PDA

View Full Version : JC Shurburtt

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 01:17 AM
At 11:20 tonight JC Shurbutt crystal balled AJ Brown to MSU

Seems rather odd that he'd do that unless he just received legit info

Commercecomet24
01-26-2016, 01:21 AM
I could be totally wrong but I just got a feeling Dan is playing the game this year and we gonna go big on NSD! Maybe steal a little thunder from our friends up north!

cheewgumm
01-26-2016, 01:30 AM
Maybe he is up drinking some of grandad's cough syrup and decided ton pull the trigger.

smootness
01-26-2016, 01:36 AM
I theorized in an earlier thread that it's possible that Mullen decided to go the other way this year and wants to have most of our biggest signees announce at the very end to steal some thunder.

I wouldn't say it's extremely likely, but it's possible. Would also help explain weird things like Lashley and Davis backing out of commitments right after they went public.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2016, 01:44 AM
I theorized in an earlier thread that it's possible that Mullen decided to go the other way this year and wants to have most of our biggest signees announce at the very end to steal some thunder.

I wouldn't say it's extremely likely, but it's possible. Would also help explain weird things like Lashley and Davis backing out of commitments right after they went public.

I agree. There's been some clues dropped along the way. The Lashley-Davis commits and then backup as you mentioned, the fact some of these big boys been mentioned to us for quite awhile, the fact our coaches aren't scrambling and seem confident in the class, etc.. Just feels like something brewing. I think Dan tired of UNM getting all the props on recruiting and is gonna pull some rabbits out of his hat on NSD. Would be awesome and hope that's what's gonna happen!

BeardoMSU
01-26-2016, 01:48 AM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s04gGYZKNIMt

ScottH
01-26-2016, 02:26 AM
I could be totally wrong but I just got a feeling Dan is playing the game this year and we gonna go big on NSD!

Glad you posted that. It hit me this weekend.

We are languishing at 45 or so in the rankings. The only hecticness I have seen is in OL recruiting. Something he admitted after Bama we needed to get better. Apparently he slaps his buddy in the ass and says get to it.

Absolutely zero frenzy to get other players in this week. Zero. Yet we stand at 14 commits.

With his ego I just don't see him allowing a recruiting ass rape. Also the guy knows football and he saw the end of season talent gap.

Plus if he wants out 13th in the SEC recruiting isn't going to make it happen when it didn't happen with last 2 years results and what seemed like half the D1 jobs open.

All that being said one of two things is going to happen.
1. We are only going to get a couple of the big names we want, pick up a few crumbs after next Wednesday and finish in a disappointing 40th place nationally all the while wondering why in the blue hell we didn't see a bunch of new names the last two weekends.
or
2. The gloves really are off but we are paying rope-a-dope and switching to southpaw Wednesday. As a result we are going to get as many stars in the last week as we already have in total and roll up a #25 class.

On second thought better bet on #1 cause I always think we don't show everything offensively in the first game also.

civildawg
01-26-2016, 07:07 AM
That is not what the Msu side is thinking, just an FYI on brown. They believe he's gone to bama. Don't shoot the messenger

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-26-2016, 07:38 AM
That is not what the Msu side is thinking, just an FYI on brown. They believe he's gone to bama. Don't shoot the messenger

I won't shoot the messenger but you are 100000% wrong.

msstate7
01-26-2016, 07:39 AM
I won't shoot the messenger but you are 100000% wrong.

Simmons... Yea or nay?

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-26-2016, 07:40 AM
All I will say is that our coaches are feeling very confident on every kid left on the board. Very confident

coastratdog
01-26-2016, 07:46 AM
All I will say is that our coaches are feeling very confident on every kid left on the board. Very confident

Georgia coaches were feeling very confident about Tunsil until signing day. Committed or not it ain't over until the dotted line is signed and faxed.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Georgia coaches were feeling very confident about Tunsil until signing day. Committed or not it ain't over until the dotted line is signed and faxed.

Didn't say it was over. I am just saying that the coaches aren't waving the white flag on anyone and it's not true they think AJ is Bama bound

coastratdog
01-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Don't care about either team so who should I go for. Panthers got Love but also Scam and Oher. Don't care to give either one any cred. Broncos got a Manning and the thought of UNM getting cred for (because you know they'll take it) the name makes my stomach turn.

