PDA

View Full Version : Ready

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Watched the game last night and read the comments afterwards. Would have thought Ready played terrible with the comments posted. 20 points on 6-8 shooting, 7 assists, and 4 rebounds. He has his issues size wise especially defensively but he has been a solid pg for us this season. The offense looks completely disrupted when he's not on the floor. He is going to be a good nice contributor for us next season paving the way for those highly talented players like Peters. Highly doubt he
s "processed" after averaging 30 mins a game this season.
As for the team they play their hearts out but don't have the man power. Can't win getting outrebounded by 25. And it's even harder to win trying to rebound with 4 guards out there all under 6'4.

mic
01-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Watched the game last night and read the comments afterwards. Would have thought Ready played terrible with the comments posted. 20 points on 6-8 shooting, 7 assists, and 4 rebounds. He has his issues size wise especially defensively but he has been a solid pg for us this season. The offense looks completely disrupted when he's not on the floor. He is going to be a good nice contributor for us next season paving the way for those highly talented players like Peters. Highly doubt he
As for the team they play their hearts out but don't have the man power. Can't win getting outrebounded by 25. And it's even harder to win trying to rebound with 4 guards out there all under 6'4.

Yes Ready is a liability on defense , but when you have ZERO post presence it's hard for anyone on the perimeter to play defense..
Dee Boost was an average defender at best , but opposing players knew when they drove to lane JV was there..
For as good as Gavin can be at times on the offensive end , he is terrible on the defensive side of the ball..

chef dixon
01-27-2016, 09:07 AM
Good post. Ready has contributed more to this team than Ware this season but fans already have their minds made up. Ready has some stretches of scoring that keep us in ball games. His assists are up tremendously from last as well.

CadaverDawg
01-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Good post. Ready has contributed more to this team than Ware this season but fans already have their minds made up. Ready has some stretches of scoring that keep us in ball games. His assists are up tremendously from last as well.

Wut?

Ha, his turnovers and out of control play wipe out a majority of the good he does. Yes, he helps to spark some runs.....but he sparks the runs by our opponents too by making poor decisions or taking awful shots in key moments.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Wut?

Ha, his turnovers and out of control play wipe out a majority of the good he does. Yes, he helps to spark some runs.....but he sparks the runs by our opponents too by making poor decisions or taking awful shots in key moments.

Turnovers? He had 1 turnover last night & has 31 turnovers in 19 games. His turnover ratio is great.

CadaverDawg
01-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Turnovers? He had 1 turnover last night & has 31 turnovers in 19 games. His turnover ratio is great.

Because tripping down the lane and throwing a blind shot over your left shoulder off the glass doesn't count as a turnover, ha. It's not JUST turnovers, it's his unwillingness to give up the ball in key moments, & playing out of control. Also, things like last night when u make a bad shot worse by fouling the guy out of frustration and putting him on the line. You gotta have better decisions from a Junior PG IMO.

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 09:47 AM
Your bias is way too strong. There are things to be upset about with Ready but turning the ball over is not one of them. He has the most assists by far on the team and his assist/turnover ratio is blowing everyone elses' out of the park. But hey lets not use stats to argue just spout off whatever comes to our head.

chef dixon
01-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Wut?

Well please explain what ware does to help the team, especially since we started playing teams with a pulse? IJ hasn't been terrible this season. He's not the only one doing the things you described, he's just the one you choose to notice the most.

mic
01-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Because tripping down the lane and throwing a blind shot over your left shoulder off the glass doesn't count as a turnover, ha. It's not JUST turnovers, it's his unwillingness to give up the ball in key moments, & playing out of control. Also, things like last night when u make a bad shot worse by fouling the guy out of frustration and putting him on the line. You gotta have better decisions from a Junior PG IMO.

Sword has done that many more times than IJ... And is a SR..

