Who ya got?

preachermatt83
01-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Robson- CF
C Brown- LF
Humphries- RF
Rooker- DH
Collins- 3b

With Hudson on the hill. Not settled on anything else just yet.

msstate7
01-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Robson- CF
C Brown- LF
Humphries- RF
Rooker- DH
Collins- 3b

I like Collins at 3b. Who's catching battle?

Ralph
01-28-2016, 08:49 AM
I like Collins at 3b. Who's catching battle?

Hopefully Morerro

engie
01-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Robson- CF
C Brown- LF
Humphries- RF
Rooker- DH
Collins- 3b

In this setup -- I think you'd probably see Hump as the DH. Rooker has a higher ceiling as an outfielder IMO.

I think the only givens are Hudson on the hill and Robson in center.

Ralph
01-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Anyone know who's playing 1b? Cole Gordon and Nathaniel Lowe I believe are battling with both having big bats. Lowe is juco transfer and hit 17 Hr last year and Gordon may be doing a little pitching also. Should be better than last year either way at this position.

Backwoodsdawg
01-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Still some good battles going on but here is what could happen...

CF-Robson
RF-C.Brown
LF-M.Smith
DH-Rooker
3b-Collins/Stovall?
1b-Lowe
2b-Stovall/Holland?
C-Kruger/Marrero?
SS-Gridley/Alexander?

?= to close to call but the courtesy "start" will probably go to the upper classman, but the young guns will play...a lot!

bulldogcountry1
01-28-2016, 09:28 AM
This is tough. Robson is the only one I can place with any confidence.

Robson - CF
Collins - 3B
Rooker - RF
Hump - DH
Lowe - 1B
Brown - LF
Holland - 2B
Marrero - C
Alexander - SS

Taog Redloh
01-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Reynolds is going to play, some of you have bumped your heads.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-28-2016, 10:20 AM
MAN I CANT WAIT FOR BASEBALL!!!!

confucius say
01-28-2016, 10:25 AM

I was wondering looking at the lineups people were posting. He was our best hitter last year.

bulldogcountry1
01-28-2016, 11:15 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 16 different position players opening weekend. Picking a lineup at this point is just a wild guess.

Reynold finished strong last season, but I don't know where he stands, defensively. If Collins plays 3rd, where does Reynolds go?

Taog Redloh
01-28-2016, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 16 different position players opening weekend. Picking a lineup at this point is just a wild guess.

Reynold finished strong last season, but I don't know where he stands, defensively. If Collins plays 3rd, where does Reynolds go?

DH against RHP I guess. I can't say definitively what will happen (I mean, it is Cohen after all) but I think it's a sure bet that Reynolds will at MINIMUM start vs. RHP.

A lot depends on if we develop into a defensive or offensive club along the way. If we go defense I think you probably see Reynolds at 3B, unless Stovall is just too good to not play. That will put Smith in the OF and Rooker at DH. But then you have Collins, who isn't exactly a defensive catcher. Who knows, good problem to have.

Steakonastick
01-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Cf Robson
Dh Reynolds
Rf Rooker
3b Collins
1b Lowe
C Kruger
2b Holland
Lf humpreys
Ss- Alexander

Friday- Hudson
Saturday- Brown
Sunday- Sexton

Closer- nobody knows yet.

bulldogcountry1
01-28-2016, 11:37 AM
DH against RHP I guess. I can't say definitively what will happen (I mean, it is Cohen after all) but I think it's a sure bet that Reynolds will at MINIMUM start vs. RHP.

A lot depends on if we develop into a defensive or offensive club along the way. If we go defense I think you probably see Reynolds at 3B, unless Stovall is just too good to not play. That will put Smith in the OF and Rooker at DH. But then you have Collins, who isn't exactly a defensive catcher. Who knows, good problem to have.

Yeah, for the first time, I think we actually have depth. We have a bunch of very talented young guys challenging some pretty talented older guys. In the past, it's always been a compromise trying to make a lineup with guys who do one thing okay and other things not so much - finding the lesser of two evils. We always settle into the small, scrappy defensive guys, for the most part.

Taog Redloh
01-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Yeah, for the first time, I think we actually have depth. We have a bunch of very talented young guys challenging some pretty talented older guys. In the past, it's always been a compromise trying to make a lineup with guys who do one thing okay and other things not so much - finding the lesser of two evils. We always settle into the small, scrappy defensive guys, for the most part.
Scholarships really hurt us with depth IMO, so we constantly have to worry about transfers. Nobody wants to stick around on 25% scholarship if they aren't playing. So I guess it is a good thing that Cohen plays a bunch of people, keeps the players hopeful.

Maybe since we appear to have some power pitchers we can play for a little more offense.

Tbonewannabe
01-28-2016, 12:24 PM
Does Collins play 3rd or RF or even catch on opening day? Defensively at catcher it would be a stretch to say Collins was average but he does have a cannon of an arm.

Ralph
01-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Does Collins play 3rd or RF or even catch on opening day? Defensively at catcher it would be a stretch to say Collins was average but he does have a cannon of an arm.

I would be mildly surprised if Collins plays any C this year with the depth we've added and given his defensive skills need some work.

Lovelady, Morrero & Kruger. Morrero is definitely the one with most upside but how quickly can he adjust being true freshman and who's got the best bat? Should be fun battle to watch

Ralph
01-28-2016, 01:02 PM
I also think Cole Gordon will get some reps at 1B along with Lowe. Gordon won the summer league batting title and Lowe is a juco all American. Both have HR power.

