PDA

View Full Version : So, the NJCAA Offensive POY is a RB at NorthwestCC...

engie
01-20-2016, 01:18 PM
that we have not offered? Ridiculous. And I, for one, do not think our RB situation is as dire as many here do. But this type of stuff is how we ended up in the situation from this past year.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/-12-17-15-_2015_Offensive_POTY

starkvegasdawg
01-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Maybe Mullen has compassion for the kid and doesn't want him killed trying to run behind our line.

Coursesuper
01-20-2016, 01:37 PM
that we have not offered? Ridiculous. And I, for one, do not think our RB situation is as dire as many here do. But this type of stuff is how we ended up in the situation from this past year.

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/-12-17-15-_2015_Offensive_POTY

Did you ever think to stop and wonder who placed him there? I'm with you on the RB situation though it's hard to run when you run right into the guy with the other color jersey on.

engie
01-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Did you ever think to stop and wonder who placed him there?

Doesn't really matter since he's going through open recruitment now -- with new offers from Arky and aTm...

gravedigger
01-20-2016, 01:44 PM

My guess would be that weve contacted him and he let us know there was no mutual interest.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 01:50 PM
We have something like 6 RBs on the roster right now with the potential of bringing in 2 4* rbs next year (2017). We're good at the position. Let's get some linemen.

engie
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
We have something like 6 RBs on the roster right now with the potential of bringing in 2 4* rbs next year (2017). We're good at the position. Let's get some linemen.

Pretty hard to say we're "good" at the position -- when all of our running backs combined for under 1000 yards last year. 68 RBs nationally ran for more yards than our entire corps last year. I like the upside of the young 4 -- but when you have a chance to grab an elite rb out of JUCO right up the street -- you make the attempt.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Pretty hard to say we're "good" at the position -- when all of our running backs combined for under 1000 yards last year. 68 RBs nationally ran for more yards than our entire corps last year. I like the upside of the young 4 -- but when you have a chance to grab an elite rb out of JUCO right up the street -- you make the attempt.

Who said we didn't make an attempt? We aren't the only school that has given interest without an offer. Besides, if UGA ever offers, he's taking it. I like his running style though.... reminds me of Terrell Davis.

mic
01-20-2016, 02:12 PM
A juco RB isn't going to help us the next couple of years ..
That would be a wasted scholarship

Jack Lambert
01-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Mullen is the one with the 4.0 million dollar job on the line. I am sure if he needed the guy he would have talked to him.

Johnson85
01-20-2016, 02:18 PM

I think it's impossible to say we're good. We were really bad at RB last year. The worst I can remember us being. If we have a RB that is good this year that is not a freshman, that pretty much means Mullen 17ed up in 2015 by not getting him on the field. I don't know if this JUCO guy is good, but if he's good, you certainly don't pass on him because you like the potential of our young RBs.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 02:30 PM
We red shirted the 2014 Alabama 5A Back of the Year last year. He had 2,200 yards rushing his junior year in high school and would of hit 2,000 rushing his senior year if he didn't get injured. We're fine at the RB spot. We need linemen.

Bubb Rubb
01-20-2016, 02:42 PM

We have two guys on the roster currently that's better than the RB at Northwest, and they would've been similarly successful at NW last year.

RB is not our priority right now.

engie
01-20-2016, 02:48 PM
We red shirted the 2014 Alabama 5A Back of the Year last year. He had 2,200 yards rushing his junior year in high school and would of hit 2,000 rushing his senior year if he didn't get injured. We're fine at the RB spot. We need linemen.

And how does this reflect well on our coach when such a talent is redshirting behind 984 total yards from the RB position? And don't play the "it's blocking" card with Holloway lined up back there for the majority of snaps and Dak getting killed all year.

gravedigger
01-20-2016, 03:10 PM
And how does this reflect well on our coach when such a talent is redshirting behind 984 total yards from the RB position? And don't play the "it's blocking" card with Holloway lined up back there for the majority of snaps and Dak getting killed all year.

Ill see his "its blocking" and raise you a "dan thought the 4 he had would be fine, until they werent and it was too late".

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-20-2016, 03:20 PM
.....when all of our running backs combined for under 1000 yards last year.

how was our online to run behind?

engie
01-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Ill see his "its blocking" and raise you a "dan thought the 4 he had would be fine, until they werent and it was too late".

