PDA

View Full Version : Since Newman is adament about going pro, I guess Spoon should go too.

klong-dog
01-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Dude is smoooooth.

Coach34
01-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Who said Newman was? All I hear is he will return if he isnt a lottery pick. And he is not going to be a lottery pick

civildawg
01-16-2016, 05:31 PM
I just can't see Newman going pro right now. No way he is projected to get drafted right now

klong-dog
01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Bob Carscadan (sp) pretty much assumed that he will the other day on Head to head.

msstate7
01-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Bob Carscadan (sp) pretty much assumed that he will the other day on Head to head.

No shame in playing basketball for a career in Europe

Coach34
01-16-2016, 05:39 PM

Bob dont know shit. He is a writer. Newman is 2nd round at best right now

Tbonewannabe
01-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Spoon is the better player right now.

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Bob dont know shit. He is a writer. Newman is 2nd round at best right now

There's no way a team at the bottom of the 1st round will let him pass by on upside alone.

Jacksondevildog
01-16-2016, 05:45 PM
You are talking about Weatherspoon, right? **

There's no way a team at the bottom of the 1st round will let him pass by on upside alone.

klong-dog
01-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Weatherspoon seems kinda similar to Timmy Bowers. Makes it look easy, plays alil bigger than the actual guard that they are.

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Weatherspoon seems kinda similar to Timmy Bowers. Makes it look easy, plays alil bigger than the actual guard that they are.

Yeah, I really like Spoon, but he's a 4 year college player which is great for us.

C222
01-16-2016, 06:06 PM
Malik would be drafted of the first round. But if he comes back, man we are going to be loaded next year.

MarketingBully
01-16-2016, 06:09 PM

Bob and Brian Hadad don't know shit about basketball. Malik only was going pro if he was a lottery pick. Hadad also doesn't know shit because he also was trumpeting the bullshit about it being used against us in recruiting. The hardest players to have one and done are guards because it takes longer for them to develop. Look at Blakney at LSU. He isn't a one and done and he was the second ranked shooting guard. Heck, some of the players on Kentucky's team will be back because they aren't one and done. Some classes have more one and dones in them. Malik will be a lottery pick as a sophomore especially playing with the kids we are bringing in.

RougeDawg
01-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Malik would be drafted of the first round. But if he comes back, man we are going to be loaded next year.

He must be showing his 1st round ability in practice only. I haven't ever seen
3rd team SEC play from him this year. Did you get ahold of some that Kimchee spice before posting this?

C222
01-16-2016, 06:15 PM
He must be showing his 1st round ability in practice only. I haven't ever seen
3rd team SEC play from him this year. Did you get ahold of some that Kimchee spice before posting this?

So NBA teams only draft on results of games? He won't get out of the first round if he leaves.

Kelly Oubre averaged 9 points last year as a freshman. He was drafted 15tg overall. Wonder why?

MarketingBully
01-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Why are you guys bashing Malik? We do this every game it seems. I get it. People are frustrated because we are losing. I am not sure why people didn't think this team would have Ray after effects especially if players like Sword and Ready didn't buy in. Unfortunately, Ware was the only player to buy in at the beginning. Howland had to bench Daniels because he was passing up open shots to pass to players for contested shots. We will be an immensely better team next year because it will be Malik's team and our talent level will move to the top of the SEC instead of the bottom.

msstate7
01-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Isn't Malik's projections based on him playing the point? He's way undersized for the 2, right?

RougeDawg
01-16-2016, 06:25 PM
So NBA teams only draft on results of games? He won't get out of the first round if he leaves.

Kelly Oubre averaged 9 points last year as a freshman. He was drafted 15tg overall. Wonder why?

I watch a decent amount of NBA games, most in person and I don't even see a bench position for him at this time. He looks timid for whatever reason. Could be cramps and/or injury but he's not being agressive.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-16-2016, 06:26 PM

If Ready gets processed...

Goldendawg
01-16-2016, 06:50 PM
I've been to two home games and watched all I can on TV. This team looks an awful lot likes last year's team and Malik doesn't look comfortable on the court. Q looked real good today and I enjoy watching him play. What was Malik's position in HS? He doesn't show point guard skills to me, especially in the NBA. This team is not very deep at all. Sword sometimes will lower his shoulder and try to drive against multiple players in the lane. Foul trouble for Ware and a bad game by Sword, who can step up and score? We close the gap and Ready hogs the ball in multiple games. His height already makes him a liability on D. These guys don't play well together at all.