FYI, after watching both games this past weekend I think the Panthers are going to blow the Broncos away.

OK someone help me out. This should have been a new thread. Anyone who can move this to a new thread can have 50 vcash from me.

Thick
01-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Panthers

Dawgtini
01-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Don't care about either team so who should I go for. Panthers got Love but also Scam and Oher. Don't care to give either one any cred. Broncos got a Manning and the thought of UNM getting cred for (because you know they'll take it) the name makes my stomach turn.

FYI, after watching both games this past weekend I think the Panthers are going to blow the Broncos away.

OK someone help me out. This should have been a new thread. Anyone who can move this to a new thread can have 50 vcash from me.

Wrong thread but Denver has Dillon Day. I hope Kyle has an MVP worthy game and the Broncos humble the Panthers.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 08:09 AM
The interesting thing about a national recruiting guy like JC is that he probably doesn't know Brown better than The MSU guys, but he does know Bama. So my guess is that his crystal ball may have come from Bama's point of view and JC may be saying "Bama doesn't expect him". Which only leaves us

louisvilledawg
01-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Simmons... Yea or nay?

Nay x's infinity

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 09:48 AM
3 days ago, all the important people on this site have said, "Simmons to MSU"

Doubt anything has changed.

Coach34
01-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Leo Lewis 2016

chef dixon
01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
A lot more random posters than usual seem to have "sources" this year

klong-dog
01-26-2016, 09:54 AM
In PJ Tues biscuits, stated that AJ said "MSU was making a real hard push for him down the stretch" that makes me think we're doing all we can, but we've been trailing and trying to make up ground.

Dawgtini
01-26-2016, 10:01 AM
In PJ Tues biscuits, stated that AJ said "MSU was making a real hard push for him down the stretch" that makes me think we're doing all we can, but we've been trailing and trying to make up ground.

I don't think we have ever been "trailing". I think he just has to decide if he wants to stay home for college or not.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-26-2016, 10:03 AM
AJ is just toying with folks. He obviously was not pleased awhile back with everyone automatically assuming he was State bound.....even though he is.

RealHastings
01-26-2016, 10:05 AM
We don't talk about Crootin

C34

coastratdog
01-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Wouldn't you want to announce big time recruits ASAP to show other recruits how good your class is going to be and see if they can make some traction with others?

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 10:06 AM

This hole thing is beginning to feel like a staged/ prepared / premeditated soap opera that's been played out over the past year and ends with AJ, Simmons, Lashley, Davis, and Kobe miraculously all choosing MSU.

I think Knott and Brown are separate from this and are doing their own thing in recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Wouldn't you want to announce big time recruits ASAP to show other recruits how good your class is going to be and see if they can make some traction with others?

You have no clue what's being said between the recruits or what the coaches are telling other recruits.

engie
01-26-2016, 10:13 AM

They commit early -- "Mullenz can't close!11! Lost signing day!1@"

They commit late -- "Mullenz can't recruit -- it's a week left and they aren't in the boat yet!11!1"

I don't see how the defeatists simply can't wait a week until the game is over in order to be defeated.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2016, 10:18 AM

They commit late -- "Mullenz can't recruit -- it's a week left and they aren't in the boat yet!11!1"

I don't see how the defeatists simply can't wait a week until the game is over in order to be defeated.

Yep this is always the narrative! I think people feel this way because they don't have much success in life and so they always feel like theyre going to lose at everything. Me personally I always feel like I'm gonna come out just fine.

RezDawg
01-26-2016, 10:28 AM
only has one step left to take and that's to win the SEC championship. That's going to require Saban to retire and/or Mullen to recruit at an elite level. One of those we can control, to an extent. That's where the frustration lies.

Johnson85
01-26-2016, 10:35 AM
We don't talk about Crootin

C34

Coach34
01-26-2016, 10:38 AM
You have no clue what's being said between the recruits or what the coaches are telling other recruits.