And when exactly did he decide it was too late? Was it the second game against LSU when the problem first manifested itself? Hardly late enough to refuse to pull a redshirt.

Political Hack
01-20-2016, 03:29 PM
If it makes you mad that we haven't offered him, this will really piss you off. He wants to go to State. He's got some friends at State including the guy who played QB for them last year.

engie
01-20-2016, 03:30 PM
how was our online to run behind?

Much better when Dak was the one doing it. And less terrible when it was Williams, Lee, Fitz, Ross, Staley, and Dear were doing it.

The extent that people go to to try to justify our personnel usage this year is humerous. Either we've got the horses -- and Mullen screwed up. Or we don't have the horses -- and Mullen is screwing up.

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 03:41 PM
A JUCO RB, when was the last time we had a great JUCO rb?

Oh yea--Vic Ballard

HancockCountyDog
01-20-2016, 03:45 PM
The numbers just don't work. We can't sign a juco back when we have 6 RBs on campus and only 2 are seniors.

Johnson85
01-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Much better when Dak was the one doing it. And less terrible when it was Williams, Lee, Fitz, Ross, Staley, and Dear were doing it.

The extent that people go to to try to justify our personnel usage this year is humerous. Either we've got the horses -- and Mullen screwed up. Or we don't have the horses -- and Mullen is screwing up.

+1

It's not hard. Maybe Mullen is not screwing up by not offering this particular guy, but we need a good RB this year, and anybody that is good this year, barring an injury or just ridiculous off season development, would have been better than what we put on the field last year.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2016, 04:19 PM
It was an odd year in that outside of the Bama and UNM game our OL actually did a very good job in pass pro and when the RIGHT people were running the football the holes appeared to be there. I don't believe the OL was as bad as it is being perceived. That being said an upgrade in the OL talent would always be welcome.

Just as an aside if you watched BAMA play Georgia and LSU(2 teams who have 4 and 5 star talent all along the OL),they ran into a brick wall all game long. And even Michigan State who is very proud of their power run game failed to dent Bama's D.

GreenheadDawg
01-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Fact of the matter is that if we field another o-line in 2016 similar to 2015 then I don't give a damn if Adrian Peterson is our RB, we will be a terrible rushing team. Granted, it doesn't help when your feature back is 150 pounds soaking wet but I don't think anybody could run 1000 yards behind that ***** line. O-line play and coaching was the reason we couldn't take the next step. It doesn't look like it's gonna get any better anytime soon

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 04:20 PM
+1

It's not hard. Maybe Mullen is not screwing up by not offering this particular guy, but we need a good RB this year, and anybody that is good this year, barring an injury or just ridiculous off season development, would have been better than what we put on the field last year.

We'll have 2 seniors, 2 redshirt sophmores and 2 redshirt freshmen at RB next year. What good would it be to have a junior in the mix when we can use the scholarship for a position of need.

GreenheadDawg
01-20-2016, 04:21 PM
It was an odd year in that outside of the Bama and UNM game our OL actually did a very good job in pass pro and when the RIGHT people were running the football the holes appeared to be there. I don't believe the OL was as bad as it is being perceived. That being said an upgrade in the OL talent would always be welcome.

Just as an aside if you watched BAMA play Georgia and LSU(2 teams who have 4 and 5 star talent all along the OL),they ran into a brick wall all game long. And even Michigan State who is very proud of their power run game failed to dent Bama's D.

We aren't discussing pass blocking.

NCDawg
01-20-2016, 04:24 PM
A JUCO RB, when was the last time we had a great JUCO rb?

Oh yea--Vic Ballard

J J Johnson was pretty good, too. I think Kevin Bouie was a JC player also.

engie
01-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Fact of the matter is that if we field another o-line in 2016 similar to 2015 then I don't give a damn if Adrian Peterson is our RB, we will be a terrible rushing team. Granted, it doesn't help when your feature back is 150 pounds soaking wet but I don't think anybody could run 1000 yards behind that ***** line. O-line play and coaching was the reason we couldn't take the next step. It doesn't look like it's gonna get any better anytime soon

Aeris Williams 5.15
Dontavian Lee 6.23
Nick Fitzgerald 5.52
Malik Dear 10.00
Fred Ross 21.00
Elijah Staley 6.00
All of these guys ran it pretty decently behind... And Dak did as well when you remove sacks from his rushing stats...

