PDA

View Full Version : Marquiss Spencer

defiantdog
01-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Why isn't there more love for this guy? He's had a combined 44 sacks and 293 tackles in his junior and senior campaign (Simmons compares with 19.5 sacks and 169 tackles in 2 years). The last time we recruited a defensive linemen with crazy numbers like that was when we got Chris Jones after he put up 160 tackles his senior year in high school.

Todd4State
01-21-2016, 08:51 PM
I think it's because he re-classified to the 2016 class and so there weren't a lot of recruiting stories putting him out there.

EAVdog
01-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Shh.... Don't blow our cover. Mullen hiding recruits again.

msstate7
01-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Is spencer a speed off the edge guy?

Coach34
01-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Why isn't there more love for this guy? He's had a combined 44 sacks and 293 tackles in his junior and senior campaign (Simmons compares with 19.5 sacks and 169 tackles in 2 years). The last time we recruited a defensive linemen with crazy numbers like that was when we got Chris Jones after he put up 160 tackles his senior year in high school.

Because 95% of fans go off the rating guys like Yancy and Rosebowl give players. He isnt highly rated by Yancy or Rosebowl- so our fans cant fellate over him.

After April, we will have had 12 3-star players drafted to the NFL the last 4 drafts. Its what we do

defiantdog
01-21-2016, 09:13 PM
Is spencer a speed off the edge guy?

Speed off the edge is an understatement. The guy nearly average 5 sacks a game. He's going to be special once we get weight on him. I'm thinking Myles Garrett special.

Reason2succeed
01-21-2016, 09:27 PM
If Mullen is intentionally hiding players then he is doing a better job at recruiting than anyone give him credit for. Who cares (other than OM) about winning NDS. It's about winning in the fall. It's a perfect plea for a school positioned like State I around historic programs like LSU and Bama.

Todd4State
01-21-2016, 09:46 PM
If Mullen is intentionally hiding players then he is doing a better job at recruiting than anyone give him credit for. Who cares (other than OM) about winning NDS. It's about winning in the fall. It's a perfect plea for a school positioned like State I around historic programs like LSU and Bama.

No- it's just that he doesn't go off of Rosebowl and Yancy's ratings when identifying players.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-21-2016, 09:53 PM
To be fair Spencer is a 4* on Rivals, Scout, & 247.

Todd4State
01-21-2016, 10:39 PM
To be fair Spencer is a 4* on Rivals, Scout, & 247.

Yeah- and they just bumped him up a few weeks ago.

confucius say
01-21-2016, 10:52 PM
Several people who supposedly know scouting have told me he would have been a top 2-3 player in the state next year had he not reclassified. Take that for what it's worth.

Bothrops
01-22-2016, 12:23 AM
He's the best pass rush player in the state for 2016. In TX or GA he might be a 4*/5*. Nobody knows jack shit about him, except our coaches and a few of our fans.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-22-2016, 12:37 AM
I saw him at a camp at D1 facility last year and knew then he could be special. Real soft spoken and was really eager to get his speed up to be a DE...looks like he has accomplished that.

louisvilledawg
01-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Speed off the edge is an understatement. The guy nearly average 5 sacks a game. He's going to be special once we get weight on him. I'm thinking Myles Garrett special.

So number one player in the country special? lol nah don't think so.

msstate7
01-22-2016, 09:28 AM
So number one player in the country special? lol nah don't think so.

While I doubt he'll be Myles good, Jj watt was a nobody before Wisconsin and now he's the best defender in the world

RougeDawg
01-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Don't take this as negative because I fully believe our staff is able to identify talent better that most other coaching staffs. The biggest issue with our identifying "lower rated" and signing them creates a perception around the sports world that we don't have the talent to beat the big boys. Then when we do the narrative is "so and so is down" or "so and so was off their game and MSU took advantage".

Whereas on the flip side a team can get lucky against an opponent that won NC. When opponent was -5 in turnover battle , 3 of which occurred inside own 40, and still only lost by 6. That winning team was "perceived" to have taken it to their opponent because of the "perceived" talent and previous recruiting level. Even though the actual talent on the roster was much less that perceived on signing day. Attrition is rarely talked about after February even though it occurs.

Point of the post is that we must do much more and go above and beyond during the season, for us to garner the same respect and buzz as others because of perception. Perception, correct or incorrect, is reality to most people, especially the sports world.

dawgs
01-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Not saying he isn't under the radar or won't pan out, but looking at numbers for HS kids is pretty meaningless. i mean clearly every kid with 20 tackles and a sack on the season isn't college caliber, but a DE that put up 150 tackles and 25 sacks over the same window might actually be the better player.