PDA

View Full Version : NOA in Alabama

Dawgology
01-24-2016, 05:04 PM
Take it for what it's worth but I have a friend who seems to be connected with everyone locally involved in college football. She is also very involved in the legal system...deals with a lot of cases. Being vague to keep my source. Anyway, she has a lot of friends who work in various lawyers offices throughout Alabama and, in talking to one of them this weekend, this friend confirmed that the NOA for ole miss was in their firms possession right now. Again, friend of a friend so take it for what it's worth. It just seems that everything she tells me ends up being confirmed. Which bothers me about one recruit. But this NOA in Alabama rumor appears to be true in my opinion.

GreenheadDawg
01-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Excuse my ignorance but is the NOA being in Alabama good or bad?

woozman
01-24-2016, 05:58 PM
SEC office is in Birmingham.

Dawg496
01-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Excuse my ignorance but is the NOA being in Alabama good or bad?

The prevailing thought is that the school would do this to shield itself from FOIA requests. The legality of this mechanism is questionable but it could require a court ruling for them to be compelled to release it (I.e. months or years of preceedings).

However it may lend credibility to the thought that the contents of the letter are severe - or severe enough to warrant such protection. They don't need to delay it for years since they are required to respond within 90 days anyway. So they are trying to delay it for another reason - something that happens within the next 90 days presumably.

GreenheadDawg
01-24-2016, 06:04 PM
The prevailing thought is that the school would do this to shield itself from FOIA requests. The legality of this mechanism is questionable but it could require a court ruling for them to be compelled to release it (I.e. months or years of preceedings).

However it may lend credibility to the thought that the contents of the letter are severe - or severe enough to warrant such protection. They don't need to delay it for years since they are required to respond within 90 days anyway. So they are trying to delay it for another reason - something that happens within the next 90 days presumably.

Gotcha. I figured it was something about them trying to weasel out of it

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2016, 06:29 PM

With this evidence, I would think a recruit could sue them for purposefully deceiving them. This seems extremely shady

Got to wonder if OM would then threaten the kids eligibility by letting the NCAA know what illegal benefits he received.

Leroy Jenkins
01-24-2016, 06:37 PM
With this evidence, I would think a recruit could sue them for purposefully deceiving them. This seems extremely shady

Got to wonder if OM would then threaten the kids eligibility by letting the NCAA know what illegal benefits he received.

So tell on yourself to get a player ineligible? If that were the case he would only be ineligible at your school. You don't take down your whole institution for a recruit.

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2016, 06:39 PM
So tell on yourself to get a player ineligible? If that were the case he would only be ineligible at your school. You don't take down your whole institution for a recruit.

I'm just shocked that they are still able to recruit through all this

Really Clark?
01-24-2016, 06:40 PM

I don't think you can do that. They are a public university so, other than privacy concerns with the players mentioned which would be redacted, everything else has to be made available to the general public once they receive the NOA upon request. Sending it to an attorney can't block that. Out of state attorneys or otherwise. The university has received it. However, the 14 business day timeline for FOIA per the State of Mississippi does come into play. Also, the NOA of allegations are also sent to everyone named to have committed the violations. Saunders will also receive the NOA. Maybe Nutt, Freeze, Boone (don't really think so), for sure the basketball coaches, who knows who all could be named in conjunction with violations.

DancingRabbit
01-24-2016, 06:50 PM
I don't think you can do that. They are a public university so, other than privacy concerns with the players mentioned which would be redacted, everything else has to be made available to the general public once they receive the NOA upon request. Sending it to an attorney can't block that. Out of state attorneys or otherwise. The university has received it. However, the 14 business day timeline for FOIA per the State of Mississippi does come into play. Also, the NOA of allegations are also sent to everyone named to have committed the violations. Saunders will also receive the NOA. Maybe Nutt, Freeze, Boone (don't really think so), for sure the basketball coaches, who knows who all could be named in conjunction with violations.

This is not correct. The NOA is just sent to the President or Chancellor.

It is very common for NOA's to be kept quiet until the university's response is delivered. See ULL - kept under wraps until 90 days after receiving the NOA.

gtowndawg
01-24-2016, 06:54 PM

There's a military term for that: Mutually Assured Destruction

Really Clark?
01-24-2016, 06:55 PM
This is not correct. The NOA is just sent to the President or Chancellor.

It is very common for NOA's to be kept quiet until the university's response is delivered. See ULL - kept under wraps until 90 days after receiving the NOA.