Coach34
01-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Didn't Reynolds have a big Summer also? He will be in the lineup

Ralph
01-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Didn't Reynolds have a big Summer also? He will be in the lineup

Indeed. Was 2nd team all star in same league as Gordon played. Hit .350 and Gordon hit .400 and also led OB% and slugging %

Ralph
01-28-2016, 01:23 PM
It's anyone's guess really but mine is:

Robson CF
Reynolds RF
Collins 3B
Rooker LF
Humphreys DH
Lowe/Gordon 1B
Holland 2B
Morrero/Kruger C
Alexander SS

RAYn_Man
01-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Robson CF
Kruger C
Collins 3B
Rooker RF
Humphreys DH
Lowe 1B
C. Brown LF
Holland 2B
Gridley SS

Hudson, D. Brown, Tatum, Sexton on the bump. Book it.

Backwoodsdawg
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Robson CF
Kruger C
Collins 3B
Rooker RF
Humphreys DH
Lowe 1B
C. Brown LF
Holland 2B
Gridley SS

Hudson, D. Brown, Tatum, Sexton on the bump. Book it.

I tend to lean with this one because the thread is about the "opening day" line up not the "Saturday" and "Sunday" one! Because I promise you those will be a little different on those days hahaha!!

CarolinaDawgs
01-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Tatum gonna be our Friday night guy by SEC play. no doubts. Sets a better tone for a series than any guy we got on the staff.

Taog Redloh
01-28-2016, 03:08 PM
LOL

maroonmania
01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
To me the only 3 guys that proved themselves last season as hitters are Cody Brown, Luke Reynolds and Collins (when healthy). Everybody else has a LOT to prove offensively.

Tbonewannabe
01-28-2016, 08:48 PM
Tatum gonna be our Friday night guy by SEC play. no doubts. Sets a better tone for a series than any guy we got on the staff.

Hudson has 1st or 2nd round potential from everything I have seen. If he isn't the Friday night guy I hope it is because Tatum is pitching like Stratton his junior year.

Todd4State
01-28-2016, 10:40 PM
My guesses

Fri- Dakota
Sat- Daniel Brown
Sun- Sexton

Midweek- Tatum

Closer- Houston

Bullpen- Billingsley, Rigsby, and whatever freshmen step up.

C- Kruger
1B- Lowe
2B- Holland to start the year. He better perform though.
3B- Collins
SS- Gridley to start the year. Could move to second if Holland struggles and then we start Alexander.
LF- Cody Brown
CF- Robson
RF- Humphreys
DH- Rooker

I expect to see a lot of Stovall, Marrero, Luke Reynolds, and Michael Smith too.

Steakonastick
01-29-2016, 08:58 AM
Pretty interesting hearing Cohen on Head to Head. He talked about the jumps Hudson and Rooker have made. Said Sexton and Brown r very solid. Talked about how Collins, Billingsley, and Young r fully healthy. Said some great battles on infield
3b-Collins and Reynolds
SS-Alexander and Gridley
2B-Holland and Stovall
1B-Lowe and Kruger

Said we might have the toughest schedule in the nation and players r excited about that.

djaymsu5
01-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Does anyone think Barfield gets a chance at DH some or does he redshirt?

Backwoodsdawg
01-29-2016, 09:11 AM
My guesses

SS- Gridley to start the year. Could move to second if Holland struggles and then we start Alexander.

maybe

Intramural All-American
01-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Kruger is very good, but coming off biceps surgery. He most likely won't start opening day at anything other than 1b or DH if at all, because he's not throwing at full speed yet.

Political Hack
01-29-2016, 09:52 AM
Gridley will not be moved to 2nd unless Holland AND Stovall both struggle, because if just Holland struggles Stovall will play 2nd if he can get it done! Go watch a scrimmage or heck just watch a round of infield or BP you will see what I'm talking about.

Sounds like middle infield will be strong. We've got several options at catcher and some strong OFs. If pitching throws like they're expected, it's just up to the bats IMO. I think this team has a chance to be pretty freaking good. Depth hasn't been better than it is now.

CarolinaDawgs
01-29-2016, 10:22 AM
My guesses

Fri- Dakota
Sat- Daniel Brown
Sun- Sexton

Midweek- Tatum

Closer- Houston

Bullpen- Billingsley, Rigsby, and whatever freshmen step up.

C- Kruger
1B- Lowe
2B- Holland to start the year. He better perform though.
3B- Collins
LF- Cody Brown
CF- Robson
RF- Humphreys
DH- Rooker

I expect to see a lot of Stovall, Marrero, Luke Reynolds, and Michael Smith too.

You can go ahead and get your glove ready in LFL with Sexton and Brown on the weekends.

I also would advise on Neck warmups so you don't tweak anything watching balls fly out of the park.

Backspin
01-29-2016, 11:17 AM
Holland had an insane .992 fielding percentage (2 errors in 256 attempts) last year and 1.000 (0 errors in 135 attempts) in SEC games. He also hit at a .274 clip during SEC games. Holland will man 2B. Stovall, a very talented player with a bright future, will get reps there in some games this year and start at 2B in 2017.

The fight at SS will be fun to watch and somebody's going to have to change positions at some point.

Backwoodsdawg
01-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Holland had an insane .992 fielding percentage (2 errors in 256 attempts) last year and 1.000 (0 errors in 135 attempts) in SEC games. He also hit at a .274 clip during SEC games. Holland will man 2B. Stovall, a very talented player with a bright future, will get reps there in some games this year and start at 2B in 2017.

The fight at SS will be fun to watch and somebody's going to have to change positions at some point.

We will see! It's gonna be interesting in several positions. 2nd base is not as locked up as you think, take tonight's scrimmage as an example. Good to have options for sure!