PDA

View Full Version : Alright Weather guys, Ref, others what the forecast looking like for North MS?

Saltydog
01-21-2016, 04:32 PM
How much snow are we expected to get? I know Memphis supposedly looking at 4-6".

ScoobaDawg
01-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Scot Pilie' ‏@ScotPilie_Wx 17m17 minutes ago
Latest thinking on snow potential for N Mississippi. Winter Weather Advisory issued for Starkville 6AM Fri-6PM Fri.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZRgJPEXEAEVRNa.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZRgH60WQAA6NZs.jpg

beretta
01-21-2016, 05:27 PM
latest NWS text message to my phone for oxford has 1 inch accumulation per hour with 20-30mph winds with gusts up to 40mph.....mentions the words "blizzard like conditions".....no shit...if i weren't to lazy i would post the picture....

just wish it were next weekend....

Bucky Dog
01-21-2016, 05:29 PM
aaaaaaand here come the tornadoes into SW and central MS!

mstatefan91
01-21-2016, 06:16 PM
My guess is starkville gets a couple of inches but that none will stick due to the wet ground and less than freezing conditions. Just nasty conditions for students walking around campus.

starkvegasdawg
01-21-2016, 06:27 PM
Latest models have backed off the high snow totals in ms. It wouldn't surprise me if NW MS got 5-8" but that should be tops for the state. Official forecast for Starkville is 2" but I agree msstatefan91. Ground is so warm and wet it will have a hard time accumulating. It will have to come down very hard at the onset to basically get a crust to form for the rest to accumulate on.

TheRef
01-21-2016, 06:43 PM
Honestly, I don't see Starkville getting anything to stick. The Golden Triangle will be wet, but not white. It is just going to be too warm beforehand to even have anything stick. I seriously doubt that we will have much fall. Accumulations in the Golden Triangle will be very little on the roads. Elevated surfaces may get some small accumulation, but not too much to really have anything stick. Biggest fear on elevated surfaces will be the accumulation of ice. That's my fear for this situation. Honestly, I wouldn't drive Friday night if you have to go on an elevated surface.

shoeless joe
01-21-2016, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't drive Friday night if you have to go on an elevated surface.

Which is exactly what I'll be doing. Just hopin to get outta town before temps get below freezing. Will be heading south so maybe it'll get better as I go.

TheRef
01-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Which is exactly what I'll be doing. Just hopin to get outta town before temps get below freezing. Will be heading south so maybe it'll get better as I go.

The colder it gets, the larger the threat for ice on bridges and other elevated surfaces on Friday night. The sooner you can leave, the better.