01-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Going to TB Bucs as OC.

runwildjerious
01-24-2016, 04:27 PM
User Actions
Follow

Greg AumanVerified account
‏@gregauman
Bucs are hiring Southern Miss coach Todd Monken as their new offensive coordinator. Was WRs coach with Jaguars when Koetter coached there.

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2016, 04:29 PM
The NFL has to cut this shit out.

Frankly, I think this is incredibly unfair to USM. It's 2 weeks before signing day and they've got to find a new head coach.

Just ridiculous. I'm not sure what the answer is, but this doesn't seem right.

mic
01-24-2016, 04:29 PM
Usm should offer Kiffin as much as they can afford too..

Dawg496
01-24-2016, 04:34 PM

That was the first thought that went into my head. Perfect opportunity for Kiffin to get back into it.

RIdog

Doubt they have enough to interest Lane .

Ifyouonlyknew

Frankly, I think this is incredibly unfair to USM. It's 2 weeks before signing day and they've got to find a new head coach.

Why would the NFL care about signing day? If a company wanted to hire you why should they care what project your current company has a deadline for. Their job is to hire what they feel to be the best candidate whether he's recruiting or not.

Okrastar1
01-24-2016, 04:35 PM
Unreal to have to replace a HC this late in the process... That's meltdown mode for a recruiting class! I wonder what he said to the recruits this weekend who visited and some committed? "The only way I'm leaving USM is in a pine box, smttt!"

runwildjerious
01-24-2016, 04:35 PM
They are going to have a tough time finding a decent coach. Monken went the JC/transfer route and it worked for him. I just do not think they have enough to make an SEC coordinator jump at that job. Now, Jay Hopson on the other hand...

starkvegasdawg
01-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Mullen to USM.

BayouDawg
01-24-2016, 04:44 PM
Usm really did a number on themselves when they made bower "retire". Every coach they get now is just going to use them as a stepping stone.

Entodawg
01-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Hearing strong rumors of Freeze to USM (his alma mater) as an attempt to avoid the incoming NCAA sanctions

Dawgology
01-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Hearing strong rumors of Freeze to USM (his alma mater) as an attempt to avoid the incoming NCAA sanctions

No shit..I just posted this on a private board to get under some ole miss folks skins hahaha

ShotgunDawg
01-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Why would the NFL care about signing day? If a company wanted to hire you why should they care what project your current company has a deadline for. Their job is to hire what they feel to be the best candidate whether he's recruiting or not.

I get what your saying, but there was no rush for the Bucs.

Just seems like there should be a better way.

State82
01-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Man, that's tough. Just when they started to pick up a little momentum. If I was the AD I think I would throw my hands up and say screw this gig.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2016, 05:01 PM
I get what your saying, but there was no rush for the Bucs.

Just seems like there should be a better way.

I understand your point too but Tampa has a responsibility only to Tampa can't worry about what this is doing to anybody else.

Bdawg
01-24-2016, 05:28 PM

Yeah seems really unfair to the kids. Really hate it for them. Bad situation all around

somebodyshotmypaw
01-24-2016, 05:33 PM

Which would be far less than what a secretary in the football office makes at Bama.

Really Clark?
01-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Which would be far less than what a secretary in the football office makes at Bama.

Monken made $700,000 base with $125,000 bonus available. Kiffin made $680,000 with almost $150,000 worth of bonuses at Bama.

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 06:02 PM
Going to TB Bucs as OC.

Wow, sucks enough to lose your coach, but to lose it him to an asst. job in the NFL kinda tells you where you are at as a program.

mic
01-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Wow, sucks enough to lose your coach, but to lose it him to an asst. job in the NFL kinda tells you where you are at as a program.

False.. It's the NFL.. And he is the OC.... It's not like he took the Speical teams job there..
Maybe Monken is an NFL type guy.. Shit any NFL OC job is a step up almost anywhere outside a power 5 school...

somebodyshotmypaw
01-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Monken made $700,000 base with $125,000 bonus available. Kiffin made $680,000 with almost $150,000 worth of bonuses at Bama.

Well I stand corrected. I thought Monken made about 400k and kiffin made 1 mil. I'm wrong then.

mic
01-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Well I stand corrected. I thought Monken made about 400k and kiffin made 1 mil. I'm wrong then.

If your usm and care anything about your football program you offer Kiffin around 1.5 million and nice little buyout clause when he leaves in a year or 2... So you get a little back in return..