MarketingBully
01-16-2016, 06:52 PM
I've been to two home games and watched all I can on TV. This team looks an awful lot likes last year's team and Malik doesn't look comfortable on the court. Q looked real good today and I enjoy watching him play. What was Malik's position in HS? He doesn't show point guard skills to me, especially in the NBA. This team is not very deep at all. Sword sometimes will lower his shoulder and try to drive against multiple players in the lane. Foul trouble for Ware and a bad game by Sword, who can step up and score? We close the gap and Ready hogs the ball in multiple games. His height already makes him a liability on D. These guys don't play well together at all.

Agreed and that has been why we have had a disappointing season. The chemistry on this team is aweful.

Goat from MSU
01-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Newman will be back and so will Ready. Ready was not the problem today ,having only one true inside man is and will be our problem the rest of the year.

If Ready gets processed...

MannyDiazzzzNuts
01-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Similar to the stance on recruiting, can we not publicly bash our players considering all the Bear lurkers? I swear we are our own worst enemy most of the time.

RiverCityDawg
01-16-2016, 07:54 PM

Hmm, I don't see that at all. Timmy was extremely athletic and not ready at all to contribute as a true freshman. He was only 6-1 and turned into a really good point guard to go along with all his shooting/dunking skills. Q is a smooth 6-4 wing with average athleticism but very smooth. Timmy was a great defender and Q is behind on defense since Velma always played zone. He's getting better on D though.

klong-dog
01-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Timmy was 6'2. I was comparing Q to Timmys freshman year. I'm saying what I remember of him. Similar looking shots, both follow up their own shots getting their own put backs around the basket. Thought Q looked good on D. Both seem to be gamers and score in crunch time. They definitely much remind me of one another.

Coach34
01-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Hmm, I don't see that at all. Timmy was extremely athletic and not ready at all to contribute as a true freshman. He was only 6-1 and turned into a really good point guard to go along with all his shooting/dunking skills. Q is a smooth 6-4 wing with average athleticism but very smooth. Timmy was a great defender and Q is behind on defense since Velma always played zone. He's getting better on D though.

Q has more talent and can score easier than Bowers. We'll see if he has the drive and leadership Bowers had.

klong-dog
01-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Do you see Bowers with that much more athleticism than Q? Maybe he's thinking of Zimmerman.

MafiaDawg
01-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Q and bowers is a good comparison. And where the 17 is Newman going to go pro this year? Turkey? Ask Mario Austin how the middle eastern basketball league is.

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Q and bowers is a good comparison. And where the 17 is Newman going to go pro this year? Turkey? Ask Mario Austin how the middle eastern basketball league is.

Malik is still projected as a 1st round pick by NBAdraft.net.

Coach34
01-16-2016, 09:36 PM

He has fallen 15 spots since the season started- he isnt thru dropping- he is 3 picks away from round 2

msstate7
01-16-2016, 09:56 PM

Are they projecting him as a 1 or 2 in the pros?

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 10:04 PM
Are they projecting him as a 1 or 2 in the pros?

As a 1. And everyone understands he isn't ready, but that doesn't mean he won't go. I can almost promise you, if a team gives them confirmation they will take him in Round 1, he will go. That's exactly what happened with Travis Outlaw. Portland told them if he was there, they were taking him.

HSVDawg
01-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Dude is not even going to get drafted at all if he leaves this year. His freshmen year contribution is about equal to Barry Stewart. Was he a lottery pick?

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Dude is not even going to get drafted at all if he leaves this year. His freshmen year contribution is about equal to Barry Stewart. Was he a lottery pick?

Amazing that you think that has anything to do with his draft projection.

HSVDawg
01-16-2016, 11:16 PM
As a 1. And everyone understands he isn't ready, but that doesn't mean he won't go. I can almost promise you, if a team gives them confirmation they will take him in Round 1, he will go. That's exactly what happened with Travis Outlaw. Portland told them if he was there, they were taking him.

