PDA

View Full Version : We are the best 0-5 team in SEC history

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm serious. We lost to a very good aTm team by 1 point. We lost to a decent Florida team in their house by 3 after being up 11. We hung with Kentucky and fought well vs Arkansas and Tennessee. That's a pretty stout lineup to face in your first five games. The schedule will get easier here on out. We certainly aren't the worst team in the SEC even though we are the only winless one. I think we win atleast five SEC games.

chainedup_Dawg
01-20-2016, 01:27 PM
I wish i could be that positive. When it comes to the final score at least, we seem to play to the level of our competition which concerns me for when we play the lesser teams in conference.

Harrydawg
01-20-2016, 01:29 PM
I'm embarrassed for you

SDDawg
01-20-2016, 01:43 PM
I agree with this thread- badge of shame for us but it's definitely accurate.

rabbitthedawg
01-20-2016, 01:46 PM
I am optimistic we win Saturday and once they get that win under their belt, others will follow.

thf24
01-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Whether you're into moral victories or not, if this isn't the truth, it's not far from it. This has been a pretty brutal stretch to start conference play in a significantly improved SEC. Not a bad idea to take solace in given that this is a transition year in which it turns out we just don't have the horses to compete.

engie
01-20-2016, 02:06 PM
RPI of 199 says that even though it's been a tough stretch and we've gotten some moral victories in the losses -- we're still a pretty horrible team.

msstate7
01-20-2016, 02:06 PM
Only problem with the theory is aTm was without their best player and tenn isn't that good

Jack Lambert
01-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Maybe they should get a ring for that.

Irondawg
01-20-2016, 02:16 PM
We are a weird team. In one way we are better than I thought we'd be and in some other ways we are worse than I thought we would be.

Every game is an uphill battle for us with our total lack of size and ability to protect the rim. Malik's injury didn't help and then we just have issues with some guys knowing and accepting roles.

I'm honestly surprised we've been as close as we have in most games

Bully13
01-20-2016, 02:25 PM
We lost to a swac team. We play up or down depending on the level of competition. .this team simply doesn't know how to put it in the proper gear to pull out a win. They never have.

defiantdog
01-20-2016, 02:32 PM
We lost to a swac team. We play up or down depending on the level of competition. .this team simply doesn't know how to put it in the proper gear to pull out a win. They never have.

Our upper class men are basically SWAC players.

sorrydog
01-20-2016, 02:50 PM
Actual performance matters. We ARE the worst team. But we have won signing day!
Please hurry up next year.

Jack Lambert
01-20-2016, 03:36 PM
Our upper class men are basically SWAC players.

Didn't they get beat by a swac team?

MCsMGs
01-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Amen! Praise the Lord!!! Pass the plate!

Finally, a positive view of our basketball team...whether the view is accurate or not, one BIG characteristic of a winner is that he always views himself a winner regardless of the scoreboard or the record. Sports psychology 101...MSU fans would do the programs good to embrace the concept. That other school in the state beats us worse and more often in this than any field or court.

Bully13
01-20-2016, 04:25 PM
Amen! Praise the Lord!!! Pass the plate!

Finally, a positive view of our basketball team...whether the view is accurate or not, one BIG characteristic of a winner is that he always views himself a winner regardless of the scoreboard or the record. Sports psychology 101...MSU fans would do the programs good to embrace the concept. That other school in the state beats us worse and more often in this than any field or court.

I see this point too but you let tsun suck like us and you'll see them bitch too.

BeardoMSU
01-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Was just listening to H2H....apparently, despite being the best 0-5 team in SEC history, Dick Cross thinks Malik would've been better suited to play for OM alongside Moody. Haters gonna hate I guess. Price of being on top.***

Bully13
01-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Was just listening to H2H....apparently, despite being the best 0-5 team in SEC history, Dick Cross thinks Malik would've been better suited to play for OM alongside Moody. Haters gonna hate I guess. Price of being on top.***

Good Lord. You're kidding, right?

MarketingBully
01-20-2016, 04:59 PM
This is why we are 0-5 in the SEC right now. Look at this FT disparity between us and the opposing teams in free throw attempts in the final five minutes of the game. This is from Michael Bonner on the CL. Really good analysis.

MSU’s FTs in final 5 minutes vs. SEC schools – 6 of 12
SEC opponents in final 5 minutes vs. MSU – 29 of 35

BeardoMSU
01-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Good Lord. You're kidding, right?

Nope. He prefaced the whole conversation by asking Matt "if he thought Malik regretted signing with State", lol. What a dick bag.

MarketingBully
01-20-2016, 05:06 PM
This is why we are 0-5 in the SEC right now. Look at this FT disparity between us and the opposing teams in free throw attempts in the final five minutes of the game. This is from Michael Bonner on the CL. Really good analysis.

MSU’s FTs in final 5 minutes vs. SEC schools – 6 of 12
SEC opponents in final 5 minutes vs. MSU – 29 of 35

What this tells me is that at the end of the game, Ware is nowhere to be found and two that we aren't driving enough to the basket and are depending too much on jump shots at the end of the game. This shit is rediculous. Getting jobbed by the refs also doesn't help these numbers but we don't have a boisterous leader out there demanding the ball and demanding foul calls. That's the player we miss. Jamont, Bowers, Rhoads, Roberts those guys demanded the ball got the fouls and were leaders. None of our seniors we have now are anything like that.

Dallas_Dawg
01-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Headline should read: Best looking turd in a pile of shit

MCsMGs
01-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Headline should read: Best looking turd in a pile of shit

So, you believe that SEC basketball is a pile of poop?

