PDA

View Full Version : New DC Name: Southern Cal LB/recruiting coordinator Peter Sirmon

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 04:23 PM
Paul is reporting a new candidate and this been the most serious so far and it's close to happening.

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/peter_sirmon_880406.html

his profile said he is the 'Assoc. Head Coach Def.' (whatever that means)

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Coaching history:

USC 2013 - Linebackers Coach
Washington 2012 - 2013 Linebackers Coach
Tennessee 2010 - 2011 Linebackers Coach
Oregon 2009 - 2009 Graduate Assistant
Central Washington University 2008 - 2008 Linebackers Coach

engie
01-12-2016, 04:27 PM
He was damn good as a LB coach and recruiter while at Tennessee. No idea how he would do as a DC. Has never been one.

ScottH
01-12-2016, 04:28 PM
He has vaulted to my first choice.

I must admit he is wind aided by the weak field but 1st nonetheless.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 04:29 PM

Agree. Him and Rhodes could not be more different.

ElitedawgRecruiting
01-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Take it all day long

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2016, 04:32 PM
http://m.usctrojans.com/m/sports/m-footbl/mtt/peter_sirmon_880406.html

drummerdawg
01-12-2016, 04:32 PM
But would he stay longer than a year?

Coach34
01-12-2016, 04:33 PM
A lot better than Rhoades

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Damn, he played in the NFL as well.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Yeah he was a pretty decent player for the Titans. Recruiting coordinator for USC is impressive.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
USC just hired Pendargast, who also coaches LB.

bulldawg28
01-12-2016, 04:36 PM
3 NFL players on a staff is big time!

Irondawg
01-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Would be a boom or bust type for sure.

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2016, 04:37 PM
He is definitely young, he was a grad assistant in 2010 at UT. Only been coaching for 5 years.

Maybe we catch lightening in a bottle.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2016, 04:38 PM
3 NFL players on a staff is big time!

Can we play our coaches? The talent on out defensive staff is Bama-like

HoopsDawg

Agree. I'm a Titans fan and I will take it. He is clearly ambitious as he hasn't stayed at one place for more than 2 years, but could be the energy we need on the recruiting trail and he should do a great job with the LB's.

lawdawg
Any relation to CJ?

ShotgunDawg
He is definitely young, he was a grad assistant in 2010 at UT. Only been coaching for 5 years.

Maybe we catch lightening in a bottle.

He's 38 or 39 played. Played in the NFL for 7 years before coaching.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-12-2016, 04:39 PM
He and Justin Wilcox are close friends and have coached together since 2010. In this article about their relationship at USC, Sirmon states he aspires to be more than a LB's coach.
peter-sirmon-vague-about-friend-justin-wilcox (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151221/usc-interim-defensive-coordinator-peter-sirmon-vague-about-friend-justin-wilcox)

Ifyouonlyknew
01-12-2016, 04:39 PM
Oregon fans were hoping he'd be their new DC.

CadaverDawg
01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Don't be surprised if he is named DC/LB coach & DeShea is given the Co-DC/CB coach title. DeShea wants to be a DC, so this may open the door for at least a title promotion for him and a little more responsibility. Also would explain why the Buckley hire was made & announced first. Just a thought & theory.

I would feel much better about this hire than Rhoads...hands down.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Don't be surprised if he is named DC/LB coach & DeShea is given the Co-DC/CB coach title. DeShea wants to be a DC, so this may open the door for at least a title promotion for him and a little more responsibility. Also would explain why the Buckley hire was made & announced first. Just a thought & theory.

I would feel much better about this hire than Rhoads...hands down.

Buckley hasn't been announced officially yet by State. Also, wasn't DT the DC last year in the bowl game....

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2016, 04:42 PM
I tell ya, Mullen is a hell of a hirer, outside Hev.

This shouldn't be a surprise since he's also a good talent evaluator. People who are good at evaluating players are many times also good at hiring. They are fairly similar.

EAVdog
01-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Also note how this will all be done and announced just in time for our first big visit weekend. Granted I'd love to have landed a whale of a DC but I'll take it. I like going the up and comer route in lieu of the re-tread. Even if it means we're sort of a revolving door at DC.

Like the recruiting angle.

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Pretty sharp young coach. Went from GA to LB coach in one year at TN. That's a quick rise. I am surprised Dan is thinking of going with someone with no DC experience. Must have gotten a real good reference from Wilcox and Helton on how much input and how ready he is to call plays.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure Buckley is official.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-12-2016, 04:52 PM
I am surprised Dan is thinking of going with someone with no DC experience. Must have gotten a real good reference from Wilcox and Helton on how much input and how ready he is to call plays.
Sounds like Cadaver might be on to something with the Co-DC idea.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Pretty sure Buckley is official.

