PDA

View Full Version : 2016 QB battle.....

Taog Redloh
01-19-2016, 12:22 PM
So it's Staley vs. Tiano in the spring. Fitz probably still the front-runner at the end of the day. Williams still chillin'.

Talentwise, they probably go in this order: Staley, Tiano, Fitz, Williams

Maturity, they probably go: Williams, Fitz, Tiano, Staley

So, it seems to me they are all damn near equal. One thing I think we can be sure of - one of Staley or Fitz either will not be on the roster in 2017, or will have changed positions.

My question is this: Are any of these guys athletic enough to play WR or TE? I bet they all are. So that said, I am hoping we can keep them all on the roster. Spare me the "HOW CAN yousss TALK like that !!11 lulz delete" stuff, I am just discussing our options. It's inevitable that they all can't play QB at the same time. I think we'd all love to see Staley pull a Cam Newton and Fitz pull a Matt Jones and both get drafted. Many had our doubts about Staley but his revelation on basketball tells me that he is growing up and starting to make good decisions.

msstate7
01-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Fitz played wr his junior year I think

mic
01-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Fitz surgery is minor.. Just cleaning some stuff up..
He will be ready by spring from what I heard..

Yeah should be a good battle. Whoever wins it , we will be in very good hands..

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Fitz played wr his junior year I think
He was an All-Region WR.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 12:49 PM
This maturity angle on Staley is being really overblown & exaggerated.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 12:52 PM
It sure is. What some don't want to see because he has been hurt the whole time he has been at MSU, Staley from an upside standpoint is the most physically gifted QB we have ever had. Just needs to put it all together

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 12:55 PM
Another thing people never mention with Staley is his intelligence. He's made the honor roll every year he's been on campus & has been apart of the SEC Academic Honor Roll as well.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 12:56 PM
That's a mature approach to school

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Another thing people never mention with Staley is his intelligence. He's made the honor roll every year he's been on campus & has been apart of the SEC Academic Honor Roll as well.

Perception is reality. You can be both smart and immature at the same time. Johnny Football is probably pretty smart books wise but he's a straight dumbass in the world's eye. Eli Staley has more JFF in him than he does Peyton Manning.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Perception is reality. You can be both smart and immature at the same time. Johnny Football is probably pretty smart books wise but he's a straight dumbass in the world's eye. Eli Staley has more JFF in him than he does Peyton Manning.

What has Elijah done "IN COLLEGE" that has remotely been similar to anything JFF did?

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Lord I hope so. Peyton would get killed in Mullen's offense

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:13 PM
What has Elijah done "IN COLLEGE" that has remotely been similar to anything JFF did?

Don't get pissed at me for narrating the world's "rules". I didn't make the rules and I don't like the rules.

Johnson85
01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Perception is reality.

I don't think you understand what people mean by this phrase. It's not applicable here at all and really makes me wonder what you think you are saying. Mullen is not going to sit a good player on the bench because uninformed fans have a negative perception of him from something he did in highs chool or from him dancing on the sidelines.

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
Lord I hope so. Peyton would get killed in ******* offense

Lol this is funny. Mullen's offense would not be ideal for Peyton. Haha

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:17 PM
I don't think you understand what people mean by this phrase. It's not applicable here at all and really makes me wonder what you think you are saying.

Hmmm alright. Thanks

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Don't get pissed at me for narrating the world's "rules". I didn't make the rules and I don't like the rules.

Pissed? All I did was ask for an example of this JFF behavior.

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:25 PM
Pissed? All I did was ask for an example of this JFF behavior.

Goofing off all game every game on the sidelines, synchronizing bench cheers for the basketball team, clowning to the camera, pouting in front of the camera while Meagan Mullen consoles you and doing the Cam Newton celebration on our 50 yardline are JFF like in behavior. I enjoy watching JFF play football too. You asked. I supplied.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Goofing off all game every game on the sidelines, synchronizing bench cheers for the basketball team, clowning to the camera, pouting in front of the camera while Meagan Mullen consoles you and doing the Cam Newton celebration on our 50 yardline are JFF like in behavior. I enjoy watching JFF play football too. You asked. I supplied.

So you don't like it that he has a good time? You want him to be serious & stern. I don't really consider that JFF behavior but OK.

BrunswickDawg
01-19-2016, 01:30 PM
[urlhttps://stateofthebay.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/debbie-downer.jpg

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:38 PM
So you don't like it that he has a good time? You want him to be serious & stern. I don't really consider that JFF behavior but OK.

