PDA

View Full Version : Howland's 4 guard lineup

Dawg61
01-23-2016, 05:26 PM
since the 2nd half of the Florida game BH has mostly gone with a 4 guard lineup plus Ware. Thomas has played some but Daniels, Holman and Zuppardo have splinters in their asses from sitting on the bench so much.

Ready
Q
Newman
Sword
Ware

We have looked better on offense. I'm not sure if I fully like this 4 guard lineup but Villanova mastered it once and ever since then I have liked the idea of it. Thoughts?

BayouDawg
01-23-2016, 05:33 PM
I like it for the most part. Stans did when we won 4 in 4 days to win the sec tourney in 09 with turner playin the 4. It works if you can spread the floor with shooters and give your big man space. It does come with some drawbacks too though like lack of size for rebounding

Jacksondevildog
01-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Daniels did not get off the bench today. This guy went from getting decent minutes to basically zero.

preachermatt83
01-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Daniels did not get off the bench today. This guy went from getting decent minutes to basically zero.

Not one minute too soon either.

missouridawg
01-23-2016, 06:14 PM
A few years ago Mizzou had a 4 loss season with a 4 guard primary lineup.

the59dawg
01-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Not one minute too soon either.

Agree. There is a reason he is sitting, including suspect coach got tired of his shooting 3's and missing.

Liverpooldawg
01-23-2016, 07:27 PM
since the 2nd half of the Florida game BH has mostly gone with a 4 guard lineup plus Ware. Thomas has played some but Daniels, Holman and Zuppardo have splinters in their asses from sitting on the bench so much.

Ready
Q
Newman
Sword
Ware

We have looked better on offense. I'm not sure if I fully like this 4 guard lineup but Villanova mastered it once and ever since then I have liked the idea of it. Thoughts?

I don't like a 4 guard lineup at all. That being said it's the best lineup for us right now, sigh. I can't wait till our self imposed death penalty is over.

MetEdDawg
01-23-2016, 07:54 PM
The 4 guard lineup has worked and for now it's all we can do. We don't have a 4, so we've got to find an area of advantage on at least one side of the court at the 4. This does that.

I will add that while we will struggle rebounding in 4 guard, Sword was able to grab 8 rebounds today and Q got 6 which help offset that. Huge help for us because we only got out rebounded by 2. That's the recipe going forward. If we can rebound effectively enough in the four guard, we will win ball games.

Dawg61
01-23-2016, 08:07 PM
For those saying it in the GT I do not agree that Q is better than Newman. I just think he's smarter.

MarketingBully
01-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I looked down and saw no minutes for Daniels as we normally play 9 guys. I am hoping that Holman will start grabbing his minutes. He was one of the many recruiting mistakes Ray made that killed us. Kenny Paul Geno was the better option between the two but that is beside the point.

MarketingBully
01-23-2016, 09:59 PM
For those saying it in the GT I do not agree that Q is better than Newman. I just think he's smarter.

I think it's hard to live up to the monumental expectations that Newman had (no one would have lived up to those) and Q came in with really no expectations. If we can turn our perimeter defense up two to three notches, we can get to .500 overall and in the SEC. We are not too far off. I know this was against a very limited Ole Miss team but when we turned it up in the second half we really blew them out and went up by 12. Our biggest fault today was turnovers. If we don't turn the ball over, we win this game by 20+. We are getting better but our perimeter defense needs to improve.