View Full Version : MSU's Offense of the Future

BeastMan
08-08-2013, 12:25 PM
http://3rdand57.com/msus-offense-of-the-future/

Mullen Cant Croot!!1!1!1!11!!!********

CadaverDawg
08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Everyone needs to read this.

This is what I have been saying for two years, and BeastMan just broke it down perfectly. This is why I have been somewhat anxious for the Russell era to end in Starkville. Not because of Tyler, but because I'm anxious to get back to that Michigan Gator Bowl style of offense that Mullen is capable of. It has been a fun few years of Tyler, and hopefully we can have a big one this year with him too....but boy am I excited about the next few years.

The ONE thing you left out though, BeastMan, was the offensive line. And understandably so. They are the most underwhelming of the offensive groups when looking ahead, but only because we have not needed any of the young guys yet. It is exciting to know that regardless of who our 2014-2016 line consists of...they will have been in the system for 2,3,or even 4 years when they make their first start due to redshirting. That is exciting in and of itself.

Of course, we also have the JUCO guys that we will have on the OLine as well that I didn't mention.

Great read man.

messageboardsuperhero
08-08-2013, 01:22 PM
It looks like we're going to be very big and very physical in the future. It'll be nice to have that "We'll run your ass over" mentality again.

Tyler and Perkins are good, but that's something that they just can't do.

ShotgunDawg
08-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Great article Beast. It begs the question: Is Mullen a better GM or coach? He has done an outstanding job of building this roster, without impressing the recruiting analysts. Its going to be funny when they start raising their hands this year or next when they can't figure out how Mullen is winning with 3 and 4 star players.

They won't like it at all because it marginalizes the purpose of their websites.

Barking 13
08-08-2013, 01:29 PM

This is what I have been saying for two years, and BeastMan just broke it down perfectly. This is why I have been somewhat anxious for the Russell era to end in Starkville. Not because of Tyler, but because I'm anxious to get back to that Michigan Gator Bowl style of offense that Mullen is capable of. It has been a fun few years of Tyler, and hopefully we can have a big one this year with him too....but boy am I excited about the next few years.

The ONE thing you left out though, BeastMan, was the offensive line. And understandably so. They are the most underwhelming of the offensive groups when looking ahead, but only because we have not needed any of the young guys yet. It is exciting to know that regardless of who our 2014-2016 line consists of...they will have been in the system for 2,3,or even 4 years when they make their first start due to redshirting. That is exciting in and of itself.

Of course, we also have the JUCO guys that we will have on the OLine as well that I didn't mention.

Great read man.

Dadgummit CD, you read my mind once again....

Political Hack
08-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Dak in a read option with Artimus leading the way for Shump... that's sounds like a lot of thunder.

messageboardsuperhero
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm not terribly worried about the OL in the future. Desper, Senior, Clayborne, and Carter have all looked really good in practice, relative to their ages. We've still got Malone for a few more years. Flowers will be progressing. I know people say Thomas hasn't looked good, but he's just a true freshman. We've also got the guys from Georgia coming in, as well as the JUCOs. All these players will have more experience by then anyway.

The real question is, will Hevesy still be here in a couple of years?

deltadawg99
08-08-2013, 01:49 PM
I am a big TR fan and I think he'll have a big year. He played well for the most part last year, but I think Mullen didn't really know what to do with a QB that couldn't run. Anytime TR would run the option I would cringe. He can get 5 yards here and there but he certainly is going to out run or run over anybody like Dak. I think the play calling this year with vastly improve now that they know what to do with him.

I can't wait to see the offense in the future. We finally have size/skill at the skill positions and have depth that they don't have to play right away. If we can continue to recruit a mixture of size and speed at the skill spots and improve our OL depth, than it will be really really fun to watch.

hailmari
08-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I noticed you left off Nick Griffin. I hope he can make up for lost time his senior season and possibly this year too.

hailmari
08-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Dak in a read option with Artimus leading the way for Shump... that's sounds like a lot of thunder.

This got me pumped. Thunder clap!

Goat Holder
08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
What happens when we go 9-3 this year, Russell gets drafted, Mullen gets a big offer and moves on, then Hudspeth comes to MSU?

