PDA

View Full Version : Aric Holman

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Played much better tonight defensively than any other game despite fouling out. He deflected several loose balls helping to create turnovers. He also had a couple blocks and caused a couple over the back fouls. That was the good. Now the bad. He is an atrocious rebounder. He doesn't even leave his feet for rebounds. He is totally lost on the offensive side. He seems to want to be a Kevin Durant clone despite lacking any sign of offensive skill at all. He can't jump. He is slow. He can't shoot. He can't dribble. He can't set a pick. Please stay on the block and never leave it again. Other than that though good game Aric.

drummerdawg
01-20-2016, 08:07 AM
He's got potential. Needs to put on some ponds and get stronger. Last night he showed some flashes of his potential and then he would turn around and do something he shouldn't. He did seem to alter some shots down low, just needs to work on the rebounding and aggression among other things you mentioned.

Coach34
01-20-2016, 08:14 AM
If he shoots another 3, he needs to be benched for the rest of the season.

msstate7
01-20-2016, 08:17 AM

The last one was brutal. Some blame should go to ware for fouling out... Holman should've never been in there at the end

engie
01-20-2016, 08:19 AM
We were a better team all around when he was on the floor -- even with the freshmen mistakes.

msstate7
01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
We were a better team all around when he was on the floor -- even with the freshmen mistakes.

Ready
Malik
Q
Holman
Ware

Saturday's starting lineup?

We're 0-5 in sec play. We aren't getting postseason. This would definitely be my starting lineup. Potentially 4 starters return next year

messageboardsuperhero
01-20-2016, 08:26 AM
I agree that Holman can't rebound right now. He is clearly not where he needs to be physically yet.

But no offensive ability? LOL. He will be a great passer and a good shooter when he gets his feet wet.

messageboardsuperhero
01-20-2016, 08:28 AM

I disagree. He is a good shooter, even if that was a bad shot he took with a minute left. He shot 50% from three as a senior in high school- we brought him here to shoot from range and be a stretch four.

msstate7
01-20-2016, 08:28 AM
I agree that Holman can't rebound right now. He is clearly not where he needs to be physically yet.

But no offensive ability? LOL. He will be a great passer and a good shooter when he gets his feet wet.

I've definitely seen the passing ability. He seems to find the open man as well as most our guards. He's gonna be a really good passing big man

the59dawg
01-20-2016, 08:44 AM
I disagree. He is a good shooter, even if that was a bad shot he took with a minute left. He shot 50% from three as a senior in high school- we brought him here to shoot from range and be a stretch four.

He maybe was good in H.S. and maybe is gonna be in future, but right now with the game on the line he should NOT be trying 3's. Twice in last 1:00 min with us having a one pt lead, he missed a 3 and then almost airballed an 8 footer. Would rather anyone else be trying those game winning attempts. We needed help under the goal not out defending on the 3 pt line. Needs to strengthen his hands so he can hold onto rebounds, just like our female centers.
Having said all that, I believe he needs to be on the floor as much as he can. He is part of the future and we should be working on the future.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2016, 09:03 AM
He maybe was good in H.S. and maybe is gonna be in future, but right now with the game on the line he should NOT be trying 3's. Twice in last 1:00 min with us having a one pt lead, he missed a 3 and then almost airballed an 8 footer. Would rather anyone else be trying those game winning attempts. We needed help under the goal not out defending on the 3 pt line. Needs to strengthen his hands so he can hold onto rebounds, just like our female centers.
Having said all that, I believe he needs to be on the floor as much as he can. He is part of the future and we should be working on the future.

That 8ft shot was Daniels not Holman.

thf24
01-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Yeah he's terrible, you'd almost think he's only played a in a few college games after missing fall practice and the first half of the season with a broken foot. Jeez people, give him a break.

Coach34
01-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Exactly- he's not in HS anymore. He's about 0-7 so far this year from 3- and it's ugly. No mas

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Exactly- he's not in HS anymore. He's about 0-7 so far this year from 3- and it's ugly. No mas

0-4 so far. They're going to allow him to keep shooting bc that's what they signed him as a stretch 4. Aric biggest problem is he's having to play center. He'd be great playing with Gavin but with our lack of size it's almost impossible. Should he have shot that 3 probably not but you ran a pick & roll with him & he did what he always does pop to the 3 point line. He had an open look he didn't make it.

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 09:38 AM
He is wide ass open. Just take two steps with those giant giraffe legs and he'll have a wide ass open layup. Stop jacking 3s for the rest of this year. Idc if he's a Kyle Wiltjer clone. I say for every dunk he gets he can jack one 3. He's had one dunk all year and 4 3s attempted. He's -3 dunks till he can jack another 3.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-20-2016, 09:48 AM

Him shooting the 3 was bad enough but when he shot it was the head scratcher.

mic
01-20-2016, 10:31 AM
0-4 so far. They're going to allow him to keep shooting bc that's what they signed him as a stretch 4. Aric biggest problem is he's having to play center. He'd be great playing with Gavin but with our lack of size it's almost impossible. Should he have shot that 3 probably not but you ran a pick & roll with him & he did what he always does pop to the 3 point line. He had an open look he didn't make it.

