PDA

View Full Version : Baseball team better not disappoint

MaroonFlounder
01-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Basketball team has a looooooooong way to go.

Saltydog
01-16-2016, 05:57 PM
play. First 0-4 start in SEC play since 1992.

State82
01-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Five weeks till the Diamond Dogs take the field. Can't wait. Screw the rest of this basketball season.

Tripp McNeely
01-16-2016, 06:10 PM
What's the old Bobby Bowden quote, something to the affect of..."get us while you can because we're gonna be a different team next year"...seems pretty applicable

RougeDawg
01-16-2016, 06:14 PM
My advice to you is adopt a spring/summer hobby, unless our players got some nice mechanical instructions in their summer league play.

Coursesuper
01-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Basketball team has a looooooooong way to go.

You need to take up fishing or golf. And jump I'm with both feet!!!

Todd4State
01-16-2016, 06:36 PM
I'm going to tell y'all right now- the baseball team is going to have peaks and valleys too. Hopefully not anything like the basketball team. But I know this because it's the nature of the game for everybody. And when the valleys happen, people are going to get pissed off and probably bitch about the lineup.

If we make a SR I'll be VERY happy.

Todd4State
01-16-2016, 06:36 PM
My advice to you is adopt a spring/summer hobby, unless our players got some nice mechanical instructions in their summer league play.

And here's a preview of what is going to be posted during one of our valleys.

Jack Lambert
01-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Holy sheep shit man. We had the Great 10-3 2015 Football Meltdown. Now we are having The Great Basketball Meltdown IV. Here comes some guy with 10 ****ing post whinning about Baseball and it hasn't even started yet.

Un ****ing believable. Mississippi State fans are our own worse enemy,.

Commercecomet24
01-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Jack's right!

HSVDawg
01-16-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm going to tell y'all right now- the baseball team is going to have peaks and valleys too. Hopefully not anything like the basketball team. But I know this because it's the nature of the game for everybody. And when the valleys happen, people are going to get pissed off and probably bitch about the lineup.

You say peaks and valleys like the basketball team, whereas the basketball season has just been one giant valley without a single peak anywhere. If baseball season emulates basketball season in any way, shape, or form, then Cohen will be in the unemployment line begging for a job from a directional school in Louisiana, Alabama, or Kentucky. Thats all there is to it.

Blackout
01-16-2016, 08:23 PM
No more excuses John

Coach34
01-16-2016, 08:35 PM
No more excuses John

According to a pro scout- We have top 16 talent in baseball- with a top 8 pitching staff. No excuses at all. Anything less than a Super will be disappointing. Anything less than a 2 seed should cost him his job. I do know missing the NCAA's will cost him his job.

Blackout
01-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Anything less than a 2 seed should cost him his job.

Yes yes yes

Bully13
01-16-2016, 09:03 PM

What peaks has this basketball team had? The EWSU WIN? The moral losses?
Let's face it, we are on life support athletically.

2 eggs, we get Howland and Malik then we are rewarded with suck, now we have to be ok with baseball valleys in baseball?
I am tired of this shit 7

Bully13
01-16-2016, 09:06 PM

What peaks has this basketball team had? The EWSU WIN? The moral losses?
Let's face it, we are on life support athletically.

2 eggs, we get Howland and Malik then we are rewarded with suck, now we have to be ok with baseball valleys in baseball?
I am tired of this shit 7

Bully13
01-16-2016, 09:09 PM
It's time we get an AD that puts the fear of GOD in the HC'S head. 17 this losing is okay shit.

SoJackDog
01-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Cohen has to go. Baseball is my favorite sport and I'm losing faith in the diamond dogs.

Blackout
01-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Cohen has to go. Baseball is my favorite sport and I'm losing faith in the diamond dogs.
Eh, let's play some games first.

If we underperform AGAIN we have a new stadium, extremely talented players, and a A+ pitching coach in place. Just get a non-meddling true hitting guru and we are set! If we fail again.

No more excuses John. Get the **** out of your own way.

Coach34
01-16-2016, 09:34 PM

Are you just damn stupid? We are ranked top 15 in the country right now

ShotgunDawg
01-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Eh, let's play some games first.