Me giving you examples in no way reflects my actual feelings towards Staley or the situation. You asked. I gave you examples. Yes Staley being more serious & stern would be more like Peyton and less like JFF.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 01:40 PM
Me giving you examples in no way reflects my actual feelings towards Staley or the situation. You asked. I gave you examples. Yes Staley being more serious & stern would be more like Peyton and less like JFF.

That's true but I could also say those examples you gave me are more like Cam than JFF. It's just however you want to look at it.

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
So it's Staley vs. Tiano in the spring. Fitz probably still the front-runner at the end of the day. Williams still chillin'.

Talentwise, they probably go in this order: Staley, Tiano, Fitz, Williams

Maturity, they probably go: Williams, Fitz, Tiano, Staley

So, it seems to me they are all damn near equal. One thing I think we can be sure of - one of Staley or Fitz either will not be on the roster in 2017, or will have changed positions.

My question is this: Are any of these guys athletic enough to play WR or TE? I bet they all are. So that said, I am hoping we can keep them all on the roster. Spare me the "HOW CAN yousss TALK like that !!11 lulz delete" stuff, I am just discussing our options. It's inevitable that they all can't play QB at the same time. I think we'd all love to see Staley pull a Cam Newton and Fitz pull a Matt Jones and both get drafted. Many had our doubts about Staley but his revelation on basketball tells me that he is growing up and starting to make good decisions.

Nice troll thread btw Goat

mcain31
01-19-2016, 01:41 PM

61, I just think that you are out of touch

Sacrifice
01-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Well hell, I guess I'll be the one to defend poor little Fitz. I don't see Staley, Tiano or Williams beating out Fitz, barring injury. Plus I don't see where any of the other QBs have ANY advantage on him at all. Speed? nope, arm strength? nope (ask D Gray about that) pocket awareness? nope, ability to read the option? Nope. Leadership? Maybe, who knows.
Williams may have a small experience advantage and Staley may be more of a power runner but that's about it.
I'm extremely excited about this kid. I think we have a Brett Favre type deal here. I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as Favre but here's a kid that mainly ran the ball in HS and comes in with this rocket arm and huge big play potential. I'm sure Dan will say it's a competition because that's what coaches do but I'd be shocked if it's not Fitz and its nothing to do with Staley's maturity to me. It's about what I've seen from Fitz.

msudawglb
01-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Well hell, I guess I'll be the one to defend poor little Fitz. I don't see Staley, Tiano or Williams beating out Fitz, barring injury. Plus I don't see where any of the other QBs have ANY advantage on him at all. Speed? nope, arm strength? nope (ask D Gray about that) pocket awareness? nope, ability to read the option? Nope. Leadership? Maybe, who knows.
Williams may have a small experience advantage and Staley may be more of a power runner but that's about it.
I'm extremely excited about this kid. I think we have a Brett Favre type deal here. I'm not saying he's gonna be as good as Favre but here's a kid that mainly ran the ball in HS and comes in with this rocket arm and huge big play potential. I'm sure Dan will say it's a competition because that's what coaches do but I'd be shocked if it's not Fitz and its nothing to do with Staley's maturity to me. It's about what I've seen from Fitz.

I'm with you on this...I think it will be Fitz. I will say that when he came in for that one play in the bowl game, I was disappointed in his physical appearance. His arms still looked like HS size. If he's going to carry the load this year in this offense, he's going to have to hit the weights and get more muscle.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 01:51 PM
I agree with everything you have said about Fitz. But how can you make the assumption he wins the job without seeing a healthy Staley? That's my whole point

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 01:52 PM
That's true but I could also say those examples you gave me are more like Cam than JFF. It's just however you want to look at it.

True they are more like Cam than JFF so maybe Cam is the better example. JFF is a drunk asshole off the field and a punk on it. Staley has never once shown signs of struggling with alcoholism like JFF. Cam is a freak of nature QB though. He is a once in a lifetime athlete excelling at QB in the NFL. He is probably the NFL MVP this year. Emulating his play is great for Staley. If Staley can be half as great as Cam he will be a star for us. Hope he can do it.

Jack Lambert
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Out of the four, two red shirted, one played a few snaps and the other played when Dak was out. There is a reason why. I say the one who played when Dak was out get the start.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 01:57 PM
True they are more like Cam than JFF so maybe Cam is the better example. JFF is a drunk asshole off the field and a punk on it. Staley has never once shown signs of struggling with alcoholism like JFF. Cam is a freak of nature QB though. He is a once in a lifetime athlete excelling at QB in the NFL. He is probably the NFL MVP this year. Emulating his play is great for Staley. If Staley can be half as great as Cam he will be a star for us. Hope he can do it.

