PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting '17

msstate7
01-29-2016, 08:42 AM
With us adding 2 well known recruiters (Sirmon and buck) and expecting to add another, do you think we'll expand our recruiting footprint?

RC3
01-29-2016, 08:50 AM
No. They'll both get hired after the season by another school because we won't pay our assistants enough

louisvilledawg
01-29-2016, 09:06 AM
We need to talk to Cam Akers every chance we get.

HancockCountyDog
01-29-2016, 09:27 AM
We need to talk to Cam Akers every chance we get.

Akers and Hill aren't going to sign with the same school. We are going to land Hill. I genuinely believe Hill is the better back. Akers is a more East/West type back, Hill is more North/South. I just like Hill better, and we are landing him.

SDDawg
01-29-2016, 09:34 AM
'17 NSD is going to feel more like '15. More top guys locked up early, bigger in-state haul, less drama on message boards. That's my early read. That said, I'd like to see us pull a few higher ranked out of state guys and that seems to be something that Mullen is prioritizing a bit more. I'm not up to speed on the '17 target list but i have a feeling I'll be looking at it more this spring than I normally would.

SignalToNoise
01-29-2016, 09:37 AM
When Sirmon continues the tradition of leaving after one year I expect it will hurt us with whatever recruits he was responsible for.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-29-2016, 09:38 AM
SO we couldn't have thunder(North and South) and lightning(East and West)?

btw

My cousin(MSU fan) goes to school with Akers...He seems pretty adamant that he is not going to MSU. Of course you know what can happen over the course of a year.

msugolf
01-29-2016, 09:41 AM
I expect it to be a giant cluster, especially after Hugh runs Danno out of the stadium in Oxford next year and Dan tries to leave for another job after a 6 or 7 win season.

cheewgumm
01-29-2016, 09:42 AM
It's hard to be optimistic when we have 3-4 guys that could throw a rock and hit DWS that aren't committed 1 week before signingh day.

Let's "expand" to Starkville High first.

Dawgtini
01-29-2016, 09:48 AM
SMH at several doom and gloomers in this thread. Y'all need some Prozac.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-29-2016, 09:48 AM
Has it ever been considered that Dan and Co. told these guys to hold off on committing to make more of a splash on NSD...I mean the headlines are OM having such a "great" class. Maybe this is being set up to dilute that hype a little. Why don't we wait and see before we bash our staff for not sewing up local talent. If we do get them, there will be a giant Feast-O-Crow going on here at this board.

cheewgumm
01-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Maybe. if so, great, though I think it's a terrible strategy.

RC3
01-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Has it ever been considered that Dan and Co. told these guys to hold off on committing to make more of a splash on NSD...I mean the headlines are OM having such a "great" class. Maybe this is being set up to dilute that hype a little.
Considered yes. But we have a seven year track record of doing the complete opposite. How many hat ceremonies have gone our way? Very few

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-29-2016, 09:55 AM
It may expand in the sence that those two may have relationships with players that are seniors that we're recruiting at their previous schools. But I don't see Dan expanding our footprint long term.

We need to lock down any recruit within a 50 mile radius of campus right off the bat so they can help recruit during Jr days and Big Dawg camp that's coming up.

We need to make Cam a priority every single day until signing day next year. Just like a defensive coach puts a spy on a QB to follow his every move, we need to put a spy on Cam to cater to his recruitment until signing day.

Something else we need to do that nobody has mentioned...Dan needs to hound Strick until he increases our recruiting budget. Last time I looked, ole miss was spending a quarter million dollars more than us. And that's just the legal spending. We hired Lee Davis from Alabama a few years ago to oversee an administrative type roll for recruiting. In an interview she did, she commented that Alabama had 8 people doing the work that she was doing for us. We have to bulk up our recruiting efforts behind the scenes to assist our coaches on the front lines.

Dawgtini
01-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Something else we need to do that nobody has mentioned...Dan needs to hound Strick until he increases our recruiting budget. Last time I looked, ole miss was spending a quarter million dollars more than us. And that's just the legal spending. We hired Lee Davis from Alabama a few years ago to oversee an administrative type roll for recruiting. In an interview she did, she commented that Alabama had 8 people doing the work that she was doing for us. We have to bulk up our recruiting efforts behind the scenes to assist our coaches on the front lines.

Regardless of your opinion of our staff's recruiting ability, ^^^THIS^^ is a must going forward.

Mjoelner34
01-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Something else we need to do that nobody has mentioned...Dan needs to hound Strick until he increases our recruiting budget. Last time I looked, ole miss was spending a quarter million dollars more than us. And that's just the legal spending.

I was told by someone pretty high up in the athletic department to not fall for the lack of recruiting budget stuff. All the money they need to travel anywhere in the world is there.

ETA: Mis-read your post. Thought you were saying that we can't travel to recruit. I see now that you are talking about expanding staff and the people behind the scenes.