He's unofficially official

He is already recruiting for us, but there has not been a formal press release on his hiring and we don't yet know his title and if it includes recruiting coordinator.

ScoobaDawg
01-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Looks like it's a good thing Allen didn't want to accept the Non-compete. USC hires Pendergast who is going to be allowed to bring in some more NFL coaches I was just told... So even though it's risky with him never being a DC.. he is a good choice I believe... and sure can't ignore his recruiting...

Irondawg
01-12-2016, 05:08 PM
I still think Allen would have been great, but if rumors are true and he didn't like the non-compete it's best for both parties for him not to be here anyway.

I do like that this is Mullen swinging for the fences if this is the guy.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Oregon all but confirmed Sirmon to State.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/Contents/Scoop-on-Peter-Sirmon-42774528

Can confirm he won't be taking a job at Oregon in any capacity.

Expect an announcement on his job status (not at oregon) soon.

msstate7
01-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Where is he from? Choosing us over Oregon is surprising really

maroonmania
01-12-2016, 05:14 PM
I still think Allen would have been great, but rumors are true and he didn't like the non-compete it's best for both parties for him not to be here anyway.

I do like that this is Mullen swinging for the fences if this is the guy.

Seriously, if he is so intertwined with Bucky that he would turn down an SEC DC job because he couldn't go from there to another SEC DC job then good riddance. We didn't need him.

Sacrifice
01-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Good lord, this is definitely a gamble. He has the shortest resume of any DC candidate I've seen. He could be a homerun or could blow up in our face. Damn, Townsend has a better resume than him. Mullen must be hearing something amazing from his former employers.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Where is he from? Choosing us over Oregon is surprising really

It wasn't our DC position vs. theirs

msstate7
01-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Maybe we can get him hired and convince moon to visit

CadaverDawg
01-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Rosebowl saying its a done deal apparently. Announcement tomorrow.

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 05:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdQKJZu21S0

msstate7
01-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Good deal.

fader2103
01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
He has some cousins (I believe) that are from the NW one is a QB and one is ILB that are recruits...hmm

ckDOG
01-12-2016, 05:31 PM
It wasn't our DC position vs. theirs

Not claiming he had an offer or was a serious candidate, but this article out him in the mix:

http://www.pacifictakes.com/oregon-ducks/2016/1/9/10739420/oregon-ducks-justin-wilcox-brady-hoke-pete-kwiatkowski-peter-sirmon-washington-huskies

ScoobaDawg
01-12-2016, 05:33 PM
it's DONE boys!!!!

Lindsey Thiry ‏@LindseyThiry 11m11 minutes ago
USC linebackers coach and recruiting coordinator Peter Sirmon is set to be named the defensive coordinator at Mississippi State.

C222
01-12-2016, 05:33 PM
Peacher nailed this one **

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 05:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtLnvY2aH2I

Another one

BrunswickDawg
01-12-2016, 05:35 PM
This chick from LA Times is reporting it - and I would believe anything she says. Damn, why don't our beat writers look like her?
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/BrunswickDawg/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshdmt7dfq.png (http://s356.photobucket.com/user/BrunswickDawg/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshdmt7dfq.png.html)

engie
01-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Annnnddddd still no announcement from Footballscoop

Sacrifice
01-12-2016, 05:40 PM
From that video it looks like they played a 34 defense at SC. Interesting

confucius say
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM

Don't hold your breath

confucius say
01-12-2016, 05:42 PM
Not sure who to give the credit to, but someone in here posted a week ago that the new dc would probably be someone not discussed on this board. Good call whomever you were.

FISHDAWG
01-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Good lord, this is definitely a gamble. He has the shortest resume of any DC candidate I've seen. He could be a homerun or could blow up in our face. Damn, Townsend has a better resume than him. Mullen must be hearing something amazing from his former employers.

HA - I'm with you sac .... I saw nothing that knocked me over ... only unanswered questions at this point about experience and ability ... then again, I'm not the one who interviewed him and I'm certainly not qualified to conduct such interview ... it does appear by now that we are going to have to chance it and grow our own so to speak ..... but then again, I felt that way about Diaz before his first turn here

maroonmania

Oh well, on to the next candidate. ***

Bama_Dawg
Followed him on Twitter, took a look at his newer followers...lots of State folks there now...