100% agree with everything you said. The JFF comparison just threw me off because he never worked hard & all he did was party & drink. In college & now in the pros. Like you said if Staley can be half as good as Cam he'd be amazing.

Sacrifice
01-19-2016, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=ElitedawgRecruiting;488502]I agree with everything you have said about Fitz. But how can you make the assumption he wins the job without seeing a healthy Staley? That's my whole point[/QUOTE

It's mainly because Fitz has looked like a phenomenon and Staley can't get on the field. That TD pass Fitz made to D Gray while almost getting sacked was something special and those 2 bombs to Wilson were NFL quality throws. I believe we have something special here. I don't think he'll put up the TDs Dak did but I think he's a freakin gamer like Favre.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-19-2016, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=ElitedawgRecruiting;488502]I agree with everything you have said about Fitz. But how can you make the assumption he wins the job without seeing a healthy Staley? That's my whole point[/QUOTE

It's mainly because Fitz has looked like a phenomenon and Staley can't get on the field. That TD pass Fitz made to D Gray while almost getting sacked was something special and those 2 bombs to Wilson were NFL quality throws. I believe we have something special here. I don't think he'll put up the TDs Dak did but I think he's a freakin gamer like Favre.

This isn't a vote for Staley or Fitz but I think people are taking those 20 extra carries & 9 extra passes in garbage time a lot more serious than they should. Does he have a few more snaps on the field yes but let's not act like he's been ask to make game winning decisions. It will be a battle & a contest & the best kid will win but it is far from a settled contest.

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 02:06 PM
I agree with everything you have said about Fitz. But how can you make the assumption he wins the job without seeing a healthy Staley? That's my whole point

Staley's 60 yard bomb was the prettiest pass anyone has ever thrown in the history of MSU football. I like all of our QBs. Williams included. Dan has done a fantastic job at the QB position.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 02:10 PM
And I say Again. Staley hasn't been healthy. Let's let them battle it out. We have great qb battle. No doubt

DancingRabbit
01-19-2016, 02:11 PM

I tend to agree. During the spring game and this fall Fitz looked very good.

Obviously we haven't seen much of Staley (unless you're at practices). That long TD pass was picture-perfect, but Fitz has thrown some nice long balls too.

We appear to be in good shape. Let the competition commence.

Sacrifice
01-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Staley's 60 yard bomb was the prettiest pass anyone has ever thrown in the history of MSU football. I like all of our QBs. Williams included. Dan has done a fantastic job at the QB position.

Did you see the D Gray TD pass? Fitz Damn near got sacked, avoided it and threw a 40 yard bomb off one foot and hit gray in the end zone right in stride. It was a thing of beauty!
I just don't understand why people are not excited about this kid.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 02:14 PM
I don't think anyone said we weren't excited about Fitz. I just don't understand why y'all aren't excited about Staley. It's gonna be a heckuva battle. But don't be surprised if Staley wins.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2016, 02:17 PM
A'int this a great problem to have! I remember back in the old days hoping we would have a QB that could complete 50% of his passes. My how times have changed!

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Did you see the D Gray TD pass? Fitz Damn near got sacked, avoided it and threw a 40 yard bomb off one foot and hit gray in the end zone right in stride. It was a thing of beauty!
I just don't understand why people are not excited about this kid.

Can anyone post the two TD passes? Let's compare them. I love Fitz btw but I am in the small minority that wants to see both Staley & Fitz play. I also want to see Williams play so I guess I stand alone in wanting to see all 3 play. Tiano may be the best of the bunch but playing 4 QBs is just ridiculous so he can play Clipboard Carl this next year.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Amen. I remember sitting around hoping a 2 star wide receiver picks us in crooms early years

Sacrifice
01-19-2016, 02:22 PM
A'int this a great problem to have! I remember back in the old days hoping we would have a QB that could complete 50% of his passes. My how times have changed!

YES!! Never in my lifetime have we been in this good of shape with QBs. For soooo long we were so far behind everybody else as far as a passing game it was ridiculous.

DancingRabbit
01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Can anyone post the two TD passes? Let's compare them. I love Fitz btw but I am in the small minority that wants to see both Staley & Fitz play. I also want to see Williams play so I guess I stand alone in wanting to see all 3 play. Tiano may be the best of the bunch but playing 4 QBs is just ridiculous so he can play Clipboard Carl this next year.

http://www.secsports.com/video/13693598/e-staley-passto-j-morrow-37-yds-td

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13693746

Jack Lambert
01-19-2016, 02:28 PM

We will have two of the three under classmen transfer. Talking to a former QB at state he said that Tiano is the best athlete, the best leader and everyone on the teams really likes him. Don't count him out but he thought Fritz would get the go this season.