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 10:00 AM

Q, Malik, & Chicken all took more shots than IJ. All had more turnovers than IJ. Does IJ make mistakes sure he does but you guys dislike for him is blinding the fact that he's the only guy on the team who remotely knows how to distribute the ball without turning it over constantly.

whosyourdawgy
01-27-2016, 10:03 AM
I think IJ actually played a pretty good game last night. The player that has sucked ass for us the last few games is Gavin. He can not score on players that are his equal. Hell he can't even get his shot off without getting it blocked. Not to mention he can't move his feet on D and gets some silly fouls and sits on the bench. He needs to step his ass up and help.

Sword is the one that kills us with turnovers He had one play last night where he drove and saw Gavin down low and you could almost feel his brain trying to figure out how to get him the ball. He made a good bounce pass to him for the dunk. The problem is he took 4 steps before he passed it. And everytime he shoots a 3 I'm screaming REBOUND. Shit, he shot one from the corner that banged off the side of the backboard. He is energetic and can be great at times but you'd think after 4 years, the stupid things would be less but they aren't.

Fred and Daniels are basically just bodies wasting minutes out there after 4 years.

But IJ was not our problem last night. Rebounding lost that game last night and not much else

tcdog70
01-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Sword has done that many more times than IJ... And is a SR..

Man Chicken covered up Ware and Ready by blocking 4 shots after their man blew by them. Chicken is five times the player Ready is. The other Coaches understand how good Chicken is that's why He is the only player we have to get All-Sec votes. Ready had his best game offensively last night. But he can't guard a 6'6" player. Chicken and Q keep us in games. Q is a 2 playing the 4 and is a Freshman. Q is the only player we have that can block out. If Ware knew how to block out he would double his rebounds.

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Ij has been solid pretty much all season. If before the season you would have said that he would be giving you 10 points with 4.5 assists and 1.5 turnovers we would have been excited. He's not an all-SEC guy but he's an asset. It is just fans look for a scapegoat and he is it. But the biggest problem is we don't have a 4. And know that Q is playing the 4 we don't have any firepower off the bench.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Man Chicken covered up Ware and Ready by blocking 4 shots after their man blew by them. Chicken is five times the player Ready is. The other Coaches understand how good Chicken is that's why He is the only player we have to get All-Sec votes. Ready had his best game offensively last night. But he can't guard a 6'6" player. Chicken and Q keep us in games. Q is a 2 playing the 4 and is a Freshman. Q is the only player we have that can block out. If Ware knew how to block out he would double his rebounds.

I love Chicken & he plays hard & does some good things but he turns the ball over at an alarming rate. Way too much for a 4th year starting player. If we're going to criticize Ready for his mistakes you can't have on blinders for a kid who has double the amount of turnovers of anybody else on the team & no that's not an exaggeration.

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 10:09 AM
*now

tcdog70
01-27-2016, 10:14 AM
Q, Malik, & Chicken all took more shots than IJ. All had more turnovers than IJ. Does IJ make mistakes sure he does but you guys dislike for him is blinding the fact that he's the only guy on the team who remotely knows how to distribute the ball without turning it over constantly.

we certainly hope that those 3 guys continue to shoot more than ready. At least when they score they DON'T give it back by playing no defense. the 6'6" guy tore Ready ass up last night. he does't turn it over because he holds it till the clock runs down and then either shoots or throws it to someone with 4 seconds left on the clock and Chicken has to drive or throw up a shot. Until Ready quits playing we will never win big. We for sure won't win a close game, because the other team can always get a decent shot by going at IJ. How about the shot right before half isolate Ready and just shoot over him like he is a ghost.

mic
01-27-2016, 10:15 AM

What 5'11 player can guard a 6'6 guy well??.
And I dont think IJ's defensive assignment last night was Carrera.. Who no one could guard..

chef dixon
01-27-2016, 10:16 AM
To add to that, in conference play Ware is averaging 12pts, 6rebs, 1.7 turnovers, shooting 46% while IJ is averaging 11pts, 4 dimes, 3rebs, 1.4 turnovers and shooting 47%.