BrunswickDawg
01-12-2016, 05:45 PM
But they had such good USC connections when the reported Hev to USC***

engie
01-12-2016, 05:47 PM
But they had such good USC connections when the reported Hev to USC***

LOL

maroonmania
01-12-2016, 05:49 PM
HA - I'm with you sac .... I saw nothing that knocked me over ... only unanswered questions at this point about experience and ability ... then again, I'm not the one who interviewed him and I'm certainly not qualified to conduct such interview ... it does appear by now that we are going to have to chance it and grow our own so to speak ..... but then again, I felt that way about Diaz before his first turn here

Diaz was already a defensive coordinator though at MTSU when we hired him. Definitely a risk giving a guy this young his first shot as a DC but hopefully it works out. At least he's apparently had a big part in recruiting and a lot of folks here were willing to give Orgeron the DC job essentially based off his recruiting skills.

vv83
01-12-2016, 06:00 PM
What's his recruiting look like? Anyone have a profile of the players he's pulled?

Big4Dawg
01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
http://247sports.com/Coach/Peter-Sirmon-1276

It looks like though USC 247 does it differently than most. All of his targets are LBs. And if you look at all of their commits, they just have their one position coach listed (or Tee Martin).

yjnkdawg

Awww and I thought FootballScoop wanted to "hep" us.****

If it's not something negative on us, then it's not breaking news to the hotty toddy boys at FootballScoop.

Commercecomet24
This is my first time posting on the board. I've been reading since its inception but between work and kids don't really have the time to post. I've been a Bulldog for 51 years. Something I'm seeing that hasnt been mentioned yet. With these last 2 hires of Buckley and now Sirmon, it would appear that Dan is setting us up to recruit on a more national level. Buckley and Sirmon both have ties all over the country and I'm excited about what they bring to the table. Bit of a gamble with no DC experience but looks like it may be worth it! Enjoy reading the board and it's the only place to get reliable info on State!

HailState

Dawgtini
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Well CoachingSearch finally caught up:
Mississippi State: USC linebackers coach Peter Sirmon has accepted the defensive coordinator job at Mississippi State, according to the LA Times and multiple reports. Sirmon has been at USC since 2014 and coached at Tennessee from 2010-11. Keep track of open FBS assistant jobs here.

So did football scoop, but they just said "sources" #mysterious

bulldawg28
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Not sure who to give the credit to, but someone in here posted a week ago that the new dc would probably be someone not discussed on this board. Good call whomever you were.

That was Spider...He was right

engie
01-12-2016, 06:12 PM
This is my first time posting on the board. I've been reading since its inception but between work and kids don't really have the time to post. I've been a Bulldog for 51 years. Something I'm seeing that hasnt been mentioned yet. With these last 2 hires of Buckley and now Sirmon, it would appear that Dan is setting us up to recruit on a more national level. Buckley and Sirmon both have ties all over the country and I'm excited about what they bring to the table. Bit of a gamble with no DC experience but looks like it may be worth it! Enjoy reading the board and it's the only place to get reliable info on State!

HailState

Good call

engie
01-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Well CoachingSearch finally caught up:
Mississippi State: USC linebackers coach Peter Sirmon has accepted the defensive coordinator job at Mississippi State, according to the LA Times and multiple reports. Sirmon has been at USC since 2014 and coached at Tennessee from 2010-11. Keep track of open FBS assistant jobs here.

So did football scoop, but they just said "sources" #mysterious

Coachingsearch isn't run by the OM guy anymore -- it's run by Chris Vannini. And that Roussel brother was significantly more pro-MSU than the other one for whatever reason.

NCDawg
01-12-2016, 06:17 PM
I thought the primary reason Orgeron wasn't the choice was because he had never been a DC, and it was mentioned several times on here that we didn't play good in the Orange Bowl due to the lack of a knowledgeable DC. In any event, if this guy is the choice, he will hopefully turn out to be a good selection, especially if he is a good recruiter.

maroonmania
01-12-2016, 06:21 PM
I thought the primary reason Orgeron wasn't the choice was because he had never been a DC, and it was mentioned several times on here that we didn't play good in the Orange Bowl due to the lack of a knowledgeable DC. In any event, if this guy is the choice, he will hopefully turn out to be a good selection, especially if he is a good recruiter.

Won't matter that he doesn't have prior DC experience, according to many experts on this board Mullen runs the defense anyway.

Outside Dawg
01-12-2016, 06:24 PM
peter-sirmon-vague-about-friend-justin-wilcox (http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20151221/usc-interim-defensive-coordinator-peter-sirmon-vague-about-friend-justin-wilcox)

Based on the first sentence of this article, I fully expect footballscoop, and MSU for that matter, to pull a Miami and say that he was previously the USC DC. That's how we lost a secondary coach to Miami that I had never heard of...

