PDA

View Full Version : Most exciting thing about our new DC...

Coach34
01-12-2016, 08:50 PM
He's a recruiting mf'er with West Coast contacts. Pleaseeeeeee find us some OL guys ASAP. O-LINE from the West. We need ASAP.

Get busy mf'er

JoseBrown
01-12-2016, 08:55 PM
He's a recruiting mf'er with West Coast contacts. Pleaseeeeeee find us some OL guys ASAP. O-LINE from the West. We need ASAP.

Get busy mf'er

Damn right! Do it SC style!

EAVdog
01-12-2016, 09:09 PM
We need some big Polynesian Dudes to experience Lil' Doeey's, we'd have an immediate pipeline!

MSUMatt
01-12-2016, 09:15 PM
We need some big Polynesian Dudes to experience Lil' Doeey's, we'd have an immediate pipeline!

Big ass Samoans with tribal tats and torches.

RougeDawg
01-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Does he also double as a preacher on Sunday's? that seems to be the only way to lure top prospects to obscure Mississiippi towns with football programs who have never been a national power.**

starkvegasdawg
01-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Does he also double as a preacher on Sunday's? that seems to be the only way to lure top prospects to obscure Mississiippi towns with football programs who have never been a national power.**

We just need to plant some more trees and flowers to make the campus prettier.

louisvilledawg
01-12-2016, 09:22 PM

Yes please

coastratdog
01-12-2016, 09:23 PM
I wish he could bring the USC cheerleaders with him. They are by far the hottest in all of college football. Followed by Oregon. Bring some of that West Coast other talent.

Sacrifice
01-12-2016, 09:26 PM

Heck yeah, doing that bad ass tribal dance before the games. That's some tough looking MoFos

Fred Garvin
01-12-2016, 09:27 PM

And replace DPR with a Maori War Dance

deltadawg99
01-12-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm interested to see what scheme he runs. Looks like usc runs a 3-4.

Also curious to see what new names pop on the recruiting radar. He was on some big time guys in the West and also on some guys in Georgia and Florida.

Todd4State
01-12-2016, 09:30 PM

Pineapple Dooey. Can't wait to try it.

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 10:00 PM

Get busy mf'er

I'll believe it when I see it if we get ANy player from the west, much less O-linemen. He better find some around here.

Hell, we didn't even get Jimmy Webb's boys from Cali.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2016, 10:09 PM
We need some Polynesian War Daddies like this guy.

NGATA

http://www.trbimg.com/img-54653c6c/turbine/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-1114-20141113

msstate7
01-12-2016, 10:11 PM
I'll believe it when I see it if we get ANy player from the west, much less O-linemen. He better find some around here.

You must have forgotten about Joey trapp... Ok, not a good example haha

Schultzy
01-12-2016, 10:15 PM

May you accidentally choke yourself with your spider web.

Todd4State
01-12-2016, 10:18 PM

When was this?

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 10:54 PM
When was this?

Croom days. big old twins. UCLA

Alldawg
01-12-2016, 11:17 PM
After following this over the last week and reading your opinions, are you pleased with this hire? The reason I ask is all of the talk that you were totally against hiring Ed O due to his lack of experience even though he was a great recruiter. What separates these two in your opinion? NFL experience?

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 11:32 PM
After following this over the last week and reading your opinions, are you pleased with this hire? The reason I ask is all of the talk that you were totally against hiring Ed O due to his lack of experience even though he was a great recruiter. What separates these two in your opinion? NFL experience?

Because the hire has been made so the kool-aide drunks are staggering. I thought Ed would have been a horrible hire. Ed, 10x more qualified than Simon Peter.

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 11:34 PM

Not sure if you were asking me or not, but if you were... I really have no opinion because, unlike many, when I don't know much about it, I don't know enough about it to have one.

I wasn't big on Rhodes, so I like it better than that, but that would be like liking Jeb Bush if he gets the GOP nomination just cause I hate Hilary. Anything would be about better.

He's bad short on experience. That's a concern. But Mullen must feel good about it because he passed up a fairly safe, PR wise, hire with Rhodes.

Dan better hope it's more than just a good feeling. It better be a good hire or it could be bad, bad feelings next year.

In my early opinion, it's a gamble

msstate7
01-12-2016, 11:37 PM
Because the hire has been made so the kool-aide drunks are staggering. I thought Ed would have been a horrible hire. Ed, 10x more qualified than Simon Peter.

