PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line

Drugdog
08-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Good article on the Clarion ledger about our Oline.

Goat Holder
08-08-2013, 09:19 AM
I was just about to post this. Article here: http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130808/SPORTS030102/308080034/Up-front-experience-matters-tight-knit-Bulldogs

Great thing is that we'll be alright next year as well as Beckwith (Sr.) steps in for Jackson and Robinson (Sr.) steps in for Siddoway. Yeah, it may seem like those are downgrades but consider that Clausell and Day will also be Srs., plus Malone as a Jr. That's a freaking solid upperclass line. I almost hope Prescott does well enough to get out as a Jr., because he might get killed as a Sr. Malone will be the only starter back and he'll be a Sr. Hopefully, by that time (2015), the two JUCO guys in this class will be RJrs. and ready to play. Plus all our younger guys will be 2 years older so maybe it's not as bad as I think.

We really need to be signing 4-5 OL every year. Having too many is a much better problem to have. Too few = 3-9 at MSU, in a damn hurry.

FlabLoser
08-08-2013, 09:20 AM
I hope we've got some good underclassmen ready in a few years.

Coach34
08-08-2013, 09:21 AM
nahhhh- we are bringing in a couple of jucos in for next year- so there will be some spirited competition on the OL

mic
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
OL is always the hardest to predict success to me..
Clausell Day and I think Gabe were all 2 stars.
those guys turned out to be 4 and a 5 star college players.
we have some possible very solid guys from last year and class this year looks good so far. I would be willing to bet that if the 2 kids we have committed from GA were in MS they would be Dandy Dozens..
yes we have to sign 4-5 OL every year and we are very good at getting Juco guys that can come in and fill roles very well.
I wish we could land that cant miss high school OL with the 2015 class..

Goat Holder
08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
To me, if you're redshirting these guys and keeping a constant supply of RJrs. and RSrs. on the roster, that sort of negates the evaluation of them. Sure, you want to do your due diligence, but how many 4 star OL is MSU going to be bringing in anyway, you know? It seems even terrible 2 star types seem to get decent if they stick with it over 4 and 5 years. Clausell was getting flat-backed every game in 2011 but now he's a pretty reliable LT.

Barking 13
08-08-2013, 10:11 AM
"I wish we could land that cant miss high school OL with the 2015 class.. "

I know one, but he will go probably elsewhere because of Hevesy. Somewhere between B. Jones and Dillon Day...

CadaverDawg
08-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I was just about to post this. Article here: http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20130808/SPORTS030102/308080034/Up-front-experience-matters-tight-knit-Bulldogs

Great thing is that we'll be alright next year as well as Beckwith (Sr.) steps in for Jackson and Robinson (Sr.) steps in for Siddoway. Yeah, it may seem like those are downgrades but consider that Clausell and Day will also be Srs., plus Malone as a Jr. That's a freaking solid upperclass line. I almost hope Prescott does well enough to get out as a Jr., because he might get killed as a Sr. Malone will be the only starter back and he'll be a Sr. Hopefully, by that time (2015), the two JUCO guys in this class will be RJrs. and ready to play. Plus all our younger guys will be 2 years older so maybe it's not as bad as I think.

We really need to be signing 4-5 OL every year. Having too many is a much better problem to have. Too few = 3-9 at MSU, in a damn hurry.

As you mentioned in your other post in this thread, our redshirting has me feeling good about our Oline for a while. Not only will guys like Desper, Carter, Thomas, Flowers, Clayborne, etc, have been in our system for 2 to 3 years by 2015....we will also have the Jucos from next year that will be Seniors, as well as all of the guys I didn't mention with that first group of HS guys that could emerge after being in the program 2,3,and 4 years. Mullen and company are doing a helluva job of building depth at this postion, however, I'm ready to see the quality of that depth improve a little bit from a higher rated guys perspective. In other words, I'd like to see a few more guys that don't require such a huge development to become good SEC lineman.