Also if Gavin doesn't commit 4 out of 5 lazy fouls that is him on the high ball screen roll.
Also if Daniels could do anything that's him in the game on that play.. Says a lot when we are trusting a freshman in like his 8th college game and on the road in that situation over a SR.
And like IYOK said that's what Aric is an extend 4. I bet you the kid is knocking that shot down later in his career.. Not saying I liked it that situation but it was a wide open look at a 3..
The biggest miss was the Daniels air ball from just outside the paint.. He might be one of the softest players ever at MSU..

And with the last shot... I would not have chosen IJ to take it.. But we gave Chicken the ball against Texas Am and he didn't even get a shot off in a similar situation down the stretch ..
IJ had a good look you have to knock it down..

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Ready
Malik
Q
Holman
Ware

Saturday's starting lineup?

We're 0-5 in sec play. We aren't getting postseason. This would definitely be my starting lineup. Potentially 4 starters return next year

Ready-are your serious? I would have
Chicken
Newman
Q
Flat top
Ware

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Also if Gavin doesn't commit 4 out of 5 lazy fouls that is him on the high ball screen roll.
Also if Daniels could do anything that's him in the game on that play.. Says a lot when we are trusting a freshman in like his 8th college game and on the road in that situation over a SR.
And like IYOK said that's what Aric is an extend 4. I bet you the kid is knocking that shot down later in his career.. Not saying I liked it that situation but it was a wide open look at a 3..
The biggest miss was the Daniels air ball from just outside the paint.. He might be one of the softest players ever at MSU..

And with the last shot... I would not have chosen IJ to take it.. But we gave Chicken the ball against Texas Am and he didn't even get a shot off in a similar situation down the stretch ..
IJ had a good look you have to knock it down..

When Travis couldn't get out of JUCO we should have said see-ya. Could have Pollard playing now. Damn Pollard for Daniels, how freacking Stupid was Ray? Travis a poster boy for "Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane".

engie
01-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Malik
Q
Sword
Holman
Ware

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Howland played a 4 guard lineup for most of the 2nd half last night. He had Ready, Newman, Sword and Q playing with Ware/Zupp/Holman. Daniels and Fred got banished to Siberia last night. All 3 of our 'bigs" fouled out too.

msstate7
01-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Ready-are your serious? I would have
Chicken
Newman
Q
Flat top
Ware

Just giving a realistic lineup. Howland isn't benching ready. Ready probably avg's the most mins on the team

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 12:11 PM
Just giving a realistic lineup. Howland isn't benching ready. Ready probably avg's the most mins on the team

might be the reason we are 0-5 in SEC. he can't defend and He is a ball hog-he is hesitant to pass to Q or Newman. What does he bring to the table? What points he scores are negated by the points he gives up. if you need a basket just postup Ready and it is automatic.

And if you think he is going to bench Chicken you have not been paying attention. he was 2nd team all -SEC

msstate7
01-20-2016, 12:16 PM
might be the reason we are 0-5 in SEC. he can't defend and He is a ball hog-he is hesitant to pass to Q or Newman. What does he bring to the table? What points he scores are negated by the points he gives up. if you need a basket just postup Ready and it is automatic.

And if you think he is going to bench Chicken you have not been paying attention. he was 2nd team all -SEC

Yeah, I didn't think it thru too well haha.

engie
01-20-2016, 12:35 PM
It's pretty clear he's not benching Ready at this point -- but I wish he would and I certainly don't think it would make us any worse.

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 12:40 PM

Howland's hands are tied. He can't bench Ready because Ready is the only player capable of being able to dribble the ball for extended periods of time. Basically Newman is a gigantic bust at point guard. He isn't a bust as a player. He has nice upside and an NBA ready shooting touch but he is not what we expected at point guard when BH decided to take Tookie's scholarship away.

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 05:17 PM
I hear you 61, but it is not like Ready is a great ball handler.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-20-2016, 05:25 PM

I think it's more that he doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Dawg61
01-20-2016, 05:54 PM

I know you don't like Ready but he can dribble the ball pretty damn well. He doesn't fumble it, he doesn't travel with it and he isn't looking to immediately give it up to anyone else like MN does. Ready isn't even the 5th reason down the list of why we suck.

Big4Dawg
01-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Howland's hands are tied. He can't bench Ready because Ready is the only player capable of being able to dribble the ball for extended periods of time. Basically Newman is a gigantic bust at point guard. He isn't a bust as a player. He has nice upside and an NBA ready shooting touch but he is not what we expected at point guard when BH decided to take Tookie's scholarship away.

Not this conversation again....
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnCTxhW2EJoAzrG/giphy.gif

confucius say
01-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Ready played well offensively last night, and wasn't bad defensively. I actually agree with 61 on this, ready is way down the list on our problems. If we had any kind of serviceable depth at the 5 and a true stretch 4 (which is crazy we don't bc ray proclaimed ad nauseam it was the most important position for him) we would be in decent shape.

confucius say
01-20-2016, 06:17 PM
Not this conversation again....
https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnCTxhW2EJoAzrG/giphy.gif

Tookie is not what this team is missing.

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 10:27 PM
I think that part of Holman's game is he can shoot the three. Just like Zup. Maybe the three he missed wasn't the shot we wanted at that time, but shooting the 3 is part of his game.

the59dawg
01-20-2016, 11:38 PM
That 8ft shot was Daniels not Holman.

You are too good. You got me. I stand corrected.