to combat it?

I thin I'd hire Joe Lee Dunn to figure it out. Honestly, he seemed to be a good tactician in figuring different schemes out...see taht Kentucky game where we opened with no defensive lineman, all 11 standing.

CJDAWG85
08-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Hit the opponent so hard their mascot becomes depressed..

cheewgumm
08-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Whoever figures it out is gonna be RICH and in demand.

There has to be a way. I'm thinking DBs for LBs...so you have the speed. Granted, you can then get run over, but you would force them to do somethng different. IDK...just throwing it out there.

mic
08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Limit teams to little or no gains on first downs making them make substitutions on 2nd and 3rd down this gives your defense time to make substitutions as well...

CadaverDawg
08-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Whoever figures it out is gonna be RICH and in demand.

There has to be a way. I'm thinking DBs for LBs...so you have the speed. Granted, you can then get run over, but you would force them to do somethng different. IDK...just throwing it out there.

Well, we should have one of the more "adjustable" defenses the SEC has seen in years this season. We have linebackers that can cover receivers, and DB's that can play linebacker. Linebackers that can play in a 3 point stance and DLineman that could play linebacker. It will be interesting to see if the strategy is effective. Can't be worse than the Chris Wilson method of stopping the hurry up spread

CadaverDawg
08-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Limit teams to little or no gains on first downs making them make substitutions on 2nd and 3rd down this gives your defense time to make substitutions as well...

True, and a lot has to do with your front 4. If you have a front 4 that can stop the run game and control the QB draw, you can shut down the spread. However, that is a tall order for any team to stop a run game with your front 4-5. That's why I want so badly for Quay and James to get it together...they could do it.

starkvegasdawg
08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Pressure every receiver to try and force incomplete passes. No 10 yard off the line soft zones. That forces more dead balls and stops the offensive flow. Also stop the run on first down to force second and third and long. More inclined to slow down and think about play calling when in a hard to convert down and count.

dawg21
08-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Set them up. The hurry up is based off reads, so give them the obvious read. Stanford stopped Oregon like they knew what was coming...I personally believe this is what they did.

Todd4State
08-09-2013, 05:19 PM
I think communication and stopping them on first down like mic said is the key. Defenses are going to have to find a way to get play calls in more quickly. The good news is most of these hurry up offenses tend to run the same few plays over and over in hurry up mode and I would think that if a defense studied the opponents bread and butter plays, they should in a perfect world be able to find something to defend those plays.

Todd4State
08-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Set them up. The hurry up is based off reads, so give them the obvious read. Stanford stopped Oregon like they knew what was coming...I personally believe this is what they did.

This too. Make their QB make a read, and then change real quick to some other look or coverage and force the QB to change to something else.

Coach34
08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Key is having an outstanding DL- and then having hybrid LB types that can run and cover.

If you can control the run game vs a hurry-up with a 3 man front- you have them beat

engie
08-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Being multiple and confusing on defense without the need for personnel changes... The hurry up puts teams on their heels and confuses them -- and the basic idea behind it is, without subbing, teams have to stay in roughly the same defensive look -- for which the offense can pick apart...

If it was me, I'd be crossteaching DE's as LB and LB's as DE's and other LB's as S. I'd be teaching S to play LB as well. Collins is doing that -- to what extent I doubt we find out immediately and won't come out in practice reports(has to take a while to figure out and fully implement)...

In doing that, you can line up in a 4-3 and go straight to a 3-3-5 -- and just showing the look will ideally confuse the offense -- and at the very least, make them audible in a different play and slow down...

Political Hack
08-09-2013, 06:47 PM
You need a DE that can drop to an OLB and an OLB that can also play a S.

With that rotation you can just focus on changing out your DTs and give the others a break during breaks in play. With quarters, TOs, replay, TV commercials, stops at changes of possession, scores, etc... there's no reason a defense can't stay fresh for 5-10 hurry up plays.

Between the 30's you have to change your DTs every time you can.

blacklistedbully
08-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Well, we should have one of the more "adjustable" defenses the SEC has seen in years this season. We have linebackers that can cover receivers, and DB's that can play linebacker. Linebackers that can play in a 3 point stance and DLineman that could play linebacker. It will be interesting to see if the strategy is effective. Can't be worse than the Chris Wilson method of stopping the hurry up spread

By Wilson method, you mean our end zone? Lots of opponents drives stopped there.