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 06:19 PM
False.. It's the NFL.. And he is the OC.... It's not like he took the Speical teams job there..
Maybe Monken is an NFL type guy.. Shit any NFL OC job is a step up almost anywhere outside a power 5 school...

Ok, name the last Head coach of a D 1 team that took an NFL asst. job?

I'm sure there is one, but I can't think of it.

Quaoarsking
01-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Ok, name the last Head coach of a D 1 team that took an NFL asst. job?

I'm sure there is one, but I can't think of it.

Off the top of my head, Louisville's current OC was UAB's head coach and left that job (not fired) to go to Louisville.

Not NFL, but apparently even ACC coordinator jobs can be better than CUSA head coach jobs.

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 08:01 PM
Off the top of my head, Louisville's current OC was UAB's head coach and left that job (not fired) to go to Louisville.

Not NFL, but apparently even ACC coordinator jobs can be better than CUSA head coach jobs.

He was in over his head and knew it. Plus UAB was a dumpster fire and everybody knew it. He was smart to get out. Monken was nowhere near a hotseat or dumpster fire.

miketice
01-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Going to TB Bucs as OC.

Dam talking about shitty timing. That is just as bad as it gets

BurgDawg
01-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Hud to USM

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 08:21 PM
Hud to USM

Wouldn't surprise me. Would be a good hire for them if they could pull it off. Would probably save their recruiting class, whatever it is.

TrapGame
01-24-2016, 08:22 PM
Jeff Bower coached at USM not for money for the love USM. He worked with what he had. Fedora couldn't pay his assistants nearly enough. His own brother turned down a job as OC because he made more as a high school coach in Texas.

HSVDawg
01-24-2016, 08:22 PM

If he was getting compensated and supported by his administration on any sort of level that was even average compared to other FBS non-Power 5 programs, it wouldn't be an issue. But USM is such a shit job, it probably could have been any job that he would have left for.

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Jeff Bower coached at USM not for money for the love USM. He worked with what he had. Fedora couldn't pay his assistants nearly enough. His own brother turned down a job as OC because he made more as a high school coach in Texas.

USM firing Bower is one of the Top 10 dumbest moves in CFB history.

Classic example, of which some State and most OM folks are guilty of.......... thinking you are way more than you are.

Commercecomet24
01-24-2016, 08:27 PM
If he was getting compensated and supported by his administration on any sort of level that was even average compared to other FBS non-Power 5 programs, it wouldn't be an issue. But USM is such a shit job, it probably could have been any job that he would have left for.

This is true. I live down here and the amount of apathy for Usm athletics is crazy. They just don't care. Monken said before the season if he didn't see butts in the seats he was gone. Guess he kept his word. Can't say I blame him. Heck no reason to buy tickets to Usm games on game day you can find people giving them away(accept of course against Us!)

Mjoelner34
01-24-2016, 08:29 PM
This is true. I live down here and the amount of apathy for Usm athletics is crazy. They just don't care. Monken said before the season if he didn't see butts in the seats he was gone. Guess he kept his word. Can't say I blame him. Heck no reason to buy tickets to Usm games on game day you can find people giving them away(accept of course against Us!)

FCS here they come!

dawgs
01-24-2016, 08:36 PM
FCS here they come!

Honestly, within 20 years, maybe 10, I believe the 5 power conferences are going to completely separate from the non-P5 conferences and they will be be either an inbetween or FCS.

PendingTransaction
01-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Hud to USM

Hud's job is 10x better than USM.

Jack Lambert
01-24-2016, 08:44 PM
All you guys who get your ***** hurt everytime a coach leaves need to grow up and move out of you moms house. It's a business and those guys are out to make as much money as they can and don't tell me you would not leave your job for a better job for better pay. Grow up.

I think USM is better off. He took in over 30 transefers last year. He was going to lose 50 to 70 players this year and next combine. He was coaching for his next job and USM was going to be in the same shape they were in three years ago.

mic
01-24-2016, 09:16 PM
I wish Dylan Bradley would transfer here....

Todd4State
01-25-2016, 12:56 AM
I wish Dylan Bradley would transfer here....

Wasn't he a senior?

mic
01-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Wasn't he a senior?

He is either going to be Sr or a Jr if he redshirted..

Mjoelner34
01-25-2016, 09:50 AM
They fell so hard for the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" crap that their coaches now use it job hunting.

ShotgunDawg
01-25-2016, 09:53 AM
He is either going to be Sr or a Jr if he redshirted..

Has he graduated yet?

Could use a graduate transfer