PDA

View Full Version : CFB Recruiting Article and Question

BeastMan
01-18-2016, 12:11 PM
http://3rdand57.com/cfb-recruiting-this-thing-of-ours/

First off, I fully understand this is an outside-the-box article. The genesis of the article was lunch with a buddy and were talking about how dirty recruiting has gotten. The first question is how do you fix it? That's what this article is; my idea how to fix it. The second question is if you want it to be fixed. A strong argument can be made for that also. Personally, I'm highly entertained every Saturday. Thoughts?

Jack Lambert
01-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Steven Godfrey would hang himself if Freeze got suspended a few games.

Martianlander
01-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Definitely believe the coaches should be punished. You will still have guys like Pete Carroll who jump to the NFL and avoid punishment unless you can get the league to cooperate, which is doubtful. However ones like Calipari jumping from one school to another could still be punished.

sleepy dawg
01-18-2016, 02:34 PM
Definitely believe the coaches should be punished. You will still have guys like Pete Carroll who jump to the NFL and avoid punishment unless you can get the league to cooperate, which is doubtful. However ones like Calipari jumping from one school to another could still be punished.

Everyone involved has to be punished for the punishment to work, so Coaches, players, and schools. Unless they're all suffering the penalty, at least 1 will still push for it to happen.

OSCAR
01-18-2016, 02:56 PM
i would not have been ok with(as the article referenced), Mullen being punished for the Redmond improper benefits. That would be awful. Yall would have been ok with Dan not coaching part of the season? I wouldn't have. Is that doing the other kids on the roster right? No! I say, if a coach is proven to have knowledge then you completely burn them to the ground but until then I just don't think it's right.

Big4Dawg
01-18-2016, 02:57 PM
I think an early signing period would help A LOT.

or it would just move it up.....

OSCAR
01-18-2016, 03:17 PM
I think an early signing period would help A LOT.

or it would just move it up.....

I totally agree with this however. Wish there was an August signing period and a February one. I'd also like to see it go into a dead period from the early signing period until like October(so kids can visit schools on gamedays) and then dead again just before thanksgiving all the way through 1/14. Recruiting has gotten out of hand with the time coaches have to spend. Not right for their families. Not right for an 18 year old to have to deal with coaches and media nonstop either. IMO

smootness
01-18-2016, 03:32 PM
i would not have been ok with(as the article referenced), Mullen being punished for the Redmond improper benefits. That would be awful. Yall would have been ok with Dan not coaching part of the season? I wouldn't have. Is that doing the other kids on the roster right? No! I say, if a coach is proven to have knowledge then you completely burn them to the ground but until then I just don't think it's right.

I actually disagree.

You're the head coach, it's your responsibility. Everyone on your staff should understand how things are run and the consequences if they are not done right. If a head coach is concerned enough with doing things properly and does a good enough job of hiring and training his staff, there should be no room for a coach to go rogue.

BeastMan
01-18-2016, 03:40 PM
I actually disagree.

You're the head coach, it's your responsibility. Everyone on your staff should understand how things are run and the consequences if they are not done right. If a head coach is concerned enough with doing things properly and does a good enough job of hiring and training his staff, there should be no room for a coach to go rogue.

One of the main points of the article is that plausible deniability is bs. That's where the comparison to the Mafia came from. That was a Mafia don's defense/excuse pre RICO. Further, who makes the most money in the CFB equation from a program level? It's not the player, AD, or school presidents. It's the coaches. They are the power brokers.

Martianlander
01-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Everyone involved has to be punished for the punishment to work, so Coaches, players, and schools. Unless they're all suffering the penalty, at least 1 will still push for it to happen.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply punish the coaches only, but that is where it should start, then go from there.

Reason2succeed
01-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Excellent thought brought out in this article. I've been enraged by this for years. After SMU, my graduate alma mater, they did away with the death penalty. I watched the video where the guy who announced the death penalty fainted in front of the reporters. SMU cheated and got caught and paid a heavy price and still hasn't recovered. So no one wants to do that again. But think about players who take money, money they may really need since they are not ALLOWED to work in many places. Part of their eligibility is taken that they will NEVER get back. The school can recover from their penalties but each kid only has one shot at their dreams. Punishing players will ever stop cheating.