PDA

View Full Version : The perception of Stansbury, Memphis

Maroonthirteen
01-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Leaving Memphis Monday, I listened to Geoff Calkins show. He had some national analyst on and they were discussing the potential of the Memphis job opening. They agreed Stansbury will be a candidate but a candidate way down the list. Then they joke that Stansbury would walk from College Station to Memphis for the job. But the interesting part is both Calkins and the analyst painted Stansbury as a rogue recruiter that would invite NCAA trouble to Memphis.

Traveling through Little Rock today, I hear them analyzing Arkansas vs Texas A&M. They mention A&Ms Coach and Stansberry. They mentioned what a good coach Gillespie was but Stansberry makes him better by carrying all the cash.

First of all, those ##ck sticks in Little Rock... I can't believe they even know who the assistant coaches for a team beyond the White River. Insular SObs..... but I digress.

My point is, I don't recall Stansberry getting us on NCAA probation. I recall an NCAA inquiry into the program and nothing coming out of it. But I'm sure you guys remember better. Was there any NCAA penalties during Stansbury time?

I just think that guy gets a bad rap. I guess it all stems from his recruitment of Renardo Sidney.???

Big4Dawg
01-27-2016, 12:47 PM
No penalties but everyone knew he was dirty.

No other reason you can explain letting Gary Ervin transfer to a school in your own division.

DancingRabbit
01-27-2016, 12:54 PM

No other reason you can explain letting Gary Ervin transfer to a school in your own division.

Everybody does it **

DancingRabbit
01-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Leaving Memphis Monday, I listened to Geoff Calkins show. He had some national analyst on and they were discussing the potential of the Memphis job opening. They agreed Stansbury will be a candidate but a candidate way down the list. Then they joke that Stansbury would walk from College Station to Memphis for the job. But the interesting part is both Calkins and the analyst painted Stansbury as a rogue recruiter that would invite NCAA trouble to Memphis.

Traveling through Little Rock today, I hear them analyzing Arkansas vs Texas A&M. They mention A&Ms Coach and Stansberry. They mentioned what a good coach Gillespie was but Stansberry makes him better by carrying all the cash.

First of all, those ##ck sticks in Little Rock... I can't believe they even know who the assistant coaches for a team beyond the White River. Insular SObs..... but I digress.

My point is, I don't recall Stansberry getting us on NCAA probation. I recall an NCAA inquiry into the program and nothing coming out of it. But I'm sure you guys remember better. Was there any NCAA penalties during Stansbury time?

I just think that guy gets a bad rap. I guess it all stems from his recruitment of Renardo Sidney.???

All the while slobbing Bruce Pearl's knob.

Maroonthirteen
01-27-2016, 12:56 PM
Do you think he was doing anything different than any other program in the SEC at the time?

I imagine what ever went on with Gary Ervin, Is child's play compared to what pearl was doing or cal at Memphis.

mstatefan91
01-27-2016, 12:57 PM
I have first hand experience with Stansbury bending the rules for a player. It wasn't anything major, but it was clear that he took care of his performers.

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2016, 12:57 PM
We were investigated out the wazoo and they never found anything AT ALL. It's one of those things that "everyone knew" without one shred of evidence EVER being there.

Coach34
01-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Everybody outside of the State fanbase knows exactly how Stands is and what he is best at. He's Freezus without all the religion bullshit.

Maroonthirteen
01-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Ha! I forgot they mention pearl. Good point! They were also acting like being at Auburn was cruel and unusual punishment. I'm not so sure Pearl would leave Auburn for Memphis..... As they assumed.

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2016, 01:03 PM

There is one other explanation: Stans probably thought it would sabotage Arkansas. I wasn't that upset to see the back of him. I was far from the only one.

Coach34
01-27-2016, 01:05 PM
I have first hand experience with Stansbury bending the rules for a player. It wasn't anything major, but it was clear that he took care of his performers.

Oh no doubt. Ive got a good friend that has been an AAU "sponsor" for us. But you have to be an idiot to get caught in college basketball today. Its too easy to hide things.

Coach34
01-27-2016, 01:07 PM
There is one other explanation: Stans probably thought it would sabotage Arkansas. .