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 06:25 PM
I know I still have reservations because of no DC experience. However, do know he is considered a very sharp up and coming coach that has moved up quickly. Orgeron in all of his years has never had the opportunity to be more than a position coach/recruiter by numerous coaches he was working for at the time when the DC came open. Passed over a lot. But I agree it's a risk with Sirmon

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-12-2016, 06:27 PM
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/FotoeWizard/sirmon.jpg

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Based on the first sentence of this article, I fully expect footballscoop, and MSU for that matter, to pull a Miami and say that he was previously the USC DC. That's how we lost a secondary coach to Miami that I had never heard of...

Do what?

Outside Dawg
01-12-2016, 06:32 PM
Do what?
Footballscoop and Miami reported hiring away our secondary coach because they hired a GA that served the interim role during our bowl. By that criteria, we just hired USCs previous DC.

maroonmania
01-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Footballscoop and Miami reported hiring away our secondary coach because they hired a GA that served the interim role during our bowl. By that criteria, we just hired USCs previous DC.

So was he the interim DC the entire time after Sarkesian was let go? (minus the bowl game)

Outside Dawg
01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
So was he the interim DC the entire time after Sarkesian was let go? (minus the bowl game)

I have no idea. Just going by that article I quoted in my first post saying he was interim in Dec.

Liverpooldawg
01-12-2016, 06:39 PM

They will probabaly say, if they say anything, that we were turned down by all the guys in the rumors they started.

SheltonChoked
01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Just DC in the bowl game I think.

But still has called a game before

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 06:41 PM

I hate scoop but I don't know how you got that:

Mark Richt has announced that Mississippi State defensive assistant Ephraim Banda will join the staff coaching the safeties. Banda served as a grad assistant at the University of Texas and at Mississippi State with Diaz. Richt also formally announced the hire of Stacy Searels and Mike Rumph.

And I haven't seen no body say he was the USC DC

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 06:44 PM
This is what scoop said on our hire

Mississippi State: USC linebackers coach Peter Sirmon will be the new defensive coordinator at Mississippi State sources tell FootballScoop.

Bully13
01-12-2016, 06:46 PM
I think the difference with ogre here is there is a reason for him not elevating above position coach after all the years he's been coaching. This new guy seems to already be getting serious DC looks before we pulled the trigger in his young career. Couple that with crootin and NFL playing, looks like a good hire. I'll be interested to know how much coin we had to drop on him.

Todd4State
01-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Very nice hire that might help us get some West Coast talent. We don't really have anyone else on the staff with that kind of background.

I'll be interested to see if we run a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Todd4State
01-12-2016, 06:51 PM
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u445/FotoeWizard/sirmon.jpg

Based on this he has done a better job than Hevesy at recruiting o-linemen.

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 06:52 PM
DeShea has more experience. Mullen could have hired him. This is a crappy hire. But I'm not surprised. You can dig all you want but nothing qualifies him to be a DC in the SEC, nothing. I need some of you to find the diamonds in my sewage.

JoseBrown
01-12-2016, 06:59 PM
DeShea has more experience. Mullen could have hired him. This is a crappy hire. But I'm not surprised. You can dig all you want but nothing qualifies him to be a DC in the SEC, nothing. I need some of you to find the diamonds in my sewage.

So I'm guessing it's safe to say that you can be counted in the X's and O's camp instead of the recruiter camp***

Sacrifice
01-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Very nice hire that might help us get some West Coast talent. We don't really have anyone else on the staff with that kind of background.

I'll be interested to see if we run a 4-3 or a 3-4.

I was wondering the same thing. In that interview he said there running a 34 D. We have the talent to run that. Green could bring hell off the end from an OLB spot.

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 07:08 PM
So I'm guessing it's safe to say that you can be counted in the X's and O's camp instead of the recruiter camp***

I don't see enough to deem this guy some super recruiter. Damn sure don't see anything that says he's a SEC West DC. I'm sure Saban will cancel his victory vacation to start getting prepared for this monster. Of all the coaches in this country, we are the only SEC team to hire a student. Typical Mullen bullshxt.

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 07:20 PM
I don't see enough to deem this guy some super recruiter. Damn sure don't see anything that says he's a SEC West DC. I'm sure Saban will cancel his victory vacation to start getting prepared for this monster. Of all the coaches in this country, we are the only SEC team to hire a student. Typical Mullen bullshxt.

You are like literally in the 1% of fans that I have seen that hate this hire. Most everybody has been at least optimistic with some part of his resume if not very excited about him. Including many who have been researching him. The vast majority of the fan base is on board and the majority has been expressing that they think it's a great to fantastic hire. Part of the battle was won over some of the other candidates in that the majority is on board.