SheltonChoked
08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
In addition to being multiple by having several flexible players. Having depth in flexible players is just as important. The defense must sub everytime the offense subs to slow down the hurry up.

CadaverDawg
08-09-2013, 06:55 PM
By Wilson method, you mean our end zone? Lots of opponents drives stopped there.

Ha, yep that's the one. The Break but don't Bend.

Natedogg33
08-09-2013, 10:30 PM
First post, so please don't roast me too bad. The whole hurry up offense idea is predicated on pressuring the defense. So basically, flip the script and put the pressure on them to make the right reads and make the tough plays.
The first thing that has to happen, is we have to get Quay and Nick's heads right. Those two can make a hell of a difference if they're in shape and wrecking havoc. I like PJ and Virges is good, but Quay and Nick are different animals IMO. Regardless, there has to be a push from the middle. We have to get pressure out of our ends and quit that stand up shuffle shit. With Wells at weak lb and Hughes or whoever at SS, you don't have to have a drop end. Let the ends put pressure on the quarterback, while keeping containment.
We need to run a squat cover 2, and get out of the 9 or 10 yard cushion. That at least gives you a chance to squash that quick hitter garbage. It throws off the timing on the quick slants and 5 to 8 yard outs.
I'm not sure I wouldn't roll Whitley up to either one of the squat corners or SS. I just feel like his attributes would better suited closer to the line.
That's some of my ideas on the matter. Roast away.

Bass Chaser
08-09-2013, 10:34 PM
First we have to get lined up. Can't be standing around with our hands on our hips when the offense is getting ready to snap the ball. Next solid rotation which I think we have.

CadaverDawg
08-09-2013, 10:46 PM
First post, so please don't roast me too bad. The whole hurry up offense idea is predicated on pressuring the defense. So basically, flip the script and put the pressure on them to make the right reads and make the tough plays.
The first thing that has to happen, is we have to get Quay and Nick's heads right. Those two can make a hell of a difference if they're in shape and wrecking havoc. I like PJ and Virges is good, but Quay and Nick are different animals IMO. Regardless, there has to be a push from the middle. We have to get pressure out of our ends and quit that stand up shuffle shit. With Wells at weak lb and Hughes or whoever at SS, you don't have to have a drop end. Let the ends put pressure on the quarterback, while keeping containment.
We need to run a squat cover 2, and get out of the 9 or 10 yard cushion. That at least gives you a chance to squash that quick hitter garbage. It throws off the timing on the quick slants and 5 to 8 yard outs.
I'm not sure I wouldn't roll Whitley up to either one of the squat corners or SS. I just feel like his attributes would better suited closer to the line.
That's some of my ideas on the matter. Roast away.

Welcome aboard. You won't get roasted over here, man. We just like having knowledgable posters with good thoughts and discussion like your first post. Glad to have you here.

Natedogg33
08-09-2013, 10:58 PM
I appreciate it CD. Been here since ED started, just don't post.
One thing to understand about football, the defense has to be the aggressors. You can't let the offense come to you. Everyone that played the game know where the pretty boys are and where the hard nosed guys are. Hit em in the mouth.

CadaverDawg
08-09-2013, 11:22 PM
I appreciate it CD. Been here since ED started, just don't post.
One thing to understand about football, the defense has to be the aggressors. You can't let the offense come to you. Everyone that played the game know where the pretty boys are and where the hard nosed guys are. Hit em in the mouth.

No doubt. That is where Wilson went wrong. He wanted to play a zone and try to prevent the homerun, but instead it was a "die a slow painful death" style of defense that just wore out our D and killed their confidence in themselves AND their D Coordinator. I am expecting to see the complete opposite from Collins this year. Combine Collins with Deshea and D Turner, and we should be a completely different defense.

And I love the whole "mayhem" and "juice" comments coming from practice. The last time we had a coach talk about this type of aggressiveness and energy was the Joe Lee Dunn years.

Natedogg33
08-09-2013, 11:40 PM
That's exactly right. You cant keep giving 6 & 7 yard plays up continuously. your guys wear out from the number of plays, and they start getting pissed. Guys start looking at the dude next to em because they think they're not doing they're job. It's over at that point.
And that bend don't break deal looked real good as Bama and Mississippi were tossing balls over our Thorpe award winners head. Hopefully Deshea and Hughes will have our DBS on the same page.
Lord, Wilson squandered a pile of talent.

Todd4State
08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Nate- good to see some Madison County dogs on here.