Why is so horrible to be positive about this hire, but it's just fine for you to be negative? Mullen thinks he can do the job, so why are you so convinced that he can't? Truth is that no one knows how this will turn out, so pre-melting is a pointless exercise

WesternSkyDawg
01-12-2016, 11:48 PM
In my early opinion, it's a gamble

What exactly is the gamble?

That's an simpleton statement to make. But in some sense, Dan was a gamble too, if the HC title is the 'gamble' criteria.

Worst case scenario, we go 4-3 with the corners 10 yards off, which has been the fall-back. But with the plus of an ace recruiter with youth and the connection and energy that goes with that.

Best case scenario, we bring a new attack mentality, from multiple formations, we get our swagger back, and we start knocking dicks in the dirt again. Been too long since we had that mindset.

And you don't last 7 years in the NFL being soft.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Why is so horrible to be positive about this hire, but it's just fine for you to be negative? Mullen thinks he can do the job, so why are you so convinced that he can't? Truth is that no one knows how this will turn out, so pre-melting is a pointless exercise.

engie
01-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Ed, 10x more qualified than Simon Peter.

No.

Dallas_Dawg
01-12-2016, 11:55 PM
Have a close friend who is a well informed Tennessee Vol. He says we got a helluva coach and that he is "lights out" as a recruiter.
I'm pumped now, let's go do some crootin!

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 11:56 PM
What exactly is the gamble?

That's an simpleton statement to make. But in some sense, Dan was a gamble too, if the HC title is the 'gamble' criteria.

Worst case scenario, we go 4-3 with the corners 10 yards off, which has been the fall-back. But with the plus of an ace recruiter with youth and the connection and energy that goes with that.

Best case scenario, we bring a new attack mentality, from multiple formations, we get our swagger back, and we start knocking dicks in the dirt again. Been too long since we had that mindset.

And you don't last 7 years in the NFL being soft.

Ok, I'm a simpleton. Yes, Dan was a gamble, this dude is a gamble, that onside kick for Bama was a gamble. I think I was asked to give my opinion.... and that's it. That it is a gamble. There were experienced DC's out there. This guy isn't one of them... therefore a gamble.

WesternSkyDawg
01-13-2016, 12:15 AM
Ok, I'm a simpleton. Yes, Dan was a gamble, this dude is a gamble, that onside kick for Bama was a gamble. I think I was asked to give my opinion.... and that's it. That it is a gamble. There were experienced DC's out there. This guy isn't one of them... therefore a gamble.

Didn't say you were a simpleton. Just that the statement was simplistic.

Does he lack significant DC experience? Sure, but that's several steps short of a fully reasoned response.

There are multiple pluses to outweigh the lack of DC experience; sitting in on meetings with the DC as an NFL linebacker for 7 years is a helluva start. Throw in the recruiting and the youth, and that he shares these things in common with TBuck and Deshae, and I'll take that 100 times over before a retread or a South Florida 1 year DC with split loyalties.

The modern day DC is a completely different animal than the Joe Lee schemer. Hell, Saban is at the pinnacle. And he's got 18 5 stars on the roster. And he just gave up 40 points in the championship game!

The new rules favoring the offense have simply re-shaped the important characteristics of thus position. And it could be argued that this guy fits the new model to a T.

Alldawg
01-13-2016, 12:17 AM
I was asking C34. Thought I copied his post but I didnt

engie
01-13-2016, 12:22 AM
Everything is always a gamble. That's the point. Alot of people were championing Paul Rhoads. Why not Ellis Johnson? He's coached and schemed a better defense far more recently than Rhoades -- who hasn't had a top 90 defense since the modern spread offense really started to develop a big foot hold in college football. Could he be good? Sure. But he could fail just as easily.

Very few sure things. And LSU and Tennessee hired two of them...

Spiderman
01-13-2016, 07:29 AM
Everything is always a gamble. That's the point. Alot of people were championing Paul Rhoads. Why not Ellis Johnson? He's coached and schemed a better defense far more recently than Rhoades -- who hasn't had a top 90 defense since the modern spread offense really started to develop a big foot hold in college football. Could he be good? Sure. But he could fail just as easily.

Very few sure things. And LSU and Tennessee hired two of them...