Less turnovers and higher FG% for the 5'11" PG than our biggest guy. Not to mention I think Ware should be easily grabbing 10 boards a game as our only real big. Doesn't help he can't stay on the floor due to foul trouble. I feel bad for him because it's hard to do it all himself but it is what it is at this point.

chef dixon
01-27-2016, 10:18 AM
I love Chicken & he plays hard & does some good things but he turns the ball over at an alarming rate. Way too much for a 4th year starting player. If we're going to criticize Ready for his mistakes you can't have on blinders for a kid who has double the amount of turnovers of anybody else on the team & no that's not an exaggeration.

Nailed it. Chicken hasn't gotten any better at this over 4 years. Love his athleticism but this is a crippling attribute of his.

tcdog70
01-27-2016, 10:19 AM

man Chicken and Q are the only two player that can drive and finish. If we had anyone else that could score then Chicken wouldn't have to try and drive to the rack. When Ware goes into his FUNK, then Chicken driving is our best option.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 10:21 AM
man Chicken and Q are the only two player that can drive and finish. If we had anyone else that could score then Chicken wouldn't have to try and drive to the rack. When Ware goes into his FUNK, then Chicken driving is our best option.

That's fine but can he drive to the hole without turning it over so much? If he we could cut his turnovers in half we'd be a lot better team also.

tcdog70
01-27-2016, 10:21 AM
What 5'11 player can guard a 6'6 guy well??.
And I dont think IJ's defensive assignment last night was Carrera.. Who no one could guard..

their PG was 6'6" not Carrera

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 10:22 AM

He means who's job was it to guard Carrera. You know the guy who went for 30+. Instead of harping on Ready not being able to guard DJ Dozier who had 6pts why not look & place blame on who was guarding Carrera when he was putting up a career high.

tcdog70
01-27-2016, 10:27 AM
That's fine but can he drive to the hole without turning it over so much? If he we could cut his turnovers in half we'd be a lot better team also.

way to over state the obvious-No shit Sherlock-maybe you could send Him a memo. some of his TOs are because he is getting Mugged and there is the No-call. Some of his turnovers are because Ware has hands of iron and can't catch his pass. The only passes Ready attempts are passes around the perimeter, when do you see Ready attempt an entry pass? he gets assits be cause Malik and Q hits 3s

engie
01-27-2016, 10:31 AM
No one is saying the problem is "just" IJ. He's singled out because this season is over and all the other problems don't have the option to come back next year. Ready is what he is -- and I think Peters is better right now -- Malik obviously is -- and there are two additional combo guards coming.

confucius say
01-27-2016, 10:36 AM

I said the same thing at the end of Saturdays game thread against mississippi. Ready gets too much blame on this site. He does a lot of good.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 10:37 AM
way to over state the obvious-No shit Sherlock-maybe you could send Him a memo. some of his TOs are because he is getting Mugged and there is the No-call. Some of his turnovers are because Ware has hands of iron and can't catch his pass. The only passes Ready attempts are passes around the perimeter, when do you see Ready attempt an entry pass? he gets assits be cause Malik and Q hits 3s

OK sure. Ban Ready from the team & gym.

chef dixon
01-27-2016, 10:37 AM
No one is saying the problem is "just" IJ. He's singled out because this season is over and all the other problems don't have the option to come back next year. Ready is what he is -- and I think Peters is better right now -- Malik obviously is -- and there are two additional combo guards coming.

The thing is though is I think IJ has a role on the team next year as our back up PG. I have no doubt that Peters is better, but IJ is clearly better at handling the ball and bringing it up the court than Malik is right now. If Wright or Carter can do it better than IJ then that's great, but I don't know that at the moment.

