PDA

View Full Version : ULL is files lawsuit! More things come to light

Coach007
01-12-2016, 08:43 PM
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/2016/01/12/ul-sues-act-over-falsified-test-scores/78691766/

The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is suing the Iowa-based company that administers the ACT for failing to report accurate ACT

The suit was announced by UL in a press release after the NCAA announced its ruling on an investigation

The suit alleges ACT administrator Ginny Crager doctored answer sheets for prospective student athletes and that ACT, Inc., "failed to take reasonable precautions to ensure the validity of the test scores it reported."

Starting in 2010, testing sheets for five unnamed student athletes at an ACT testing site in Waynesboro, Mississippi, were being altered to increase the scores and satisfy UL's scoring requirement.

hmmmmm...

"This is bigger than the Ragin? Cajuns. This is bigger than college football. The credibility of college readiness test administration significantly affects higher education and needs to be addressed."

yjnkdawg
01-13-2016, 12:00 AM
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/2016/01/12/ul-sues-act-over-falsified-test-scores/78691766/

hmmmmm...

I bet OM won't be filing a lawsuit against the Company.

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2016, 04:52 AM
Grab some popcorn and have a Coke and a smile, gentlemen. This is about to get interesting.

Been mentioned before but I hope the first question the NCAA asked was why would you drive three hours to take the ACT when you could take it three blocks from your house? If I were the investigator, I'd just ask that and then lean back in my chair and put my hands behind my head and wait for an answer. I bet this ends up in a NCAA rule where you have to take the ACT at the closest spot to your house.

gravedigger
01-13-2016, 07:15 AM

hmmmmm...

1. Lawsuit is crap. ULL knew exactly what they were doing. It will get thrown out before any testimony is given
2. OM will get their come uppance but it looks like the key will be the Saunders fella. NCAA is getting ULL to file lawsuits for them.

1bigdawg
01-13-2016, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=gravedigger;485481]1. Lawsuit is crap. ULL knew exactly what they were doing. It will get thrown out before any testimony is given QUOTE]

It will not get thrown out before the Waynesboro connection has to give a sworn deposition. This is not filed in Mississippi where a UNM judge can throw it out to protect his boys.

gravedigger
01-13-2016, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=gravedigger;485481]1. Lawsuit is crap. ULL knew exactly what they were doing. It will get thrown out before any testimony is given QUOTE]

It will not get thrown out before the Waynesboro connection has to give a sworn deposition. This is not filed in Mississippi where a UNM judge can throw it out to protect his boys.

The school was complicit because they hired Saunders to do this with Wayne county in the first place. Kinda hard to turn around and argue the testing facility duped them. ANY judge would throw it out.

Coach007
01-13-2016, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=1bigdawg;485508]

The school was complicit because they hired Saunders to do this with Wayne county in the first place. Kinda hard to turn around and argue the testing facility duped them. ANY judge would throw it out.

BS! The NCAA even stated Saunders did this without their knowledge. They stated that in writing, and voiced that in their conference call. No judge is going to throw that out.

AusTexDawg
01-13-2016, 11:22 AM
I bet this ends up in a NCAA rule where you have to take the ACT at the closest spot to your house.

While the NCAA has numerous rules that don't necessarily make sense, they would probably need to come up with some kind of "reasonable distance" range for that. I ended up taking the ACT at Wood Jr in Mathiston instead of in Starkville because they offered it on a day and time that worked for my schedule.

yjnkdawg
01-13-2016, 11:47 AM
While the NCAA has numerous rules that don't necessarily make sense, they would probably need to come up with some kind of "reasonable distance" range for that. I ended up taking the ACT at Wood Jr in Mathiston instead of in Starkville because they offered it on a day and time that worked for my schedule.

It is only about a 4 hour drive from Batesville to Waynesboro. so that should be considered a reasonable distance by the NCAA, as they probably couldn't schedule anything any closer to fit their schedule.*****

Coursesuper
01-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Grab some popcorn and have a Coke and a smile, gentlemen. This is about to get interesting.

Been mentioned before but I hope the first question the NCAA asked was why would you drive three hours to take the ACT when you could take it three blocks from your house? If I were the investigator, I'd just ask that and then lean back in my chair and put my hands behind my head and wait for an answer. I bet this ends up in a NCAA rule where you have to take the ACT at the closest spot to your house.

The ACT biz has been going on in Waybo for a long time. Remember Jerrell Powe. Many know about it and who it is that has been helpin miss Ginny. The real question is how far back has the NCAA been digging. If so that is a giant shat storm.

Thick
01-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Ginny lawyered up when the NCAA approached her, but with a lawsuit now looming maybe she cuts a "deal" of some sort and just tells all to relieve the stress and pressure that this has caused her and her family.

Thick
01-13-2016, 12:06 PM

But the question is, how many other ACT testing sites were available that same day, at the same time, that were closer to the testers home. Do you think that the day you took your ACT that Wood was the only available place to take it? Surely not, but I bet it was the closest for you to travel.

Coach007
01-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Ginny lawyered up when the NCAA approached her, but with a lawsuit now looming maybe she cuts a "deal" of some sort and just tells all to relieve the stress and pressure that this has caused her and her family.