JoseBrown
01-12-2016, 07:23 PM

I was being..you know, but at least he was part of the number 1 recruiting team last year, top 10 the year before and I've read an excellent recruiter the year at UT. On the other hand, only one game as "X's and o's" guy. But I see your point. That's fine.

I like him because of his pedigree, quotes I've read about him being very energetic, fiery, smart, great recruiter and good LB coach. The rest I'll trust Mullen on, and evidently Oregon wanted him on their staff at some capacity. He's got a great deal of time, practices and scrimmages to learn Mullen's defense...

Oh and in all fairness I just saw Saban saying he had to get ready to hit the road running recruiting Thursday...****

ScottH
01-12-2016, 07:30 PM
I have no idea if Coach Hollywood will be great or a flop.

What I do know is the fear many I spoke to is we would have to settle or take a re-tread.

On the surface, it's the opposite. Sirmon is from a major P5 school, a recruiting coordinator, young and seemingly energetic. He is used to recruiting elite talent. Not to say he will reel them in at MSU but he brings a different perspective to the rest of the staff.

Most importantly the pitch he gives to any of the folks we put him on will be one that has worked on 4/5 stars before and most likely due to where he is coming from not the same ole song these guys have been hearing from everyone else. A fresh approach, if you will.

engie
01-12-2016, 07:30 PM
I don't see enough to deem this guy some super recruiter.
Being the Recruiting Coordinator at USC doesn't say anything to you?

Damn sure don't see anything that says he's a SEC West DC.
What did you see different from Hopson when you were championing him?

was21
01-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Just curious and too damn lazy to look it up. Wondering if Urban Meyer in his HC career ever hired a guy for DC who had never been a DC before..or any other coordinator for that matter. After all, Urban was Dan's mentor.

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Just curious and too damn lazy to look it up. Wondering if Urban Meyer in his HC career ever hired a guy for DC who had never been a DC before..or any other coordinator for that matter. After all, Urban was Dan's mentor.

He promoted Dan from QB coach to OC/QB coach. Addiazo had one year prior experience as OC at Indiana like 5 years before stayed OL coach but Myer promoted him after Dan left. He hired Teryl Austin as DC for his final year and he had never been a DC. DJ Durkin was a LB coach under Meyer then Muschamp then promoted to DC by Muschamp. His OC Brandon at Bowling Green had never been an OC. Luke Fickell had been a long time co-DC at OSU but he promoted him to full DC after Ash left for Rutgers

HancockCountyDog
01-12-2016, 08:33 PM
My concern is that he has never called a defense before. that was my problem with Coach O, and I'm not going to gloss over it with this hire .

Look this could be a homerun hire, but nobody knows. He has no track record to go by. Collins and Diaz both had some record to look at it.

I'm going to give the guy a chance obviously, and I hope everyone else does too.

was21
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
thx for reply...interesting

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Being the Recruiting Coordinator at USC doesn't say anything to you?
Again, 1 year.

What did you see different from Hopson when you were championing him?

If I said anything perceived as "championing" Hopson, bet your life it was in jest.

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 08:48 PM
My concern is that he has never called a defense before. that was my problem with Coach O, and I'm not going to gloss over it with this hire .

Look this could be a homerun hire, but nobody knows. He has no track record to go by. Collins and Diaz both had some record to look at it.

I'm going to give the guy a chance obviously, and I hope everyone else does too.

I agree with you. But I'm on board because I think he is a sharp young coach and I think Dan hires well. With him and TBuck I do honestly believe the recruiting will be better. The only game we know he has called is their bowl game in which they lost 23-21 to WI. It's one game and USCw held them to about their averages. Little lower than their scoring avg. They didn't shut them down but it's a bowl game. So I'm just going to be excited until there is a reason to think it was a mistake and get behind him and give him support to hit the ground running for signing day.

Reason2succeed
01-12-2016, 08:54 PM
I like up and coming coaches because their only way to head coaching is to succeed here. Re-treads can fall back on their prior experience and bail for a lateral move if things don't work out. Basically, I like the intensity it brings out in the coaches.

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Look this guy could be the next Dick LeBeau. But no amount of maroon paint can make this hire look good to me. I think Mullen's reputation in the coaching circle, coupled with his desire to sound himself with beta males is the reason he couldn't/didn't hire a DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

HoopsDawg
01-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Just relieved it's not Rhoads!!

yjnkdawg
01-12-2016, 09:49 PM

My favorite was Allen until he wouldn't agree to those stipulations in the contract. If he doesn't want to agree there, then I agree we don't need him. So, "this is a crappy hire" and Sirmon hasn't even been on the field yet? Maybe you should say this is a crappy hire, based upon your opinion, knowledge and thinking as most don't agree with you. On your comment about Deshea, if Mullen thought he was ready to be a DC, I really think that Mullen would make that call. It appears that he does like to promote from within, when he can. Since this is such a crappy hire in your opinion, who would you hire if you were our coach?