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Sword is the guy that has disappointed the most. The shoulder injury seems to have killed whatever outside shot he had as hes down to 18% from 3 this season. You would have hoped with Malik and Q he wouldn't still be turning the ball over so much either. But he's battling and is a warrior. Hopefully he finds a rhythm and finishes strong. Have liked his tenacity attacking the rim these 4 years

confucius say
01-27-2016, 10:41 AM
Ij has been solid pretty much all season. If before the season you would have said that he would be giving you 10 points with 4.5 assists and 1.5 turnovers we would have been excited. He's not an all-SEC guy but he's an asset. It is just fans look for a scapegoat and he is it. But the biggest problem is we don't have a 4. And know that Q is playing the 4 we don't have any firepower off the bench.

Yep. If we had a four the quality of q and some average post depth that could just rebound we would be pretty good.

confucius say
01-27-2016, 10:45 AM
He means who's job was it to guard Carrera. You know the guy who went for 30+. Instead of harping on Ready not being able to guard DJ Dozier who had 6pts why not look & place blame on who was guarding Carrera when he was putting up a career high.

Which again goes back to what I think is our biggest problem-we don't have a four. Q is being forced into that role. And as I've said before, that is unacceptable considering ray harped on the fact that a four was the most important position in his system.

engie
01-27-2016, 10:49 AM
The thing is though is I think IJ has a role on the team next year as our back up PG. I have no doubt that Peters is better, but IJ is clearly better at handling the ball and bringing it up the court than Malik is right now. If Wright or Carter can do it better than IJ then that's great, but I don't know that at the moment.

How do we know Weatherspoon can't do this? We don't -- because he's stuck playing the 4. Even though he was also expected to be a combo guard coming out. So, he's as good as he is right now --- and he's playing the most out of position of anyone on our team.

mic
01-27-2016, 10:53 AM

Chicken drives and scores because he can't score from 20 feet out and beyond...
Anyone else that could score??? I haven't looked up our stats but offense isn't our problem.. We score..

chef dixon
01-27-2016, 10:57 AM
How do we know Weatherspoon can't do this? We don't -- because he's stuck playing the 4. Even though he was also expected to be a combo guard coming out. So, he's as good as he is right now --- and he's playing the most out of position of anyone on our team.

You're right, we don't. But he didn't play point in high school either so RIGHT now I'd have to give IJ at least a chance. Velma Jackson had a really good true PG on his team. Howland can figure this out in the offseason.

mic
01-27-2016, 10:58 AM

So what's your point??.
IJ wasn't guarding Carrera and he has 35 ...

IJ is going to be smaller than the opposing Gurad 9/10 times..

engie
01-27-2016, 11:26 AM
You're right, we don't. But he didn't play point in high school either so RIGHT now I'd have to give IJ at least a chance. Velma Jackson had a really good true PG on his team. Howland can figure this out in the offseason.

I just want to wash my hands of the losing mentality that permeates this team. Great shooter -- till the game is on the line. Great free throw guy -- until the 4th quarter. Never guards or plays defense. I simply don't want him back. Even if he actually is better than people give him credit for which he very well may be and even if he would make next year's team slightly better.

I just want a clean break and a fresh start and to baptize the youngsters by fire. And as I've said a bunch of times before, I think Ready/Newman is either/or for next year. I don't want back any non-freshmen that aren't elite or have shown flashes of really being above average at something. I'd bring back 4 guys -- Malik, Q, Holman, Stapleton. Grab the existing 6 in the class plus the best available high school power forward and a best available transer and roll with 12 schollies for next year.

tcdog70
01-27-2016, 12:17 PM
I just want to wash my hands of the losing mentality that permeates this team. Great shooter -- till the game is on the line. Great free throw guy -- until the 4th quarter. Never guards or plays defense. I simply don't want him back. Even if he actually is better than people give him credit for which he very well may be and even if he would make next year's team slightly better.

