PDA

View Full Version : Ok...so Dan has won the games he's supposed to except the last Egg and the bowl game.

gravedigger
08-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Of course the bowl game is debatable because we weren't playing fried chicken, but that is a discussion for another day.

Do we all agree on what games are the 'supposed to' this year? Mine are

Not OSU.....sorry, that one is a toss up at best. More like USCe game or Auburn than anything else.
Alcorn....yes
Auburn......well....this one might create some debate. I say our team, playing a team we should have beaten the last 2 years and possibly the last 3, MIGHT qualify as a supposed to, but in the end, it's a road game against a team that has a great head coach. I say this is a 'no' on the supposed to for the reason of it being on the road. If it were in Starkville again, I'd say it's a supposed to.
Troy.....yes
LSU......no
Bowling Green....yes
Kentucky......yes
USCe......no
A&M.......no
Alabama.....no
Arkansas.....like auburn, this one being on the road makes me lean that it is not a 'supposed to'. And I'm sure I'll get all the stats on former teams that have lost and the fact we've never won in Little Rock. But the relevancy to the teams that have lost there and this team make those historical stats irrelevant. WE WONT LOSE THERE BECAUSE OF SOME MYSTICAL STREAK WITH TEAMS THAT DIDNT HAVE THESE PLAYERS. We could lose. But with what they are trying to do, and the coach they have now and the STRENGTH OF OUR TEAM, this is a 'supposed to' in my book.
Ole Miss.....at home, I aint buying one damn bit of their hype. It's a 'supposed to'.

THAT MEANS: if Mullen simply does what he's done minus the debacle in oxford last year, we will win at least 6 games.

Of course we could have some bad breaks like injuries or a game ref'd like the Houston game a few years back. But those things notwithstanding, we win 6 simply because our coach will make that happen.

How many more we win will be on the guts of the players.

my 2 cents.

msstate7
08-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd say auburn's head coach being great is debatable.

Quaoarsking
08-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I'd say auburn's head coach being great is debatable.

Agreed. My gut feeling is that Malzahn will eventually be considered a great coach, but he certainly hasn't proven anything yet.

gravedigger
08-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Truth. But he's good enough and their program is good enough and the fact it's on the road give me the sense that it doesn't qualify.

This really is going to boil down to Auburn, Arkansas and Ole Miss for us fans.

I think the rest are pretty cut and dry. Whether our fans think which of those 3 are 'supposed to' tells you very quickly what those fans think our record will be.

all three=7 wins
2 of 3=6 wins
0 of 3=5 wins

engie
08-08-2013, 07:19 PM
We were underdogs in both the Egg Bowl and the Gator Bowl...Those may have been "supposed to wins" before the season -- but by gametime, they were not...

I don't get into the "season predicting" too much -- just need to worry about week 1. Beat the Cowpokes and everything takes care of itself...

TopconDog
08-08-2013, 07:49 PM
We were underdogs in both the Egg Bowl and the Gator Bowl...Those may have been "supposed to wins" before the season -- but by gametime, they were not...

I don't get into the "season predicting" too much -- just need to worry about week 1. Beat the Cowpokes and everything takes care of itself...

If we run the ball 50 times vs Nwestern we win by 2 td's,coaching cost us that game and the egg bowl.

engie
08-08-2013, 07:52 PM
If we run the ball 50 times vs Nwestern we win by 2 td's,coaching cost us that game and the egg bowl.

I agree about Northwestern -- but how did coaching cost us the Egg Bowl?

Coach34
08-08-2013, 08:04 PM
We were not favored to win the Egg Bowl last season

SignalToNoise
08-08-2013, 08:04 PM

What I saw in that game looked like a Sparky Woods offense. Felt like the play-calling was just "off" all night.

Jack Lambert
08-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Take back the TR's first two inteceptions there is a 14 point flip in the score. We would have had more confidance and we win.

gravedigger
08-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Ok. the spread was against us, but the fact remains that the team that beat UT should have absolutely planted the team that could barely beat Arkansas and only won 5 other games.

We should have won that game. Losing was coaching and being blown out was players lacking the intestinal fortitude to overcome the bad coaching.

msstate7
08-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Ok. the spread was against us, but the fact remains that the team that beat UT should have absolutely planted the team that could barely beat Arkansas and only won 5 other games.

We should have won that game. Losing was coaching and being blown out was players lacking the intestinal fortitude to overcome the bad coaching.

I agree.

Coach34
08-08-2013, 10:16 PM

I agree with this

Us not taking advantage of 3 Rebel turnovers in the 1st half cost us the Egg Bowl

sandwolf
08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
....how did coaching cost us the Egg Bowl?

If all the stories about the friction between Mullen and Wilson are true, then that is how.

biscuit
08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
If we take care of our business the first half of that game, it's over at half time.......shoulda coulda woulda

Vandownbytheriver
08-09-2013, 08:32 AM

The fact Mullen made zero adjustments at the half and Freeze did. We kept running the same plays when Tyler was obviously having his worst game of the season. The gameplan for the Egg Bowl was shit on both sides of the ball.

bocfarm
08-09-2013, 09:41 AM
We were not favored to win the Egg Bowl last season

The line was -1...that's pretty much a pickem

We lost by 17....horrible

Coach34
08-09-2013, 10:26 AM
The line was -1...that's pretty much a pickem

We lost by 17....horrible

I do agree it was horrible to lose to them....but we were not favored and on their homefield...how do you pull an upset? You take advantage of 3 first half turnovers- we didnt and paid for it

Goat Holder
08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
but how did coaching cost us the Egg Bowl?

Chris Wilson???

Just because we all knew and expected our defense to suck by that point, doesn't mean it wasn't the reason we lost. I'll give Wilson one thing, he was consistently terrible enough to fool all our fans into thinking that it was our offense that made us collapse last year.