PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones got first team reps today

hacker
08-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Guys, I'm still a bit worried about him being too fat and slow. **

CadaverDawg
08-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow. First team reps already. And he was supposed to be "raw".

I saw where Blaine Clausell said something to the effect of, "when he polishes up his technique a little more, he will be unblockable". Or something like that.

Clausell also said that our defense was so difficult to block so far because there are guys flying everywhere and it is super confusing to the offense. I like hearing that. Not only does it make me feel wooly about the defense, it also means that a "normal" scheme should appear easier to our offense when other teams run a more standard D.

EAVdog
08-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Guys, I'm still a bit worried about him being too fat and slow. **

:cool:

msstate7
08-07-2013, 09:44 PM
So was Autry or Smith opposite CJ?

messageboardsuperhero
08-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Jones is a monster in the making, and I love his attitude. He takes pride in working hard and having a non-stop motor. Hopefully that rubs off on Evans; then we'd really be cooking with fire on the D-Line.

FlabLoser
08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I like that Jones seems so egar to learn. He had no illusions of coming in and talenting his way through the SEC.

Coach34
08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
It could be a scenario where they wanted to throw him in there to see how he reacts- Quay and Nick got 1st team reps last year and we saw how that turned out.

But it also could be that he really is performing well and will be in the rotation from Game 1- and that is what we all hope to see.

Django_DB
08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Ballers gonna ball. The other DE's better produce or the Jones era starts this year

ShotgunDawg
08-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Ballers gonna ball. The other DE's better produce or the Jones era starts this year

The Jones era WILL start this year and it has nothing to do with how the other DE s play. He was the number 2 recruit in America for a reason. I find it funny how, because we haven't had many guys rated this high, we think about him in the same way we have thought about other freshman the last 4 years.

This guy is a 10 pick talent, he would likely be getting 1st team reps at Bama and LSU as well because there are only about 15-20 people on the planet with his raw talent. Let that sink it.

Coach 57
08-08-2013, 06:21 AM
I chime in on this a bit. I have said all off season that Jones wouldn't play at DE much if any this yr. I still cling to that ever so slightly. But I can tell you this from watching him this weekend. This kid I saw this weekend is NOT the same kid I saw in Louisville, MS in the playoffs. The kid I saw this weekend had inside moves, decent footwork and was FAR stronger! If (and it's a big if) he plays SUBSTANTIAL minutes it'll be a situation where he stunts inside or is IN FACT inside. He's too explosive & athletic for most OGs. This kid is a beast! I watched a kid from Houston wreck Louisville's offense with PURE speed, athletic ability & an occasional bull rush on their pretty sub par strong side offense. It got to the point where they doubled him & chipped him with a release back in Louisville. He didn't have inside rips, push pull techniques, and an inside swim. The kid I saw this weekend DID. I'm going to tell you this, I have been a Bulldawg a LONG time. He COULD be the most physically gifted DL I have seen in Starkville period!

FlabLoser
08-08-2013, 06:43 AM
http://loveofrugs.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/woolcap.jpg

Barking 13
08-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Wow. First team reps already. And he was supposed to be "raw".

I saw where Blaine Clausell said something to the effect of, "when he polishes up his technique a little more, he will be unblockable". Or something like that.

Clausell also said that our defense was so difficult to block so far because there are guys flying everywhere and it is super confusing to the offense. I like hearing that. Not only does it make me feel wooly about the defense, it also means that a "normal" scheme should appear easier to our offense when other teams run a more standard D.

Consider the source.. I love Blaine, but for now, he needs to learn the snap count...

CadaverDawg
08-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Consider the source.. I love Blaine, but for now, he needs to learn the snap count...

I agree to an extent, but Clausell is a source that has seen damn near every DLineman in the SEC in his career. That's a pretty good source.

And I think Clausell will be good this year

Homedawg
08-08-2013, 08:11 AM
It could be a scenario where they wanted to throw him in there to see how he reacts- Quay and Nick got 1st team reps last year and we saw how that turned out.

But it also could be that he really is performing well and will be in the rotation from Game 1- and that is what we all hope to see.

That's possible. There is a major difference though, attitude. Jones first workout w Balis, he threw up in the last 7 of 8 circuits. He kept going as hard as he could go. On the other hand, we are still holding James and Evans' hands every day on and off the field. They both have major issues. Not saying CJ is perfect, but he is eager to learn and isn't a major problem child.

FISHDAWG
08-08-2013, 08:12 AM
^^^ ha ^^^ please pass the wool

Coach34
08-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Quay is separating himself from James is my understanding

msstate7
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Quay is separating himself from James is my understanding

Maybe quay moving ahead will wake up James. Are these 2 roommates?

mic
08-08-2013, 09:54 AM
we have got to have 2 DL step up out of these 5
Quay.. Nelson.. Virges.. James.. Washington..
we get that our DL will be sick..

CadaverDawg
08-08-2013, 10:06 AM
we have got to have 2 DL step up out of these 5
Quay.. Nelson.. Virges.. James.. Washington..
we get that our DL will be sick..

