PDA

View Full Version : Makes sense as to why Staley is leaving the basketball team

Coach34
01-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Fitz is in a sling and likely to miss Spring. Had a little work done cleaning that elbow.

Plenty of work and reps for Tiano and Staley now

HoopsDawg
01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Fitz is in a sling and likely to miss Spring. Had a little work done cleaning that elbow.

Wow, big news. Staley just became the favorite, imo.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Did not know that. That certainly changes things.

msstate7
01-18-2016, 02:17 PM
How realistic is it for tiano to make a run? I've heard he looks pretty good in practice

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Staley wins the job outright regardless

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2016, 02:20 PM
How realistic is it for tiano to make a run? I've heard he looks pretty good in practice

Not very. We know how Mullen does things. It's a two horse race with Fitz & Staley. Tiano will be lucky to bypass D-Will for QB3, if D-Will doesn't transfer.

gravedigger
01-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Contrary to some opinions, its very realistic. Fitz injury only changes # of 1st team snaps staley and tiano will see this spring. Tiano is coming along nicely.

Staley has some ground to catch up on.

sleepy dawg
01-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Surly Tiano is a must RS guy, right?

somebodyshotmypaw
01-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Surly Tiano is a must RS guy, right?

He just redshirted the 2015 season.

bulldawg28
01-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Contrary to some opinions, its very realistic. Fitz injury only changes # of 1st team snaps staley and tiano will see this spring. Tiano is coming along nicely.

Staley has some ground to catch up on.

If Fitz misses the entire spring there is no ground to catch up on he's the man until unseated.

gravedigger
01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
If Fitz misses the entire spring there is no ground to catch up on he's the man until unseated.

Believe what you will

Coach34
01-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Nobody will secure the job before August practice. I still believe we will play 2 QB's. Fitz's missing Spring only solidifies that

Dawg61
01-18-2016, 03:00 PM
if D-Will doesn't transfer.

WMD is going to push him out the door first. You're wrong about Williams. Your eye for QB talent is broken.

Bo_dawg3
01-18-2016, 03:04 PM
I'm not in favor of a 2 qb system ..... 99.9% it doesn't work out because of no game flow

Dawgface
01-18-2016, 03:18 PM
I wonder when Fitz hurt his elbow?

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
WMD is going to push him out the door first. You're wrong about Williams. Your eye for QB talent is broken.

I'm not pushing anyone out the door. Just repeating speculation I've heard and popular opinion. I've always been a fan of Williams. And prior to this past season, I thought he was getting a raw deal with all the hype around Fitz & Staley. But if you can't see how much more advanced Fitz and Staley are right now, then YOUR eye for QB talent is broken. Mullen didn't suddenly decide to redshirt his 2nd best QB and go a whole season with the guys he thinks are #3 and #4. Frankly, I'll take Mullen's evaluation of our QBs over yours. And he seems to think Fitz & Staley are the two best QBs on the roster now that Dak is officially gone.

HoopsDawg
01-18-2016, 03:51 PM
I'm not in favor of a 2 qb system ..... 99.9% it doesn't work out because of no game flow

A-Men. That's my biggest concern at QB-that mullen plays them both.

Big4Dawg
01-18-2016, 03:56 PM

I agree. Unless one 1 QB is mobile and 1 is a pocket passer, it is pointless.

Also, Staley is a left handed, and that would have an affect on the roll-outs and etc. So I hope one wins the job in the spring and the other accepts his job as the back-up.

Dawg61
01-18-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm not pushing anyone out the door. Just repeating speculation I've heard and popular opinion. I've always been a fan of Williams. And prior to this past season, I thought he was getting a raw deal with all the hype around Fitz & Staley. But if you can't see how much more advanced Fitz and Staley are right now, then YOUR eye for QB talent is broken. Mullen didn't suddenly decide to redshirt his 2nd best QB and go a whole season with the guys he thinks are #3 and #4. Frankly, I'll take Mullen's evaluation of our QBs over yours. And he seems to think Fitz & Staley are the two best QBs on the roster now that Dak is officially gone.