That's incorrect. When we got our NOA, Mirando did as well. Same for ULL, Saunders received NOA at the same time. They also have to respond to NOA as well as the school. I should clarify that parties named that are also a part of the staff that commit violations have to respond. It wouldn't be outside boosters for example.

ETA. The letter of inquiry to place them on notice of an investigation and allow the enforcement staff to conduct interviews on campus is just sent to the president, chancellor and can be verbal or written and does not have to be disclosed.

msstate7
01-24-2016, 06:57 PM

And they'd be admiting they knew about, thus assuring a show cause

msstate7
01-24-2016, 07:00 PM
I have no idea what to expect from all this, but is it too much to ask for freeze and bjork to get canned? I would really love to see an interview of freeze crying

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 07:13 PM

I have no idea if they truly believe it, or have good poker faces, but have talked to some HS coaches that say OM's coaches are laughing it off, and saying nothing going on relates to the current staff as related to the football part, and that what is being looked at from the past is minor.

I don't believe that, but they, OM's coaches, are not lending any credence to it.

If true, they are not coming close to admitting it.

DancingRabbit
01-24-2016, 07:17 PM
That's incorrect. When we got our NOA, Mirando did as well. Same for ULL, Saunders received NOA at the same time. They also have to respond to NOA as well as the school. I should clarify that parties named that are also a part of the staff that commit violations have to respond. It wouldn't be outside boosters for example.

ETA. The letter of inquiry to place them on notice of an investigation and allow the enforcement staff to conduct interviews on campus is just sent to the president, chancellor and can be verbal or written and does not have to be disclosed.

I mis-read that. You are right.

Dawg496
01-24-2016, 07:20 PM
I have no idea if they truly believe it, or have good poker faces, but have talked to some HS coaches that say OM's coaches are laughing it off, and saying nothing going on relates to the current staff as related to the football part, and that what is being looked at from the past is minor.

I don't believe that, but they, OM's coaches, are not lending any credence to it.

If true, they are not coming close to admitting it.

They really have no play other than to laugh it off.

They aren't going to admit to anything and jeopardize their recruiting.

Really Clark?
01-24-2016, 07:25 PM
I mis-read that. You are right.

No biggie. Most people are still thinking of the old process and terminology. Like the LOI used to be the big deal. Now it's the NOA that lists the violations and the meat of the information from the investigation.

MannyDiazzzzNuts
01-24-2016, 07:31 PM
I honestly don't know the answer to this, but what's to keep fans from School A showing up to School B with School B clothes on to give money to recruits and filming the process?

Asking for a friend.

Really Clark?
01-24-2016, 08:06 PM
I honestly don't know the answer to this, but what's to keep fans from School A showing up to School B with School B clothes on to give money to recruits and filming the process?

Asking for a friend.

If they are not a booster of School B, then how is it a violation?

Jack Lambert
01-24-2016, 09:13 PM
If they are not a booster of School B, then how is it a violation?

If they are getting the money for the reasons believe it doesn't matter who gives them the money. Anyone can claim not to be a booster or some booster gives the money to someone else to give them the money. It's the end results the NCAA is worried with.

Really Clark?
01-24-2016, 09:20 PM
If they are getting the money for the reasons believe it doesn't matter who gives them the money. Anyone can claim not to be a booster or some booster gives the money to someone else to give them the money. It's the end results the NCAA is worried with.

That's not correct. NCAA clearly defines who a booster is and is not just some random person with no ties to the university.

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Can you imagine the number of fraudulent boosters would be out there to make false violations? We are outing half a dozen or more obsessed confeds a week just trying to troll and plant disinformation. Give those type of people the ability to fake being a booster of a school and it would be a toxic waste across college sports.

Political Hack
01-24-2016, 10:18 PM

Asking for a friend.

A lawsuit bigger than you could ever imagine. If someone did something like that to damage a multimillion dollar business theyd get sued into the Stone Age.

BossDawg
01-24-2016, 10:32 PM

I am too and I just think they're doing a good job a squashing the grapevine talk. I also don't think many other coaches, if any, are using it against them either...or if the other coaches even know anything about it. I hope like hell they are, or will.

Martianlander
01-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Newspapers in the state are in their pocket. Very little in the Clarion Ledger and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong but I have yet to see a mention in the Northeast Daily (unm) Journal.

miketice
01-25-2016, 09:09 AM
What is NOA?

Coach34
01-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Notice of Allegations I believe

miketice
01-25-2016, 09:29 AM
Notice of Allegations I believe

Thanks