If we underperform AGAIN we have a new stadium, extremely talented players, and a A+ pitching coach in place. Just get a non-meddling true hitting guru and we are set! If we fail again.

No more excuses John. Get the **** out of your own way.

This

I agree that we should be at least a #2 seed, but Wes Johnson is a huge step in the right direction & I'm willing to roll with that for a few years before making changes. That would be like a college team, coming off a bad season, hiring Chip Kelly as their OC. You'd probably give him two years before cutting the cord.

Pitching coaches can, at times, be more important than the head coach in college baseball. Pitching is where coaching can have the biggest impact in the game & where you need to be elite coach to win big in college baseball. We now have an ELITE pitching coach that will allow our talent to play up. Whoever we'd hire next, wouldn't be as good as Wes.

Most SEC teams hire recruiters as the hitting coach & a bad ass as the pitching coach.

Vandy built their program with Derek Johnson as their pitching coach & he is now the Milwaukee Brewers pitching coach.

LSU has Alan Dunn who was the Baltimore Orioles minor league pitching coordinator

Kevin O'Sullivan, Florida's head coach, was a pitching coach in the Twins' organization.

maroonmania
01-16-2016, 09:45 PM
I'm going to tell y'all right now- the baseball team is going to have peaks and valleys too. Hopefully !!not anything like the basketball team. But I know this because it's the nature of the game for everybody. And when the valleys happen, people are going to get pissed off and probably bitch about the lineup.

Peaks and valleys would be great!! We have had absolutely NO peaks with this basketball team, NONE. Unless you want to call a win over a below average Tulane team a peak.

weblow
01-16-2016, 10:14 PM

If you put your entire ass into it, I mean really gave it your all, could you be just a little bit bigger dumbshit than you appear to be right now?

Jack Lambert
01-16-2016, 11:33 PM
I count three possible bears in this thread.

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 01:49 AM
Peaks and valleys would be great!! We have had absolutely NO peaks with this basketball team, NONE. Unless you want to call a win over a below average Tulane team a peak.

I guess I worded my post poorly because yeah- I agree we haven't had any peaks with the basketball team. My point was just that we're going to have times where we struggle- but not anything like what the basketball team is going through.

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 01:56 AM
According to a pro scout- We have top 16 talent in baseball- with a top 8 pitching staff. No excuses at all. Anything less than a Super will be disappointing. Anything less than a 2 seed should cost him his job. I do know missing the NCAA's will cost him his job.

I'm expecting big things from our pitching staff too. I like how we are built as a team because we have a good blend of power and speed. Personally I think we might struggle against the West Coast teams we play early like UCLA, USC, and Oregon just because we're still going to be finding ourselves as a team. I would include Oklahoma in there too- even though they're not West Coast. But unless those teams are as bad as Arizona turned out to be the past two years- we should be OK. And if we do well against those teams we all should be really excited.

Also we really need to find a strong option defensively at third base as much as those West Coast teams like to bunt.

I think the best way to shut down a small ball team is to overpower them with a power arm- and we have some of those.

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 02:02 AM
This

I agree that we should be at least a #2 seed, but Wes Johnson is a huge step in the right direction & I'm willing to roll with that for a few years before making changes. That would be like a college team, coming off a bad season, hiring Chip Kelly as their OC. You'd probably give him two years before cutting the cord.

Pitching coaches can, at times, be more important than the head coach in college baseball. Pitching is where coaching can have the biggest impact in the game & where you need to be elite coach to win big in college baseball. We now have an ELITE pitching coach that will allow our talent to play up. Whoever we'd hire next, wouldn't be as good as Wes.

Most SEC teams hire recruiters as the hitting coach & a bad ass as the pitching coach.

Vandy built their program with Derek Johnson as their pitching coach & he is now the Milwaukee Brewers pitching coach.

LSU has Alan Dunn who was the Baltimore Orioles minor league pitching coordinator

Kevin O'Sullivan, Florida's head coach, was a pitching coach in the Twins' organization.

I agree wholeheartedly. And I think it's good to see more college guys with some pro experience and MLB getting more college guys. I like seeing that.