Todd4State
01-12-2016, 10:06 PM
I don't understand any MSU fan that thinks that this is an obviously crappy hire without at least giving him a shot first.

The few videos I've Sirmon coaching are pretty good.

ShotgunDawg
01-12-2016, 10:12 PM
I like up and coming coaches because their only way to head coaching is to succeed here. Re-treads can fall back on their prior experience and bail for a lateral move if things don't work out. Basically, I like the intensity it brings out in the coaches.

Agree.

Always hire employees that are passionate & hungry. The SEC West is a grind & we need coaches that are on their way up & not down.

Both could have the same talent, but the coach on the way up will give that little extra

Spiderman
01-12-2016, 10:35 PM

yjnkdawg
01-12-2016, 10:58 PM
I don't understand any MSU fan that thinks that this is an obviously crappy hire without at least giving him a shot first.

THIS

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 11:04 PM

Because defense in the SEC West is not the place to "give it a shot." Could you please link video of this guy scheming and calling a defense.

msstate7
01-12-2016, 11:11 PM
Because defense in the SEC West is not the place to "give it a shot." Could you please link video of this guy scheming and calling a defense.

So it's fine to let guys be HCs in the sec with no previous experience, but not DCs?

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 11:25 PM
So it's fine to let guys be HCs in the sec with no previous experience, but not DCs?

Apples to oranges. If you're talking about Mullen (and I know....6 straight bowls, greatest MSU coach ever), he had the experience of working for one of best coaches in the game. He learned a System for several years. He called plays. He experienced winning on the highest level. But we are still experiencing his growing pains.

msstate7
01-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Apples to oranges. If you're talking about Mullen (and I know....6 straight bowls, greatest MSU coach ever), he had the experience of working for one of best coaches in the game. He learned a System for several years. He called plays. He experienced winning on the highest level. But we are still experiencing his growing pains.

Dj durkin had no experience, but muschamp hired him. 3 years later, he's Maryland's HC

Really Clark?
01-12-2016, 11:31 PM

Didn't hurt Flordia winning national titles with a first time OC. Kirby Smart had one year experience at Valdosta St 6 years prior then was a position coach again until Saban named him DC. Muschamp also had one year exp at Valdosta St before Saban hired him at LSU. Jeremy Pruitt had never been a DC in college until FSU hired him for the 2013 season. That worked out. Bo Pelinni had never been a DC until NE hired him from the Packers as a LB coach. Saban had never been a DC until hired at MI State, he was a DB coach at Navy. These are no guarantees that he will be successful but many examples of guys who have jumped straight to DC at a Power 5 school and done well.

Barking 13
01-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Won't matter that he doesn't have prior DC experience, according to many experts on this board Mullen runs the defense anyway.

beat me to it... I don't know, but our staff is shaping up to be a bunch of up and comers...

PendingTransaction
01-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Didn't hurt Flordia winning national titles with a first time OC. Kirby Smart had one year experience at Valdosta St 6 years prior then was a position coach again until Saban named him DC. Muschamp also had one year exp at Valdosta St before Saban hired him at LSU. Jeremy Pruitt had never been a DC in college until FSU hired him for the 2013 season. That worked out. Bo Pelinni had never been a DC until NE hired him from the Packers as a LB coach. Saban had never been a DC until hired at MI State, he was a DB coach at Navy. These are no guarantees that he will be successful but many examples of guys who have jumped straight to DC at a Power 5 school and done well.

Man you worked hard on that. I'm convinced..."2* Mullen" has found the next Saban in a 1* DC. He really has y'all convinced that he is some Jedi genius. Hired a out of work coach who opened the bathroom door for him at the coaches convention. I bet y'all still believe he's never losing to the School Up North. Might be the next Pruitt??? The good thing is that the young coach gets to learn from the best defensive mind in Football, Dan Skywalker Mullen.

engie
01-12-2016, 11:56 PM
Could you please link video of this guy scheming and calling a defense.

Holiday Bowl

WesternSkyDawg
01-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Man you worked hard on that. I'm convinced..."2* Mullen" has found the next Saban in a 1* DC. He really has y'all convinced that he is some Jedi genius. Hired a out of work coach who opened the bathroom door for him at the coaches convention. I bet y'all still believe he's never losing to the School Up North. Might be the next Pruitt??? The good thing is that the young coach gets to learn from the best defensive mind in Football, Dan Skywalker Mullen.