This all day

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Wow, Rosebowl throwing big time shade on AJ Brown on Bo Bounds this morning. Saying he's 80-85% going to Bama.

Paul and Rosebowl couldn't be further apart on this.

I can't tell if Rosebowl doesn't know what he's talking about, has been told to downplay MSU by our coaches so that we have a huge close, or if if he's telling the truth. He's awfully pessimistic and Paul is awfully optimistic.

Johnson85
01-26-2016, 10:41 AM

Yes, but if most of your high profile recruits want to enjoy their recruitment, having almost all of them commit towards the end is probably the next best thing. I'm not actually buying that we are telling any high profile recruit to hold off on publicizing their commitment, but it's not crazy.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-26-2016, 10:48 AM
Isn't it interesting how so many MSU fans & supporters are hearing AJ to Bama & we have no shot but nobody from Bama side feel good about getting AJ. They think they are in the game with him & have a shot but none of the Bama guys think it's the done deal that a lot of our MSU fans are hearing from their "sources". Just an observation.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Isn't it interesting how so many MSU fans & supporters are hearing AJ to Bama & we have no shot but nobody from Bama side feel good about getting AJ. They think they are in the game with him & have a shot but none of the Bama guys think it's the done deal that a lot of our MSU fans are hearing from their "sources". Just an observation.

Agree. Just surprised that Rosebowl is so on the AJ Bama wagon. He was extremely pessimistic.

Coach34
01-26-2016, 10:55 AM
It's simple:

AJ is either going to Bama or he is building up a ton of excitement for Signing Day. It's one or the other

Shit next Wed can't get here quick enough

GreenheadDawg
01-26-2016, 10:57 AM
It's simple:

AJ is either going to Bama or he is building up a ton of excitement for Signing Day. It's one or the other

Shit next Wed can't get here quick enough

This all day. Recruiting has become such a cluster ****.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2016, 10:59 AM
It is extremely odd if AJ is going to Bama that their people are not confident at all. Bama has no reason to downplay any recruit so I'm sure if they felt good about him it would be out there. Guess we will know for sure next week.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 11:02 AM
It is extremely odd if AJ is going to Bama that their people are not confident at all. Bama has no reason to downplay any recruit so I'm sure if they felt good about him it would be out there. Guess we will know for sure next week.

Agree. Why don't the Bama people think they are getting him?

Jack Lambert
01-26-2016, 11:05 AM
If my ultimate goal was to get a NC ring I would go to Bama but if it was to get to the NFL I would go to State. I think you have a better chance of getting on the field. Another thing I would consider is family. I would want as many as my family members to be able to watch me play. Going to Bama would limit that.

Covercorner2
01-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Maybe, just maybe, AJ doesn't much care for Rosebowl, and that is the reason for the animosity. AJ frequently tweets "don't call me reporters!," etc. He also probably doesn't want Rosebowl stealing his thunder. It seems as if Paul is the only reporter that can get in touch with AJ or get a good read on AJ. I don't think this is coincidence....

Let it play out and trust the sources you choose.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Maybe, just maybe, AJ doesn't much care for Rosebowl, and that is the reason for the animosity. AJ frequently tweets "don't call me reporters!," etc. He also probably doesn't want Rosebowl stealing his thunder. It seems as if Paul is the only reporter that can get in touch with AJ or get a good read on AJ. I don't think this in coincidence....

Let it play out and trust the sources you choose.

Exactly! Steve does a pretty good job but he sure can annoy some recruits from time to time and he has been known to steal a kids thunder every now and then! Not only do I trust Paul's opinion more but I just don't feel like Bama has any confidence they get him at all. My brother is Alabama Alum and booster and he doesnt think that they get AJ. Now he's not a "cigar boy" or anything but just from some of the people he knows he doesnt think AJ is going to Bama. Like you said let it play out and believe we are going to be happy next week.

Sacrifice
01-26-2016, 11:33 AM
I don't know what it is but each day that goes by I'm feeling more confident about getting AJ. No inside info just a gut feeling. I feel like if he was Bama bound, it'd be over already.

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 11:38 AM
I don't know what it is but each day that goes by I'm feeling more confident about getting AJ. No inside info just a gut feeling. I feel like if he was Bama bound, it'd be over already.