You're acting like Fitz didn't just have elbow surgery. The last thing we need to be doing is helping to pack DW's bags for him which is exactly what you're doing. We need some veteran leadership at QB after losing Dak. Williams has that. There's a lot of value there that you're seriously discounting just cause Fitz & Staley are sexier to you. I'll say it again. Your eye for QB talent is broken.

sleepy dawg
01-18-2016, 04:30 PM
my bad... i've lost my mind.

Maroon_and_white
01-18-2016, 04:31 PM

Or Williams wanted an opportunity to compete for the starting job in 2016 so he decided to redshirt? Curious how many practices and scrimmages you watched? D Williams is an accurate thrower and has experience. You sound like Fitz and Staley just blow Williams out the window. At the scrimmages I've seen, it's all pretty equal. Now which QB separates himself with leadership capability and overall knowledge of the offense? We'll see. Do Fitz and Staley probably have a higher ceiling because of innate talent than D Williams? Eh probably with their height. Staley probably has best arm strength from what I've seen, but this is a 4 horse race for QB of MSU in 2016

louisvilledawg
01-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Not very. We know how Mullen does things. It's a two horse race with Fitz & Staley. Tiano will be lucky to bypass D-Will for QB3, if D-Will doesn't transfer.

Honestly, why doesn't DWill transfer? I mean can he not read between the lines? Surely he knows that he will never play a meaningful snap again unless 2 or 3 guys gets hurt.

Don't understand why he wouldn't transfer to a swac school or somewhere similar and ball out for one last season.

msstate7
01-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Honestly, why doesn't DWill transfer? I mean can he not read between the lines? Surely he knows that he will never play a meaningful snap again unless 2 or 3 guys gets hurt.

Don't understand why he wouldn't transfer to a swac school or somewhere similar and ball out for one last season.

Maybe he wants his degree to be from miss state rather than a swac school

ShotgunDawg
01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
We'll play two QBs

What kind of effect does Staley being left-handed have?

Does that mean we need our best OL at RT?

Does that mean that Myles Garrett changes what side of the line play on?

I really have no clue. Is having a left handed QB like playing ping pong left handed. It keeps the opponent from being able to play to their strength?

defiantdog
01-18-2016, 04:59 PM
Tiano isn't ready to run the offense.... Yet. But he can throw it 100 yards.

Dawg61
01-18-2016, 05:13 PM

Why would you want the only healthy QB on our roster with starting experience to transfer? Real brilliant idea

Hotdawg66
01-18-2016, 06:37 PM
NT

Quaoarsking
01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Remember a few years ago when Louisiana-Monroe had 2 QBs, one lefty and one righty, and both mobile, out there on the field at the same time? They didn't run it every play, but they had some neat run/pass options with it.

Maybe we'll see something like that on occasion next year. Fitz and Staley should have the skill set to run it.

pdawg10msu
01-18-2016, 08:05 PM
Talked to Nicks dad this weekend. Surgery was minor and that they say he will be throwing again in 2 weeks. Said they elected to do it now so he could go through spring with no problems.

This is also what I heard.

gravedigger
01-18-2016, 08:31 PM

No but you are willfully ignoring the obvious and seem to have poor sources.

Look at snaps fitz vs staley. Look at games played. Look at when they played.

The answer is obvious. Fitz wouldnt have had minor surgury if his job was in the line fir doing so.

Get used to this. Fitz is the starter until fall when Tiano and Staley have a shot at unseating him. Fitz was the first to sub dak this year. E v e r y time.

The queation is now : what is the progress of the williams tiano staley battle?

Yall can make this some drama that doesnt exist.

But it doesn't

Ifyouonlyknew
01-18-2016, 08:44 PM
No but you are willfully ignoring the obvious and seem to have poor sources.

Look at snaps fitz vs staley. Look at games played. Look at when they played.

The answer is obvious. Fitz wouldnt have had minor surgury if his job was in the line fir doing so.

Get used to this. Fitz is the starter until fall when Tiano and Staley have a shot at unseating him. Fitz was the first to sub dak this year. E v e r y time.

The queation is now : what is the progress of the williams tiano staley battle?

Yall can make this some drama that doesnt exist.

But it doesn't

The battle in the spring will be way more open & competitive than you're suggesting. If you don't think reps at #1 will be up for grabs in the spring then you're mistaken. Fitz won't take every rep with the 1's.