This stuff changes in an instant.

msstate7
08-08-2013, 02:09 PM
What happens when we go 9-3 this year, Russell gets drafted, Mullen gets a big offer and moves on, then Hudspeth comes to MSU?

This stuff changes in an instant.

I don't know, but I'd love to find out

BeastMan
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
@Cadaver

I didn't do OL just b/c there so hard to project. Also, our skill guys are more indicative of what style of offense we will run than the big ugglies.

@halimari

I left off anyone a JR or above, except for at TE where I thought it was necessary to show the type of athlete Mullen wants there. There are only so many TE's and I wanted to show a bigger sample size. The reason I left off JR's and up is b/c Im talking far beyond after this year and Jr's only play 1 more. Not saying they're insignificant, just not my aim for my article.

Johnson85
08-08-2013, 02:43 PM
The biggest difference looking forward is that outside of Dak at qb, we're not stuck with any of those positions where we have one guy that has to pan out, or we're screwed. Even if we misevaluated a couple of players, we're going to have SEC talent at every position listed. We shouldn't be stuck without a deep threat like we were last year (and possibly could be this year) or stuck without a good bruiser at RB. Just have to shore up the OL.

Next year:
LT Blaine Clausell 6-7 310 Jr.
LG Ben Beckwith 6-3 305 Jr. Maybe put Day over here if Desper can play center?
C Dillon Day 6-4 300 Jr.
RG Justin Malone 6-7 320 So.
RT Damien Robinson 6-8 335 Jr. Hopefully we'll find a JUCO for this position

In two years, have:
Dillon Day locked in at Guard or Center.
Justin Malone locked in at Guard

Then need to find two OT and a OG/C from JUCO and the following:

71 Cole Carter OL 6-6 290 Fr. RS Caledonia, MS (Caledonia HS)
60 Jammal Clayborn OL 6-4 315 Fr. HS Jackson, MS (Jackson Academy)
79 Hunter Cunningham OL 6-4 320 So. SQ Maben, MS (East Webster HS)
62 Devon Desper OL 6-3 300 Fr. RS Madison, MS (Madison Central HS)
74 Kent Flowers OL 6-5 300 Fr. HS Hollandale, MS (Simmons HS)
58 Justin Senior OL 6-5 300 Fr. RS Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Hargrave [VA] Military Academy)
76 Jake Thomas OL 6-5 300 Fr. HS Columbus, MS (Columbus HS)

I don't keep up enough to know, but all of the options above at least have the right size to play in the SEC, and I think at least Thomas, Flowers, and Desper were decently rated. Surely between those options and JUCO we will be able to put together a solid starting line with at least a solid backup tackle and backup OG/C.

Todd4State
08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
The biggest difference looking forward is that outside of Dak at qb, we're not stuck with any of those positions where we have one guy that has to pan out, or we're screwed. Even if we misevaluated a couple of players, we're going to have SEC talent at every position listed. We shouldn't be stuck without a deep threat like we were last year (and possibly could be this year) or stuck without a good bruiser at RB. Just have to shore up the OL.

Next year:
LT Blaine Clausell 6-7 310 Jr.
LG Ben Beckwith 6-3 305 Jr. Maybe put Day over here if Desper can play center?
C Dillon Day 6-4 300 Jr.
RG Justin Malone 6-7 320 So.
RT Damien Robinson 6-8 335 Jr. Hopefully we'll find a JUCO for this position

In two years, have:
Dillon Day locked in at Guard or Center.
Justin Malone locked in at Guard

Then need to find two OT and a OG/C from JUCO and the following:

71 Cole Carter OL 6-6 290 Fr. RS Caledonia, MS (Caledonia HS)
60 Jammal Clayborn OL 6-4 315 Fr. HS Jackson, MS (Jackson Academy)
79 Hunter Cunningham OL 6-4 320 So. SQ Maben, MS (East Webster HS)
62 Devon Desper OL 6-3 300 Fr. RS Madison, MS (Madison Central HS)
74 Kent Flowers OL 6-5 300 Fr. HS Hollandale, MS (Simmons HS)
58 Justin Senior OL 6-5 300 Fr. RS Montreal, Quebec, Canada (Hargrave [VA] Military Academy)
76 Jake Thomas OL 6-5 300 Fr. HS Columbus, MS (Columbus HS)

I don't keep up enough to know, but all of the options above at least have the right size to play in the SEC, and I think at least Thomas, Flowers, and Desper were decently rated. Surely between those options and JUCO we will be able to put together a solid starting line with at least a solid backup tackle and backup OG/C.