Thats not the case. But lets say it was for arguments sake- how dumb does that make Stands look? Ervin went to the NCAA's every year he was at UPig- we didnt. He even knocked us out one year in the SEC Tourney semi's and dropped about 20 on us in the process.

It_Could_Happen
01-27-2016, 01:13 PM

I'm from Arkansas and personally I like Arkansas sports radio. I think they do a great job not only covering Arkansas sports but the entire sec. Which ones are you talking about?

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Thats not the case. But lets say it was for arguments sake- how dumb does that make Stands look? Ervin went to the NCAA's every year he was at UPig- we didnt. He even knocked us out one year in the SEC Tourney semi's and dropped about 20 on us in the process.

So you thought Ervin was great team player? Honestly Stans' biggest fault was keeping guys around that needed to go. If he had done that with some other guys he might still be here. I'm NOT talking about Sid either. The problem was well advanced by the time Sid got here. Now I'm sure you will take that as "evidence". My take is he was never hard enough on his players. He didn't have enough of the "bad cop" in him. That works great as an assistant but it doesn't work that well when you are the headman and there is more than one bad actor on your team.

starkvegasdawg
01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
I've just got two words to sum up recruiting in BB at MSU back in the day...Dontae Jones. I know Stansbury wasn't the head coach then, but he was on staff.

Coach34
01-27-2016, 01:23 PM
So you thought Ervin was great team player? Honestly Stans' biggest fault was keeping guys around that needed to go. If he had done that with some other guys he might still be here. I'm NOT talking about Sid either. The problem was well advanced by the time Sid got here. Now I'm sure you will take that as "evidence". My take is he was never hard enough on his players. He didn't have enough of the "bad cop" in him. That works great as an assistant but it doesn't work that well when you are the headman and there is more than one bad actor on your team.

I agree with all that actually. Stands perfect spot for him is what he did with Williams and what he is doing now. He knows how to get things done in Crootin- and he does a good job of playing the Good Cop. And no- Ervin was a headache- but he was a pretty good SEC PG. He was SEC POTW at least 3 times the 2 years at UPig. It was what it was.

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2016, 01:25 PM
I've just got two words to sum up recruiting in BB at MSU back in the day...Dontae Jones. I know Stansbury wasn't the head coach then, but he was on staff.

The deal with Jones was getting him eligible to be enrolled. THAT was investigated VERY heavily. The NCAA tried to nail us on that one. What was done was entirely within the rules, albeit at the VERY edge of them. It resulted in that loophole being closed by the NCAA.

Maroonthirteen
01-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Acri and Pat. I actually like the show in general. It is entertaining. But Acris persona rubs me wrong. I like Tommy and Bazals morning show too. But there are some personalities over there that are unbearable... The guys on drive time in the afternoon, and bo Mattingly. It's all Razorbacks all the time with those guys.

Johnson85
01-27-2016, 01:29 PM
Everybody outside of the State fanbase knows exactly how Stands is and what he is best at. He's Freezus without all the religion bullshit.

Everybody that understands NCAA basketball knows that Stans was just like every other Div. I NCAA basketball coach, he was just better at it than most. He benefited from good help but he also busted his ass.

Coach34
01-27-2016, 01:29 PM
The deal with Jones was getting him eligible to be enrolled. THAT was investigated VERY heavily. The NCAA tried to nail us on that one. What was done was entirely within the rules, albeit at the VERY edge of them. It resulted in that loophole being closed by the NCAA.

Look- you can defend him all day long- he's your guy and all that. He is what he is- and he has that perception by EVERYBODY else for a reason. Where he gets the last laugh is that he has never been caught. Thats a credit to him.

starkvegasdawg
01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Look- you can defend him all day long- he's your guy and all that. He is what he is- and he has that perception by EVERYBODY else for a reason. Where he gets the last laugh is that he has never been caught. Thats a credit to him.

And we won't talk about the BMW's and Cadillacs they drove. He may not have been a good X's and O's coach but he had a BB network that put the current bear football network to shame.