Damn, what a p*ssy.

A "1* DC"?? Seriously, dude??

I mean...just... F* ck off with your bullshit.

You question his inexperience. Fine. But sh!tcanning the hire bc he wasn't your choice? And without any credence to the potential upside of the hire?

Are you a "fan" of MSU or not? The hire's been made. Voice your concern. But then quit being a vag and get on board.

Or shut the f*ck up

Either way

engie
01-12-2016, 11:59 PM

Too drunk on a Tuesday.

This guy was going to be a power 5 DC somewhere this season.

CadaverDawg
01-13-2016, 12:02 AM
Damn, what a p*ssy.

A "1* DC"?? Seriously, dude??

I mean...just... F* ck off with your bullshit.

You question his inexperience. Fine. But sh!tcanning the hire bc he wasn't your choice? And without any credence to the potential upside of the hire?

Are you a "fan" of MSU or not? The hire's been made. Voice your concern. But then quit being a vag and get on board.

Or shut the f*ck up

Either way

Hell yes, brother. Quit being a bitch, Pending Transaction. WF '94 say Get your ass on board or get the **** out of the way.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/57/71/3a/57713aca103c42a90968551e7c2a9c3f.gif

yjnkdawg
01-13-2016, 12:04 AM

I guess you could say it is apples to oranges because a HC would have more responsibilities than a DC., It is the same general principle because neither had experience in the particular job they are accepting. Was Buckley's hire acceptable, or do you see a problem there, too?

Maybe we just need to go back prior to the Dan Mullen era.*******

yjnkdawg
01-13-2016, 12:06 AM
Hell yes, brother. Quit being a bitch, Pending Transaction. WF '94 say Get your ass on board or get the **** out of the way.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/57/71/3a/57713aca103c42a90968551e7c2a9c3f.gif

Good one CD.

PendingTransaction
01-13-2016, 12:15 AM
You guys are right. He's OUR DC. Nothing I say or feel will change that. I really hope that we field a great defense. For the record, I'm no p***y. Hail State!

PendingTransaction
01-13-2016, 12:16 AM
P.S., I'm not a bitch either.

WesternSkyDawg
01-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Hail State!

I'm with you there, brother

Jumping on the excitement for the first time since the Belk

Time to close out some croots and get ready for the strongest QB competition in decades

Really Clark?
01-13-2016, 12:43 AM

If you didn't want an answer, you shouldn't have asked the question. And it took about 5 min to make sure I was right on a few facts. How good of a DC he is will play out on the field. He seems like a sharp and bright guy with high energy.

CadaverDawg
01-13-2016, 12:45 AM
You guys are right. He's OUR DC. Nothing I say or feel will change that. I really hope that we field a great defense. For the record, I'm no p***y. Hail State!

Hail State. (And I was messing with u. Kind of.*)

engie
01-13-2016, 12:48 AM
http://www.volnation.com/forum/search.php?searchid=10549891

Tennessee thoughts on Sirmon from multiple threads.... Exceedingly positive....

yjnkdawg
01-13-2016, 12:54 AM

Good to hear and let's look for better things ahead. GO DAWGS AND HAIL STATE!!!!!

Todd4State
01-13-2016, 01:01 AM

What are you talking about? USC expected and hoped to keep Sirmon on staff and the only reason he's not SC's DC is because Clancy Pendergast got fired by the 49ers and USC has a strong connection with him. And on top of that Sirmon was the number one choice for their DC position by most Oregon fans.

Not to mention that USC has a strong history of producing assistants who go on to become really good coaches in not only college football- but the NFL. It's basically a breeding ground. Ever heard of John Robinson, Pete Carroll, Lane Kiffen, Steve Sarkisian, and etc? Orgeron is probably one of the worst they have produced. And even he coached for the Saints for a year.

archdog
01-13-2016, 01:49 AM
But can the new coach give a speech like the guy at the end of Necessary Roughness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEbN6Vnr1g8

SheltonChoked
01-13-2016, 08:36 AM
I cannot link it from a mobile device, but he was the interim DC for USC vs Wisconsin in the Holiday Bowl. So watch that.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Bad thing is if it is a homerun hire, He will be gone in a couple seasons.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2016, 09:52 AM
In all honesty, he may have been the RC but Tee Martin is the one bringing the top talent to USC...

engie

And why is this a bad thing?

dawggoneit
Better than a craptastic hire that sticks around!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2016, 09:58 AM
nothing...I love the rate of turnover for our DC...****

engie
01-13-2016, 10:01 AM
nothing...I love the rate of turnover for our DC...****

What is urban's rate of turnover?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2016, 10:09 AM
I have no idea, I don't keep up with Urban.....?? I didn't realize we were trying to run an Urban Meyer template in the SEC west...