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2016, 08:48 PM
You're acting like Fitz didn't just have elbow surgery. The last thing we need to be doing is helping to pack DW's bags for him which is exactly what you're doing. We need some veteran leadership at QB after losing Dak. Williams has that. There's a lot of value there that you're seriously discounting just cause Fitz & Staley are sexier to you. I'll say it again. Your eye for QB talent is broken.

How the **** am I pushing him out? I'd prefer he stay and be QB3, personally. As I pointed out in either this thread or the other one, we needed him - our 3rd QB - not that long ago. There's always value in having an experienced backup should the unthinkable happen and we need to go that deep into our depth chart. And Fitz's surgery is nothing to worry about. Just some simple cleanup. If it were something major, you might have a point. It's like a knee scope, but on the elbow.

Repeating speculation I've heard isn't doing anything one way or the other. Some guys want to play and are wiling to transfer down to do it. D-Will may be one of them. I DON'T KNOW. But don't act like I'm saying something no one else is. This has been speculated about ever since we announced in August we were going to attempt to redshirt D-Will. Engie was actually one of the first to mention it. But I don't see you trying to call him out.

Stop being a dumbass and just acknowledge that D-Will can be really good but still only be 3rd on our depth chart. Because that's the situation. Fitz and Staley are just special talents. That's not a knock on D-Will, it's a complement to Fitz and Staley. There are a whole bunch of years in our history where D-Will would have undoubtedly been our best QB. Hell, I'd take him over Lee, Relf, and Tyler Russell just during the Mullen Era. That's not even going back to the Croom Error or the Kang Era.

gravedigger
01-18-2016, 08:54 PM
The battle in the spring will be way more open & competitive than you're suggesting. If you don't think reps at #1 will be up for grabs in the spring then you're mistaken. Fitz won't take every rep with the 1's.

You are ignoring everything youve witnessed since 2009.

Fitz established himself and the evidence is right in front of your face.

But fine. Its wide open. Cause that is what we've all learned fom Mullen.

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Or Williams wanted an opportunity to compete for the starting job in 2016 so he decided to redshirt? Curious how many practices and scrimmages you watched? D Williams is an accurate thrower and has experience. You sound like Fitz and Staley just blow Williams out the window. At the scrimmages I've seen, it's all pretty equal. Now which QB separates himself with leadership capability and overall knowledge of the offense? We'll see. Do Fitz and Staley probably have a higher ceiling because of innate talent than D Williams? Eh probably with their height. Staley probably has best arm strength from what I've seen, but this is a 4 horse race for QB of MSU in 2016

And I've talked about that prior to the '15 season. I said I thought D-Will might be the best pure passer of the group. But after seeing Staley throw, I don't think that's the case anymore. To repeat: I think Williams is a really damn good player. I spent a year in 2014 talking him up when everyone else was hyping Fitz & Staley. But after watching Fitz & Staley this season, I understand the hype behind them. It's a testament to just how special they can be, not a knock on D-Will. At almost any other time in our history, D-Will would start. I've just never seen us this loaded at QB before.

somebodyshotmypaw
01-18-2016, 09:20 PM

I agree. I think the race is open. Fitz has the lead, but the race is open.

DownwardDawg
01-18-2016, 09:23 PM
I agree. I think the race is open. Fitz has the lead, but the race is open.

I think Fitz wins it easily, but I'm excited about the competition!!

Dawg61
01-18-2016, 10:18 PM
if D-Will doesn't transfer.

How the **** am I pushing him out? I'd prefer he stay and be QB3, personally. As I pointed out in either this thread or the other one, we needed him - our 3rd QB - not that long ago. There's always value in having an experienced backup should the unthinkable happen and we need to go that deep into our depth chart. And Fitz's surgery is nothing to worry about. Just some simple cleanup. If it were something major, you might have a point. It's like a knee scope, but on the elbow.

Repeating speculation I've heard isn't doing anything one way or the other. Some guys want to play and are wiling to transfer down to do it. D-Will may be one of them. I DON'T KNOW. But don't act like I'm saying something no one else is. This has been speculated about ever since we announced in August we were going to attempt to redshirt D-Will. Engie was actually one of the first to mention it. But I don't see you trying to call him out.