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 02:31 PM

Wow thank you for posting these. Both are beautiful passes. Fitz's was certainly the more difficult throw. Staley's was prettier but Fitz's throw is better because he is avoiding the pass rusher while also throwing against his body and it's a longer throw. I stand corrected after rewatching the two throws.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2016, 02:33 PM
I'm 51 and I've seen a lot of bad MSU offenses in my time and while Dan may not be perfect he sure has fixed a lot of things we been missing in our 100+ years of football.

confucius say
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm 51 and I've seen a lot of bad MSU offenses in my time and while Dan may not be perfect he sure has fixed a lot of things we been missing in our 100+ years of football.

Shhh. We'd prefer he leave****(sarcastericks apply only for some of us)

Sacrifice
01-19-2016, 02:43 PM
If we don't get our freakin OL fixed, we may be playing all 4 of them next season.

Taog Redloh
01-19-2016, 02:48 PM
I don't think anyone said we weren't excited about Fitz. I just don't understand why y'all aren't excited about Staley. It's gonna be a heckuva battle. But don't be surprised if Staley wins.
So, can Fitzgerald realistically play another position, in this case?

Taog Redloh
01-19-2016, 02:49 PM
He was an All-Region WR.
So we know he's an athlete.

DancingRabbit
01-19-2016, 02:50 PM
If we don't get our freakin OL fixed, we may be playing all 4 of them next season.

Yet this last season was our healthiest for QBs in a while.

Not disagreeing about getting better line play, but it seems injuries are often just the luck of the draw.

Commercecomet24
01-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Shhh. We'd prefer he leave****(sarcastericks apply only for some of us)

Now that's funny!

Taog Redloh
01-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Nice troll thread btw Goat
Feeling guilty or something?

HoopsDawg
01-19-2016, 02:52 PM

No one can question Dan's ability to develop QB's. It's his greatest strength.

Sacrifice
01-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Yet this last season was our healthiest for QBs in a while.

Not disagreeing about getting better line play, but it seems injuries are often just the luck of the draw.
Haha that's messed up but your right.

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
So, can Fitzgerald realistically play another position, in this case?

Feeling guilty or something?

About what? Here's you flaming the fire of your own troll thread. You giggling like a little school girl in your Bo Wallace jersey right now.

Jack Lambert
01-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Haha that's messed up but your right.

What's more messed up is when we shuffled the line around due to injuries seems the line played better.

Taog Redloh
01-19-2016, 03:50 PM
About what? Here's you flaming the fire of your own troll thread. You giggling like a little school girl in your Bo Wallace jersey right now.
That definitely got a chuckle out of me.

Here's to ya, you grumpy old bastard.

http://i.imgur.com/16wPwuD.jpg

Dawg61
01-19-2016, 06:54 PM
That definitely got a chuckle out of me.

Here's to ya, you grumpy old bastard.

http://i.imgur.com/16wPwuD.jpg

Haha that's Cadaver though

gravedigger
01-19-2016, 07:14 PM

You probably need to speak to a msu fan over 40 years of age. Crooms years minus 2007 werent the worst 4 year stretch.

Todd4State
01-19-2016, 09:21 PM
We will have two of the three under classmen transfer. Talking to a former QB at state he said that Tiano is the best athlete, the best leader and everyone on the teams really likes him. Don't count him out but he thought Fritz would get the go this season.

Unless it's an extremely rare special talent like a Peyton Manning, you don't want a freshman at QB in the SEC.

I do think that Tiano will do really well when his time comes however.

fishwater99
01-20-2016, 12:24 AM

Fits throws a great deep ball, better than Dak could.
I really don't see how he isn't the starter next year.

mcain31
01-20-2016, 12:42 PM
I see it as a 3 horse race that may not be decided until game 2 vs South Carolina.

SamHill
01-20-2016, 03:39 PM
One thing Mullen's has proven without a doubt is that he knows how to prepare and coach a QB. I am not concerned about that position. I worry about OL and RB. Spring will tell the tale.

SamHill
01-20-2016, 03:40 PM
One thing Mullen's has proven without a doubt is that he knows how to prepare and coach a QB. I am not concerned about that position. I worry about OL and RB. Spring will tell the tale. (Sorry for the double Post)