I just want a clean break and a fresh start and to baptize the youngsters by fire. And as I've said a bunch of times before, I think Ready/Newman is either/or for next year. I don't want back any non-freshmen that aren't elite or have shown flashes of really being above average at something. I'd bring back 4 guys -- Malik, Q, Holman, Stapleton. Grab the existing 6 in the class plus the best available high school power forward and a best available transer and roll with 12 schollies for next year.

ok, well said. IJ might look good in the stats, but we can't win with Him. he is not a leader and he choke when the game is on the Line. He still goes the wrong way on a Pick. he still can't make an entry pass. And yes IJ is going to be smaller 9/10 times--my point exactly-thanks. if you noticed last night they let IJ bring the ball up the court but then he passed to Q or Chicken because his man was smothering Him. Even dickhead John saunders pointed that out.

CadaverDawg
01-27-2016, 12:51 PM
I'm not saying IJ is terrible, and I am not saying he is our only issue or even our MAIN issue.....but to act like he's a great player or even a really good player is having blinders on. Good point guards don't take bad shots with the game on the line when better shooters are open....they also don't crash blindly down the lane with circus shots when they are veterans. And they sure as shit don't have shitty attitudes and commit dumb fouls when they blow a layup to make a play worse.

Ready is a decent player, he just makes a dumb play for every few good plays...and his dumbest plays seem to always come at the most crucial moments. I don't dislike IJ, I just don't agree that he is more valuable than Ware.

Could you imagine if Zuppardo or Daniels were our only experienced big men? We probably have 2 wins on the year without Ware....but I'm not sure how many, if any, wins IJ would have cost us. That's all I'm saying.

Bottom line, I'm like engie in that I'm ready for the attitudes and losing mentality to exit stage left, and IJ just happens to be one of the only remaining guys in that category after this year. Not saying I'm right, or that anybody else has to agree. That's just my feelings on the subject. IJ comes across as a guy that is all about IJ....maybe he's not though.

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 02:27 PM
I hope we keep him as insurance that Peters isn't ready from the start. I mean just look at Malik. I agree about him not really being a guy that moves the needle but I can't agree with him messing up in the clutch. Even last season he hit the game winner vs. Vandy and big shots at Auburn

engie
01-27-2016, 02:55 PM
I hope we keep him as insurance that Peters isn't ready from the start. I mean just look at Malik. I agree about him not really being a guy that moves the needle but I can't agree with him messing up in the clutch. Even last season he hit the game winner vs. Vandy and big shots at Auburn

He's missed free throws that potentially cost us 2 games this year. As an extremely high percentage guy. If you can't agree he's been anti-clutch all year -- I just don't think we can take the discussion any farther. What he did in the past under a different regime doesn't really matter. Malik can play the point. His issue is in his dribbling confidence right now, and how it's impossible to consistently get on the same page basketball IQ-wise with anyone in our lineup other than Weatherspoon. An offseason can fix that. Go back and watch the possessions when those two were dishing back and forth. Malik looked like an entirely different player.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 03:02 PM
He's missed free throws that potentially cost us 2 games this year. As an extremely high percentage guy. If you can't agree he's been anti-clutch all year -- I just don't think we can take the discussion any farther. What he did in the past under a different regime doesn't really matter. Malik can play the point. His issue is in his dribbling confidence right now, and how it's impossible to consistently get on the same page basketball IQ-wise with anyone in our lineup other than Weatherspoon. An offseason can fix that. Go back and watch the possessions when those two were dishing back and forth. Malik looked like an entirely different player.

You're right & I agree with what you said but Malik cost us 2 games as well with his FT shooting in the clutch. Sword has turned the ball over in the clutch with the game on the line as well with a chance to win. All of them have lacked that clutch moment this year. That's why we've lost all these close games this year.

Commercecomet24
01-27-2016, 03:02 PM

Ready is the anti-clutch player we have, he's a defensive liability(he constantly watches as his man drives by him without any attempt to slow him down, stop his dribble, anything) and if he sticks around for next year hopefully his minutes will be drastically reduced. He does shoot free throws well thought(accept at the end of a game!)