I don't think so Krammer! She's not paying... money won't be an issue for her. The other part, I don't know that she would face jail time.. so why worry?

1bigdawg
01-13-2016, 12:22 PM
I don't think so Krammer! She's not paying... money won't be an issue for her. The other part, I don't know that she would face jail time.. so why worry?

Well, she can't take the 5th in a civil suit deposition. She would have to answer questions and lying in a deposition is perjury and a felony. Of course, the deposition is not public record, but just having to sit for it may clear up some issues in her mind.

Thompson92
01-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Y'all might have seen this already, but this article from October says she already denied any wrongdoing in a sworn affidavit. http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2015/10/15/ul-ncaa-probe-who-ginny-crager/73984340/
That statement goes directly against the NCAA report released yesterday.

What a mess.

Mjoelner34
01-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Y'all might have seen this already, but this article from October says she already denied any wrongdoing in a sworn affidavit. http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2015/10/15/ul-ncaa-probe-who-ginny-crager/73984340/
That statement goes directly against the NCAA report released yesterday.

What a mess.

Just the fACTs mam!
http://6.darkroom.shortlist.com/200/06c0c14124ac3edf9d1b46d1ea1993e0:ef61051ca613098de 1e6ca3cdf30f016/dragnet.jpg

BrunswickDawg
01-13-2016, 12:41 PM
It's similar to the standardized test scandal in Atlanta Public School. Teachers and principals were changing the answers to show they were performing up to standards. Upwards of 178 teachers were implicated. Most settled. 12 were prosecuted, with 11 being convicted with sentences of up to 20 years. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Public_Schools_cheating_scandal

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2016, 01:06 PM
I think the NCAA is about to march into Oxford and say this to Freeze and Bjork:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--7rZn8x1k--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_320/17mm73yhxuvjsjpg.jpg

Political Hack
01-13-2016, 01:25 PM
They say in the report two kids from south Florida went all the way there to take the tests.

Mjoelner34
01-13-2016, 01:29 PM
They say in the report two kids from south Florida went all the way there to take the tests.

I wonder if that is the same two that were getting taken care of at the education center?

Jack Lambert
01-13-2016, 01:58 PM

Unless she gets paid off and lawyer fees paid she will come clean.

Political Hack
01-13-2016, 02:02 PM

Most of the time a criminal case is prosecuted before a civil case, but not always. If she's smart, she'll cut a deal to avoid criminal prosecution from the Att General.

And there should be a lot of pressure from everyone living in MS to rid the state of corruption within its educational system. OM brass will try to let this slide, but the people of the state and particularly our educators need to stand up and demand accountability here.

AusTexDawg
01-13-2016, 03:07 PM
But the question is, how many other ACT testing sites were available that same day, at the same time, that were closer to the testers home. Do you think that the day you took your ACT that Wood was the only available place to take it? Surely not, but I bet it was the closest for you to travel.

I agree with you and the others on this thread that a four-hour one-way trip is not what I would call a "reasonable distance," unless you live in Alaska or Montana or some place like that. There had to have been some place in northern MS or Memphis that was offering the ACT on the days in question in the ULL/OM case. I just don't have much confidence that the NCAA could and would write a rule that actually fixes this problem. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Political Hack
01-13-2016, 03:32 PM
I agree with you and the others on this thread that a four-hour one-way trip is not what I would call a "reasonable distance," unless you live in Alaska or Montana or some place like that. There had to have been some place in northern MS or Memphis that was offering the ACT on the days in question in the ULL/OM case. I just don't have much confidence that the NCAA could and would write a rule that actually fixes this problem. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

AGAIN - Kids came from SOUTH FLORIDA to this testing center according to the report.

Coursesuper
01-13-2016, 04:17 PM

She's getting plenty of heppin.

Madkinmecrazy
01-13-2016, 04:42 PM
This reminds me so much of the Derrick Rose / Calipari incident several years ago.

Rose fails the ACT several times in Chicago then travels to Detroit for the SAT and magically passes.

In that instance, the SAT actually invalidated his score - effectively cancelling the test. If I remember right, that is what the NCAA was able to use to punish Memphis, because without having ever "passed" the SAT, he was an ineligible player.

Think something like this could happen to UNM? Maybe this lawsuit will cause the ACT to act and to cancel the scores of all the bears who took it in Waynesboro.

Thompson92
01-13-2016, 04:51 PM
This reminds me so much of the Derrick Rose / Calipari incident several years ago.

Rose fails the ACT several times in Chicago then travels to Detroit for the SAT and magically passes.

In that instance, the SAT actually invalidated his score - effectively cancelling the test. If I remember right, that is what the NCAA was able to use to punish Memphis, because without having ever "passed" the SAT, he was an ineligible player.

Think something like this could happen to UNM? Maybe this lawsuit will cause the ACT to act and to cancel the scores of all the bears who took it in Waynesboro.

They basically did the exact same thing to ULL. The report even refers to Rose. The question is, what has the NCAA found on OM, and when did it occur? They've found a similar academic fraud problem, likely related to the Wayne County ACT center, but over what time period?