PDA

View Full Version : 0-7 in games decided by six points or less.

messageboardsuperhero
01-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Granted the officiating was horrifically one-sided all night. They called twice as many fouls on us as they did UF. I believe they only called one over the back on UF all night when it easily could have been 10- and that "block" call on Daniels in transition is about as bad of a call as a D1 official could make.

That said, we remain the most un-clutch team in college basketball. It's all mental and totally inexcusable for a team with as many upperclassmen as we do. When does the class of '16 report for class?

TXDawg
01-19-2016, 10:56 PM
This one is on Howland. Down 1 with 18.5 to play, how do you not call a timeout to set up your final shot. I know...with the new rules, the bench can't call a live ball TO, but on our final possession, our bench was calling a play, not telling the the floor guys to call a TO.

I know Sword is a ball hog and Ready isn't a D1 point guard, but your coaching staff has to be smart enough to call for a TO in that situation.

chef dixon
01-19-2016, 10:57 PM
The most disappointing thing about this season is we actually shoot the ball quite well, which was just plain horrific in the Ray era.

Big4Dawg
01-19-2016, 11:14 PM
This one is on Howland. Down 1 with 18.5 to play, how do you not call a timeout to set up your final shot. I know...with the new rules, the bench can't call a live ball TO, but on our final possession, our bench was calling a play, not telling the the floor guys to call a TO.

I know Sword is a ball hog and Ready isn't a D1 point guard, but your coaching staff has to be smart enough to call for a TO in that situation.

We clearly had a play designed from the TO during the free throws.

TXDawg
01-19-2016, 11:45 PM
We clearly had a play designed from the TO during the free throws.

Maybe the coaching staff had a designed play, but the players clearly didn't know what it was.

Big4Dawg
01-19-2016, 11:50 PM
we had an iso at the top with all the players near the baseline, and all started to move at the same time. Just poor execution.

whosyourdawgy
01-20-2016, 01:58 AM
It's just obvious to me that these seniors and the junior just can't win a close game. I'm ready to just get these young guys some experience and get the Ray guys gone and start year 2 w Howland with all new blood and all his players. Process IJ and start a new. And hope like hell the stink that left with them didn't stick on the freshmen. I actually had higher expectations for these seniors and junior but they are just a lost cause it seems. Love them to death but they just can't win games that matter.

This Saturday, Ole Miss will be without Saiz and possibly Newby and maybe Moody's hamstring will keep him out too. If we lose Saturday, this could be a really really long season. I thought for sure we could make the NIT with 4 seniors and experienced junior with the incoming freshmen talent. I don't see a way for that to remotely happen at this point.

thf24
01-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Maybe the coaching staff had a designed play, but the players clearly didn't know what it was.

Is that all that surprising from the players we've watched for the past three years?

It's clear at this point that those who played under Ray don't know how to win and weren't developed much in the basketball IQ department. Howland and staff have made some mistakes thus far, yes, but the main issue is they just don't have much to work with.

engie
01-20-2016, 09:19 AM
This team finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. You guys really ever thought we were going to win that game last night?

Liverpooldawg
01-20-2016, 09:20 AM
In all fairness they are getting better. They just don't know how to win. What they need in the worst way is to somehow win one of these close ones. Win the first one and a few more will follow.

tcdog70
01-20-2016, 10:50 AM
memo to Howland--Don't let Ready touch the ball in the clutch. How about only Newman or Q? I'll take my chances, with the freshmen.

maroonmania
01-20-2016, 11:56 AM
We are actually fairly consistent. If we play a good team we play well, that is well enough to stay close or get it close in the end but not well enough to win. If we play an average team THAT is when we choose to play rather poorly so that again, we still keep the game competitive but lose. All of our wins have come against poor teams for the most part. Tulane is below average and I really haven't kept up with EWU to see if that ended up being a decent win or not. I'm sort of glad I wasn't in a situation to view the game last night because it would have been sickening to actually sit and watch us choke another close game away especially when you KNOW in that situation its going to happen even before it happens as you watch.