I've thought that as well, but then I counter that by saying,"if I were in the same position", I'd probably keep it quiet so I didn't face local blow back.

Sacrifice
01-26-2016, 11:41 AM
I've thought that as well, but then I counter that by saying,"if I were in the same position", I'd probably keep it quiet so I didn't face local blow back.
You could be right or he could say F-it, I'm going to Bama, it's over. Leave me alone

Raytoraid83
01-26-2016, 11:42 AM
I think there's a pretty good reason AJs family tells whoever will listen "AJ is going to bama" and then the next day "AJ is going to ole miss" but they never say "AJ is going to miss st". Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I feel it's a good sign

RezDawg
01-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Now, I could also understand making an early commitment to a place you were pretty sure you would not end up...in order to collect some "beautiful campuses".

defiantdog
01-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Yall are funny.... AJ is enjoying the process of being recruited.

Commercecomet24
01-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Yall are funny.... AJ is enjoying the process of being recruited.

Nail on head!!!

HSVDawg
01-26-2016, 12:55 PM

I think part of the anxiety right now with many fans is that its a numbers / probability game. Everyone is in universal agreement that we pretty much have to land 4 out of the big 5 (Brown, Simmons, Lashley, Jones, Knott) for this to be considered even an above average class, and must land all 5 for it to be a truly top 15 or top 20 class. 2 of these guys are virtual locks, one is considered by most in the know to be ours to lose (Brown) but is by no means a sure thing, and the other two are 50/50 at best.

So with that being said, lets just arbitrarily propose a best-case scenario with the odds of us getting each player as follows:
Lashley - 95%
Jones - 95%
Brown - 80%
Simmons - 80%
Knott - 80%

I don't think anyone would argue that the odds for any of those guys could be considered any better than listed above. Now, using principles of statistics (bear with me), odds of us getting all 5 players is only 46% and odds of us getting 4 of 5 is only 57%. And realistically, the individual odds for at least 3 of those 5 guys aren't as good as listed above. And before anyone even says anything, I realize this is a very arbitrary and simplistic way to look at a very complex situation. But, thats a whole lot of uncertainty surrounding the guys that are pretty much the foundation of our class. The stress and pessimism is based on how much needs to go right for us on signing day, not about any one particular player.

BayouDawg
01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
I think part of the anxiety right now with many fans is that its a numbers / probability game. Everyone is in universal agreement that we pretty much have to land 4 out of the big 5 (Brown, Simmons, Lashley, Jones, Knott) for this to be considered even an above average class, and must land all 5 for it to be a truly top 15 or top 20 class. 2 of these guys are virtual locks, one is considered by most in the know to be ours to lose (Brown) but is by no means a sure thing, and the other two are 50/50 at best.

So with that being said, lets just arbitrarily propose a best-case scenario with the odds of us getting each player as follows:
Lashley - 95%
Jones - 95%
Brown - 80%
Simmons - 80%
Knott - 80%

I don't think anyone would argue that the odds for any of those guys could be considered any better than listed above. Now, using principles of statistics (bear with me), odds of us getting all 5 players is only 46% and odds of us getting 4 of 5 is only 57%. And realistically, the individual odds for at least 3 of those 5 guys aren't as good as listed above. And before anyone even says anything, I realize this is a very arbitrary and simplistic way to look at a very complex situation. But, thats a whole lot of uncertainty surrounding the guys that are pretty much the foundation of our class. The stress and pessimism is based on how much needs to go right for us on signing day, not about any one particular player.

Well said. It may be arbitrary but I always like putting numbers to things.

PendingTransaction
01-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Bama does not need AJ nor do they need his commitment to give momentum to their class. They will have the number 1 class if AJ fell off the face of the earth. We will end up with a middle of the pack SEC class at best. I think it is in our best interest to have big name recruits who are truly committed to make that known early as possible. Perhaps it would build some momentum and lure some undecided big names. I hate to admit it, but UM isn't hiding their 4&5 star recruits. It seems to be working fine. They add a new one every other damn day.