DAWGSUP
01-27-2016, 03:33 PM
I think you're talking about Malik missing free throws vs. Southern and TAMU. It was even in his Beyond the Game series about what happened on those shots.

engie
01-27-2016, 03:38 PM
You're right & I agree with what you said but Malik cost us 2 games as well with his FT shooting in the clutch. Sword has turned the ball over in the clutch with the game on the line as well with a chance to win. All of them have lacked that clutch moment this year. That's why we've lost all these close games this year.

It's acceptable for freshmen to have freshman problems and make freshman mistakes. That's the difference between my perception of Malik's early struggles vs IJ's. He and Weatherspoon haven't been perfect by any stretch -- but putting them on the floor with the other pieces we have simply highlights the mental game deficiencies in the other guys. As if losing at an 80% clip when the game is within 10 points wasn't explanation enough...

Ifyouonlyknew
01-27-2016, 04:17 PM
It's acceptable for freshmen to have freshman problems and make freshman mistakes. That's the difference between my perception of Malik's early struggles vs IJ's. He and Weatherspoon haven't been perfect by any stretch -- but putting them on the floor with the other pieces we have simply highlights the mental game deficiencies in the other guys. As if losing at an 80% clip when the game is within 10 points wasn't explanation enough...

True but Malik wasn't supposed to be just any Freshman. He was THE Freshman. The freshman logic would be more acceptable if the expectations weren't so high coming into the year.

engie
01-27-2016, 04:21 PM
True but Malik wasn't supposed to be just any Freshman. He was THE Freshman. The freshman logic would be more acceptable if the expectations weren't so high coming into the year.
I can't speak for everyone -- but I never expected him to be without growing pains. Even before the injury and setbacks. He's been the guy I expected for the last week or two though.

MarketingBully
01-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Let's just call a spade a spade. The main reason why we suck this year is our depth sucks big time asses. Daniels, Thomas, and Zuppado by and large give us absolutely nothing when they come in. Heck, Holman who scored 3 last night outscored Zuppado, Daniels, and Thomas combined. I thought Ready played a good game last night. As I have stated a few time on here before, if he can be a pass first shoot last type of point guard, we could use him next year. We won't need him to be the man next year. If he can just pass first and like last night maybe take 4-6 shots a game to get close to 10 points we could use him.

Dawg61
01-27-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm not saying IJ is terrible, and I am not saying he is our only issue or even our MAIN issue.....but to act like he's a great player or even a really good player is having blinders on. Good point guards don't take bad shots with the game on the line when better shooters are open....they also don't crash blindly down the lane with circus shots when they are veterans. And they sure as shit don't have shitty attitudes and commit dumb fouls when they blow a layup to make a play worse.

Ready is a decent player, he just makes a dumb play for every few good plays...and his dumbest plays seem to always come at the most crucial moments. I don't dislike IJ, I just don't agree that he is more valuable than Ware.

Could you imagine if Zuppardo or Daniels were our only experienced big men? We probably have 2 wins on the year without Ware....but I'm not sure how many, if any, wins IJ would have cost us. That's all I'm saying.

Bottom line, I'm like engie in that I'm ready for the attitudes and losing mentality to exit stage left, and IJ just happens to be one of the only remaining guys in that category after this year. Not saying I'm right, or that anybody else has to agree. That's just my feelings on the subject. IJ comes across as a guy that is all about IJ....maybe he's not though.

You don't hate IJ you just hate little people.

Dawg61
01-27-2016, 04:58 PM
IJ is a better PG than Newman. Try blindfolding them both and have them dribble up and down the court with just their left hand. Newman wouldn't make it to half-court before losing the ball. Newman has an NBA ready 3-point shot. That's it. Hell of a lot more to being a great PG than just being able to hit stand still 3 pointers. Every guard in the NBA D-League can hit stand still jumpers which is exactly where Newman will end up if he doesn't put aside the time to become an elite ballhandler AND learn a whole lot more about basketball. Right now Newman thinks he knows Japanese without being able to say one word.