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2016, 01:38 PM

Kind of like what y'all all want in football recruiting? Stans had his faults but he did win. He won pretty big till he allowed some bad actors in too. I still laugh at you using the "perception" that everybody has of him as ironclad evidence that he was cheating. The FACT is that the NCAA looked into him and his basketball program multiple times and never found anything at all. There is ZERO evidence for it. That isn't to say or not say he was cheating. All I have ever said was that we were under the NCAA microscope and they never found anything.

drunkernhelldawg
01-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Running him out of town has not helped us so far. Maybe next season.

thf24
01-27-2016, 01:48 PM
Running him out of town has not helped us so far. Maybe next season.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Maroonthirteen
01-27-2016, 01:51 PM
he had a BB network that put the current bear football network to shame.

Negative.

Johnson85
01-27-2016, 02:05 PM
but he had a BB network that put the current bear football network to shame.

BS. Our network did their job but he didn't pull anything ridiculous like the bears have. Pretty much everyone came from LA, MS, or Bama. Lawrence Roberts had a family connection. Shane Power was a big pull out of left field but I'm not sure how highly desired he was. Know he had a good freshman year in Iowa, just don't remember hearing about him utnil he was coming to state. Gary Ervin was a big pull but he was coached by a prior Stansbury player (Myles?) before coming to MSU. He was very good at picking up good but underrated players from the southeast (Varnado and Barry) or alternatively good players with character issues (Kodi) or highly rated players that were huge projects (Gooden?). he didnt' get any ridiculous players that he shouldn't have. The closest thing, as mentioned, was Dontae, but we had a plan to get him eligible and that probably helped.

engie
01-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Stans is one of the best assistant coaches in the country. He had shortcomings that he never could successfully self-examine as a head guy though. No need to rehash what they were for the millionth time. The difference between very good head coaches and the elite guys are that ability to self-examine and add staff members you allow to fill the gaps.

Spiderman
01-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Stans is one of the best assistant coaches in the country. He had shortcomings that he never could successfully self-examine as a head guy though. No need to rehash what they were for the millionth time. The difference between very good head coaches and the elite guys are that ability to self-examine and add staff members you allow to fill the gaps.

Good post.... and I agree 100%, Angie.

War Machine Dawg
01-27-2016, 03:30 PM

Don't know why this is so damn hard to understand. But Stands will always walk on water to a sizable contingent of our hoops fans. He's one of the dirtiest crooters in hoops. And props to him for it, because there's no other way to get real players in hoops. You have to be a complete dumbass like Pearl to get caught cheating in hoops crootin.

dawgs
01-27-2016, 03:41 PM

I wish stans had recruited on freeze's level. We might have actually made it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney under him if he had.

dawgs
01-27-2016, 03:43 PM

An even bigger indicator than Gary Ervin imo was not cracking down on renardo more harshly or booting him altogether after the fight in Hawaii.

drunkernhelldawg
01-27-2016, 03:52 PM
A lot of people talk of athletic teams as though the parts are inanimate. Coaches have to deal the people their players are. It's not something that can be accomplished with pencil and paper. There's no formula to put in a computer to make this shit come out right. It's all human y human.

Dawg61
01-27-2016, 05:29 PM
And we won't talk about the BMW's and Cadillacs they drove. He may not have been a good X's and O's coach but he had a BB network that put the current bear football network to shame.

You used to be able to drive to the back of the Commons and it suddenly turned into a luxury and SUV car dealership. Half the team lived in 3 apartments on top of each other and they had the entire parking lot full of BMW's and Escalades. Tyrone Washington had two $40,000+ rides.

Dawg61
01-27-2016, 05:35 PM
Kind of like what y'all all want in football recruiting? Stans had his faults but he did win. He won pretty big till he allowed some bad actors in too. I still laugh at you using the "perception" that everybody has of him as ironclad evidence that he was cheating. The FACT is that the NCAA looked into him and his basketball program multiple times and never found anything at all. There is ZERO evidence for it. That isn't to say or not say he was cheating. All I have ever said was that we were under the NCAA microscope and they never found anything.

I see you're still choosing to ignore that Stansbury missed on over THIRTY of the players he signed after losing to Xavier.

dawgs
01-27-2016, 07:02 PM
I mean guys like zimm, Barry, varnado, Winston Frazier, bowers, etc. (some of our best players under stans) were not that highly recruited. Maybe a few power conference offers, but we weren't beating out kentucky, Kansas, ucla, duke, and unc for their signatures, which would have been the equivalent of ole miss currently beating out bama, lsu, uga, usc, Florida, f$u, etc. for signatures.