PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes Official

Big4Dawg
01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210657695

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZW9fnPVAAA9xz9.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZW9eksUgAENt3p.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZW9X9qU8AAxnN9.jpg

Turner promoted to Assistant Head Coach.

Buckley is Secondary coach & RC. Mullen usually has specified Safeties & CB coach. Wonder if he is Buckley will coach everything and hire a ST coach?

Political Hack
01-22-2016, 06:03 PM
I really hope we finally go with just a single secondary coach. I've never understood splitting those. I also don't see a need for a single TEs coach. Send them with WRs half the day and OL half the day. Plan your rotations accordingly. It waste a coaching position essentially.

We need a ST coach. ST won the national championship game this year. Invest in that.

I'd also like a DC who is just DC and doesn't also coach as position. Given Mullen's involvement in the offense, I think that's warranted.

DancingRabbit
01-22-2016, 06:18 PM
I really hope we finally go with just a single secondary coach. I've never understood splitting those. I also don't see a need for a single TEs coach. Send them with WRs half the day and OL half the day. Plan your rotations accordingly. It waste a coaching position essentially.

We need a ST coach. ST won the national championship game this year. Invest in that.

I'd also like a DC who is just DC and doesn't also coach as position. Given Mullen's involvement in the offense, I think that's warranted.

Agree with everything you said.

Spiderman
01-22-2016, 06:24 PM

The game has changed from the days of a cover 3 or man to man being it.

The run fits against these spread offenses, especially from the safeties, requires a ton of film study and drills. That's why most teams have both a CB and S coach.

The Corner coach has an easier job, in my opinion, and should be an ace recruiter. We had a better coach than recruiter at that spot and vice versa at the safety spot. Hughes should have been coaching corners.

I will agree the TE coach, especially for State, is a non need. We should have tried to bring back Beamer to coach.

Commercecomet24
01-22-2016, 06:26 PM

I agree. I believe part of our miscommunication and blown coverages in the secondary has stemmed from having seperate db coaches. Heck the long td pass to nc state te in the belk bowl we had a corner playing man and everybody else playing zone.

preachermatt83
01-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Looks like we are going after the best assistant coach we can find. Likely , by reading between the lines, Buckley will coach the entire secondary.. Great decision.

smootness
01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Looks like we are going after the best assistant coach we can find. Likely , by reading between the lines, Buckley will coach the entire secondary.. Great decision.

Shoot, you don't even have to read between the lines. It says so right there.

smootness
01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
We should have tried to bring back Beamer to coach.

Good idea, but he would have gone to UGA anyway.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
It says secondary coach because it's not determined if he will coach corners or safeties. We're going to replace Deshea with another coach in the secondary.

NCDawg
01-22-2016, 06:56 PM
So I assume Mullen is satisfied with the play of our OL.

mstatefan91
01-22-2016, 06:57 PM
It says secondary coach because it's not determined if he will coach corners or safeties. We're going to replace Deshea with another coach in the secondary.

Fred Smoot? He has started a twitter campaign lol

Ifyouonlyknew
01-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Fred Smoot? He has started a twitter campaign lol

Maybe when he gets serious about coaching.

Dawgowar
01-22-2016, 07:20 PM
There will be no additional coach. Bracky has self-imposed a sympathy punishment for TSUN since so many want us to 'play the game' - bas-tards!

engineerdog
01-22-2016, 07:30 PM
I do have to admit, i would love to listen to a film session with Smoot teaching some DBs on how to lay down some Smootsmack

Homedawg
01-22-2016, 07:30 PM

So based on that I can assume we will for sure hire a safeties coach......

HoopsDawg
01-22-2016, 07:34 PM

You want a dynamic recruiter as your TE coach. TE coach is just a paid recruiter on a lot of teams.

mic
01-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Spend money and hire guys... There are MANY NFL coaches right now that are collecting pay checks that could help this staff with good coaching experience..
Get Sallach the **** in an office... And lest hire some smart ****ing football minds ... Spend some $$$.. Our HC is making it .. Spread the wealth..

was21
01-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Sky is not falling regardless of what the scoop prints

Jack Lambert
01-22-2016, 08:11 PM

The run fits against these spread offenses, especially from the safeties, requires a ton of film study and drills. That's why most teams have both a CB and S coach.