Desper will be our center of the future, but it would make more sense to leave Day at center and let Desper play guard for a year if it came down to it. I like Desper because he is nasty.

Next year, I think it will be:

LT Clausell
LG Norman Price
C Day
RG Justin Malone
RT Jocquell Johnson

And I hope we get Avery Gennessey. I could see him winning a tackle spot as well potentially. We'll be able to rotate Desper in some at center, Beckwith at the guard spot, and then Damien Robinson some as well.

Johnson85
08-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Desper will be our center of the future, but it would make more sense to leave Day at center and let Desper play guard for a year if it came down to it. I like Desper because he is nasty.

Next year, I think it will be:

LT Clausell
LG Norman Price
C Day
RG Justin Malone
RT Jocquell Johnson

And I hope we get Avery Gennessey. I could see him winning a tackle spot as well potentially. We'll be able to rotate Desper in some at center, Beckwith at the guard spot, and then Damien Robinson some as well.

Price and Johnson are JUCO guys I take it?

Todd4State
08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes they are. Norman Price is from Hinds via Vicksburg HS, Jocquell Johnson is from Co-Lin via Callaway, and if we get Gennessey he is at East Mississippi JUCO via Southaven.

Two years from now, we could look like this if we get Gennessey:

LT Johnson
LG Price
c Desper
RG Malone
RT Gennessey

If we don't get Gennessey, it's probably going to be Cole Carter.

engie
08-08-2013, 04:33 PM
To be honest, if we get Gennesy to go with the other 2 JUCOs(and they start as Todd expects), some combination of Muniz, Robinson, and Beckwith should start to feel really uncomfortable. We've only got 15 spots to give(as of now) and a class that already has 15 in it...

Todd4State
08-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Beckwith is a walk-on.

engie
08-08-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Beckwith is a walk-on.

May have started out that way -- but I'm almost positive he's on scholarship now as a second teamer(and us having room to give out a few extras)...

Goat Holder
08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Desper will be our center of the future

Madison homer.

In reality, I hope Desper turns out great. What is he, a RFr. this year? He could be the backup next year then start his Jr. and Sr. years. No need to have him change positions. Malone is anchored at one guard already.

engie
08-08-2013, 07:44 PM
In reality, I hope Desper turns out great. What is he, a RFr. this year? He could be the backup next year then start his Jr. and Sr. years. No need to have him change positions. Malone is anchored at one guard already.

Agreed with this. Let's get him snaps this year in mop up, get him some meaningful snaps next year behind Day, and have him ready to go for his 4th and 5th years. That's the ideal OL development timeline for me...especially for Mississippi kids...

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2013, 11:21 PM

Great read man.

That one statement is a HUGE deal. That's how the elite programs do it, because most HS OL need 2-3 years of conditioning and technique work to be ready for SEC play. They got by on size and talent in HS, but that gets you nowhere against the freaks of nature on virtually every SEC DLine. It's only the rare physical freak that's ready to play on an SEC OLine straight out of HS. But we're used to having to force guys to play sooner than they should here, because we haven't stockpiled the numbers depth up front other programs have over the years. That's starting to change, and I think you'll see the benefits of it.

Todd4State
08-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Madison homer.

Desper is a really smart player. The kind of guy you want to have at center. Plus, he gets to learn from Dillon Day, a Remington finalist. And as you said, he gets two years to learn from Day. You couldn't ask for a more ideal situation if you are a center IMO. The thing that is different about Desper is he has size at 6'4 300 as well as the mean streak as well as the high football IQ. Because of that, I think he could play some guard for us if we absolutely had to have him do it. But there's not much reason to do it unless we have a ton of injuries.

A lot of people forget that Desper was an Under Armour All-American and played in the UA All-Star game after his senior year. It's just that he wasn't hyped because he missed most of his junior year in high school with a leg injury and he committed early, didn't waver, and didn't decide to do a hat fake party.