Butch did a very good job for us overall, but IMO he didn't do a very good job last year. I think our staff as a group just lost complete confidence in themselves in general. I hope if nothing else Wes fixes that. And I also hope Wes gets more production out of younger guys too. I don't know what was up with that with Butch or if it was some weird coincidence or what the deal was. But we're going to lose probably our entire rotation and likely closer and one of our top relief guys to the draft after this year. Which means we need some guys that are freshmen to step up and be ready as sophomores. And even this year we really could use some freshmen to step up for us and fill bullpen roles and maybe even the midweek starter spot.

State82
01-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Hammered and completely incoherent at 8:00 on Saturday night. You must have a killer head this morning to have been that drunk.

War Machine Dawg
01-17-2016, 11:14 AM
No more excuses John

It should, but it won't.

SoJackDog
01-17-2016, 10:06 PM
It should, but it won't.

I guess we shall see soon enough. If he makes any decisions remotely resembling a good baseball coach I'll eat my words.

SoJackDog
01-17-2016, 10:07 PM
I'll add that we could possibly steal Coach Page away from Millsaps and some might scoff at that but he's an incredible and proven winner.

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 11:02 PM
I'll add that we could possibly steal Coach Page away from Millsaps and some might scoff at that but he's an incredible and proven winner.

I'm 100% sure if we offered Jim Page our job he would take it. Not that I'm advocating that- but that would be like wondering if Millsaps football coach would take our job.

RougeDawg
01-17-2016, 11:20 PM
And here's a preview of what is going to be posted during one of our valleys.

No it's not. Simply stating that we will not be relevant in baseball again until we get a hitting(mechanics) coach and/or catch lighting in bottles with summer league explosions from players. If you continue to deny the facts, that's not my problem. It's been the same offensive BS year in and year out. The new balls seemed to help everyone but us. I want out baseball team to be successful and go back to Omaha, but that is a far stretch under the current coaching setup. Especially with our most effective coach no longer with us.

I'm not the only one with this sentiment, and even in this thread. I'm sorry that some of us see the forest and the trees. It's obvious you never will so I'll allow you to watch our lack of offense and make excuses in an attempt to avoid the real reason. I will not argue with you and will just say, for your own good, that you allow reality to seep in regarding Cohen and his hitting instruction ability. Either that or we could bring in one of the foul poles and fences like Kentucky to cover up his inadequacies and sign all hitters for the park.

Political Hack
01-17-2016, 11:28 PM
I think we'll hit the ball better because it almost can't be worse. I also think this team is going to have more guts than last years team. I think we're about to see some upperclassmen leadership take the team to the next level with some young talent.

Bigedawg
01-17-2016, 11:34 PM

Please make it stop! We're talking Division 3 baseball. These posts smell...

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 11:49 PM
No it's not. Simply stating that we will not be relevant in baseball again until we get a hitting(mechanics) coach and/or catch lighting in bottles with summer league explosions from players. If you continue to deny the facts, that's not my problem. It's been the same offensive BS year in and year out. The new balls seemed to help everyone but us. I want out baseball team to be successful and go back to Omaha, but that is a far stretch under the current coaching setup. Especially with our most effective coach no longer with us.

I'm not the only one with this sentiment, and even in this thread. I'm sorry that some of us see the forest and the trees. It's obvious you never will so I'll allow you to watch our lack of offense and make excuses in an attempt to avoid the real reason. I will not argue with you and will just say, for your own good, that you allow reality to seep in regarding Cohen and his hitting instruction ability. Either that or we could bring in one of the foul poles and fences like Kentucky to cover up his inadequacies and sign all hitters for the park.

That's interesting. Most people on here seem to strongly disagree with you on this issue. And rightfully so.

I can't wait until we're relevant either- seeing as we're already ranked in the top 20 in pretty much every poll and have scouts talking about how talented our team is.** Speaking of not seeing the forest for the trees...

And as far as making excuses and the ball not helping us... Todd4State and many others on here say our bats suck- and then Cohen goes out and changes the bats. Hmmmm....