The Corner coach has an easier job, in my opinion, and should be an ace recruiter. We had a better coach than recruiter at that spot and vice versa at the safety spot. Hughes should have been coaching corners.

I will agree the TE coach, especially for State, is a non need. We should have tried to bring back Beamer to coach.

300K plus a year. Find the time!

Jack Lambert
01-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Spend money and hire guys... There are MANY NFL coaches right now that are collecting pay checks that could help this staff with good coaching experience..
Get Sallach the **** in an office... And lest hire some smart ****ing football minds ... Spend some $$$.. Our HC is making it .. Spread the wealth..

NCAA limits you to how many coaches you can have.

TUSK
01-22-2016, 09:57 PM

enabler...

32 Dive
01-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Spread the wealth..

I thought it was "Spread the Fun!" #2009

bulldawg28
01-23-2016, 03:56 AM

You can't just put a coach at corner that didn't know the position. A corner is equivalent to playing left tackle, it's the hardest position on the field. Hughes safeties were terrible. Our secondary would have really been atrocious with him teaching terrible technique.

Spiderman
01-23-2016, 07:23 AM
You can't just put a coach at corner that didn't know the position. A corner is equivalent to playing left tackle, it's the hardest position on the field. Hughes safeties were terrible. Our secondary would have really been atrocious with him teaching terrible technique.

Jesus, I can go coach corner drills and technique. It ain't rocket science, I've done it. Easiest job on the field other than waterboy.

You better have some damn talent at CB, more than a coach.

bulldawg28
01-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Jesus, I can go coach corner drills and technique. It ain't rocket science, I've done it. Easiest job on the field other than waterboy.

You better have some damn talent at CB, more than a coach.

That's BS all day long. And you'll need Jesus every Saturday watching your corners getting destroyed weekly. You'll also need him when you're fired the following year. It's the hardest position on the field to play and to refine technique. You can't just pick it up. As a matter of fact show me any successful program that "just gave" the coaching duties of coaching corners to a coach.

Political Hack
01-23-2016, 11:08 AM

I understand the game has changed and that a nickel is just as common as 4-3 these days; however, in the SEC your safeties have to be able to cover man up. Ours can't. I'd like to see hem go through drills with the CBs. Flip their hips, find the ball, how to close, etc... And I also wouldn't mind seeing our CBs going through tackling drills with the S's. If you need separate focus, send the S's with the LBs for a day/a few drills. It's just a tweak to how you schedule practice. Nothing more, nothing less. And based on the changes to the game, I'd rather see our S's looking like CBs than a 4th and 5th LB.

Political Hack
01-23-2016, 11:11 AM
That's BS all day long. And you'll need Jesus every Saturday watching your corners getting destroyed weekly. You'll also need him when you're fired the following year. It's the hardest position on the field to play and to refine technique. You can't just pick it up. As a matter of fact show me any successful program that "just gave" the coaching duties of coaching corners to a coach.

I'd take it a step further and say that if a kid doesn't have a good secondary coach in high school it's going to take him 2-3 years to see the field despite their talent level. You absolutely cannot "wing it" playing CB. I will agree with Spider that you have to have supreme talent there too, but you won't argue with that either.

bulldawg28
01-23-2016, 11:54 AM
I'd take it a step further and say that if a kid doesn't have a good secondary coach in high school it's going to take him 2-3 years to see the field despite their talent level. You absolutely cannot "wing it" playing CB. I will agree with Spider that you have to have supreme talent there too, but you won't argue with that either.

I agree 100%.

Spiderman
01-23-2016, 07:39 PM

You're right, it's hard to PLAY .Coaching it, not so much. And if you coach football and can't coach the damn corners, you suck at it.

And you are too stupid to be in the conversation if you think corner is harder to play than QB or O Line. (Your words not mine. You say it's the hardest to play. You are wrong.)