Dawg Corps
01-26-2016, 01:08 PM
How dare anyone bring logic and probability into recruiting? Take your science elsewhere, sir.**

pilldawg
01-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Well said. It may be arbitrary but I always like putting numbers to things.

Have given our coaches their decisions regardless if they are public or not.

HSVDawg
01-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Have given our coaches their decisions regardless if they are public or not.

Oh I'm certain at least some of them have. But a lot can change in the week before signing day in either direction for any particular kid. Maybe Brown told us he's coming, but Bama puts on the press and ends up landing him. Maybe Simmons told Freeze he's coming, but Mama wins out and he ends up signing with MSU. Literally anything can still happen.

Reason2succeed
01-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Mullen doesn't like commits to visit other places. He has publicly stated this position. The fact that our guys aren't committed simply means that they are enjoying the party that other schools are willing to throw them. We complain about star ratings but let's be honest guys pick up stars every they step on Bama's campus. It doesn't make them run faster or catch better. It just makes some fans feel better.

P.S. There are a lot of trolls on this thread. Just read the previous posts.

EliteDawgEnforcer
01-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Mullen doesn't like commits to visit other places. He has publicly stated this position. The fact that our guys aren't committed simply means that they are enjoying the party that other schools are willing to throw them. We complain about star ratings but let's be honest guys pick up stars every they step on Bama's campus. It doesn't make them run faster or catch better. It just makes some fans feel better.

P.S. There are a lot of trolls on this thread. Just read the previous posts.

Feel free to send me names...

ShotgunDawg
01-26-2016, 05:21 PM

I do as well

I don't think Rosebowl is misleading anyone or doing this for personal gain.

However, I do believe that AJ is purposefully giving out different information to different folks in order to maintain his ability make a splash on signing day. Rosebowls tea leaves may read Bama because that's what AJ wants people to think.

This we know:
- AJ doesn't speak to any reporters except apparently Paul. Why?

- Paul and Robbie both believe AJ will be a bulldog. Why?

- Paul and Robbie both should have more in depth sources than Rosebowl, due to them being in the Starkville community far longer and Robbie having covered Starkville HS sports and having known AJ for some time now.

- AJ plans to visit MSU Wed and Thurs this week. Not one day, but 2 days. Why do that if you don't plan on going to MSU? He's from Starkville, so it isn't a trip. There won't be other recruits, so it won't be a party, and he likely already goes out with some of our players now. Again, what's in it for AJ to take the trip? We need to watch if he shows up.

If AJ shows up on his visit to MSU, then I feel really good about things.

Dawg496
01-26-2016, 05:39 PM
I'm interested in seeing what time the announcements are set up for. If this is orchestrated they'll probably be staggered to generate the most hype.

Johnson85
01-26-2016, 06:15 PM
I do as well

I don't think Rosebowl is misleading anyone or doing this for personal gain.

However, I do believe that AJ is purposefully giving out different information to different folks in order to maintain his ability make a splash on signing day. Rosebowls tea leaves may read Bama because that's what AJ wants people to think.

This we know:
- AJ doesn't speak to any reporters except apparently Paul. Why?

- Paul and Robbie both believe AJ will be a bulldog. Why?

- Paul and Robbie both should have more in depth sources than Rosebowl, due to them being in the Starkville community far longer and Robbie having covered Starkville HS sports and having known AJ for some time now.

- AJ plans to visit MSU Wed and Thurs this week. Not one day, but 2 days. Why do that if you don't plan on going to MSU? He's from Starkville, so it isn't a trip. There won't be other recruits, so it won't be a party, and he likely already goes out with some of our players now. Again, what's in it for AJ to take the trip? We need to watch if he shows up.

If AJ shows up on his visit to MSU, then I feel really good about things.

I don't think there's anything you can take from whether AJ visits or not. As people have pointed out, a visit to MSU is pretty unnecessary at this point. The only possibilities I can think of are (1) he's actually on the fence and wants to hear an official pitch, (2) he knows where he's going but an official visit gives him an excuse to skip a day or two of classes, (3) he knows he's going to Bama and wants to give every courtesy to MSU to limit any blowback.

If he doesn't show up, it just means he knows where he's going and I don't think it tells you anything about where that is.