I've been around it enough to know that in football, the only sure thing is there is no such thing as a sure thing.

But if y'all honestly don't see that Sirmon's lack of experience totally running a defense, and the relativity short time he has been coaching, is riskier than people that have run a defense and done it longer, I'm not gonna sway you.

As for those who say NFL playing experience counts so much, did you want Townsend or Buckley as DC? Why not? They were studs in the league and have just as about as much coaching experience.

He may go on to be the next Saban, and I hope he is, but there is a big unknown to me and the rest of the fans and media.

Mullen saw something that he liked, so he took a gamble on the guy. That's Dan's job, and it's his ass.

Every hire he makes is a gamble. Some just bigger than others. There is a lot of difference in betting on the line and a $10 Yo.

FISHDAWG
01-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Why is so horrible to be positive about this hire, but it's just fine for you to be negative? Mullen thinks he can do the job, so why are you so convinced that he can't? Truth is that no one knows how this will turn out, so pre-melting is a pointless exercise

there was plenty of negativity from an awful lot of these same posters a few months ago about our head coach ... now you guys are going to jump on a poster for expressing his skeptical opinion over a DC with no DC experience ??

Spiderman
01-13-2016, 09:02 AM
there was plenty of negativity from an awful lot of these same posters a few months ago about our head coach ... now you guys are going to jump on a poster for expressing his skeptical opinion over a DC with no DC experience ??

Very logical and I completely agree.

While I'm not pissed at the hire, neither am I happy. But I can see why some are pissed and some happy about Sirmon.

I think most are like me,wait and see and hope Dan found him a good 'un.

notsofarawaydawg
01-13-2016, 09:13 AM

You've got that wrong. He needs to be a landscape architect so he can beautify the campus so all those "beautiful campus" recruits will look our way. ***

msstate7
01-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Didn't realize I jumped on him...

BulldogBear
01-13-2016, 09:33 AM
Pineapples

lastmajordog
01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
I wish he could bring the USC cheerleaders with him. They are by far the hottest in all of college football. Followed by Oregon. Bring some of that West Coast other talent.

Can I get an AMEN !!!!!!!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-13-2016, 10:07 AM

If only Doc Fogelsong would've left the damn yellow dafodils alone we wouldn't have to worry about it**

Get off my lawn! (http://www.picayuneitem.com/2008/02/removal-of-popular-yellow-flowers-at-msu-upsetting-some/)

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-13-2016, 10:09 AM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/59347604.jpg

TrapGame
01-13-2016, 10:18 AM

http://memecrunch.com/meme/2Q5GW/bitch-are-you-serious/image.jpg

maroonmania
01-13-2016, 10:19 AM
You must have forgotten about Joey trapp... Ok, not a good example haha

Charles Siddoway was a pretty good one. He started for 2 years.

gtowndawg
01-13-2016, 11:05 AM
Everything is always a gamble.

Exactly. I don't care who you hire there is a chance of failure. But we need a recruiter, especially with ties outside this area. This make sense in my book. A good, CALCULATED gamble.

FISHDAWG
01-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Didn't realize I jumped on him...

ha - wasn't really directed at you ms7 ... more toward the general consensus

tcdog70
01-13-2016, 12:44 PM
We know he can recruit. So to me that is huge--you know the " Jimmys and Joes". He played in the NFL -so he must know something about defense--He was the interim DC for about 3/4 of a season and did Ok. Dan must feel like he can do the Job. Until we see the product on field it is all just speculation. So I am all in with Him.(until he prove Me wrong).

Jack Lambert
01-13-2016, 02:09 PM

Lets just go to Big 10 country and get some over grown boys. I think we could find some who would love to play SEC football. Plus you get warm weather and pretty southern girls who shave their arm pits and legs.

Taog Redloh
01-14-2016, 02:54 PM
I can't see that it's practical to recruit California players. Croom tried it and got nowhere. He got that Jimmy Miller LB dude who played as a freshman and then transferred to UNLV, and got us the top 3 with some WR out there who ultimately signed with Oregon, can't remember his name. Others are JUCOs, and that's a different game altogether.

We might have a better shot in baseball. I guess if you can get 1 or 2 good ones it might be worth it. But what can MSU actually offer a California athlete in reality? Being trained by Cohen, or playing QB under Mullen, is all I can come up with.