Todd4State
08-08-2013, 11:33 PM
That one statement is a HUGE deal. That's how the elite programs do it, because most HS OL need 2-3 years of conditioning and technique work to be ready for SEC play. They got by on size and talent in HS, but that gets you nowhere against the freaks of nature on virtually every SEC DLine. It's only the rare physical freak that's ready to play on an SEC OLine straight out of HS. But we're used to having to force guys to play sooner than they should here, because we haven't stockpiled the numbers depth up front other programs have over the years. That's starting to change, and I think you'll see the benefits of it.

Yes, having freshman and sophomores on the o-line is a recipe for a bad season in the SEC. Even if they are 4-5 star guys.

Todd4State
08-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Agreed with this. Let's get him snaps this year in mop up, get him some meaningful snaps next year behind Day, and have him ready to go for his 4th and 5th years. That's the ideal OL development timeline for me...especially for Mississippi kids...

It's hard to evaluate o-linemen as far as how they are going to turn out. I actually think going after JUCO guys is a pretty good idea for o-lnemen because it gives you two more years to evaluate them and it gives them about 20 more games of experience to work with. The three JUCO guys that we are recruiting- none of them were really big names out of high school. I do remember Paul talking about Jocquell Johnson and Avery Gennessey out of high school but nothing really too serious.

I think if we do that and continue to go after the blue chips- like Desper, Jake Thomas who I think will be a quality player for us somewhere on the o-line, Kent Flowers, and maybe occasionally roll the dice on a guy like Cole Carter, Justin Malone, or Jamal Clayborn- that's a pretty solid recipe for success.

biscuit
08-09-2013, 07:58 AM
But Mullen can't recruit and he has no plan for the future......that's what I've been told anyways

camsu
08-09-2013, 08:33 AM
Who do you see taking that LT slot in future? We seem to do well finding those Guards and centers but finding that LT seems to be very difficult. Of the 14 recruits and those on Board who's the future?

engie
08-09-2013, 09:30 AM
That one statement is a HUGE deal. That's how the elite programs do it, because most HS OL need 2-3 years of conditioning and technique work to be ready for SEC play.

I'd go so far as to say that EVERY one of them that we have signed in the past 10 years needed a rs year+mop up year before they were even remotely close to ready to get the majority of our snaps... Centers and Guards are fine to play in their second year as long as the two guys next to them are good and experienced -- but I'd prefer we didn't have to.

I think back to Sherrod in the 08 Egg Bowl and 08 season in general. Had Mullen been here, Sherrod would have redshirted in 07, and we'd probably have still had an elite OL in 2011 instead of it being the single weakness preventing us from winning another 9 games and remaining the darlings of the SEC for one more year.

SignalToNoise
08-09-2013, 09:58 AM
I think back to Sherrod in the 08 Egg Bowl and 08 season in general. Had Mullen been here, Sherrod would have redshirted in 07, and we'd probably have still had an elite OL in 2011 instead of it being the single weakness preventing us from winning another 9 games and remaining the darlings of the SEC for one more year.

Wow, great point. Never even thought of that before. We even had our chances to beat South Carolina that year using what we had.

Todd4State
08-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Who do you see taking that LT slot in future? We seem to do well finding those Guards and centers but finding that LT seems to be very difficult. Of the 14 recruits and those on Board who's the future?

LT is the most difficult position to fill. But, I think Cole Carter might be able to handle it in the future. Maybe Kent Flowers, although I've always thought he would be a guard.

Todd4State
08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I'd go so far as to say that EVERY one of them that we have signed in the past 10 years needed a rs year+mop up year before they were even remotely close to ready to get the majority of our snaps... Centers and Guards are fine to play in their second year as long as the two guys next to them are good and experienced -- but I'd prefer we didn't have to.

Just another example of Croom screwing us over. Would have been nice if he had at least tried to have gone after Anthony Steen and Kevin Norwood. It also would have been nice to have had enough depth to where we could have redshirted Bumphis, Chris Smith, and Cameron Lawrence. They all would have been fifth year seniors this year.

Johnson85
08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Just another example of Croom screwing us over. Would have been nice if he had at least tried to have gone after Anthony Steen and Kevin Norwood. It also would have been nice to have had enough depth to where we could have redshirted Bumphis, Chris Smith, and Cameron Lawrence. They all would have been fifth year seniors this year.

I think Bumphis was going to play regardless. He was pretty good as a freshman and highly rated enough that I think we probably had to promise early playing time.