PDA

View Full Version : Now that all the coaching uncertainty is over with here's my evaluation

Irondawg
01-13-2016, 03:52 PM
We all know Mullen attempted to leave and while that made some mad, it is what it is. He knew that he just produced the best two years in school history and is losing Dak. I certainly understand him looking around and I can't blame a guy for wanting a top 10 job or a semi-lateral move that might put him in more consistent position to win big. The SEC and the SECW in particular is just brutal.

But some positives came of all this. (1) He didn't leave. (2) He knows where he stands

While he's not perfect and still has to work on choking in big games, the man is a darn good football coach. Could we hire someone better? Maybe but maybe not. But he now knows that to move up in the ranks he's got to win even bigger than he has to date or at least keep this level up for a few more years. To do that he needs to bring back some fire and energy, improve some stuff with his gameday coaching, and get more talent.

He probably didn't think he'd have to replace Manny and honestly probably not even Hughes until JSU came calling but he went out and got young, aggressive guys with NFL experience and good recruiting resumes. There is clearly a focus on talent aquisition with a risk that we don't take a step back on X & O coaching. Hopefully we find the best of both worlds in our new DC.

The only think I'm disappointed in is that for the second year in a row we thought Sallach would head into the admin role and allow us to hire another TE coach/high level recruiter. I guess that could still happen but I'd love to go get a guy with GA or TX connections to focus on getting some lineman.

Dan knows what he needs to do now and seems focused on that mission and I think MSU is going to be benefit from that.

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2016, 03:57 PM
Excellent. As someone who doesn't keep up closely with this stuff, I appreciate the succinct perspective.

MarketingBully
01-13-2016, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't blame him for leaving for a Notre Dame or Texas. Clear steps up. But dang, his ass was rumored heavily with Maryland and Va Tech. Come on. There's a time to put your name out there and a time not to. This was clearly the time not to. All he has done is make his job harder and lose some of the fanbase. Besides, he is making so much money right now that only a top 10 job would be able to afford him.

confucius say
01-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Let's not turn this into another "mullen wanted the hell out" vs "mullen was only interested in big time jobs" thread. We all know how this ends.

smootness
01-13-2016, 04:19 PM
Let's not turn this into another "mullen wanted the hell out" vs "mullen was only interested in big time jobs" thread. We all know how this ends.

It shouldn't even be a discussion. If he just wanted out, he would be gone.

Dawgtini
01-13-2016, 04:59 PM

This. All day, twice in the off season. If he really wanted out he would have. There were enough openings this year that even Croom could have found a landing spot.

Tbonewannabe
01-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Depends, the jobs filled ended up paying a lot less than Dan is currently making. I personally think he might be tired of the cesspool that is SEC West recruiting. Until UM gets the hammer for what they are doing, it is just going to get worse. AU already bought Cam out from under Dan with the SEC office blessing. I wouldn't blame him for getting sick of it.

maroonmania
01-13-2016, 05:47 PM
Seriosly, is this really a topic we want to dredge back up 3 weeks before signing day?

BulldogDX55
01-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Has there ever been a source that could confirm that he has any inclination to leave? I mean, outside of FootballScoop and OM sources stirring up shit?

MrKotter
01-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Some of you really still believe he tried to leave? Good grief