PDA

View Full Version : According to my old highschool we got two more commits

djaymsu5
01-22-2016, 08:48 PM
In baseball https://twitter.com/wlbaseball12/status/690706371503783936. Unfortunately I know nothing about them.

Political Hack
01-22-2016, 08:52 PM
If they don't hit >.350 we're coming after you!

Todd4State
01-22-2016, 08:54 PM
They are very similar players, although I would say Eldridge is ahead of Denson right now. They are both RH pitchers from the same high school and they both are in the class of 2018 and they both are in the mid 80's right now in terms of fastball velocity.

Eldridge is a hair taller at 6'3" and Denson is 6'2".

Eldridge had an ERA of 2.56 for West Lauderdale as a freshman and Denson only pitched one game.

We also got a commit from a player from Michigan as well.

Political Hack
01-22-2016, 08:56 PM
We extended a scholarship to a pitcher that only threw one game last year? Seems odd. Must've played somewhere else too.

Todd4State
01-22-2016, 09:08 PM
We extended a scholarship to a pitcher that only threw one game last year? Seems odd. Must've played somewhere else too.

Probably West Lauderdale's JV team. He was just a freshman last year. College coaches don't go to local high school games like they used to back in the day. Now it's all about showcases and tournaments in the offseason. The guys that we have been getting commits from recently have all been from the MSU baseball camp.

We're looking more at skill, projectability, and signability.

Like I said the other day- baseball is different than some of the other sports because you do see guys that are getting recruited in junior high.

These guys also play for a strong high school program with a good baseball culture. Even though it's a small school, you don't see a lot of freshmen playing for West Lauderdale.

djaymsu5
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM
If they don't hit >.350 we're coming after you!

Lol I'm fine with that

Really Clark?
01-22-2016, 09:11 PM

Hunter played with the Spikes but I can't recall on Denson right now. I think he use to play with the Spikes as well.

djaymsu5
01-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Probably West Lauderdale's JV team. He was just a freshman last year. College coaches don't go to local high school games like they used to back in the day. Now it's all about showcases and tournaments in the offseason. The guys that we have been getting commits from recently have all been from the MSU baseball camp.

We're looking more at skill, projectability, and signability.

Like I said the other day- baseball is different than some of the other sports because you do see guys that are getting recruited in junior high.

These guys also play for a strong high school program with a good baseball culture. Even though it's a small school, you don't see a lot of freshmen playing for West Lauderdale.

No you don't. Unless the upperclassman are just not good and that hasn't been the case in a while. If a freshman starts on varsity for Boatner he's damn good.

Todd4State
01-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Hunter played with the Spikes but I can't recall on Denson right now. I think he use to play with the Spikes as well.

Denson played for Eric DuBose with East Coast Baseball. He probably was with the Spikes at one time though.

Really Clark?
01-22-2016, 09:32 PM
Denson played for Eric DuBose with East Coast Baseball. He probably was with the Spikes at one time though.

There you go. Thanks. Players jump around so much more now a days I can't keep track. Not that he jumps around to different teams.

rolodawg
01-23-2016, 12:20 AM

There is a name that brings back memories of dominate Friday starter.

Todd4State
01-23-2016, 01:09 AM
There is a name that brings back memories of dominate Friday starter.

DuBose was a beast when he went up against Washington in the 1997 regional championship (Pre- Super Regional and basically the equivalent) Brooks Bryan saved our tails when he robbed a home run from Chris Magruder who played in MLB for a few years with Cleveland. Every time I hear that story, Bryan gets more and more bar-b-que sauce on his glove.

My other favorite DuBose memory was when we were playing Delta State of all people in 1997. DSU was pretty scrappy and good as they always are- and they had a guy named Casey Myrick (I think it could have been Dee Haynes) who hit a home run off of DuBose. Myrick played in the Cardinals system for awhile and made it up to AAA, so he was a pretty good ballplayer. Anyway DSU's dugout was acting like they had won the World Series. Well the next time Myrick or Haynes came up to the plate- DuBose plunked them right in the back and we almost had a brawl break out. Anyway, we won like 13-6 or something like that and it was one of the most fun games I ever went to at MSU in terms of entertainment. Actually made me a DSU baseball fan because of how hard they played.