Thats because Travis Outlaw was ready to play the 3 from day 1. He had some things he needed to work on that kept him on the bench a year or two, but he was an immediate contributor. Malik is nowhere close to that as a PG. he has literally not shown a single thing that indicates he can play that position at even the college level, much less NBA. His court vision and penetration ability are both average at best. How much of that is due to injury, who knows?

Thats not saying he won't get better. The light might cut on for him tomorrow, or it might never cut on. But if the draft was tomorrow, there's no way he'd be picked at all. Literally no way possible.

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Thats because Travis Outlaw was ready to play the 3 from day 1. He had some things he needed to work on that kept him on the bench a year or two, but he was an immediate contributor. Malik is nowhere close to that as a PG. he has literally not shown a single thing that indicates he can play that position at even the college level, much less NBA. His court vision and penetration ability are both average at best. How much of that is due to injury, who knows?

Thats not saying he won't get better. The light might cut on for him tomorrow, or it might never cut on. But if the draft was tomorrow, there's no way he'd be picked at all. Literally no way possible.

He would go late 1st round. And LOL at Outlaw being ready from Day 1.

HSVDawg
01-16-2016, 11:29 PM
He would go late 1st round. And LOL at Outlaw being ready from Day 1.

If you actually read my post, I didn't exactly indicate he rolled in like the next Kevin Durant. But he had the raw skills and size that matched him for what he needed to do. Malik has none of that for the PG position, largely because he's never played PG in his career. And in whatever you want to call Howland's offense, he hasn't played it much even this year. If Malik is drafted Round 1 after this year, it will likely be due to his potential to play the 2. And before you even argue that he's too small to play the 2 in the NBA, keep in mind that he's an inch taller and a hell of a lot bulkier than Steph Curry.

HoopsDawg
01-16-2016, 11:34 PM
If you actually read my post, I didn't exactly indicate he rolled in like the next Kevin Durant. But he had the raw skills and size that matched him for what he needed to do. Malik has none of that for the PG position, largely because he's never played PG in his career. And in whatever you want to call Howland's offense, he hasn't played it much even this year. If Malik is drafted Round 1 after this year, it will likely be due to his potential to play the 2. And before you even argue that he's too small to play the 2 in the NBA, keep in mind that he's an inch taller and a hell of a lot bulkier than Steph Curry.

Yeah, Um, Steph plays the 1.

Coach34
01-17-2016, 12:35 AM
Malik is returning next year

smootness
01-17-2016, 12:42 AM
And before you even argue that he's too small to play the 2 in the NBA, keep in mind that he's an inch taller and a hell of a lot bulkier than Steph Curry.

Lulz

HSVDawg
01-17-2016, 01:41 AM
Yeah, Um, Steph plays the 1.

Admitted brain fart...guilty as charged. My point remains though. Monta Ellis is 6-3. Dwyane Wade is 6-4. Both are two guards. Malik is 6-4 and more than capable of playing the 2 in the NBA with some continued improvement.. He has not demonstrated any ability to play the point though, at least not yet. We'll see if that changes over the next few months.

Dawg61
01-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Admitted brain fart...guilty as charged. My point remains though. Monta Ellis is 6-3. Dwyane Wade is 6-4. Both are two guards. Malik is 6-4 and more than capable of playing the 2 in the NBA with some continued improvement.. He has not demonstrated any ability to play the point though, at least not yet. We'll see if that changes over the next few months.

Malik ain't 6'4. He's 6'2 tops and he's undersized for the 2 at the college level let alone the NBA. His ball-handling, aggressiveness, decision making and basketball I.Q. all need more time at this level. Nothing wrong with that. He is a good freshman college player. Not great. Not average. He's had "best ever" whispered in his ear for the last five years so I think he's struggling with that some right now.

klong-dog
01-17-2016, 09:23 AM
A lot of times, it takes that second year for the lights to turn on. I think he's not quite himself, since he's around several seniors , he use to the ball in his hands and taking over, not worrying with what shot he takes and how many.

RiverCityDawg
01-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Do you see Bowers with that much more athleticism than Q? Maybe he's thinking of Zimmerman.

Z was much more athletic than both, but yes Timmy had much more athleticism than what Q has shown thus far. Timmy caught numerous lobs and threw them down effortlessly. Those were the years I was at State, so I know those teams better than other years. Q is significantly taller than Timmy. I would say Q is more like a bigger better version of Randy Stewart than he is like Timmy B.