Stop being a dumbass and just acknowledge that D-Will can be really good but still only be 3rd on our depth chart. Because that's the situation. Fitz and Staley are just special talents. That's not a knock on D-Will, it's a complement to Fitz and Staley. There are a whole bunch of years in our history where D-Will would have undoubtedly been our best QB. Hell, I'd take him over Lee, Relf, and Tyler Russell just during the Mullen Era. That's not even going back to the Croom Error or the Kang Era.

That last little bit you gave is you planting the seed wether you realized it or not. I'd call out Engie too if I saw him saying that also. We need Williams. This next year especially. He is our veteran leader at the QB position. Worst case scenario he will help to develop the other 3 QBs. Basically I just want everyone to get off his nuts and stop putting pressure on him to transfer out. Give him this next year to prove he's worthy of taking up a scholarship. If he can't do that after next year I will agree it is then time to cut bait. Not now though. Not after just losing Dak. Williams is the only QB on the team that has started for MSU before.

DancingRabbit
01-18-2016, 11:17 PM
That last little bit you gave is you planting the seed wether you realized it or not. I'd call out Engie too if I saw him saying that also. We need Williams. This next year especially. He is our veteran leader at the QB position. Worst case scenario he will help to develop the other 3 QBs. Basically I just want everyone to get off his nuts and stop putting pressure on him to transfer out. Give him this next year to prove he's worthy of taking up a scholarship. If he can't do that after next year I will agree it is then time to cut bait. Not now though. Not after just losing Dak. Williams is the only QB on the team that has started for MSU before.

Dude, us discussing here on a messageboard isn't on Damian's radar, and if it was it wouldn't influence his decision one way or the other.

Damian has been a good Bulldog. Best wishes to him whatever he decides to do. But barring injury, I don't expect him to crack the top 2 QB spots.

You're on record claiming he will be the starter in September. I'm on record saying he won't be. Relax and let it play out.

Barking 13
01-18-2016, 11:27 PM
I think it'd be interesting to see DW in the backfield with either one...... what kind of options could you run out of that set?

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2016, 11:43 PM
Dude, us discussing here on a messageboard isn't on Damian's radar, and if it was it wouldn't influence his decision one way or the other.

Damian has been a good Bulldog. Best wishes to him whatever he decides to do. But barring injury, I don't expect him to crack the top 2 QB spots.

You're on record claiming he will be the starter in September. I'm on record saying he won't be. Relax and let it play out.

Why are you pushing out D-Will???*******

smootness
01-18-2016, 11:57 PM
You are ignoring everything youve witnessed since 2009.

Fitz established himself and the evidence is right in front of your face.

But fine. Its wide open. Cause that is what we've all learned fom Mullen.

Fitzgerald hasn't established anything.

Political Hack
01-19-2016, 07:49 AM
We'll play two QBs

What kind of effect does Staley being left-handed have?

Does that mean we need our best OL at RT?

Does that mean that Myles Garrett changes what side of the line play on?

I really have no clue. Is having a left handed QB like playing ping pong left handed. It keeps the opponent from being able to play to their strength?

Biggest difference is that the ball spins differently. People never think about that, but lefty QBs and Punters are a bitch to deal with. They'll get used to it quickly with ES, but if we rotate QBs a lot it could throw the WRs off some.

RougeDawg
01-19-2016, 09:10 AM
Remember a few years ago when Louisiana-Monroe had 2 QBs, one lefty and one righty, and both mobile, out there on the field at the same time? They didn't run it every play, but they had some neat run/pass options with it.

Maybe we'll see something like that on occasion next year. Fitz and Staley should have the skill set to run it.

I've been screaming for us to do this for years. But we have one key preventative factor, hardheaded Mullen. We could rip teams a new one, especially when we have multiple dual threat QB's of different throwing arms. Defenses would be shitting their pants. With a read option, throw option either side dual QB offensive setup. Hopefully your imagination is is vivid and you are able to remember your dreams, because this will be the only way you see a Dan Mullen offense run this very package.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-19-2016, 04:31 PM

Don't know if he had surgery or not, but Fitz is not in a sling.