I can't wait to hear you pump up Brent Rooker's summer ball coach as well- while not giving Cohen any credit.

Todd4State
01-17-2016, 11:59 PM
I think we'll hit the ball better because it almost can't be worse. I also think this team is going to have more guts than last years team. I think we're about to see some upperclassmen leadership take the team to the next level with some young talent.

We finished 9th in the SEC in hitting and 7th in OBP. I'm not saying that's great but it definitely could have gotten worse. We were last in slugging percentage though- and I think that's where the most noticeable bump should come from.

We have different types of players than we had last year- which amounted to a bunch of singles hitters. If Rooker emerges like I think he will and Collins stays healthy and we get some pop from whomever wins the first base job- it will help immensely. Luke Reynolds is a doubles machine and that will help too. I'm expecting Gridley to take a step forward at the plate as well and hit for a higher average which along with Robson will be a good thing. And Cody Brown is just now becoming an upper classman- his best days could be ahead of him. He's already shown that he can hit for .300 over the course of a season and he was solid in SEC play.

Dawg61
01-18-2016, 12:30 AM
Are you just damn stupid? We are ranked top 15 in the country right now

Haha

War Machine Dawg
01-18-2016, 12:59 AM
Please make it stop! We're talking Division 3 baseball. These posts smell...

Indeed...
http://i.imgur.com/wzx6J8a.gif

basedog
01-18-2016, 06:47 AM
Damn, we haven't even started, make it stop!

CadaverDawg
01-18-2016, 08:42 AM

Haha, not even baseball season yet, we're preseason 15, just had a Top 5 recruiting class, and.....fahr Cohen!

Gotta love it.

CadaverDawg
01-18-2016, 08:47 AM
If you put your entire ass into it, I mean really gave it your all, could you be just a little bit bigger dumbshit than you appear to be right now?

This was even more funny when I realized the irony in your username.... "weblow"

shoeless joe
01-18-2016, 10:06 AM

You're already touting a built in excuse to fit your anti-Cohen agenda just in case we do have an offense this year. If we suck it's on Cohen if we can hit it's because of summer league instruction...I'm not saying that Cohen isn't at fault for some of our recent struggle but, gimme me a break!

engie
01-18-2016, 10:17 AM
You're already touting a built in excuse to fit your anti-Cohen agenda just in case we do have an offense this year. If we suck it's on Cohen if we can hit it's because of summer league instruction...

Of course he is. It's what Rogue does. Since in his mind he's literally a better hitting coach than what we have on staff.

http://www.d1baseball.com/podcast/five-minute-focus-no-15-mississippi-state/

Coach34
01-18-2016, 10:35 AM
We had a shit year last season. Cohen knows he is on the hotseat.

Now that said- we are Preseason top 15 and people have expectations for this baseball team. Get out and support them- and let's see what the results are.

Mutt the Hoople
01-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Jim Page is a good coach and a good man.

engie
01-18-2016, 11:53 AM

You think winning at Millsaps is similar to winning at Mississippi State and all that it involves? Coach Page is a great teacher of the game -- but that's not all that it takes to be a head coach in the SEC. It's a consummate sales pitch. Coach Page had been there over a decade the last time I played on that field -- and the most basic form of fundraising and fanbase building was an failure at that snapshot in my opinion. This was me coming from a high school baseball program that was facilities-wise self-sufficient off of community fundraising and that pulled crowds greater than Millsaps did. I get that they are disadvantaged in some ways -- but these are basic fanbase needs that were not provided -- and in turn -- no fans. There are also advantages there that IMO were not really taken advantage of. That's an elite education that a decent baseball player can get for free(ahem, a decent "leader" can get for free). And the field location is one of the most beautiful places inside the city of Jackson set up on that hill overlooking the city. I get that people will laugh at that -- but it was one of the things I remembered from there. The setting had so much potential. And they were drastically behind their rivals in Clinton facility-wise at the time.

Lower level proven coaches are a dime a dozen around the state. If you are going to go grab someone out of that pool -- grab the one that has actually won a title and has built a program beyond "leadership" scholarships for an elite-level education -- and actually puts 40% more butts in seats than anyone else in his division of the NCAA.