You talking about in addition to Eulls and PJ, right? I agree. And I feel like Virges will take the step this year that we expected him to take last year. And if we can't get Quay or Nick to step up this year, I'll begin to wonder if they ever will.

Hell, even if they can just give us 80% effort for half the snaps, they will be better than most DL in the league. I really wish something would snap in their heads that makes them want to prove to the world how great they are.....but I spent 3 years wishing the same thing about Renardo. (And I am not saying either is like Renardo, just saying that some guys never have that light come on.). Hopefully the light comes on for these two, and I think it will since they are still only Sophomores

mic
08-08-2013, 11:54 AM
You talking about in addition to Eulls and PJ, right? I agree. And I feel like Virges will take the step this year that we expected him to take last year. And if we can't get Quay or Nick to step up this year, I'll begin to wonder if they ever will.

Hell, even if they can just give us 80% effort for half the snaps, they will be better than most DL in the league. I really wish something would snap in their heads that makes them want to prove to the world how great they are.....but I spent 3 years wishing the same thing about Renardo. (And I am not saying either is like Renardo, just saying that some guys never have that light come on.). Hopefully the light comes on for these two, and I think it will since they are still only Sophomores
yes in addition to PJ and Eulls.. and we actually need one of those 2 to make a HUGE impact..

AlSwearengen
08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
wtf has happened with james? I thought he was doing great in the spring and having a great time.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2013, 12:42 PM
I agree to an extent, but Clausell is a source that has seen damn near every DLineman in the SEC in his career. That's a pretty good source.

And I think Clausell will be good this year

Clausell is already good. Sure, he has a false start every now and then. So does every other lineman in the history of football. Shit happens. Everyone still remembers him as a freshman, but he's a completely different player now. He'd start at most of the other SEC schools.

War Machine Dawg
08-08-2013, 12:43 PM
wtf has happened with james? I thought he was doing great in the spring and having a great time.

Excellent question. Hopefully someone here has the answer. Because the Nick James I saw at the Maroon-White Game was a completely different person from an attitude standpoint.

MSUDawg4Life
08-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Excellent question. Hopefully someone here has the answer. Because the Nick James I saw at the Maroon-White Game was a completely different person from an attitude standpoint.

You're wasting your time if you expect anyone here to have an accurate answer.

archdog
08-08-2013, 03:52 PM
You're wasting your time if you expect anyone here to have an accurate answer.

They will get it going. I for one am not worried about it.

mic
08-08-2013, 04:35 PM

I think he HATES to practice unless its full contact and not sure how much he likes period..

DogBanker
08-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I have been to two OLine/DLine camps with Nick James at MGCCC. We convinced one of our guys, who happens to be playing a Okie State now, to call him out. After hearing me tell him Nick James couldn't hold his jock, he called the guy out in the middle of the field on the last night we were there. Steve Campbell had to hold James back from my buddy at first, he was that mad at getting called out. They get down in their stance, Campbell blows the whistle. James knocks down my buddy with a bull rush, looks over him, and walks to the dummy. In front of everyone. The next day at that camp James sent someone to the hospital with a dislocated shoulder, his swim move was that good. Maybe we need to get Dorsett Davis on the phone and let him talk to him. Nick really responded to him.

As far as Quay, he didn't go home any this summer. He stayed in Starkville. Hopefully the light has finally turned on for the guy. I saw him my sophmore year play against Tylertown, Tubby's SR. year. TTown had the ball on Morton's one. They fumble, Quay picks it up and runs it back the other way 99 yards for a touchdown. No one was 20 yards around him, and they had some boys who could run legit 4.4s. Tre Stallings was standing next to us at that game and was just shaking his head at how talented Quay was. The guy is a rare talent.

gravedigger
08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
In the practices I watched James had a tough time controlling his emotions. His talent and size and speed are fine. He just has to learn to focus. Got called out by a couple of coaches and he just doesn't respond well. I feel like when the game time comes, he'll be ready. If for no other reason than the television stage is where he's going to earn his right to keep playing one day and being out of control emotionally is not going to get him there.

I have no problems believing our defense will do what is necessary to win us ball games and keep us in ball games to allow us to win with offense. It's the offensive tackle position and the offensive playcalling that has me concerned.

We cannot be predictable and we are going to have to keep our qb's off the ground. EVERYONE in the sec that we need to beat this year has kids like our Defensive front 7.

Quay is another story. Some kids are late bloomers. I think he'll get with the program and step up to his potential too. He had already climbed to working with the 1st team by last weekend in spots. His problem was that his stamina might be in a bit of question. He came out a lot of plays where he seemed pretty winded. But between snaps he was just fine.

Autry was just fine. PJ was fine but he had a bit of a gimpy ankle for a couple of practices. Virges looked very good. And our linebacking corps are VERY DEEP.

Defensively, we have to have people step up at safety and not just have a highlight reel hit on occasion. We are going to have to ball hawk and intercept some to leave the oppositions offensive coaches to run at our strength....the front 7.