Bama_Dawg
01-13-2016, 10:32 AM

That's fine, if you look at all of the hires, it appears we are grooming DeShea to be DC anyway.

engie
01-13-2016, 10:47 AM
I didn't realize we were trying to run an Urban Meyer template in the SEC west...
Then you haven't been paying attention...

I have no idea, I don't keep up with Urban.....??
The entire SEC defensive coordinators at their current school:
LSU - 1st year
MSU - 1st year
Alabama - 1st year
Auburn - 1st year
UGA - 1st year
Tenn - 1st year
USCe - 1st year
Mizzou - 1st year
Vandy - 2nd year
Florida - 2nd year
aTm - 2nd year
Arky - 3rd year
UK - 4th year
OM - 5th year

Our situation is not in any way abnormal.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2016, 10:47 AM
You guys should listen to Bo Bounds' interview with Chris Wilcoxin this morning about Sirmon.

I think we got a good one. Said Sirmon followed Mullen around the coach's convention basically begging for the job. IMO, that's good. That means he's committed to succeeding here.

Said, "Best recruiter on USC's staff."

ScoobaDawg
01-13-2016, 11:19 AM
What are you talking about? USC expected and hoped to keep Sirmon on staff and the only reason he's not SC's DC is because Clancy Pendergast got fired by the 49ers and USC has a strong connection with him. And on top of that Sirmon was the number one choice for their DC position by most Oregon fans.

Not to mention that USC has a strong history of producing assistants who go on to become really good coaches in not only college football- but the NFL. It's basically a breeding ground. Ever heard of John Robinson, Pete Carroll, Lane Kiffen, Steve Sarkisian, and etc? Orgeron is probably one of the worst they have produced. And even he coached for the Saints for a year.

Exactly.... We have our new DC thanks to the 49ers firing Clancy. Sirmon couldn't stay because they are both LB coaches.

Just FYI, this all went down at the Coaching convention this weekend is what I have been told. More I read, I think we have a young hungry coach who has worked under Nick Aliotti (who was installing a 46 - Bear defensive system that year) (http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/7/24/4545768/oregon-ducks-46-defense-nick-aliotti) and Justin Wilcox who he followed from TN to Washington to USC.... So looking at Wilcox will look show you more of what Sirmon has learned throughout the years.

Some links

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2013/7/31/4566990/uw-huskies-defense-shaq-thompson-justin-wilcox

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/justin-wilcoxs-versatile-defensive-style-is-the-right-fit-for-huskies/

http://reignoftroy.com/2015/09/18/usc-football-justin-wilcox-defense-historically-stout-vs-stanford/

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
01-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Exactly.... We have our new DC thanks to the 49ers firing Clancy. Sirmon couldn't stay because they are both LB coaches.

Just FYI, this all went down at the Coaching convention this weekend is what I have been told. More I read, I think we have a young hungry coach who has worked under Nick Aliotti (who was installing a 46 - Bear defensive system that year) (http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/7/24/4545768/oregon-ducks-46-defense-nick-aliotti) and Justin Wilcox who he followed from TN to Washington to USC.... So looking at Wilcox will look show you more of what Sirmon has learned throughout the years.

Some links

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2013/7/31/4566990/uw-huskies-defense-shaq-thompson-justin-wilcox

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/justin-wilcoxs-versatile-defensive-style-is-the-right-fit-for-huskies/

http://reignoftroy.com/2015/09/18/usc-football-justin-wilcox-defense-historically-stout-vs-stanford/

I hope Sirmon brings the same versatility w/ him. I think Peters or Bryant would be great in that Shaq Thompson role.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-13-2016, 11:36 AM
which otherwise irrelevant team has risen on defense in the last 5 years? oh..nevermind I see the one who has had a DC for 5 years.

engie
01-13-2016, 11:38 AM
which otherwise irrelevant team has risen on defense in the last 5 years? oh..nevermind I see the one who has had a DC for 5 years.

So you would be in favor of Ellis Johnson or Joe Lee Dunn to come back and be our DC just so "we could keep them for awhile"? Wommack is essentially the same as those two. And that's not 5 years -- that's 4 years projected forward. OM has had ONE elite defense in that period of time.

Really Clark?
01-13-2016, 11:48 AM

And the major reason they were elite is at USF. Bottom half of the league this year, you know his 5th season. Womack at best in his career has had a few above avg defenses. DJ Durkin was elite his first year to ever be a DC. Although it was set up. Boy did he really tank after that though.