Everyone wants to boil it down to a single issue when it is a combination of factors. But Mullen's RB usage was an absolute travesty. We're right back to where we were after Robinson's redshirt freshman year when everyone saw he was our best choice for feature back -- but he still had to wait 2 more years for him to get his chance at it. And the same thing is going to happen with Holloway and Shump next year -- with these other 4 sitting in the wings. I'm prone to believe we have the horses as well --- but I'm not prone to believe that we will use them until the older ones graduate.

dawgoneyall
01-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Williams was actually pretty good when running the ball.

Commercecomet24
01-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Aeris Williams 5.15
Dontavian Lee 6.23
Nick Fitzgerald 5.52
Malik Dear 10.00
Fred Ross 21.00
Elijah Staley 6.00
All of these guys ran it pretty decently behind... And Dak did as well when you remove sacks from his rushing stats...

Everyone wants to boil it down to a single issue when it is a combination of factors. But Mullen's RB usage was an absolute travesty. We're right back to where we were after Robinson's redshirt freshman year when everyone saw he was our best choice for feature back -- but he still had to wait 2 more years for him to get his chance at it. And the same thing is going to happen with Holloway and Shump next year -- with these other 4 sitting in the wings. I'm prone to believe we have the horses as well --- but I'm not prone to believe that we will use them until the older ones graduate.

Exactly! When the RIGHT people ran the football the holes appeared to be there.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Aeris Williams 5.15
Dontavian Lee 6.23
Nick Fitzgerald 5.52
Malik Dear 10.00
Fred Ross 21.00
Elijah Staley 6.00

We'll see. Holloway and Shump out shined Aeris and Lee in practice this season. Gibson is a step above both of them though imo. I think Gibson sees the rock more next year. The coaches have noticed his vision and ability to hit the holes in each practice. They've also noted on his progression through the season and how he's on a different level.

mic
01-20-2016, 05:24 PM
And we are getting the best RB in the state in the 2017 class..
If the numbers workout and miss a lot of other guys in this class then sure get the kid in..
But give me OL and players on the defensive side of the ball first...

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Mullen doesn't process players and he doesn't add SEC ready transfers. Basically he never trims the fat. When the #1 juco RB wants to play for you you find him a spot. UT got the #1 juco RB last year, Alvin Kamara, and he rushed for 700 yards with 7 TDs and caught 34 balls for 300 yards and another 3 touchdowns playing the #2 back behind Josh Dobbs. 1,000 yards of offense and 10 touchdowns. This is Mullen being a stubborn dumbass basically.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 05:50 PM
Mullen doesn't process players and he doesn't add SEC ready transfers. Basically he never trims the fat. When the #1 juco RB wants to play for you you find him a spot. UT got the #1 juco RB last year, Alvin Kamara, and he rushed for 700 yards with 7 TDs and caught 34 balls for 300 yards and another 3 touchdowns playing the #2 back behind Josh Dobbs. 1,000 yards of offense and 10 touchdowns. This is Mullen being a stubborn dumbass basically.

It's about game speed with these Juco guys. Some get it right out of the gate, but some take time. Jovon Robinson was a dynamic RB in Juco but didn't really hit the scene at Auburn until the end of the season. Look at Hutch for us. He barely sniffed the field last year. Do you really want to spend a scholarship on position that isn't necessarily needed hoping a guy is going to catch up to speed immediately like Cam Newton? Or are you willing to spend that scholarship on a position of need?

Todd4State
01-20-2016, 05:51 PM

My thoughts exactly. But based on the actual performances of our freshmen, I believe we have the horses.

Todd4State
01-20-2016, 05:51 PM

I agree.

Todd4State
01-20-2016, 05:54 PM
It's about game speed with these Juco guys. Some get it right out of the gate, but some take time. Jovon Robinson was a dynamic RB in Juco but didn't really hit the scene at Auburn until the end of the season. Look at Hutch for us. He barely sniffed the field last year. Do you really want to spend a scholarship on position that isn't necessarily needed hoping a guy is going to catch up to speed immediately like Cam Newton? Or are you willing to spend that scholarship on a position of need?