TUSK
01-23-2016, 09:04 PM
You're right, it's hard to PLAY .Coaching it, not so much. And if you coach football and can't coach the damn corners, you suck at it.

And you are too stupid to be in the conversation if you think corner is harder to play than QB or O Line. (Your words not mine. You say it's the hardest to play. You are wrong.)

I believe CB is probably the most difficult position to play in all of sports... Physically... and given a "base" amount of intellect...

QB is certainly the most difficult from a cerebral perspective...

edit: I'll go a bit further... it takes a really good "coach" to train those with "great" CB skills & the typical corresponding intellect...

bulldawg28
01-23-2016, 09:12 PM
I believe CB is probably the most difficult position to play in all of sports... Physically... and given a "base" amount of intellect...

edit: I'll go a bit further... it takes a really good "coach" to train those with "great" CB skills & the typical corresponding intellect...

Thank you

Dawgowar
01-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Garo Yepremium agrees with Tusk and everyone else not from the island of Cyprus -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9enWbbLIHrk

bulldawg28
01-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Lol..insults because your football IQ doesn't go beyond 8th grade coaching? Let's break it down for you. A lineman has to back up and block someone running at them for 10 yards without holding. A corner has to run backwards while someone is running full speed for an entire length of the field without holding. He has to change directions from running backwards, tackle in open space, run beside someone whose trying to elude them, catch or intercept the ball,watch the Qb and communicate with his safety mid play. The only possible position harder to play is a Qb. And he has to make quick reads in chaos. Corner's have the hardest job on the field. That's why you couldn't play it.

Taog Redloh
01-23-2016, 10:00 PM
I like the move with Turner. He deserves it. He's also very aligned with Mullen's vision. Good disciplinarian, and produces grinders and strain (whatever the f that really is).

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Lol..insults because your football IQ doesn't go beyond 8th grade coaching? Let's break it down for you. A lineman has to back up and block someone running at them for 10 yards without holding. A corner has to run backwards while someone is running full speed for an entire length of the field without holding. He has to change directions from running backwards, tackle in open space, run beside someone whose trying to elude them, catch or intercept the ball,watch the Qb and communicate with his safety mid play. The only possible position harder to play is a Qb. And he has to make quick reads in chaos. Corner's have the hardest job on the field. That's why you couldn't play it.

No, little above that level, which by the way, would would even at that level be 10 more advanced than your football IQ. I played safety on defense by the way. You are right, wasn't fast enough to play it, but could damn sure coach it.

CB is all about talent. That's why you will see players play it as freshmen and sophomores, and as rookies in the NFL, and be successful. How many freshmen and rookies QB's are successful?

I'm sure the Pats would lose a little more sleep over Brady being out than any corner. We lost a corner this year and it sucked. But it wasn't as bad as losing Dak.

This thread was originally about coaching the position anyway.

You people do understand that the drills used in the NFL, and the SEC, are the same drills used in small college, juco, and HS, don't you? As the level advances, the talent is better, that is all.

Film study for the corners is the least difficult. A corner only has to remember 4 calls, and 2 of those are the same basically technique wise.

You have 3rds (Cover 3) Quarters(Cover 4) , Halves(or Cover 2), and man.

Cover 3 and Cover 4 and the basic same technique and responsibility wise. Deep outside, hash to side line, nobody behind you, nobody outside you, outside arm free. If QB rolls away, rotate over the top.

Cover 2, jam and squat, flats responsibility, set the edge.

Man, if your man goes to pee, shake his pecker for him when he's done.

Now if you can't coach the film side of that, and the drills that you can learn at any coaching clinic, you need to do something else.

I'll use what you said... you are right, I couldn't play corner, and the greatest damn corner back coach in the world, wouldn't have made me good enough to play.

I bet most can name some coordinators in the SEC and pros, but quick, other than Townsend, give me an honest answer and name a CB coach.

It and WR coach are the 2 entry level coaching positions for a reason.

