PDA

View Full Version : Monken reached the present-day ceiling for USM.....

Taog Redloh
01-24-2016, 08:30 PM
He knew it was over, or he wouldn't have gotten out when he did. USM ain't what it used to be. Can't get the players you used to get, and they are broke. Need to go FCS.

That said, if I were them I'd go hire Al Golden.

Jack Lambert
01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Their conference is crap and you can win that conference with bunch of 2 star guys. His problem is too many upper classman and that's his cause. Some say he had no choice to take all those transfers but I say they are wrong. Build the program right from the foundation. He put the roof on before he built the floor. They are going to take a step back either this year or the next and it isn't going to be pretty. He was coaching for better job. But they can win their conference in the future. Too many 2 Star guys out there not getting signed by SEC schools.

Taog Redloh
01-24-2016, 09:00 PM
A conference is crap because the teams are crap and they are one of the teams. They cannot identify diamonds in the rough anymore because #1, Mullen is recrootin them hard and #2, South Alabama is taking a bunch of the Mobile kids that Southern used to live on. ULL is proving a better option for the LA kids too. And, more FBS schools are recrootin MS.

Jack Lambert
01-24-2016, 09:09 PM
A conference is crap because the teams are crap and they are one of the teams. They cannot identify diamonds in the rough anymore because #1, Mullen is recrootin them hard and #2, South Alabama is taking a bunch of the Mobile kids that Southern used to live on. ULL is proving a better option for the LA kids too. And, more FBS schools are recrootin MS.

There are a lot of 2 star guys out there.

Todd4State
01-25-2016, 12:53 AM
Their conference is crap and you can win that conference with bunch of 2 star guys. His problem is too many upper classman and that's his cause. Some say he had no choice to take all those transfers but I say they are wrong. Build the program right from the foundation. He put the roof on before he built the floor. They are going to take a step back either this year or the next and it isn't going to be pretty. He was coaching for better job. But they can win their conference in the future. Too many 2 Star guys out there not getting signed by SEC schools.

Actually with the Mississippi JUCO football system, they way he built them this year is probably the best way for USM to go IMO. It's certainly not ideal as we've all seen what can happen when you go too JUCO heavy.

It's obvious that he was using USM as a stepping stone- and I think he knew it would have taken several years to build USM "the right way".

Dawgface
01-25-2016, 07:04 AM
It was always a stepping stone for him as it is with most. He had a good year last year to build his resume and the NFL job is a way out while the getting is good. Good chance he will end up with another college HC job down the road.