PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers and the read-option...

EAVdog
01-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Watching Cam run their offense today and I can't help but think that the more the Read Option is used in the NFL the better it is for Dak in the Draft.

War Machine Dawg
01-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Watching Cam run their offense today and I can't help but think that the more the Read Option is used in the NFL the better it is for Dak in the Draft.

Cam is the only player to run it who's lasted very long. Why? He's 6'5" and 240. He can handled the physical pounding. And even then, he isn't running it more than about 4-5 times a game most weeks. Plus he's a freak of nature and one of those players that comes along once every 30 years. I know most State fans hate the guy, but you better respect his talent. Personally, I love watching him play.

The NFL is a pocket passing league. Defenses are just too fast and too big for it to be anything else, unless they adjust the hashes and make them wider, which isn't happening.

Bottom line, Dak's going to have to learn to make his living from the pocket. And if this year was any indication, I don't foresee that being a big issue. Dak stayed in the pocket way more this year than he did the previous two years. All we heard from Mullen and the talking heads is how much Dak's improved as a QB in the pocket and how he gets to his 4th and 5th read now. I'll leave it up to you to decide how much of that to trust.

Dak's problem will be the same as most other spread QBs coming to the NFL: Terminology and learning how to protect himself in order to stay healthy. At 6'1" and 230, he's thicker than most QBs his height, but he's not going to hold up to a ton of hits from NFL LBs and Ss, either. It's going to be an interesting process to watch unfold. Landing with the right organization will be crucial. I'm hoping for somewhere like KC or Pittsburgh where he'll be in a QB friendly system and be able to sit and learn from an established vet for a couple of years. KC might be the absolute best place for him. From a selfish standpoint, I'd kill to see him in Houston, but 1) I don't think he fits what O'Brien wants in a QB and 2) the mock drafts seem to think Houston won't wait long to take a QB.

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 05:11 PM
I remember Joe Montana talking about the option in the NFL one time in an interview and he said that NFL owners and GM's don't want their QB that's the face of the team and that they're paying 20 million dollars to taking a ton of shots every game. I thought it was a good point.

Goldendawg
01-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Agree with post on $ paid to QB's and them being the face of the team, but I hate the rule on QBs running. Once they pass the line of scrimmage they should be considered running backs, Their slide might as well be two hand touch or play flag football. It's not at all fair to the defense. As the real Jack Lambert said many years ago "they might as well put them in a dress". I'm all for safety on the concussion issue, but this is totally unfair (see Scam Newton and Russell Wilson especially). Guess I'm showing my age, but this really changes the game. I watch the O have so many advantages over the D. D afraid to do much more than arm tackling, hawk tackling, or just wrestle the O player down. The game is turning into two hand touch and really changing. Never thought I'd see over 100 points scored, especially in SEC football.