PDA

View Full Version : Chimay is coming to MS

FlabLoser
04-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Hops & Habannas in Madison will have Chimay this month.

If you don't know Chimay and you like dark beers at all you need to try this. One of the world's best beers IMO.

http://www.thebeerinme.com/e107_files/public/1231717211_2_FT502_chimay-blue.jpg

Pour a glass and let is sit a few or several minutes. The flavor really jumps out when the beer is sorta cold, but not ice cold.

That's probably true of all beers except American yellow fizzies. Anheiser-Busch-Coors has Americans thinking ice cold is where its at because 1) their shitty beer has no flavor at any temperature, and 2) when you can't sell flavor you sell "ice cold".

fishwater99
04-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Schlafy is also coming to MS. They make some good craft beers.

New Belgium has made it to LA, just across the River on I-20... Delta Wine and Spirits..

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/164214_528620090514737_318743339_n.jpg

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Chimay may be the best beer on the planet. Certainly top 5. Glad yall are getting to finally enjoy some decent beer.

FISHDAWG
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Southern Pecan is somewhat in between for those that don't want to go heavy dark and it is heavier than a pilsner .. worth trying especially since it's brewed in Kiln, Ms. ( I think it's part of Lazy Magnolia ) ... I'm intrigued about this Chimay because dark beers are a mood thing with me ... especially when I am dining on pizza ... I haven't seen it yet in Ga. - will be on the watch for it

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Although it looks dark, it doesnt taste dark at all. It is lighter than a southern pecan imo

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Although it looks dark, it doesnt taste dark at all. It is lighter than a southern pecan imo

FISHDAWG
04-05-2013, 12:04 PM
now I'm really intrigued

CadaverDawg
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM

I'm a big fan of Southern Pecan. I will have to try out the Chimay. I have Dead Guy Laughing Skull, and TimberBeast on the agenda for tonight's beisbol game.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Hops & Habannas in Madison will have Chimay this month.

Pour a glass and let is sit a few or several minutes. The flavor really jumps out when the beer is sorta cold, but not ice cold.

That's probably true of all beers except American yellow fizzies. Anheiser-Busch-Coors has Americans thinking ice cold is where its at because 1) their shitty beer has no flavor at any temperature, and 2) when you can't sell flavor you sell "ice cold".

Very much the truth. Beer is like wine in that way, the flavor and aroma of good beers really does develop as the temperature comes to I'm guessing 50 degrees or such. Also depending on the beer, like wine, allowing more air in to aerate the beverage can produce a depth of flavors and aromas that are multi layered.
Yes the glassware you pour it into does really matter too... Call me a snob if you want but I enjoy beer as a beverage with lots of flavors not for its intoxicating results.

I've only been drinking beer for about 2 years (around the same time I had recently moved to Texas and was introduced to real craft beer) and my tasting profile has really expanded in the past year since I joined World of Beer. It really get a big jump tomorrow when I goto Big Texas Beer Fest.

I'm glad Mississippians are having a chance to try new beers finally....and making some good ones. Lazy Magnolia Timberbeast and Jefferson Stout are big hits in DFW. I've really come around on BIG IPA's in the last 6 months. 6 point RESIN is AMAZING and likely my favorite beer at this time.

ScoobaDawg
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM

It has a darkish copper color to it but it is far from a "dark beer" (which most people think of as stouts..)
It's creamy, fruity (not in a girly way), and a little pepper at the end. this is DEFINITELY on the beers you want to drink warmer (not room temp though) than colder. Allow the carbonation to come alive and carry the flavors and mouth-feel.

Trappist Beers are an animal all to themselves and cant really be compared to anything most people know.
I have access to almost all of the trappist beers (except westy 12) and plan to start buying and doing some tastings of them.

and another thing that has improved my beer "palette" is that on drive home from work every friday one of the best craft beer stores (Lonestar Beverages) in DFW does free tastings of 5 or more beers every week. This afternoon they are tasting Adelbert's Beer out of Austin who beer Belgian Style beers.

ckDOG
04-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Schlafy is also coming to MS. They make some good craft beers.

New Belgium has made it to LA, just across the River on I-20... Delta Wine and Spirits..

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/164214_528620090514737_318743339_n.jpg

Not the biggest new Belgium fan, but the imperial coffee chocolate stout is quite tasty. Pick it up if it has made its way down there.

Political Hack
04-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Chimay blue is great and I drink it from time to time, but for that price I'm going with any Stone brew, Dogfishhead 60 or 90 minute, Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy (if you like dark beer), or a Clown Shoes brew.

FlabLoser
04-10-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm definitely going to try some Dogfishhead if it ever shows up in MS. That in Yunglieng.

Chimay is from Belgium. Those Belgians know their shit apparently. I've found that Rocherfort 8 is not a bad substitute for Chimay whenever Chimay is not around.

I discovered another interesting beer from Belgium called Affligem Blond. Its like a dark pilsner. Its not dark by any means. Sort of on orangish color. It drinks like a heavier pilsner and its got barely a hint of that dark fruity flavor that Chimay has. It would be a good intro to Belgian beers.

FISHDAWG
04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
sounds like a wheat beer

FlabLoser
04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Definitely not a wheat. Officially, its a Belgium Pale Ale - which is nothing like a India Pale Ale (IPA).

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/196/620

biscuit
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Chimay is awesome. Kinda like drinking champagne textured beer...if that makes sense

FlabLoser
04-12-2013, 08:02 PM
The carbonation is a lot smoother than what you find in yellow American fizzy.

PS - if you tailgate with C34, he makes you drink Natty Light.