MarketingBully
01-21-2016, 04:15 AM
Saw that Tennessee's shitty three point shooting returned back to form last night against Vanderbilt. Of course Tennessee would shoot and play like shit after playing us. Also, Moore was back in the lineup. Mostella was the one who replaced Moore last Saturday. Personally, if we had played Tennessee with Moore, we probably beat them. Mostella went from 24 points against us to 8 against Vandy in limited minutes but I doubt he plays much against us or takes the shots he took against us if they had Moore. Has been our crappy luck though this year. Teams lose a big piece from their team A&M/Tennessee and RACs happen (Hogg/Mostella).

Dawg61
01-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Saw that Tennessee's shitty three point shooting returned back to form last night against Vanderbilt. Of course Tennessee would shoot and play like shit after playing us. Also, Moore was back in the lineup. Mostella was the one who replaced Moore last Saturday. Personally, if we had played Tennessee with Moore, we probably beat them. Mostella went from 24 points against us to 8 against Vandy in limited minutes but I doubt he plays much against us or takes the shots he took against us if they had Moore. Has been our crappy luck though this year. Teams lose a big piece from their team A&M/Tennessee and RACs happen (Hogg/Mostella).

We have had shit luck all year so hopefully we are just getting it out of our system before next year. Maybe next year we will have good luck and a good team.

blacklistedbully
01-21-2016, 07:34 PM
If we rally and somehow make the NIT, we could be one of those teams other coaches hate to play, a well-coached team that is perceived to be worse than we are due to some ugly losses and overall record, but in reality a team that has shown the potential to beat any team we play.

Yes, we could still lose to Podunk U, but we are also dangerous enough to get on a roll and beat anyone. Really good teams can sometimes have a hard time getting up for a team they perceive to be not-very-good.

If we can get there, a big if, I know, but if we can, we just might be dangerous by that time.

HSVDawg
01-22-2016, 08:37 AM
If we rally and somehow make the NIT, we could be one of those teams other coaches hate to play, a well-coached team that is perceived to be worse than we are due to some ugly losses and overall record, but in reality a team that has shown the potential to beat any team we play.

Yes, we could still lose to Podunk U, but we are also dangerous enough to get on a roll and beat anyone. Really good teams can sometimes have a hard time getting up for a team they perceive to be not-very-good.

If we can get there, a big if, I know, but if we can, we just might be dangerous by that time.

It's not a "big if", it's a complete inpossibility. NIT is totally out of the question with this team. We might get there next year though.

msstate7
01-22-2016, 08:39 AM
It's not a "big if", it's a complete inpossibility. NIT is totally out of the question with this team. We might get there next year though.

I agree. Barring Holman turning into Charles Rhodes the rest of the year and Malik dropping 25 a game from here out, we aren't making the nit

MarketingBully
01-22-2016, 01:50 PM
All I have to say is this is all on our senior players. You can't blame this on the coaches or support staff. These kids are getting the best of the best as far as coaching, training, and everything else. Our facilities and training program are second to none in the SEC. Have you guys seen the Relentless series? We have top of the line facilities and everything these kids would need to succeed. Too bad none of our seniors but Gavin took advantage of it (it would seem).

I think if all of our seniors had taken the same approach Gavin did to everything that was afforded to them we would have been a much different team and we would have a much different record to show for it. Just goes to show how much of a shit show program Rick Ray ran. Can't wait to get these freshmen in here and see the difference our S&C program and coaching transform those guys. The future does look bright if we can just get passed the short term and these seniors. I do think we will get off the snide tomorrow though and will win by 10+.

MarketingBully
01-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Also, anyone saying Coach Howland is doing a bad job coaching this year watch the relentless series. He is coaching his ass off trying to get this team to perform and trying to put them in the best situations to succeed. If the seniors don't do their part, it doesn't matter how much you try to coach them up. Our gym rat on this team is a freshman (Q). As has been stated ad nauseum on here, those seniors can't graduate soon enough.

Political Hack
01-22-2016, 02:05 PM

MSU?s FTs in final 5 minutes vs. SEC schools ? 6 of 12
SEC opponents in final 5 minutes vs. MSU ? 29 of 35

It just shows that were behind and having to foul a lot. 12 attempts is not enough to measure any trends really. It is something to pay attention to, but rebounding (lack of) is why we're losing. That and no defensive presence in the post combined with perimeter players that can't stop a dribble drive against a 17ing zone defense... Even typing that makes me want to smash something... Horrible.

Political Hack
01-22-2016, 02:10 PM
Also, anyone saying Coach Howland is doing a bad job coaching this year watch the relentless series. He is coaching his ass off trying to get this team to perform and trying to put them in the best situations to succeed. If the seniors don't do their part, it doesn't matter how much you try to coach them up. Our gym rat on this team is a freshman (Q). As has been stated ad nauseum on here, those seniors can't graduate soon enough.

Howland has his cupboard packed full of world class studs starting next season. The transition from this year to next will be tremendous. He will show everyone why I was on Ricky Ray's ass come year two. You can turn a program around in 2 years in basketball. You can only play five... So go get five. Howland did that plus some for good measure. His hardest job next year will be deciding which studs don't get as many minutes and how to get them to accept that role.

Ado is an absolute defensive beast. He'll be in a lot and start at 5. Keegler is going to be one of the best SF's in the SEC by the time conference play starts. The 6'4" shooting guard we signed reminds me of Rodney Hood with how good his mid-range game is. He's got a sweet 15 foot jumper and he knows how to use it. Malik will learn a lot from him even though Malik has a much, much highe ceiling than him. We are going to be stacked next season and have a multitude of line up possibilities. It's going to be fun to watch great defense at the rim result in transition points. We're going to go coast to coast in under 4 seconds like no one in the Hump has ever seen before and it's going to be a blast to watch.