PDA

View Full Version : One thing I really like with our hirings...

Coach34
01-13-2016, 10:49 AM
We now have 3 NFL guys coaching on defense. And all 3 are known for recruiting also. The message these guys deliver should be pretty strong on the field and in recruiting moving forward

BorneDawg
01-13-2016, 10:55 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Coach34 again.

BrunswickDawg
01-13-2016, 10:57 AM
We now have 3 NFL guys coaching on defense. And all 3 are known for recruiting also. The message these guys deliver should be pretty strong on the field and in recruiting moving forward
With the way that CFB is moving - at least in the SEC - it is a prep league for the NFL. Nothing better you can say to a recruit than. "Look at all the guys we put in the league. We played in the league. Look at my Ring. Come here and you will be prepared to make $$.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2016, 11:04 AM

Agree.

Not to get too technical here, but this could also be a sign that Mullen is attempting to differentiate his product, to recruits, from the rest of the competition.

By hiring ex-NFL players, Mullen is offering something to recruits that Ole Miss, LSU, & Alabama aren't offering & that's the chance to play for ex NFL players that know what it takes to get there.

We'll have to see if it works, but I think it's a good idea. If a player is faced with the option to take $200,000 and play for an ex-girls basketball coach and old white dude, or play for ex-NFL players as his position coach, it at least gives you a chance to get that player, without having to pay him, by selling him on choosing the school that's best for his NFL prospects.

It's a solid plan.

Basically, in the last week we've hired the best recruiter off of Louisville & USC's staff

Dawgface
01-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Hope you're right. With their NFL backgrounds, you would think they know all the x's and o's. Hopefully they are all good communicators and motivators on the field. Recruiting has been lacking so these guys should at the very least give us a boost there

MetEdDawg
01-13-2016, 11:39 AM

Our program has been missing that cache. Now we've got it in a lot of places. Buckley, Townsend, and Sirmon are about as good of NFL cache as there is in college football. Multiple super bowl appearances and solid careers. That's going to pay off in the future. On the defensive side, with as much as we have and are going to put in the NFL, we should be able to compete for big time recruits now. We will have multiple DL drafted under Mullen, multiple LBs, and multiple CBs. Now add a staff that has been successful at the highest level for a long period of time and we should be able to recruit some solid guys on the defensive side of the ball.

On another note, do we know if any recruits may follow Sirmon or have new interest to Starkville?

Thick
01-13-2016, 11:54 AM

Now if we could hire an ex-NFL lineman we would be killing it.....maybe.

deltadawg99
01-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Now if we could hire an ex-NFL lineman we would be killing it.....maybe.

Porkchop
David Stewart
Derek Sherrod

Come on down!

Really Clark?
01-13-2016, 12:14 PM
I wonder where Jeff Stoutland will end up. Has a few years pro coaching exp now with the Eagles. Maybe can incorporate his past knowledge with the new ideas from Kelly. I know he does not have NFL player exp but he is a dang good OL coach

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-13-2016, 12:21 PM
come to Starkville, no distractions, work hard, learn under coaches who stood in your shoes & made successful NFL careers for themselves, follow the path of 26 Bulldogs who've signed NFL contracts since 2009, play in the NFL pipeline that is the SEC West, work hard, and get your shot at the NFL.

should be an easy sell.

MetEdDawg
01-13-2016, 12:28 PM
You guys asking for a new OL coach or providing suggestions for a new OL coach crack me up. Pipe dreams I know, but it's never going to happen. Hevesy is going into his 8th year. Only coach on staff not named Dan Mullen or Scott Sallach (who graduated from the same college as Mullen) that's been here since the beginning. He's not leaving unless he gets a significantly better offer or Dan goes.

Really Clark?
01-13-2016, 12:43 PM
You guys asking for a new OL coach or providing suggestions for a new OL coach crack me up. Pipe dreams I know, but it's never going to happen. Hevesy is going into his 8th year. Only coach on staff not named Dan Mullen or Scott Sallach (who graduated from the same college as Mullen) that's been here since the beginning. He's not leaving unless he gets a significantly better offer or Dan goes.

Knox and until last month Hughes had been here since the beginning.

Really Clark?
01-13-2016, 12:44 PM
The Monroe newspaper requested and received the names of all 35 ULM applications. Hevasey and Hopson were among the 35.

Coach34
01-13-2016, 01:26 PM
The Monroe newspaper requested and received the names of all 35 ULM applications. Hevasey and Hopson were among the 35.

and they finished in 34th and 35th place

Really Clark?
01-13-2016, 01:38 PM
and they finished in 34th and 35th place

Ha. I don't think there was a candidate ranking also given by the school. But Hevasey wasn't interviewed. Hopson was one of the 5-6 coaches that did receive an interview, so he probably placed a little higher.