All that to say again, I don't give a damn what kind of coach Mullen hires for Cornerbacks, he needs to hire a recruiter in that spot.

I seen it dawg
01-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Spiderman defeats bulldawg28

Taog Redloh
01-24-2016, 12:47 PM
Agreed and it's a beat down. Go ahead and add in all the other clowns coming to bulldawg28's rescue. Pretty easy to see who has any experience whatsoever with football.

confucius say
01-24-2016, 02:40 PM
No, little above that level, which by the way, would would even at that level be 10 more advanced than your football IQ. I played safety on defense by the way. You are right, wasn't fast enough to play it, but could damn sure coach it.

CB is all about talent. That's why you will see players play it as freshmen and sophomores, and as rookies in the NFL, and be successful. How many freshmen and rookies QB's are successful?

I'm sure the Pats would lose a little more sleep over Brady being out than any corner. We lost a corner this year and it sucked. But it wasn't as bad as losing Dak.

You people do understand that the drills used in the NFL, and the SEC, are the same drills used in small college, juco, and HS, don't you? As the level advances, the talent is better, that is all.

Film study for the corners is the least difficult. A corner only has to remember 4 calls, and 2 of those are the same basically technique wise.

Cover 3 and Cover 4 and the basic same technique and responsibility wise. Deep outside, hash to side line, nobody behind you, nobody outside you, outside arm free. If QB rolls away, rotate over the top.

Now if you can't coach the film side of that, and the drills that you can learn at any coaching clinic, you need to do something else.

I'll use what you said... you are right, I couldn't play corner, and the greatest damn corner back coach in the world, wouldn't have made me good enough to play.

I bet most can name some coordinators in the SEC and pros, but quick, other than Townsend, give me an honest answer and name a CB coach.

All that to say again, I don't give a damn what kind of coach Mullen hires for Cornerbacks, he needs to hire a recruiter in that spot.

I agree with your overall point, but to be fair, that's a pretty big over simplification of playing the position, as you probably know. To say a cb only has to know 4 calls is like saying a receiver only has to know what route to run and when to block.

bulldawg28
01-24-2016, 02:46 PM

All of that garbage mentioned above is coverages most of which involves a safety as well. That had nothing to with technique and what it takes to play corner. It's footwork, technique, God given ability, the right plant foot, how to plant on different routes, depending on the defense your running what options the WR has, what press does to a WR, what off man gives to the WR....etc.
4 coverages/calls proves your coaching teenage ball
Keep reading and playing Madden and you'll convince the ignorant. You're not a player just a steroid data junkie.

bulldawg28
01-24-2016, 02:51 PM

Crown him

bulldawg28
01-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Agreed and it's a beat down. Go ahead and add in all the other clowns coming to bulldawg28's rescue. Pretty easy to see who has any experience whatsoever with football.

Lol

Dawg496
01-24-2016, 03:22 PM
I will say - bulldawg28 played at State - and maybe in the secondary? I can't recall.. anyway.. I think he has plenty of football knowledge/experience whether or not you agree with his opinion on this particular issue or not.

And I haven't read the argument on either side - just thought I'd mention that.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-24-2016, 03:38 PM
I will say - bulldawg28 played at State - and maybe in the secondary? I can't recall.. anyway.. I think he has plenty of football knowledge/experience whether or not you agree with his opinion on this particular issue or not.

And I haven't read the argument on either side - just thought I'd mention that.

Pretty positive he played in the secondary at MSU.

Spiderman
01-24-2016, 05:56 PM
All of that garbage mentioned above is coverages most of which involves a safety as well. That had nothing to with technique and what it takes to play corner. It's footwork, technique, God given ability, the right plant foot, how to plant on different routes, depending on the defense your running what options the WR has, what press does to a WR, what off man gives to the WR....etc.
4 coverages/calls proves your coaching teenage ball
Keep reading and playing Madden and you'll convince the ignorant. You're not a player just a steroid data junkie.

Ok, if that makes you feel better

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-25-2016, 09:04 AM
I've been away this weekend. Any update on the safeties coach?