PDA

View Full Version : Signing Day Expectations

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 10:08 PM
Was sitting around tonight contemplating what I would and would not accept on signing day and what my expectations are.

The first thing I decided was that I couldn't pen one player on the staff. I.e. If AJ Brown wants to leave Starkville and nothing could be done, I'll be upset, but not blame the coaches for missing on him.

Here what I decided:

- top 20 class: this means we would've landed most of our top guys and moved the program closer to winning big. I'll be happy and congratulate the coaches for a job well done.

- 21-29 ranked class: Meh.. This means we landed some and missed on more than we hoped. Program is stagnant. Missed opportunity but we can survive. Doubts about this staff will begin to enter my mind. Better win Egg Bowl

- 30+ ranked class: I'm calling for heads and Mullen is squarely on the hot seat to me. Would take absolute incompetence to not land a top 30 class, and likely a top 25 class, after the last two seasons we've had, stadium upgrades, and facility upgrades. I would accept that Dan Mullen just isn't capable of recruiting at the level necessary to take this program to the next level.

What will you accept and not accept with this program?

missouridawg
01-26-2016, 10:11 PM
On the hot seat because of a crootin class rank? Get the **** over yourself.

How was that Preston Smith, Benardrick McKinney class ranked?

Jesus Christ that was some ignorant drivel.

Spiderman
01-26-2016, 10:12 PM
Was sitting around tonight contemplating what I would and would not accept on signing day and what my expectations are.

The first thing I decided was that I couldn't pen one player on the staff. I.e. If AJ Brown wants to leave Starkville and nothing could be done, I'll be upset, but not blame the coaches for missing on him.

Here what I decided:

- top 20 class: this means we would've landed most of our top guys and moved the program closer to winning big. I'll be happy and congratulate the coaches for a job well done.

- 21-29 ranked class: Meh.. This means we landed some and missed on more than we hoped. Program is stagnant. Missed opportunity but we can survive. Doubts about this staff will begin to enter my mind. Better win Egg Bowl

- 30+ ranked class: I'm calling for heads and Mullen is squarely on the hot seat to me. Would take absolute incompetence to not land a top 30 class, and likely a top 25 class, after the last two seasons we've had, stadium upgrades, and facility upgrades. I would accept that Dan Mullen just isn't capable of recruiting at the level necessary to take this program to the next level.

Not sure what I would "accept", but agree that if we don't close strong after the last 2 years, our recruiting model.. philosophy .. etc.... must change

msstate7
01-26-2016, 10:15 PM
My prediction...

http://s10.postimg.org/kj5uws1mx/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

And I think we kick it off early with farrar visiting Oklahoma this weekend.

Todd4State
01-26-2016, 10:25 PM
I expect to get all five of the GTA area guys. I don't know that I will meltdown- I certainly might but I probably won't.

But keeping the local guys should be the expectation.

TUSK
01-26-2016, 10:26 PM
I may or may not agree with your groupings' parameters, but if everyone doesn't have a similar "list" in their heads, they are either ignorant or ambivalent...

Todd4State
01-26-2016, 10:27 PM

I don't think anyone would be paying attention to recruiting rankings if our o-line recruiting was better. We've hit more often than not at the other positions except for maybe safety- but I'm not worried about that position with Peters, McLaurin, and Bryant.

Hevesy better step it up. At some point our fans are going to have enough of underachieving if he doesn't.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 10:34 PM

I get your point, but, while developing under the radar talent certainly helps us and helped build the program, we aren't winning anything substantial without consistently recruiting in the top 20.

If you can't compete for and acquire top talent, you can't win big or go to Alanta. Mullen has done a wonderful job at MSU, but we also pay him 4+ mil a year to do that job and, if the program isn't moving forward, it's going backwards.

The next step for this program is to recruit better and, if you can't do that after the last two seasons we've had, then you can't take MSU to the next level.

Bdawg
01-26-2016, 10:36 PM
Well I don't know how the rankings will shake out, but I will be really disappointed if we can't clean up our on backyard and lose some top notch recruits right out from under our nose. Now I know coaches can't make a kid go somewhere he doesn't want to be. But with our recent success and rise to number 1, we should be able to sell our school and program to these guys and get them on board. Hopefully that's what happens, especially when you figure these local guys grew up being state fans.

GreenheadDawg
01-26-2016, 10:52 PM
I get your point, but, while developing under the radar talent certainly helps us and helped build the program, we aren't winning anything substantial without consistently recruiting in the top 20.

If you can't compete for and acquire top talent, you can't win big or go to Alanta. Mullen has done a wonderful job at MSU, but we also pay him 4+ mil a year to do that job and, if the program isn't moving forward, it's going backwards.

The next step for this program is to recruit better and, if you can't do that after the last two seasons we've had, then you can't take MSU to the next level.

I think this is well said. Good post

Bass Chaser
01-26-2016, 10:59 PM
Truth of the matter is that if you're 4-year recruiting average rank is not 14 or better you're not competing for championships.

Okrastar1
01-26-2016, 11:01 PM
I really expect no matter what happens on this signing day that some people will still hate it. Can't please everyone here...

Johnson85
01-27-2016, 09:12 AM

Mullen has put together a championship caliber team everywhere but safety and O-line with pretty mediocre recruiting rankings. He will be making things much harder for himself if he doesn't take advantage of having big time players in his back yard, but if he lands a good OL class, I'm not going to meltdown because the rankings are consistent with what he's been doing.

Coursesuper
01-27-2016, 09:48 AM
I expect to get all five of the GTA area guys. I don't know that I will meltdown- I certainly might but I probably won't.

But keeping the local guys should be the expectation.

Then prepare to meltdown, because we are not going to get all five. We will be lucky to get three and could very well only land one. This is s cluster from the word go due the half assed lazy approach by a member of the staff. His initials are John Hevesy! He botched this badly and we have been playing catch up the whole time. Unacceptable!

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-27-2016, 09:54 AM
So you are not even going to wait for the games to be played before Mullen is on the hot seat? Sheesh

Liverpooldawg
01-27-2016, 09:56 AM

Here what I decided:

YOU would accept? Get over yourself.