Based on Holloway and Shumpert's performance, I'm willing to roll the dice in this case. If he sucks he's not going to be any worse than what we have- and he just might end up being Vick Ballard 2.0.

Johnson85
01-20-2016, 06:01 PM
We'll have 2 seniors, 2 redshirt sophmores and 2 redshirt freshmen at RB next year. What good would it be to have a junior in the mix when we can use the scholarship for a position of need.

If you're saying that RB is not a position of need then logically you are saying that Mullen screwed up personnel management last year, or that while none of our backs from last year were decent or had the ability to be decent, one or more of them are actually going to be good this year. The second scenario is possible, but not likely, so most likely you are saying Mullen 17ed up personnel management at RB last year.

I'm agnostic as to which is true, although I will say it certainly looked like we had decent options that for whatever reason couldn't get on the field.

Johnson85
01-20-2016, 06:08 PM

We have a senior RB that isn't up to speed, a senior RB that got up to speed his RS junior year but unfortunately is 150 lbs, and two RS sophomore RBs that if you trust Mullen, couldn't get up to speed in two years on campus.

If we can grab a RB that can be up to speed by the end of his first season on campus, even if he'll only have one year after that, that sounds pretty good compared to what we're doing now. We'll basically burn two years of scholarship for a 1.25-1.3 seasons of performance, rather than burning four or five years of scholarship for two years of production.

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 06:14 PM

What I want is for Mullen to understand how to improve the 85th player on his team.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-20-2016, 08:43 PM

I'll bite on this. You are saying we didn't look so good at RB, yet you lit me up when I claimed Christian McCaffrey was better than our RB's. So which is it because you are talking out of two sides of your mouth?

RougeDawg
01-20-2016, 09:04 PM

The only thing this confirms is the thickness of one Daniel Mullen's skull.

engie
01-20-2016, 09:05 PM
I'll bite on this. You are saying we didn't look so good at RB, yet you lit me up when I claimed Christian McCaffrey was better than our RB's. So which is it because you are talking out of two sides of your mouth?

I was wrong about McCaffrey. Sorry I hurt your feelings half a year ago.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-20-2016, 09:09 PM
And I, for one, do not think our RB situation is as dire as many here do. But John Hevesey is how we ended up in the situation from this past year.

FIFY

DancingRabbit
01-20-2016, 09:28 PM
And we are getting the best RB in the state in the 2017 class..
If the numbers workout and miss a lot of other guys in this class then sure get the kid in..
But give me OL and players on the defensive side of the ball first...

This is the right answer. If we have some misses and end up with an extra spot then yeah, maybe. I'm no recruitnik, but it seems like the numbers don't favor making this guy a priority. I do think we have some RB talent on campus. Dan and Hev have to get things back on track.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 09:52 PM

Speaking of that.... How much of a disappointment has Barry Sanders Jr been?

Taog Redloh
01-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Do I wish our JUCO recrootin was better? Yes

Do I wish we'd do better at NWCC? Yes

Do I think engie should be bashing Mullen at this point? See 2013.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-21-2016, 04:52 AM
Speaking of that.... How much of a disappointment has Barry Sanders Jr been?

He was pretty highly rated, but is stuck behind a better back on the depth chart. He is transferring I believe. He dang sure isn't his dad.

BiscuitEater
01-21-2016, 10:04 AM
If it makes you mad that we haven't offered him, this will really piss you off. He wants to go to State. He's got some friends at State including the guy who played QB for them last year.

Ex-Brandon quarterback Gardner Minshew was their QB last year. Is he going to walk-on the FB team or is he giving up football? This is the first time to hear this news.

engie
01-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Do I think engie should be bashing Mullen at this point? See 2013.

Ah, yes... The year where injuries to starters then put the best players on the field and allowed us to make a bowl game...

Taog Redloh
01-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Ah, yes... The year where injuries to starters then put the best players on the field and allowed us to make a bowl game...
Funny enough, Hud the savior is still available (who'da thunk??). Go ahead and start your agenda. You'll fit right in with the loud minority.

the59dawg
01-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Williams was actually pretty good when running the ball.

Not even against the non-conf teams.

sleepy dawg
01-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Maybe you could've just saved everyone the trouble of reading this thread if you'd have just entitled it "Mullen Sucks", and talked about how he doesn't know how to coach or recruit since it was bound to end up there anyway.